NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

4 posters

Go down

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health Empty God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 am

This week millions of Americans are navigating crushing crowds and spending hours traveling in order to catch a glimpse of Pope Francis on his first visit to this country. To those who are devoutly religious, the pope's U.S. trip presents a unique opportunity to get papal blessings, receive mercy and feel closer to God. But even those devoted Catholics who aren’t in the front row seat for Francis' visit may see benefits to their belief. A slew of research has tied being religious with better well-being and overall mental health. A number of studies have found that devout people have fewer symptoms of depression and anxiety, as well as a better ability to cope with stress. Certain religious practices may even change the brain in a way that boosts mental health, studies suggest.  However, religion could also be a double-edged sword: Negative religious beliefs — for example, that God is punishing or abandoning you — have been linked with harmful outcomes, including higher rates of depression and lower quality of life.

http://www.livescience.com/52197-religion-mental-health-brain.html

Back to top Go down

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health Empty Re: God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:11 am

Isnt this like everything in life Didge?

Extremism in anything is bad for us generally.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health Empty Re: God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 am

It's not just devout religious people though is it? I bet loads of athiests want to see the Pope as well - just because he's famous.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:14 am

Is quite interesting Sexy and yes it is like many things in life, but the more conservative literal belief is very bad mental health wise.
That is very telling to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:16 am

Cuchulain wrote:Is quite interesting Sexy and yes it is like many things in life, but the more conservative literal belief is very bad mental health wise.

You'd like it to be a negative thing you mean.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 am

Cuchulain wrote:Is quite interesting Sexy and yes it is like many things in life, but the more conservative literal belief is very bad mental health wise.

Negative religious beliefs — for example, that God is punishing or abandoning you — have been linked with harmful outcomes, including higher rates of depression and lower quality of life.

I would imagine so if the above was to be taken literally.

What I want to know is why they believe the above?
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 am

Incorrect Rags.
I see you are itching for a fight lol

So just to clarify your claim is bollocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:19 am

Cuchulain wrote:Incorrect Rags.

Not really. It's obvious that you'd love people with religious faith to be depressed because you had a negative experience with it yourself.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:20 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:

Negative religious beliefs — for example, that God is punishing or abandoning you — have been linked with harmful outcomes, including higher rates of depression and lower quality of life.

Yet we see nations going off endorsing such negtaive views and punishments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:Incorrect Rags.

Not really. It's obvious that you'd love people with religious faith to be depressed because you had a negative experience with it yourself.

Never had a negative experince with being a Catholic. I just realised that the Bible is full of contradictions, has a very barbaric deity.
So again your assumptions are so poor I am now just giggling at your views. lol

Last edited by Cuchulain on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 am

Cuchulain wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Theses nations carry the punishments themselves and believe what they are doing is correct. Regardless of what is actually required by God.

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Never had a negative experince with being a Catholic. I just realised that the Bible is full of contradictions, has a very barbaric deity.

You invented the story you told then?

Real men don't giggle.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Theses nations carry the punishments themselves and believe what they are doing is correct. Regardless of what is actually required by God.

Interesting, but sadly these nations hold these views.
Not good for the mental health of society.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:26 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

You invented the story you told then?

Real men don't giggle.

A woman deciding how a man should laugh. lol

Sexist, 100% by Rags

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:28 am

Cuchulain wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

No it doesn't but nor does doing what the hell you want and not worrying about the consequences either.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:30 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

No it doesn't but nor does doing what the hell you want and not worrying about the consequences either.

But you do not need religion to have moral and ethical laws.
The fact is it is mainly in Muslim theocratic societies that people act without worrying of any consequences.
This is evident in Pakistan, Saudi, Iran etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 pm

I agree with SM in this; we are simply talking extremes of either.

I've long stated that religion can bring people together, and serve a very warm and sociable purpose within a community.

I also think that any person who takes religion to the whole other extreme, is just looking for an excuse to be an evil fucktard anyway.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Actually I think being part of a faith is good for health in every way, people who go to church have fellowship with other believers joining in different activities and such, with a mosque the same thing people joining together with other believers eating meals together and worshipping , so what could be better than this ? I've seen programs on mosques where they have food together and other things and they all looked like they were a part of one big happy family to me, the same as when I go to church its a big family and there is no other place I want to be .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:31 pm

eddie wrote:I agree with SM in this; we are simply talking extremes of either.

I've long stated that religion can bring people together, and serve a very warm and sociable purpose within a community.

I also think that any person who takes religion to the whole other extreme, is just looking for an excuse to be an evil fucktard anyway.

The problem you have though is many religious literal believers look with glee to paradise and the end of days, which sort of means the world ending. Which is not something most rational people would wish for. It is thus based off a negative postition to bring fourth a positive and nagative positon. One where some are saved and others are damned. This is why you can see why people are easily swayed to take their own life in combat. This was once very much a Christian belief also of the best honour to die was through martydom. So its not just about extremism, its also a way of thought one that is very nagative in thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:58 pm

eddie wrote:I agree with SM in this; we are simply talking extremes of either.

Generally agree but
it doesn't take into the account the person looking for 'followers'

reality is most people are dumb and follow charismatic leaders regardless of their virtue, religion and nationalism are generally the Vehicles to do it by as they have already collected the individuals predisposed to be 'manipulable'.

@OP
yes i think it is true religion and mental health are linked. but not always as negatively as the OP suggests. I am sure there are some Anxious types that are able to 'function more fully in society' through some form of spiritual/religious belief.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down