NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tipping...for or against?

5 posters

Go down

Tipping...for or against? Empty Tipping...for or against?

Post by Syl Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 pm

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, and Manchester's nighttime economist Sasha Lord, are urging the people of GM to tip more when they go out to the pubs and restaurants around town.

It's divided opinion, some people are in favour of tipping well for good service, others are adamantly against it saying it's up to the employer to pay the staff more so they don't have to rely on tips....where do you stand in the tipping debate?
Do you tip, who do you tip, and why do some people expect to be tipped and others don't?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Tipping...for or against? Empty Re: Tipping...for or against?

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Since the pandemic I've been tipping in the 20 to 30 percent range. But I'm American so we tip everyone.

Im a better than average tipper and I get treated better than average in the places I haunt.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:35 pm

Maddog wrote:Since the pandemic I've been tipping in the 20 to 30 percent range.  But I'm American so we tip everyone.

Im a better than average tipper and I get treated better than average in the places I haunt.  

I have always tipped bar  and restaurant staff and taxi drivers.  When we are away we always give a good tip to the cleaner who looks after our rooms.
We don't have papers or milk delivered now...we still tip the window cleaner at Christmas....and that's about it.

I used to work in clubs and restaurants so I think it's natural for people who have worked in these places to tip....NEVER 20 to 30 % though.
Mind you I think our catering staff are paid better than yours, we have a minimum wage, do you?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:Since the pandemic I've been tipping in the 20 to 30 percent range.  But I'm American so we tip everyone.

I have always tipped bar  and restaurant staff and taxi drivers.  When we are away we always give a good tip to the cleaner who looks after our rooms.
We don't have papers or milk delivered now...we still tip the window cleaner at Christmas....and that's about it.

I used to work in clubs and restaurants so I think it's natural for people who have worked in these places to tip....NEVER 20 to 30 % though.
Mind you I think our catering staff are paid better than yours, we have a minimum wage, do you?

We have a minimum wage, but for servers who get paid tips it's just a little over 2/ hour. It's 7.50/hr for non tipped folks like fast food. But no one gets paid that little around here.

Most service people that get paid in tips are pretty happy with the arrangement. If you smile and hustle you will make several times the minimum wage.

A bartender that runs 2 grand of sales on a shift can expect 20% of that in tips. $400 ain't a bad haul for slinging drinks on a Tuesday night.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

We have a minimum wage, but for servers who get paid tips it's just a little over 2/ hour.  It's 7.50/hr for non tipped folks like fast food.  But no one gets paid that little around here.

Most service people that get paid in tips are pretty happy with the arrangement. If you smile and hustle you will make several times the minimum wage.  

A bartender that runs 2 grand of sales on a shift can expect 20% of that in tips. $400 ain't a bad haul for slinging drinks on a Tuesday night.  

So would the bartender keep his tips himself?

Some places here staff keep their own tips, other places they have to pool with other servers and backroom staff, in some places, unless the tips are given in cash, the tip gets added to the bill and the owner keeps the money....we always tip the server separately just in case.
The last place I worked (I am going back a bit) was a country pub where we did home cooked lunches, lovely quaint place....food and service was brilliant.
Tips were as rare as hens teeth.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

We have a minimum wage, but for servers who get paid tips it's just a little over 2/ hour.  It's 7.50/hr for non tipped folks like fast food.  But no one gets paid that little around here.

So would the bartender keep his tips himself?

Some places here staff keep their own tips, other places they have to pool with other servers and  backroom staff, in some places, unless the tips are given in cash, the tip gets added to the bill and the owner keeps the money....we always tip the server separately just in case.
The last place I worked (I am going back a bit) was a country pub where we did home cooked lunches,  lovely quaint place....food and service was brilliant.
Tips were as rare as hens teeth.

Depends on the place. Most places with more than one bartender would pool them. Waitresses usually tip the bartender a little. Both of them might tip out the cooks or barbacks/busboys.

Some places may have a dozen folks working on a Friday night, but they are running a lot more than 2 grand a night.

I know some bartenders that do real well. But the hours suck and there isn't much of a long term future.

Bartenders are kind of like self employed hired guns. They may work at 3 different places. They may have a regular job and pick up a shift every couple of weeks. It really varies.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:28 pm

Oh, and in restaurants over here, most places add 18% for groups over 5 or 6. The tip isn't optional.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Maddog wrote:Oh, and in restaurants over here, most places add 18% for groups over 5 or 6. The tip isn't optional.  

Some restaurants here add a service charge, it can vary between 10 to 15%. and it's applied to everyones bill not just groups. Diners dont have to pay it but most do.
The problem is presently the service charge isn't always passed on to the staff, and a lot of people dont realise that.

I forgot to add.....I always tip the hairdresser too, even when I come home and cry at the mess she has made of my hair.
It's one of the things i really hate about myself. Tipping...for or against? 2396444674
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:10 pm

I only tip people who are really good at their job. Like, really good, they go out of their way to assist you or help you.
Most people are adequate or simply shit at their jobs, so I won’t encourage them by tipping.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 pm

I definitely believe in tipping Americans who get paid the pitiful minimum wage that employers can pay when you get tips. But I've also seen some job ads in the UK for bar staff and let me tell you, the salaries are absolute shit -- I've seen £13,000 per year. So I'll probably start tipping over here, too.

I suppose it's the kind of risky job where you can earn a lot if you're good and next to nothing if you don't put in the extra effort. But at least in America, people know that servers and bartenders don't make a lot without their tips. I get the impression that in the UK, people assume those workers are earning a decent salary anyway, but they're really not.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:12 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:Oh, and in restaurants over here, most places add 18% for groups over 5 or 6. The tip isn't optional.  

Some restaurants  here add a service charge,  it can vary between 10 to 15%. and it's applied to everyones bill not just groups. Diners dont have to pay it but most do.
The problem is presently the service charge isn't always passed on to the staff, and a lot of people dont realise that.

I forgot to add.....I always tip the hairdresser too, even when I come home and cry at the mess she has made of my hair.
It's one of the things i really hate about myself. Tipping...for or against? 2396444674

i remember a god awful perm i got given. i kept telling the woman i don't want it too short and the fucking thing finished up a mass of tight curls that went half way up my forehead. ''It'll be ok when it drops a bit'' she chirped at me. it looked like she'd sewn a bunch of those weird curly scouring pads together and plonked it on top of my head. it took a good couple of months before it dropped properly and looked good. i was devastated and complained that she didn't listen to me. i ended up being given a discount but tipped the junior hairwasher a pound before walking home crying

Tipping...for or against? 3489511464

gelico
Forum Detective

Ben Reilly and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:23 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

Some restaurants  here add a service charge,  it can vary between 10 to 15%. and it's applied to everyones bill not just groups. Diners dont have to pay it but most do.

i remember a god awful perm i got given.  i kept telling the woman i don't want it too short and the fucking thing finished up a mass of tight curls that went half way up my forehead. ''It'll be ok when it drops a bit'' she chirped at me.  it looked like she'd sewn a bunch of those weird curly scouring pads together and plonked it on top of my head.  it took a good couple of months before it dropped properly and looked good.  i was devastated and complained that she didn't listen to me.  i ended up being given a discount but tipped the junior hairwasher a pound before walking home crying

At least you spoke up. For some reason i have a personality transplant as soon as i sit in that black hairdressers chair.
When they hold the mirror up to show the finished result I always smile and nod enthusiastically even when i cant get home quick enough to have a breakdown. Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:33 am

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

i remember a god awful perm i got given.  i kept telling the woman i don't want it too short and the fucking thing finished up a mass of tight curls that went half way up my forehead. ''It'll be ok when it drops a bit'' she chirped at me.  it looked like she'd sewn a bunch of those weird curly scouring pads together and plonked it on top of my head.  it took a good couple of months before it dropped properly and looked good.  i was devastated and complained that she didn't listen to me.  i ended up being given a discount but tipped the junior hairwasher a pound before walking home crying

At least you spoke up. For some reason i have a personality transplant as soon as i sit  in that black hairdressers chair.
When they hold the mirror up to show the  finished result I always smile and nod enthusiastically even when i cant get home quick enough to have a breakdown. Mad

well, to be honest most times i would nod and smile and then go home and often times wash it and style it myself but this time it was so bloody awful i was in tears. i felt like old mother hubbard and all i needed was a granny style headscarf to complete the look, and i was only 19. what a disaster that was at the time. i wore a really thick hair band for work and tried every which way to hide it and wouldn't go out socially until i felt it was ok

it was probably the only time i've kicked up a fuss to be fair

gelico
Forum Detective

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:43 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

At least you spoke up. For some reason i have a personality transplant as soon as i sit  in that black hairdressers chair.
When they hold the mirror up to show the  finished result I always smile and nod enthusiastically even when i cant get home quick enough to have a breakdown. Mad

well, to be honest most times i would nod and smile and then go home and often times wash it and style it myself but this time it was so bloody awful i was in tears.  i felt like old mother hubbard and all i needed was a granny style headscarf to complete the look, and i was only 19.  what a disaster that was at the time.  i wore a really thick hair band for work and tried every which way to hide it and wouldn't go out socially until i felt it was ok

it was probably the only time i've kicked up a fuss to be fair

A really bad haircut can take months to put right.
Many years ago I had my one and only perm .... My hair is curly anyway, and it was very long....the hairdresser actually went for her lunch and left a junior to wash the solution off.....but she got the timing wrong.
When a friend saw me she said,.....and i quote her exact words.....'it looks like an explosion in a matress factory'. I had to have my hair cut short to get rid of the frizz.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 am

Speaking of hairdressers....I have an appointment on Thursday  to have my long hair cut short.
During lockdown I decided to let my hair grow into it's natural colour.
I have always been dark, now I am not, my hair is usually long, it will be short.....I wont look like me anymore. scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down