NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:35 pm

A simple, yet powerful, UK program has been fighting elderly isolation by recruiting young adults as volunteers to read to seniors with vision problems and dementia.

Lorna Burnett has benefited from the program having her vision “restored” by 15-year-old Ailsa, a schoolgirl who was paired with Burnett through the Reading Friends project.

Prior to developing lupus in her 40s, Burnett was a librarian and avid reader who would read “two to three books every week”. After developing the disease, however, Burnett found herself unable to read or watch television for any length of time without her eyes hurting.

Not only has Burnett’s regular reading sessions with Ailsa helped to reconnect her with her passion for literature, they have also built a strong intergenerational friendship between the two ladies.

“I chose a book and she would come along and read it to me,” Burnett told BBC. “But we have only got through two books so far because we end up chatting too much. We have read two historical novels… and get on very well.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/volunteers-reading-to-lonely-seniors-across-uk/

More to read on link and a video also

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm

There is a similar program that I saw yesterday where the blind can connect with those that can see to "borrow" their eyes.

The internet really is a mixed bag in terms of helping humanity. I often think its ruining civilization, but then I see stories about how its bringing people together.

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Posts : 8879
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Also, I think it's good for folks from different generations to hang out. Promotes more understanding, like it does when folks from different cultures spend time together,

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Posts : 8879
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 pm

Maddog wrote:There is a similar program that I saw yesterday where the blind can connect with those that can see to "borrow" their eyes.

The internet really is a mixed bag in terms of helping humanity.  I often think its ruining civilization, but then I see stories about how its bringing people together.  

Agreed. I feel the same with the internet and then I read stories like this?

https://twitter.com/MuhammadLila/status/1218629431553658881

Its why i have faith in humanity

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Maddog wrote:Also, I think it's good for folks from different generations to hang out.  Promotes more understanding, like it does when folks from different cultures spend time together,  

Have a thanks and well said

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm

Thorin wrote:
Maddog wrote:There is a similar program that I saw yesterday where the blind can connect with those that can see to "borrow" their eyes.

The internet really is a mixed bag in terms of helping humanity.  I often think its ruining civilization, but then I see stories about how its bringing people together.  

Agreed. I feel the same with the internet and then I read stories like this?

https://twitter.com/MuhammadLila/status/1218629431553658881

Its why i have faith in humanity

👍

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Posts : 8879
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by eddie on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:28 pm

I used to work in care homes for the elderly and I read to them. They always enjoyed it. Sometimes the elderly generation is so forgotten or ignored by society and they’re such interesting people mostly.

_________________
”Do I contradict myself? Very well; I contradict myself. I am vast, I contain multitudes”
~ Walt Whitman
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 41608
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 21
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Maddog wrote:There is a similar program that I saw yesterday where the blind can connect with those that can see to "borrow" their eyes.

The internet really is a mixed bag in terms of helping humanity.  I often think its ruining civilization, but then I see stories about how its bringing people together.  

Eddie actually made a post like that one time on Facebook. We have these incredible communications tools at our disposal, but we don't do half the good we could be doing with it.

_________________
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

– George Bernard Shaw
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Posts : 29507
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 45
Location : London metropolitan area

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 pm

The Mormons have been doing this for centuries. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/humanitarian-service/church?lang=eng

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine." ― Old Republican proverb.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars (1993).

Original Quill

Posts : 34437
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 55
Location : Northern California

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by JulesV on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Thorin wrote:A simple, yet powerful, UK program has been fighting elderly isolation by recruiting young adults as volunteers to read to seniors with vision problems and dementia.

Lorna Burnett has benefited from the program having her vision “restored” by 15-year-old Ailsa, a schoolgirl who was paired with Burnett through the Reading Friends project.

Prior to developing lupus in her 40s, Burnett was a librarian and avid reader who would read “two to three books every week”. After developing the disease, however, Burnett found herself unable to read or watch television for any length of time without her eyes hurting.

Not only has Burnett’s regular reading sessions with Ailsa helped to reconnect her with her passion for literature, they have also built a strong intergenerational friendship between the two ladies.

“I chose a book and she would come along and read it to me,” Burnett told BBC. “But we have only got through two books so far because we end up chatting too much. We have read two historical novels… and get on very well.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/volunteers-reading-to-lonely-seniors-across-uk/

More to read on link and a video also

This was the norm before society was broken and people became isolationist zombies who never take their eye off the tiny internet device which permanently lives in the palm of their hand.

The different generations in a family were closer together and benefited from each other.

People had no need to go ''adopt a granny/grandchild'' - they had their own natural ones.

_________________
Live Love Laugh
JulesV
JulesV

Posts : 4050
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:There is a similar program that I saw yesterday where the blind can connect with those that can see to "borrow" their eyes.

The internet really is a mixed bag in terms of helping humanity.  I often think its ruining civilization, but then I see stories about how its bringing people together.  

Eddie actually made a post like that one time on Facebook. We have these incredible communications tools at our disposal, but we don't do half the good we could be doing with it.

Well, my half dozen or so posts a day are making the world a better place. I'm doing my job. Cool

_________________
pa·ter·nal·ism

noun

The policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Posts : 8879
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers Empty Re: Young People Are Befriending Lonely Seniors Across the UK by Volunteering as Storytellers

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum