NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are dating apps bad for our mental health?

5 posters

Go down

Are dating apps bad for our mental health? Empty Are dating apps bad for our mental health?

Post by eddie Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Dating apps have taken the world by storm, but has the trend for swiping right or left to like or reject potential matches contributed to many people's unhappiness and low self-esteem?
Following the end of her last relationship, Kirsty Finlayson, 28, did what many people do - she turned to dating apps to find love.
But the incessant swiping and the stream of small-talk conversations that soon fizzle out left her feeling dejected.
"Dating apps have definitely increased my anxiety," admits Kirsty, a solicitor who lives in London.
"It fuels the idea of a disposable society where people can match, date once, and not give it much effort," she says.
"I find it difficult to distinguish between those who are just using it as a way of passing time on their commute or ego-boosting and those who actually are looking for something serious”

She spends about 30 minutes a day on the app, but admits it's "time that I could spend doing something I enjoy which is better for my mental health".
Despite the huge popularity of dating apps - and the millions of success stories worldwide - many users report that some apps make them feel low and experience self doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45419105

Personally, I would never use a dating app or site. I’ve seen a work colleague use these over the past year or so and most of the men send her dick pics or just come on way too strong. I don’t think using sites to “meet someone” are a good idea unless you take your time and really get to know a person.

What does everyone else think, dating apps, good or bad?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Are dating apps bad for our mental health? Empty Re: Are dating apps bad for our mental health?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:35 pm

I think that for the most part, they're no good, though I've never used anything like eHarmony, which claims to be great at picking people who will click (pun intended!).

Old-school meeting IRL is best, in my opinion.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Are dating apps bad for our mental health? Empty Re: Are dating apps bad for our mental health?

Post by eddie Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I think that for the most part, they're no good, though I've never used anything like eHarmony, which claims to be great at picking people who will click (pun intended!).

Yeah I remember you telling me that you used one once and it didn’t go well.
If people used them properly, then I’d have no problem, but it’s the fact a lot of people use them to get a free fuck.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I think that for the most part, they're no good, though I've never used anything like eHarmony, which claims to be great at picking people who will click (pun intended!).

Yeah I remember you telling me that you used one once and it didn’t go well.
If people used them properly, then I’d have no problem, but it’s the fact a lot of people use them to get a free fuck.

There wasn't anything wrong with the woman I met through a dating site, we just had zero chemistry.

I don't think it's so much to do with meeting online as it is meeting online in an environment where romance is the goal. You and me, for example, met online, but neither of us was looking for romance, it found us -- and we did run from it for a LONG time Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:50 pm

Wow. That’s the point I was trying to make!

“An environment where romance is the goal”

That’s like a “singles bar” where everyone is just there looking for some meat.
A meat market.

It’s just sad, really, and makes a mockery of the genuine people who use these apps as a way to form friendships.

And I want to add, for fairness sake, it isn’t just men who go to these “meat markets”, women are just as bad!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:55 pm

eddie wrote:Wow. That’s the point I was trying to make!

A meat market.

It’s just sad, really, and makes a mockery of the genuine people who use these apps as a way to form friendships.

And I want to add, for fairness sake, it isn’t just men who go to these “meat markets”, women are just as bad!

Yeah, I was just thinking about how in my 20s, I was equally disgusted by the singles bar scene. I actually told a friend at the time I just saw them as "meat markets."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 am

I suppose if you liked single bars and 18 to 30 type holidays online dating sites would suit.

All the above would be like visiting hell to me, and I think if a random pervert sent  me a 'dick pick' I would be sick. pale

I have  never been a wham, bam, thank you man sort of a person, I like the old fashioned idea of actually seeing someone and wanting to get to know the person slowly.

I can imagine that dating sites could be very bad for ones mental health. People are judged on looks alone, and probably often just used and then discarded, that must be depressing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:36 am

Syl wrote:I suppose if you liked single bars and 18 to 30 type holidays online dating sites would suit.

All the above would be like visiting hell to me, and I think if a random pervert sent  me a 'dick pick' I would be sick. pale

I have  never been a wham, bam, thank you man sort of a person, I like the old fashioned idea of actually seeing someone and wanting to get to know the person slowly.

I can imagine that dating sites could be very bad for ones mental health. People are judged on looks alone, and probably often just used and then discarded, that must be depressing.

Yep. My work friend is actually a manic-depressive. She gets excited when a guy messages her and shows me the messages. I’m always saying to her “Why is he putting “xxx” after every message?” I don’t get the “kisses” at the end of every sentence?
Ben and I never did that, for example, when we used to message. It’s icky.

Then obviously, a day later, she tells me he’s sent her a dick pic. I tell her, “Get rid of him!!”

Anyone who is overtly sexual like that, is a turn off.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:40 am

The deception and desperation are the real turn-offs for me on sites like that. Basically people are so desperate for sex or dating or whatever that they will big themselves up, use misleading profile photos, etc. You get no sense of who these people really are.

Then again, they do make for some hilarity at times:

Are dating apps bad for our mental health? Awesome-tinder-profiles-34-5c4f109d83af6__605
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:16 am

There are different kind of dating sites. My ex met her husband on Match.com. It sorta narrows down people and you take it from there. I bet she had 20 other dates from the same site over the years. It saves time and puts people interested in dating in the same network.

And if you just want to screw, then there is Tinder. That's more of a hookup site, not a dating site.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 am

Ben Reilly wrote:

A meat market.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how in my 20s, I was equally disgusted by the singles bar scene. I actually told a friend at the time I just saw them as "meat markets."

Really? I had a blast. I hope a few of the ladies did too. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:15 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

A meat market.

Meet the woman of your dreams, did you?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 am

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Maybe. But I may not have been smart enough to know it.

But I had some fun. Seeing good bands, dancing with some pretty girls, doing more than dancing with far too many also.

When I was young and crazy, I acted young crazy. Maybe I still do.

Anyway, upon further reflection, I did meet a wife at a country bar. Not sure i would call that a singles bar, although most of the folks there were probably single.

Not sure she was the woman of my dreams. Pretty sure I turned out to not be the man of hers. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:34 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

But I had some fun. Seeing good bands, dancing with some pretty girls, doing more than dancing with far too many also.  

Anyway, upon further reflection, I did meet a wife at a country bar. Not sure i would call that a singles bar, although most of the folks there were probably single.  

Not sure she was the woman of my dreams. Pretty sure I turned out to not be the man of hers. Cool

Shit happens!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:35 am

When I was young and in my prime,
I used to do it all the time,
Now I'm getting old and Grey.
I only do it once a Day !!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Shit happens!

Yes it does. And sometimes for a reason. Shocked
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down