NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pupils allowed to smoke at school

5 posters

Go down

Pupils allowed to smoke at school Empty Pupils allowed to smoke at school

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Students aged 14 to 16 at the Honeyhill Pupil Referral Unit in Peterborough are allowed two supervised off-site smoking breaks each day, with parental consent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-26480334

Thoughts on this..........

As they have to 18 to purchase them who is doing the buying ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pupils allowed to smoke at school Empty Re: Pupils allowed to smoke at school

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Special kids by any chance?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:38 pm

At first I was like, what the hell? But after reading the source article and seeing their explanation, it does make some sense.

Claire George said allowing smoking stopped some pupils from "absconding".

Peterborough MP Stewart Jackson said he had asked the city council, which runs the unit, to review the policy.

Ms George said: "Pupils who attend Honeyhill do so because they have failed, many more than once, in mainstream education.

"They are amongst the most challenged and challenging young people within the city and most have complex issues."

Pupils have also been offered support to stop smoking
The school's approach to keeping them in the education system therefore had to be "different", she said.

"Our approach is that pupils who already smoke on admission can, with parental consent, have up to two 10-minute, off-site, fully supervised smoking breaks a day.

"We appreciate that some people will not agree with this approach, but we have found it far more effective than simply banning smoking, which our experience shows us leads to pupils not attending school or absconding during the day to smoke unsupervised, often in dangerous situations.

"All pupils are required to hand in smoking-related materials at the beginning of each day," she said.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Why should some get the rules bent...... Especially the ones who bent the rules or can't live with them in the first place.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I have to say I agree with Ben on this it is the lesser of two evils.

Besides they will probably share their spliffs with Sir later on.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 pm

I fail to comprehend why the out of control respect nobody nor anything get away with whatever they wish. IMO a very bad precedent being set for their future
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:39 pm

gerber wrote:I fail to comprehend why the out of control respect nobody nor anything get away with whatever they wish.  IMO a very bad precedent being set for their future

To me, you can either sit there and thump the rule book, ineffectively, out of principle, or you can take positive steps to get these kids re-engaged in their education. I'd prefer the latter; we're always going to have smokers anyway, at least for the rest of our lifetimes. Better a functioning member of society who smokes than a potential criminal with squeaky-clean lungs, right?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
gerber wrote:I fail to comprehend why the out of control respect nobody nor anything get away with whatever they wish.  IMO a very bad precedent being set for their future

To me, you can either sit there and thump the rule book, ineffectively, out of principle, or you can take positive steps to get these kids re-engaged in their education. I'd prefer the latter; we're always going to have smokers anyway, at least for the rest of our lifetimes. Better a functioning member of society who smokes than a potential criminal with squeaky-clean lungs, right?

it is not the smoking persay but the allowances that are made never appreciated and when they leave two fingers are stuck up at the staff
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm

gerber wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

it is not the smoking persay but the allowances that are made never appreciated and when they leave two fingers are stuck up at the staff

Maybe they do now, but when they grow up they might appreciate the lengths people went to to get them an education, at least some might. To me the effort is worth it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

No, no and no!
Fucking hell....NO!!!!

Smoking is not a habit to me encouraged ergo schools should not encourage it.
If pupils are absconding to smoke, let them, their loss, too bloody bad.
What is this world coming to when we say it's ok to,let our underage kids smoke AND give them a place to do it ?????

It's bollocks.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Special kids by any chance?

Shame they never found out you were 'special' when you were young and put you in one of those schools Andy, you might have been a decent human being by now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:17 pm

gerber wrote:Students aged 14 to 16 at the Honeyhill Pupil Referral Unit in Peterborough are allowed two supervised off-site smoking breaks each day, with parental consent.

I don't think it's illegal in England to buy cigarettes on behalf of someone under 18, although it is in Scotland.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
gerber wrote:Students aged 14 to 16 at the Honeyhill Pupil Referral Unit in Peterborough are allowed two supervised off-site smoking breaks each day, with parental consent.

I don't think it's illegal in England to buy cigarettes on behalf of someone under 18, although it is in Scotland.

It may not be but the under 18s cannot buy for themselves. so someone is supplying................ I can't afford to smoke these days who can ?.........

Ah! The ones who are misguided, on the wrong tracks and they are kept happy...................... So who is buying ?

Wrong wrong wrong.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Their chav parents will be supplying them.

Out of their ADHD and autism money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Their chav parents will be supplying them.

As I said, it's a shame they didn't pick up about you when you were young. Your lack of empathy and severe anti social traits seem to show you might be that way yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:39 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Their chav parents will be supplying them.

I have a feeling in my waters you are spot on....... I cannot afford to smoke....... how on earth can they......

I cannot afford to go window shopping on a daily basis 'cause I cannot afford the parking..................and we do not have a bus service that gets me to where I want to go.

Fed up to the back teeth that may just be there next month... As I cannot afford to go to the Dentist either......

and these good for nothing detest all that is given to them on a plate. and will not accept the good will and education get it all for free.......

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:36 am

Sassy wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Special kids by any chance?

Shame they never found out you were 'special' when you were young and put you in one of those schools Andy, you might have been a decent human being by now.

I couldn't agree more Sassy. How perceptive you are.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:40 am

recanter wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I couldn't agree more Sassy. How perceptive you are.

Uncalled for. How do you know he isn't ? Supposition at best. Getting on the band wagon as it is free cheap points.

Not a conversation for a Friday evening.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down