NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad?

5 posters

Go down

Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad? Empty Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad?

Post by Syl Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:09 am

Assuming you have been double jabbed and prepared to fork out and go to the added trouble of providing a negative Covid test both for flying out and flying back, and taking in the consideration that you may have to quarantine on return, will you be risking a trip to more exotic or cultural places this summer?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad? Empty Re: Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad?

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Apparently, the double jab isn't enough. Now, with the Delta variant, you need a booster shot...and four weeks to see if it took.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad? Empty Re: Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad?

Post by Maddog Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:21 pm

I live in an exotic place. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Not here, not yet anyway. Booster shots will be available from September, starting with the most vulnerable.

I just can't be bothered with booking a holiday abroad this year, too much uncertainty and too much hassle.

In any case, whilst the weather stays so nice we have some glorious countryside locally and some great coastal areas an hour or two drive away.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Syl wrote:Not here, not yet anyway. Booster shots will be available from September, starting with the most vulnerable.

I just can't be bothered with booking a holiday abroad this year, too much uncertainty and too much hassle.

In any case, whilst the weather stays so nice we have some glorious countryside locally and some great coastal areas an hour or two drive away.

Flying is a hassle, and I enjoy driving. I'm kicking around the idea of going back to Colorado for a few days, where it's much cooler.

But I have my youngest's wedding in two months and it's out if town.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:28 pm

Syl wrote:Not here, not yet anyway. Booster shots will be available from September, starting with the most vulnerable.

They're now calling it the pandemic of the unvaccinated. But they're assuming everyone is spreading, because they can't trust anyone's word. So, it's back to facemasks, social distancing and restricted travel.

I'm afraid if we went out-of-country, we couldn't get back.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Maddog wrote:

Flying is a hassle, and I enjoy driving. I'm kicking around the idea of going back to Colorado for a few days, where it's much cooler.

I don't mind flying....well we are an island, if we want to get anywhere fast we have no choice.
I enjoy being driven rather than driving, especially if we are in Wales, it's so scenic there.

This is your last daughter to be married isn't it?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:47 pm

Original Quill wrote:

They're now calling it the pandemic of the unvaccinated.  But they're assuming everyone is spreading, because they can't trust anyone's word.  So, it's back to facemasks, social distancing and restricted travel.

We can fly out to more places now, and fly back in.
There is, we have just been told, yet another new variant that is classed as 'cause for concern' here.... 16 cases so far, linked to oversea's travel.

Our border control has been rubbish from the start,
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

They're now calling it the pandemic of the unvaccinated.  But they're assuming everyone is spreading, because they can't trust anyone's word.  So, it's back to facemasks, social distancing and restricted travel.

We can fly out to more places now, and fly back in.
There is, we have just been told,  yet another new variant that is classed as 'cause for concern' here.... 16 cases so far, linked to oversea's travel.

Our border control has been rubbish from the start,

That's what I mean. They can close the gates any time.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:26 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I don't mind flying....well we are an island, if we want to get anywhere fast we have no choice.
I enjoy being driven rather than driving, especially if we are in Wales, it's so scenic there.

This is your last daughter to be married isn't it?

She's the last one.

I don't mind the act of flying. It's the hassle of airports, car rentals and the like.

But I guess it would be a haul to drive to Switzerland or Spain.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Is it too late this year to enjoy a summer holiday abroad? Screen60

Manchester to Barcelona wouldn't be too bad.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:39 pm

When you can take a 2 hour flight why drive for 19 hours?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Syl wrote:When you can take a 2 hour flight why drive for 19 hours?

Because that's part of the adventure. I'll admit 19 hours is a bit long, but from your front door to the front door of the hotel would be more than 2 hours. And it sorta matters where you are going and if you need a car.

I think the road trip is more of an American thing.

If Thelma and Louise were Brits, they would have taken trains and the movie would be a lot different.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:When you can take a 2 hour flight why drive for 19 hours?

Because that's part of the adventure.  I'll admit 19 hours is a bit long, but from your front door to the front door of the hotel would be more than 2 hours.  And it sorta matters where you are going and if you need a car.

If Thelma and Louise were Brits, they would have taken trains and the movie would be a lot different.

We were going to set out on a road trip last summer, round Cornwall and South Wales, nothing planned, just pack a bag, get in the car, and go....Covid got in the way of that.
Going abroad I prefer to get to where I am going.

Maybe Thelma and Louise would still be alive today if they had taken the train. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Because that's part of the adventure.  I'll admit 19 hours is a bit long, but from your front door to the front door of the hotel would be more than 2 hours.  And it sorta matters where you are going and if you need a car.

We were going to set out on a road trip last summer, round Cornwall and South Wales, nothing planned, just pack a bag, get in the car, and go....Covid got in the way of that.
Going abroad I prefer to get to where I am going.

Maybe Thelma and Louise would still be alive today if they had taken the train. Twisted Evil

To be fair, I have never driven "abroad" except when I was a child we drove into Canada.

Most of us want no part of driving into Mexico. There are safe places, but you have to drive through so many dangerous places now to get there.

And those are our only two options.

But I would love to drive around Europe. Starting in Scotland, going south, through the Chunnel into France. Stop at Paris, drive to the Alps. Maybe the Czech Republic down to Rome. That would be so much more fun than flying to one destination to me.

And Thelma and Louise damn sure had fun.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Driving round GB can be glorious......sometimes.

Recently it took us 7 hours to travel just over 200 miles.
No motorway, road works, traffic jams,....nightmare.

And as for driving in Paris....if you enjoy the dodgem cars....you will love it. Shocked

Thelma and Louise did have fun, but then they also had Brad Pitt, before Angelina ruined him.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 am

Syl wrote:Driving round GB can be glorious......sometimes.

And as for driving in Paris....if you enjoy the dodgem cars....you will love it. Shocked

Thelma and Louise did  have fun, but then they also had Brad Pitt, before Angelina ruined him.

My oldest lives 200 miles from me and I can get there in 3 hours. I guess I forget how wide open we are once you get outside of town. Even our 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere are 75 mph, and you will get passed at that speed.

My second oldest was in Paris just before the Rona and said it was a shit show in terms of getting around. Uber was the best way to cover any distance. I wouldn't want to cruise around Paris. Just drive their and hang out and then blow through the French countryside to the Alps..
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:53 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:Driving round GB can be glorious......sometimes.

Thelma and Louise did  have fun, but then they also had Brad Pitt, before Angelina ruined him.

My oldest lives 200 miles from me and I can get there in 3 hours. I guess I forget how wide open we are once you get outside of town. Even our 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere are 75 mph, and you will get passed at that speed.  

My second oldest was in Paris just before the Rona and said it was a shit show in terms of getting around. Uber was the best way to cover any distance. I wouldn't want to cruise around Paris. Just drive their and hang out and then blow through the French countryside to the Alps..

We estimated around four and a half hours tops because there is no motorway most of the way, but it was the road works, breakdowns, and miles of standing traffic that caused the delays.

Driving from here to Wales for years, half of the drive was also none motorway, it would take over 2 hours for the 120 mile journey. But that was a truly enjoyable drive...beautiful scenery.

We used taxi's in Paris, my OH drove for a living, and even he had his hands over his eyes a few times when we were travelling through the centre of Paris.
The best way to get around was by Metro or Batobus.

I never explored the French countryside, it would be lovely though...specially in Spring.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

We estimated around four and a half hours tops because there is no motorway most of the way,  but it was the road works, breakdowns, and miles of standing traffic that caused the delays.

Driving from here to Wales for years, half of the drive was also none motorway, it would take  over 2  hours for the 120 mile journey. But that was a truly enjoyable drive...beautiful scenery.

We used taxi's in Paris, my OH drove for a living, and even he had his hands over his eyes a few times when we were travelling through the centre of Paris.
The best way to get around was by Metro or Batobus.

I never explored the French countryside, it would be lovely though...specially in Spring.

They were having protests so some of the bridges over the Seine were closed. The cops were forcing people to take different routes which forced pedestrians on the the Metro. She and her husband saw the doors open, and the mass of humanity already crammed in the train and said "nope".

We will Uber.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

I’ve had many, many holidays abroad and these days I cannot afford them at the moment.

But even if I could, I wouldn’t want to waste the extortionate amount of money they want. It’s just not worth the money in my opinion.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:I’ve had many, many holidays abroad and these days I cannot afford them at the moment.

But even if I could, I wouldn’t want to waste the extortionate amount of money they want. It’s just not worth the money in my opinion.

You should bring that wild child and your husband to Texas when you get a chance.

I don't recommend trying to drive here though.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:I’ve had many, many holidays abroad and these days I cannot afford them at the moment.

You should bring that wild child and your husband to Texas when you get a chance.

I don't recommend trying to drive here though.

My wild child loves Texas! When we can afford to fly, Texas is definitely our first choice of destination.
We want to see our Texan family.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 pm

Never had a holiday abroad before, never had that many holidays period -- I'm really looking forward to my first.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down