NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Didgee on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:17 am

NASA will announce an exciting new discovery about the Moon from the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) at a media teleconference at 12 p.m. EDT Monday, Oct. 26. Audio of the teleconference will stream live on the agency’s website.

This new discovery contributes to NASA’s efforts to learn about the Moon in support of deep space exploration. Under NASA’s Artemis program, the agency will send the first woman and next man to the lunar surface in 2024 to prepare for our next giant leap – human exploration of Mars as early as the 2030s. Understanding the science of the Moon also helps piece together the broader history of the inner solar system.

Briefing participants are:

Paul Hertz, Astrophysics division director at NASA Headquarters, Washington
Jacob Bleacher, chief exploration scientist for the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters
Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland
Naseem Rangwala, project scientist for the SOFIA mission, NASA’s Ames Research Center, Silicon Valley, California
To participate in the teleconference, members of the news media should contact Felicia Chou at felicia.chou@nasa.gov by 9 a.m. Monday, Oct. 26, to receive the dial-in information.

As the world’s largest airborne observatory, SOFIA is a modified 747 that flies high in the atmosphere to provide its nearly 9-foot telescope with a clear view of the universe and objects in our solar system. Flying above 99% of the atmosphere’s obscuring water vapor, SOFIA observes in infrared wavelengths and can pick up phenomenon impossible to see with visible light.


https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-announce-new-science-results-about-moon


Didgee

Posts : 513
Join date : 2020-06-09

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Didgee wrote:NASA will announce an exciting new discovery about the Moon from the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) at a media teleconference at 12 p.m. EDT Monday, Oct. 26. Audio of the teleconference will stream live on the agency’s website.

This new discovery contributes to NASA’s efforts to learn about the Moon in support of deep space exploration. Under NASA’s Artemis program, the agency will send the first woman and next man to the lunar surface in 2024 to prepare for our next giant leap – human exploration of Mars as early as the 2030s. Understanding the science of the Moon also helps piece together the broader history of the inner solar system.

Briefing participants are:

Paul Hertz, Astrophysics division director at NASA Headquarters, Washington
Jacob Bleacher, chief exploration scientist for the Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters
Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland
Naseem Rangwala, project scientist for the SOFIA mission, NASA’s Ames Research Center, Silicon Valley, California
To participate in the teleconference, members of the news media should contact Felicia Chou at felicia.chou@nasa.gov by 9 a.m. Monday, Oct. 26, to receive the dial-in information.

As the world’s largest airborne observatory, SOFIA is a modified 747 that flies high in the atmosphere to provide its nearly 9-foot telescope with a clear view of the universe and objects in our solar system. Flying above 99% of the atmosphere’s obscuring water vapor, SOFIA observes in infrared wavelengths and can pick up phenomenon impossible to see with visible light.


https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-announce-new-science-results-about-moon


wow have they actually been this time, I hope it's still made of cream cheese.

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm

There were several manned missions to the moon; the best proof of this is that the TV broadcast of the first mission couldn't have been received by TV stations unless they pointed their dishes at the moon.

All over the world, stations pointed their dishes at the moon itself and picked up the signal broadcast from its surface.

Including in the USSR, which would have been the first to shout to the world that the signal didn't originate from the moon, but from America. But it didn't.

_________________
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Posts : 29507
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 45
Location : London metropolitan area

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:There were several manned missions to the moon; the best proof of this is that the TV broadcast of the first mission couldn't have been received by TV stations unless they pointed their dishes at the moon.

All over the world, stations pointed their dishes at the moon itself and picked up the signal broadcast from its surface.

Including in the USSR, which would have been the first to shout to the world that the signal didn't originate from the moon, but from America. But it didn't.

the first one was definitely bogus. in my opinion.

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:There were several manned missions to the moon; the best proof of this is that the TV broadcast of the first mission couldn't have been received by TV stations unless they pointed their dishes at the moon.

All over the world, stations pointed their dishes at the moon itself and picked up the signal broadcast from its surface.

Including in the USSR, which would have been the first to shout to the world that the signal didn't originate from the moon, but from America. But it didn't.

the first one was definitely bogus. in my opinion.

If it was bogus, then why didn't the Soviet Union tell the world? They would have been able to tell it was bogus quite easily.

_________________
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Posts : 29507
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 45
Location : London metropolitan area

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

the first one was definitely bogus. in my opinion.

If it was bogus, then why didn't the Soviet Union tell the world? They would have been able to tell it was bogus quite easily.

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Tommy Monk on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:43 pm




Been through this moon landing debate before... Conclusion... It never happened!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 24905
Join date : 2014-02-12

inmyopinion likes this post

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Victorismyhero on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:


Been through this moon landing debate before... Conclusion... It never happened!



which conclusion is inaccurate, based on lies and false evidence that does not withstand scrutiny, and is suitable only as fodder to feed the feeble minded "conspiracy theorists".

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 11425
Join date : 2015-11-06

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:


Been through this moon landing debate before... Conclusion... It never happened!



which conclusion is inaccurate, based on lies and false evidence that does not withstand scrutiny, and is suitable only as fodder to feed the feeble minded "conspiracy theorists".

only as you see it. but you would never believe your conclusion in inaccurate.

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Maddog on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:28 pm

There are still people that think the moon landing was faked? Shocked

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Posts : 8879
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Victorismyhero on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Victorismyhero wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:


Been through this moon landing debate before... Conclusion... It never happened!



which conclusion is inaccurate, based on lies and false evidence that does not withstand scrutiny, and is suitable only as fodder to feed the feeble minded "conspiracy theorists".

only as you see it. but you would never believe your conclusion in inaccurate.

however you canot provide evicence , even circumstantial or inferred that prove your conclusions, however I CAN prove your claims inaccurate and false...however i doubt you understand enough science and maths to be able to keep up with the arguments.

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 11425
Join date : 2015-11-06

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Vintage on Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:34 pm

So if it never happened who put the 'mirror' on the moon's surface which astronomers/scientists anywhere, if they feel inclined can bounce a laser off? or maybe they are all lying as well?

Vintage

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 am

Vintage wrote:So if it never happened who put the 'mirror' on the moon's surface which astronomers/scientists anywhere, if they feel inclined can bounce a laser off? or maybe they are all lying as well?



The Russians managed to place retroreflectors on the Moon by using uncrewed probes (Luna 17 and Luna 21, in 1970 and in 1973).




Allegedly...



But given that our own planet Earth can often be seen as a reflection on the moon... Then isn't it likely that a powerful laser beam from earth will also be easily reflected back to us from this same naturally reflective moon's surface...!?


https://www.space.com/6556-earth-reflection-varies-moon.html



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 24905
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Eilzel on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 am

I was about to come in here with a joke about how some nutters here probably think it was faked.
I'd forgotten that we have some self-confessed (dare I say 'proud') moon landing deniers among us already Laughing

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8707
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Eilzel on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:15 am

inmyopinion wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

the first one was definitely bogus. in my opinion.

If it was bogus, then why didn't the Soviet Union tell the world? They would have been able to tell it was bogus quite easily.

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

Because they are all in the same trough, to varying degrees.

In the case of the moon landings, well, you might've heard of this pretty big deal called 'The Cold War'. If it was fake then Brezhnev and his comrades would've been broadcasting the fact to the world

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8707
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 35
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:52 am

Victorismyhero wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

only as you see it. but you would never believe your conclusion in inaccurate.

however you canot provide evicence , even circumstantial or inferred that prove your conclusions, however I CAN prove your claims inaccurate and false...however i doubt you understand enough science and maths to be able to keep up with the arguments.

Nope, all you can do is state your sources and claim your sources are, for some reason, more reliable than other sources.

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:55 am

Eilzel wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

Because they are all in the same trough, to varying degrees.

In the case of the moon landings, well, you might've heard of this pretty big deal called 'The Cold War'. If it was fake then Brezhnev and his comrades would've been broadcasting the fact to the world

really and would the world have listened to Russian propaganda.lol what is it with peole and the "russians influence everything".

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Vintage on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:54 pm

If there was a reflection from a certain surface on the moon why can't it be done with almost any area on the moon, its not likely to have just one particular area of that kind of surface.
Earth shine varies, the laser doesn't.
As has been said the Russians would never had let it go if it was fake, why didn't they continue their moon programme. Would all the people involved mainly scientists have signed up to fakery, the military might have, think of how many people who would have had to be in on it, impossible to keep quiet, or maybe all those scientists and techs were hoodwinked as well. Not to mention calling all the astronauts liars.

Vintage

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:25 pm

Vintage wrote:If there was a reflection from a certain surface on the moon why can't it be done with almost any area on the moon, its not likely to have just one particular area of that kind of surface.
Earth shine varies, the laser doesn't.
As has been said the Russians would never had let it go if it was fake, why didn't they continue their moon programme. Would all the people involved mainly scientists have signed up to fakery, the military might have, think of how many people who would have had to be in on it, impossible to keep quiet, or maybe all those scientists and techs were hoodwinked as well. Not to mention calling all the astronauts liars.



Well... Apparently there are numerous reflection devices placed at various locations on the moon...

So I don't know why you say that a laser must be directed at a certain point...?

Or maybe that point is just whatever point is needed to get the right reflection off the moon's surface to get the laser coming directly back to point of origin...


_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 24905
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Vintage on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:34 pm

It has to be a fixed point to do whatever calculations people do with it.

Vintage

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:37 pm




But there are numerous reflection devices placed in various locations on the surface... Allegedly...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 24905
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

the first one was definitely bogus. in my opinion.

If it was bogus, then why didn't the Soviet Union tell the world? They would have been able to tell it was bogus quite easily.

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

That has nothing to do with it... have you ever heard of Sputnik?

_________________
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Posts : 29507
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 45
Location : London metropolitan area

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Vintage on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:


But there are numerous reflection devices placed in various locations on the surface... Allegedly...


You have to know where the one you want is to do your calculations, you can't just think oh there's a bright spot over we'll try that one this week, then next week we'll try the one over there...

Vintage

Posts : 2537
Join date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:21 pm




Or... Like I said before... Maybe they are just bouncing the laser off the surface at the central spot that would give the best reflection...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 24905
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by inmyopinion on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

That has nothing to do with it... have you ever heard of Sputnik?

of course, they did love missiles f111

_________________
It's only a mistake if you never learnt by it.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion

Posts : 499
Join date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by eddie on Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Victorismyhero wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:


Been through this moon landing debate before... Conclusion... It never happened!



which conclusion is inaccurate, based on lies and false evidence that does not withstand scrutiny, and is suitable only as fodder to feed the feeble minded "conspiracy theorists".

Just because some people don’t believe the “mainstream” view about something does not make them conspiracy theorists.
Perhaps the real “conspiracy theorists” are those people who believe those who have a reason to conspire?

_________________
”Do I contradict myself? Very well; I contradict myself. I am vast, I contain multitudes”
~ Walt Whitman
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 41608
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 21
Location : England

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:24 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
inmyopinion wrote:

why do politicians not call out other politicians on expenses?

That has nothing to do with it... have you ever heard of Sputnik?

of course, they did love missiles f111

Sputnik was a satellite, not a missile. Again, I simply ask that you try to answer this question, or explain why it's not relevant:

Given that the U.S. and Russia were at the height of the Cold War when the moon landing happened, why wouldn't Russia tell the world that the television signal carrying the footage of the moon landing didn't originate from the moon, but rather that it originated from the United States?

_________________
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Posts : 29507
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 45
Location : London metropolitan area

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon Empty Re: NASA to Announce New Science Results About Moon

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum