NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!!

+7
Cass
nicko
Eilzel
gelico
eddie
Maddog
Ben Reilly
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!! - Page 3 Empty PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I've been back for five days, really damn ill for the past three. I'm disappointed but glad to be getting it out of the way sooner rather than later.

So other than a bit at the end, I want to share how crazy my journey was. Settle in ...

I got up the day I was set to leave worrying mostly about how the Border Force was going to treat me when I got to them. Bear in mind, the last time I came over, I had to get edds to take a photo of our marriage certificate and send it to me so I could show it to a very strict lady at Heathrow.

Everything went smoothly until I arrived at DFW Airport and keyed my confirmation code into a kiosk. It couldn't find me, so I went up to the counter, where a young woman put it in, only to look up at me and say, "You're at the wrong airport."

I couldn't believe how stupid I'd been, and I couldn't imagine how I was going to break this news to edds. I was well on my way to a full-blown panic attack when the woman said, "Look, your flight was delayed by a half hour; I'd call an Uber and see if you can't make your flight at Dallas Love Field."

Blessing her for giving me a plan of action, I ran out of her area, downloaded Uber to my phone, explained to edds what was happening and ordered my Uber. About 10 agonizing minutes later, I was in the car of the World's Nicest Uber Driver, Ever.

He got me to Love Field about 25 minutes before my plane was due to take off. I made it to the gate with 10 minutes to spare, and when they told me I wasn't too late to board, I felt relief like no other.

But while on the plane, the pilot informed us that because of storms between us and my layover destination, Atlanta, we'd be delayed. When all was said and done, my two-hour layover had turned into a 30-minute layover -- from the moment my plane touched down to the moment the next plane took off.

I was panicking again by the time the plane landed in Atlanta, and I was the most aggressive I've ever been, getting out of that plane.

Then I realize the suitcase I'd put in an overhead bin wasn't there.

I couldn't decide, for a few horrible seconds, whether to hang with the flight staff and see if they could find my bag, or to venture out and see if I could find it myself. I opted for the latter with 20 minutes before my next flight took off.

Luckily, the guy who accidentally grabbed my bag was waiting for me, and I scooped it up and proceeded to the route of people-movers and the train that would get me to my gate. When I made it, finally, it was 5 minutes until takeoff and the airline employees addressed me by name as I ran up to them.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, and then I finally got to the part I'd been dreading the most. I'd googled what happens to you when you're not allowed into a country within one of its airports, and I'd found nothing. I had no idea what was about to happen.

With a group of several other people, I was ushered to a booth with two doors. The first door let me in, and I scanned my passport photo and looked at a camera. Then the other door opened.

I was in. I couldn't believe how easily that had gone. I made my way out of Heathrow before anybody could call me back and say another word to me.

Out of the airport, onto the Tube, and finally, to the door behind which I'd find my wife, and my stepkids.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!!

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Vintage wrote:I agree, if you are willing to work that's great and you are legally married and you keep coming back must mean something, surely.
I could write to my MP that's no problem, can't say I usually bother with them but I will certainly do that..

Wow, that would be amazing of you, thank you so much.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: PART THREE!!!! of my England Diary, or a Texan in Old Blighty!!!!!!

Post by Vintage Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 pm

No problem.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:38 pm

I have to say this -- it does make you appreciate a quiet night of watching Netflix and drinking red wine a lot more. The little things are what you miss the most.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Ben landed safely in Texas about an hour ago.

Miss him already.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 pm

He'll soon be back. He's just sort of working away, as if he was working on the rigs or in Saudi. I'm sure it'll turn out ok.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Vintage wrote:He'll soon be back. He's just sort of working away, as if he was working on the rigs or in Saudi. I'm sure it'll turn out ok.

I know. I know I sound like a big baby...there are people far worse off than us.
It’s just hard saying goodbye and not knowing when you’ll definitely see someone again.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 pm

It's not right at all. Although I am mostly against uncontrolled immigration basically due to the numbers of people already here, can't help thinking everyone- already here, could have a better standard of living if resources weren't so stretched, for the majority of us anyway. Those that show their marriage is valid and are eager to earn and pay tax and get involved with the lifestyle should be welcome. I can't see how the economic requirements help anyone other than the rich or the criminal aspect that use bogus marriages to get people in here. (E mailed my MP by the way waiting and said more of less the same - waiting for a reply)

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Vintage wrote:It's not right at all. Although I am mostly against uncontrolled immigration basically due to the numbers of people already here, can't help thinking everyone- already here, could have a better standard of living if resources weren't so stretched, for the majority of us anyway. Those that show their marriage is valid and are eager to earn and pay tax and get involved with the lifestyle should be welcome. I can't see how the economic requirements help anyone other than the rich or the criminal aspect that use bogus marriages to get people in here. (E mailed my MP by the way waiting and said more of less the same - waiting for a reply)

Thank you so much, for the email and your sincere thoughts.
Means an awful lot x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 am

eddie wrote:Ben landed safely in Texas about an hour ago.

Miss him already.
Oh I am sad you are apart again, that's not the way it's supposed to be. Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 am

Thanks, Syl.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:23 am

eddie wrote:Ben landed safely in Texas about an hour ago.

Miss him already.

With the way the wind is blowing, that plane may have come in sideways.

No doubt it must suck to be separated for silly reasons.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm

When someone wants something badly enough they always find a way to get it.
It might take a bit of time, but considering how far you have both come through sheer longing this is just the next step.
Good luck. xxx
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:26 am

Syl wrote:When someone wants something badly enough they always find a way to get it.
It might take a bit of time, but considering how far you have both come through sheer longing this is just the next step.
Good luck. xxx

Yeah we have come a long way! Two years of just messaging and talking every day for hours on end and never, ever, making a move one way or the other.
We built an amazing friendship just through words alone.

Thanks you Syl. I think you were one of the first to say to me via pm “Are you sure there’s nothing going on between you and Ben?”

Hahahahaha we were in immense denial. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:53 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:When someone wants something badly enough they always find a way to get it.
Good luck. xxx

Yeah we have come a long way! Two years of just messaging and talking every day for hours on end and never, ever, making a move one way or the other.
We built an amazing friendship just through words alone.

Thanks you Syl. I think you were one of the first to say to me via pm “Are you sure there’s nothing going on between you and Ben?”

Hahahahaha we were in immense denial. Rolling Eyes

It was pretty obvious tbh, I'm sure others could see it too even if you two couldn't......though maybe it was just you who couldn't. I love you

I remember when it did get serious you said you had fallen in love with the words Ben wrote.
You were lke old fashioned pen pals, who fell in love by letter writings long before they met, and some never did meet.....it's a very romantic way to fall in love.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly and nicko like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3