NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's.

+6
gelico
Maddog
Vintage
Original Quill
Cass
Syl
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Empty Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's.

Post by Syl Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Furious Cornish shoppers are threatening to boycott their local Sainsbury's after the supermarket displayed a picture showing a scone with clotted cream on first underneath jam.  

Regulars at the Sainsbury's in Truro say they will take their money elsewhere after noticing an image of the treat on the store wall.

People in Cornwall have always put jam on first - while Devon folk start with the clotted cream."

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 42230610

Mind you, surely employing a photographer with this expression is just asking for trouble.  Razz

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 42230611

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9512167/Furious-Cornish-shoppers-threaten-boycott-local-Sainsburys-cream-tea-row.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Empty Re: Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's.

Post by Maddog Sun May 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Syl wrote:
Caution wrote:

Americans don't know how to make a real scone, yeah, our biscuit is closer, but still not quite there. Our scones are so dry, they more resemble a rock cake.

I tried my hand at a REAL scone not that long ago. I was able to find imported British jam, and then I baked up a traditional British recipe.

The clotted cream turned out to be a bit of a chore because I couldn't find it in any of the markets. I decided to make my own, but it took a bit of effort to find a market which sold the correct type of heavy whipping cream, and by that I mean it's not ultra-pasteurized. It can only be "pasteurized" to work properly. But once I found some, It worked out fantastic. 12 hours in the oven, overnight in the fridge. Like a charm!

You must have fancied those scones really badly to go to all that trouble. Laughing

Way too much work for a biscuit. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Empty Re: Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's.

Post by Original Quill Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

The work wasn't in the biscuit (scone).  It was in the clotted cream, as Caution says.  I make scones all the time.  Just do without the clotted cream, as it's way too fattening anyway.

Before we mix up scones, a Scottish delicacy, originated in the Scottish royal city of Scone, with clotted cream, first imported by Phoenicians to Cornwall, we should note that scones can be served in a variety of ways.  You could substitute whipped cream, but why bother?  Just serve the hot scones with butter and jam, the way the Scots did originally.

Incidentally, in America scones are not biscuits.  Biscuits are commonly considered to be dinner rolls in the US, served hot with butter.  Scones are an exotic substitute for toast, generally served at breakfast.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sun May 09, 2021 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 pm

You Yanks are SO odd. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Syl wrote:You Yanks are SO odd. Wink

I speak, not as a Yank, but as a Scot.  Scones have only lately been co-opted by Cornwall, and the rest of England.  The name of the sweet bread is based on the town of Scone in Scotland, the ancient capital of that country – where Scottish monarchs were crowned, and on whose Stone of Scone the monarchs of the United Kingdom are still crowned today.

If you want the real thing, go to Scotland.  Wink

Last edited by Original Quill on Sun May 09, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:You Yanks are SO odd. Wink

I speak, not as a Yank, but as a Scot.  Scones have only lately been co-opted by Cornwall, and the rest of England.  If you want the real thing, go to Scotland.

I don't care where they originated from 600 years ago I care what they taste like now. Wink

They have to be served warm with jam and clotted cream (in that order) preferably with coffee not tea....sat outside a lovely quaint hotel overlooking a beautiful lake (our favourite place to eat them is in Wales) NOTHING tastes nicer.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I speak, not as a Yank, but as a Scot.  Scones have only lately been co-opted by Cornwall, and the rest of England.  If you want the real thing, go to Scotland.

I don't care where they originated from 600 years ago I care what they taste like now. Wink

They have to be served warm with jam and clotted cream (in that order) preferably with coffee not tea....sat outside a lovely quaint hotel overlooking a beautiful lake (our favourite place to eat them is in Wales) NOTHING tastes nicer.

Like I said, if you want the real thing, go to Scone, Scotland. Scone is a daytrip, by car, north of Edinburgh. It's just northeast of Perth. Get there early enough, you can have them for breakfast.

Clotted cream, pshaw... Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Like I said, if you want the real thing, go to Scone, Scotland.  Scone is a daytrip, by car, north of Edinburgh.  It's just northeast of Perth.  Get there early enough, you can have them for breakfast.

Clotted cream, pshaw...  Rolling Eyes

I have never been to Scotland Quill....I hate the cold and I hate the midges.
I love the accents and men in Kilts are OK too....so I don't rule out popping up there this year, especially as we don't have to fly to get there.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm

I love the cold and the moors. The midges never seem to bother with me.  It makes Scotland a spooky, but enticing place.  You want to explore castles, see the coos, and perhaps meet a ghost or two.  Lol

But the last time I was there, it was all sun...and I got a tan.  Such a wonderful place.  I'm an islander, and I might retire on Mull.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun May 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Great. I have no access to clotted cream or jam or scones unless I make them and I’m HANGRY now. Thanks a bunch you lot.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 10, 2021 2:50 am

Syl wrote:I don't rule out popping up there this year, especially as we don't have to fly to get there.

There used to be a Flybmi flight from Heathrow to Glasgow; but the company filed for administration in 2019. Someone must have picked up the route.

Just a hop. Rent a car and off you go. Anywhere in Scotland is just a short commute, compared to the US.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon May 10, 2021 3:53 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Well looks like you're stuck with English Muffuns.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Muffins are a small round bread...often toasted, in they have currants in them they are then called teacakes. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Muffins are a small round bread...often toasted, in they have currants in them they are then called teacakes. Rolling Eyes

I liked teacakes as a kid. With butter, cream cheese and jelly.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 pm

What sorta of bastardized name do the Brits have for bagels? Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Maddog wrote:What sorta of bastardized name do the Brits have for bagels? Wink

Errrr, bagels. Cool

Filled with smoked salmon and cream cheese....love them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:What sorta of bastardized name do the Brits have for bagels? Wink

Errrr, bagels. Cool

Finally, something you haven't attached a weird name to.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Errrr, bagels. Cool

It's you who calls scones biscuits and jam jelly. Rolling Eyes
The jewish community introduced us Brits to bagels, unlike scones we didn't invent them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The jewish community introduced us Brits to bagels, unlike scones we didn't invent them.

We invented biscuits, so there. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

We were eating biscuits ages before the USA was even invented. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

With gravy?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

With gravy?

With afternoon tea. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 12:35 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

With gravy?

https://www.blessthismessplease.com/homemade-biscuits-and-gravy/
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 12:51 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Sorry, it looks disgusting to me. pale

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 1:02 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Sorry, it looks disgusting to me. pale

It's lovely. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 6:15 pm

This is what a good afternoon tea should look like (prosecco instead of a pot of tea is always a good substitute)
I have booked for this in a few weeks time, a wine tasting tour of their vineyards is included.

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 C700x410
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Caution likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Syl wrote:This is what a good afternoon tea should look like (prosecco instead of a pot of tea is always a good substitute)
I have booked for this in a few weeks time, a wine tasting tour of their vineyards is included.

Meh. Doesn't look very hearty.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Tue May 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Syl wrote:This is what a good afternoon tea should look like (prosecco instead of a pot of tea is always a good substitute)

Looks tasty! Thanks for sharing.
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 pm

Afternoon tea isn't supposed to be hearty. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Caution wrote:

Thank you Caution, it's nice to see we have some class on here that appreciates the nice little touches. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Syl wrote:Afternoon tea isn't supposed to be hearty. Rolling Eyes

My afternoon tea is a gatorade and some beef jerky.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm

The bread seems a bit wilted...and the strawberry is overripe.  Where is that?  Is it humid there?

Come to the California wine country, just up the street...

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Napa-Wine-Country

Last edited by Original Quill on Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Caution wrote:

Thank you Caution, it's nice to see we have some class on here that appreciates the nice little touches. Wink

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Cavema10

Stop judging me. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Cavema10

Stop judging me. Cool

lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:

The bread seems a bit wilted...and the strawberry is overripe.  Where is that?  Is it humid there?

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 Napa-Wine-Country

Stop being so picky. snobby

It's Holmfirth, W Yorkshire.

If you have ever seen the TV series 'Last of the summer wine', that's where it was filmed...it's a beautiful place.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Stop being so picky. snobby

It's Holmfirth, W Yorkshire.

If you have ever seen the TV series 'Last of the summer wine', that's where it was filmed...it's a beautiful place.

If you went to Cali, you couldn't drink at winery anyway.

Unless you're the governor.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 pm

Maddog wrote:If you went to Cali, you couldn't drink at winery anyway.

Unless you're the governor.  

That wasn't a winery.  It was a 5-star restaurant, the French Laundry, in Yountville, CA, north of Napa.  I don't know what the big deal was.  It was only lunch.  It was a birthday party.  He was invited, and he didn't pay.  It didn't cost the taxpayers anything.  It was during the lockdown, but within the household limits.

Earth shattering bombshell causes horror at Sainsbury's. - Page 2 220px-The_French_Laundry

It's very much like Republicans to lie and bend the facts, thus creating an issue where none exists.  That's what they tried to do with Hillary Clinton.  They tried it again with Biden and Ukraine, and that backfired so badly that Trump was impeached (first time).

I would jump at a chance to lunch at the French Laundry, as long as someone else was paying for it.  Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2