NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Elvis Was the King

+2
Maddog
nicko
6 posters

Go down

Why Elvis Was the King Empty Why Elvis Was the King

Post by Guest Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 pm

I love the reactions of the people here and it says it all. What it means to them.

Enjoy

Back to top Go down

Why Elvis Was the King Empty Re: Why Elvis Was the King

Post by nicko Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 am

Elvis, a man who could sing any type of song, Pop, Religious etc,in fact the whole gamut of the Music scene. There will never be another of his ilk !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Oddly enough, that song was written by a redneck from Lubbock, Texas. Mac Davis.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:43 pm

I never liked him, his voice or his music. Not my cup of tea.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm

eddie wrote:I never liked him, his voice or his music. Not my cup of tea.

I can understand why people may not like Elvis for his personality, but his voice?

Sory Eddie, he had just bout one of the most unique and powerful voices going. The notes he could pull off is now led to people failing multiple times today trying to pull off the same.

You may not like his music or his voice, litteraly tens of millions of fans simple cannot be wrong

That brought fun and passion into singing and inspired countless generations and inspired countless musical artists

That is why he is the King

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Not keen on Elvis as such but his voice was wonderful.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Vintage wrote:Not keen on Elvis as such but his voice was wonderful.

Exactly. He had an outsnading voice and was at first often mistaken as being black as well from the radio

Elvis was unique and helped shape and form civil rights also, by bridging divides with music

He was a first class performer. He was seriously a fucked up individual, but his singing and voice was second to none

That is why even today and even the videos I posted. Sjows how even today how he can tocuh the hearts of people

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 pm

How about this song Eddie and do a critical response to this?
How forward thinking was this song for the time?
How many people can pull of this passion when singing?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm

I can see why people liked him didge, like I can see why people like Whitney Houston - but they’re just not my cup of tea.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:07 pm

eddie wrote:I never liked him, his voice or his music. Not my cup of tea.

Mac Davis?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:10 pm

eddie wrote:I can see why people liked him didge, like I can see why people like Whitney Houston - but they’re just not my cup of tea.

I get why people may not like him as a person for basically using women, but I just showed you videos today of people you now watch his performances and go wow and many are vocalists.

Look at how much fun elvis places into his performances?

How many other artists do this?

To me either people are envious of Elvis or love him

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:I can see why people liked him didge, like I can see why people like Whitney Houston - but they’re just not my cup of tea.

I get why people may not like him as a person for basically using women, but I just showed you videos today of people you now watch his performances and go wow and many are vocalists.

Elvis had a great voice and was a hell of a performer. He caught magic in bottle with his timing. But I tend to give the songwriters a lot of credit because they have to have the inspiration and creativity to write these songs. I'm not sure if Elvis wrote more than a handful of songs.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Elvis had a great voice and was a hell of a performer.  He caught magic in bottle with his timing.  But I tend to give the songwriters a lot of credit because they have to have the inspiration and creativity to write these songs.  I'm not sure if Elvis wrote more than a handful of songs.  

I agree that the songwriters should be given huge credit, but the point is would their songs have of been hits without Elvis?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 pm

phildidge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Elvis had a great voice and was a hell of a performer.  He caught magic in bottle with his timing.  But I tend to give the songwriters a lot of credit because they have to have the inspiration and creativity to write these songs.  I'm not sure if Elvis wrote more than a handful of songs.  

I agree that the songwriters should be given huge credit, but the point is would their songs have of been hits without Elvis?

Maybe not. But Elvis wouldn't have had much luck without someone writing his songs.

That's why I think Johnny Cash had more talent. Granted, he couldn't sing as well.

Speaking of great talent with very mediocre pipes, there's Willie Nelson or Bob Dylan.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Maybe not. But Elvis wouldn't have had much luck without someone writing his songs.  

That's why I think Johnny Cash had more talent. Granted, he couldn't sing as well.

Speaking of great talent with very mediocre pipes, there's Willie Nelson or Bob Dylan.  

I agree that it again takes great talent to create songs, but again Elvis was able to change songs written to make them magic. Its not just about writing a song, but how it is performed mate

I agree on the latter two examples but to me, pale into comparrison to Buddy Holly. Who to me was a true musical genius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Music is all about personal taste, like any art. Like I said, I can see why people liked him but he didn’t do much for me. It’s not about envy or anything else. scratch
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm

I'd far prefer to listen to Johnny Cash over Elvis, and I'm not even that big a Johnny Cash fan (I prefer Willie Nelson).

The thing that made Elvis huge, really, is that he performed black music with a white face in an America in which the white majority mostly didn't buy music by black people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I'd far prefer to listen to Johnny Cash over Elvis, and I'm not even that big a Johnny Cash fan (I prefer Willie Nelson).

The thing that made Elvis huge, really, is that he performed black music with a white face in an America in which the white majority mostly didn't buy music by black people.

You think that is what made Elvis big? Not the fact he basically brought anout a major change in music and was a sex symbol, with a great singing voice?

Each to their own, but I find Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson awful in comparrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:32 pm

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I'd far prefer to listen to Johnny Cash over Elvis, and I'm not even that big a Johnny Cash fan (I prefer Willie Nelson).

You think that is what made Elvis big? Not the fact he basically brought anout a major change in music and was a sex symbol, with a great singing voice?

Each to their own, but I find Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson awful in comparrison

Elvis definitely had the looks too. And the moves too. His voice was strong and his timing was perfect.

I wonder where Buddy would have wound up if he had lived longer?

Another west Texan with a great deal of talent was Roy Orbison. West Texas is very lightly populated, but it sure has produced some talent.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Roy Orbison, the big "O" and Buddy Holly, What a pair ! Willie Nelson not bad , Johnny Cash, Ring of fire, about the only song any good !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:13 pm

Maddog wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Elvis definitely had the looks too. And the moves too.  His voice was strong and his timing was perfect.

I wonder where Buddy would have wound up if he had lived longer?

Another west Texan with a great deal of talent was Roy Orbison.  West Texas is very lightly populated, but it sure has produced some talent.

Yep Texas has certainly produced some talented musicians and I often wonder what Buddy would have done if he lived longer
I think Buddy Holly was the First White Act to Play the Apollo Theater in Harlem.
He was a massive influence on many other musicians, including the Beatles

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Elvis & his ilk helped bring MOBO/Motown music into the mainstream.

It was an era when it was difficult for musicians of colour to break out, cos many obstacles were deliberately thrown in their paths by bigots. Only the truly exceptional ones made it.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:43 pm

phildidge wrote:I love the reactions of the people here and it says it all. What it means to them.

Enjoy

Ya.  Soulful song. cheers

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Love it !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:37 pm

phildidge wrote:

He brought about a major change in music by introducing white audiences to black music via his white self, who they could listen to without thinking they were betraying their race or some shit.

He was gifted with good genes and a decent singing voice, and otherwise, he was in the right place at the right time, in my book.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

He brought about a major change in music by introducing white audiences to black music via his white self, who they could listen to without thinking they were betraying their race or some shit.

He was gifted with good genes and a decent singing voice, and otherwise, he was in the right place at the right time, in my book.

He was part American indian and like everyone else is either gifted with music or they are not
I foubt genes play much part in this

I thought you were a fan of muticuluralism?

You think it was only black music?

The influence on elvis, was the blues, gosple, country etc

What he did lke Buddy Holly was help de-segregate music and make it open to everyone

Just as many black artists did like chuck berry

Last edited by phildidge on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 pm

phildidge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

He was part American indian and like everyone else is either gifted with music or they are not
I foubt genes play much part in this

I thought you were a fan of muticuluralism?

You think it was only black music?

The influence on elvis, was the blues, gosple, country etc

What he did lke Buddy Holly was help de-segregate music and make it open to everyone

Just as many black artists did like chuck berry

What Elvis did, was bridge divides

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down