NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is London

5 posters

Go down

This is London Empty This is London

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 pm

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/15/man-20-stabbed-to-death-in-south-london-as-victims-mother-consoled-on-street-13277267/

And...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uxbridge-man-shot-crossbow-a4547671.html

And...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/islington-teenage-stabbing-murder-five-killings-london-a4547781.html

There have been four other deaths from violence in London over the past five days.

Nahid Ahmed, 26, died from knife wounds yards from his Enfield home at 12.40am on Sunday;
Anthony Higgins, 62, died after an assault in Wembley on Saturday;
A 46-year-old man was killed in a suspected hit and run in Dagenham at 11.45pm on in Sunday;
Daniel Bytyci, 18, from Harrow, died on September 10 after being stabbed in Pinner in August

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

This is London Empty Re: This is London

Post by Maddog Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/15/man-20-stabbed-to-death-in-south-london-as-victims-mother-consoled-on-street-13277267/

And...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/uxbridge-man-shot-crossbow-a4547671.html

And...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/islington-teenage-stabbing-murder-five-killings-london-a4547781.html

There have been four other deaths from violence in London over the past five days.

Nahid Ahmed, 26, died from knife wounds yards from his Enfield home at 12.40am on Sunday;
   Anthony Higgins, 62, died after an assault in Wembley on Saturday;
   A 46-year-old man was killed in a suspected hit and run in Dagenham at 11.45pm on in Sunday;
   Daniel Bytyci, 18, from Harrow, died on September 10 after being stabbed in Pinner in August

Got a long way to go to catch Chicago. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Yes... The number of murders in Chicago is significantly higher than London, while only having about a quarter of the population number of London... Why do you think that might be...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Yes... The number of murders in Chicago is significantly higher than London, while only having about a quarter of the population number of London... Why do you think that might be...?

I'm going to go with guns. Definitely easier to kill someone with a gun.

What do you think?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Why do you think that might be? Out of interest and because I never assume.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

What do you think?

I thought I was talking about the murder rate in general... Not the various weapons that may have been used...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Murder in the US and UK is largely a matter of poverty and gangs.

That's why the murder rate in Baltimore is about 55 per 100,00 and about 3 per 100,000 in Austin, Texas.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Maddog wrote:Murder in the US and UK is largely a matter of poverty and gangs.  

That's why the murder rate in Baltimore is about 55 per 100,00 and about 3 per 100,000 in Austin, Texas.  

London has poverty and gangs, as well.  What singular thing is the difference between London and Chicago?  The difference is the availability of guns.

BTW, Austin, a college town, is quite civilized for Texas.  Its mayor is a Democrat and a former civil rights lawyer, educated at Princeton University (law degree from UT/Austin).

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 pm

And yet the murder rate between Austin and London is far more similar than the murder rate between Austin and Chicago.

Weird.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:18 pm

I was looking at some stats, and one article said that Chicago was not the most violent/dangerous place in America... It said the worst was 4 times more violent than Chicago...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 pm

This link shows murder rates across America...

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/8/

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

I was looking at some stats, and one article said that Chicago was not the most violent/dangerous place in America... It said the worst was 4 times more violent than Chicago...

Chicago usually makes the top 10. It is a very large city with very violent areas offset by fairly safe areas.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

What do you think?

I thought I was talking about the murder rate in general... Not the various weapons that may have been used...

I think that easy access to deadly weapons will result in more people committing murder, driving up the murder rate.

Why do you think Chicago has a higher murder rate than London?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Maddog wrote:And yet the murder rate between Austin and London is far more similar than the murder rate between Austin and Chicago.

Weird.

As I say, Austin is an exceptional city...it's a university town, and fewer acts of violence occur.  Perhaps Austin should be compared to Oxford, England.

London his one of the world's mega-cities, and quite simply, it has fewer guns than Chicago. That accounts for the difference.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:And yet the murder rate between Austin and London is far more similar than the murder rate between Austin and Chicago.

Weird.

As I say, Austin is an exceptional city...it's a university town, and fewer acts of violence occur.  Perhaps Austin should be compared to Oxford, England.

London his one of the world's mega-cities, and quite simply, it has fewer guns than Chicago.  That accounts for the difference.

Austin has a murder rate similar to El Paso.

Austin has a population of about one million.

Oxford has a population of about 100,000.

A better comparison to Oxford would be College Station, TX which has a murder rate of .8 per 100,000.

Must be the lack if guns there. Cool

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

As I say, Austin is an exceptional city...it's a university town, and fewer acts of violence occur. Perhaps Austin should be compared to Oxford, England.

London his one of the world's mega-cities, and quite simply, it has fewer guns than Chicago. That accounts for the difference.

A better comparison to Oxford would be College Station, TX which has a murder rate of .8 per 100,000.

Must be the lack if guns there. Cool

Or, the greater intelligence of a university town.

Austin to El Paso? Don't compare apples to oranges. You started out comparing Chicago to London. That’s the UK to the US, where coincidentally the greatest difference is the availability of guns in the US.

Don’t avoid the comparison, now that it is inconvenient.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:53 pm

The difference in murder rates across the US is vast... But they all have guns...

And there are huge differences between various UK locations regarding murder rates too... While guns are heavily restricted to the population...

Must be a different reason behind these differences.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The difference in murder rates across the US is vast... But they all have guns...

And there are huge differences between various UK locations regarding murder rates too... While guns are heavily restricted to the population...

Must be a different reason behind these differences.

We actually have different levels of gun ownership and laws. Most people think of Texas when they think of the most permissive gun laws. It's actually that hot bed of murder called New Hampshire.

Chicago and DC have pretty stringent gun laws. As we've seen this summer, people here don't always care what the law states,
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Must be the lack if guns there.   Cool

Austin to El Paso?  Don't compare apples to oranges.  You started out comparing Chicago to London.  That’s the UK to the US, where coincidentally the greatest difference is the availability of guns in the US.

Explain the lower rate in El Paso. UTEP?

And are you saying intelligence is a bigger factor than gun ownership in terms of murder?

I agree to an extent. If you use the US as a model, gun ownership rates are often inversely proportional to murder rates.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Austin to El Paso? Don't compare apples to oranges. You started out comparing Chicago to London. That’s the UK to the US, where coincidentally the greatest difference is the availability of guns in the US.

Explain the lower rate in El Paso. UTEP?

I know El Paso and have been there many times. Look at a map. It is a city amid New Mexico, not Texas. New Mexico is a blue state, not a red. UTEP is one influence, and so is Ft. Hood. But the main thing is, the city is simply not a southern zeitgeist...it's not even, really, a Texas town. I know lines of jurisdiction are drawn on a map, but really, we are talking about people and attitudes. El Paso does not have a southern attitude.

Southerners = guns. Not for hunting and bush, but for use on other human beings. El Paso does not subscribe to that ethos.

Maddog wrote:And are you saying intelligence is a bigger factor than gun ownership in terms of murder?

I am saying that the more intelligent one is, the less one has need to resort to violence. Cities dominated by universities have that predominance of reason in their civic culture.

Maddog wrote:I agree to an extent. If you use the US as a model, gun ownership rates are often inversely proportional to murder rates.

To the contrary. Gun availability is directly proportional to murder rates. That’s the difference between the US generally, and the entire UK.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down