NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors

2 posters

Go down

Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors  Empty Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors

Post by eddie Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Because of Coronavirus....

Bob Shellard was set to visit his wife Nancy Shellard in her nursing home for their wedding anniversary on March 14, but when the home banned visitors due to coronavirus, Bob had to get creative.

Bob, 90, and Nancy, 88, have been married for 67 years. The two met when Nancy worked at a small dairy shop and Bob would visit while he waited for the bus to go to work at his job after World War II. The couple has four children, nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren with one on the way.

After being diagnosed with dementia, Nancy moved into a nursing home in Stafford Springs, Connecticut, in December. Bob has a caretaker or family friend take him to visit her almost every day.

"I just miss her now that she's in the nursing home," Bob said.

On March 9, the nursing home announced that it would stop accepting visitors due to coronavirus concerns. Bob's youngest daughter, Laura Mikolajczak, 51, called her dad to tell him the news. Bob and Nancy's anniversary was that Saturday.

"He asked me, 'How am I going to get in there?'" Laura said. "I told him he couldn't get in, but maybe they could wheel her up to the window and we could stand with balloons outside so she can see us."

Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors  A051a110

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/husband-holds-sign-wife-outside-nursing-home-67th-015500119--abc-news-topstories.html

How sad is that picture?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors  Empty Re: Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors

Post by Maddog Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 pm

I haven't seen my mom in about 10 days. I call her and she seems to understand, but other times she thinks the whole thing is a bit silly. When you live through the Great Depression and WWII you get a different perspective, especially in your waning years. Probably worse than not seeing me, is the fact that they have to stay pretty much in their rooms. She has little social contact right now. But there is just no way around this. Everyone there is at high risk and if one of them gets it, it will be a disaster.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors  Empty Re: Husband holds sign for wife outside nursing home on 67th anniversary after they ban visitors

Post by eddie Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 pm

My mum lives alone and is in her seventies, I won’t “see” her for several weeks.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down