NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

+4
eddie
JulesV
Andy
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 pm

A small clinical study in California has suggested for the first time that it might be possible to reverse the body’s epigenetic clock, which measures a person’s biological age.

For one year, nine healthy volunteers took a cocktail of three common drugs — growth hormone and two diabetes medications — and on average shed 2.5 years of their biological ages, measured by analysing marks on a person’s genomes. The participants’ immune systems also showed signs of rejuvenation.

The results were a surprise even to the trial organizers — but researchers caution that the findings are preliminary because the trial was small and did not include a control arm.

“I’d expected to see slowing down of the clock, but not a reversal,” says geneticist Steve Horvath at the University of California, Los Angeles, who conducted the epigenetic analysis. “That felt kind of futuristic.” The findings were published on 5 September in Aging Cell.

“It may be that there is an effect,” says cell biologist Wolfgang Wagner at the University of Aachen in Germany. “But the results are not rock solid because the study is very small and not well controlled.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02638-w

Surely something that warrants further study!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty Re: HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Andy Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable increase in the human population.
Better to focus on illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy and cancer that kill the young, rather than prolonging the life of octogenarians.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process Empty Re: HOLY FUCKING SHIT: Scientists just might have managed to reverse the aging process

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Andy wrote:Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable  increase in the human population.
Better to focus on illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy and cancer that kill the young, rather than prolonging the life of octogenarians.

Fuck that shit, I want to live forever! Laughing

But yeah, we do need to rein in the size of the global population.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Ageing - and cancer - are both the result of cell DNA deteriorating - maybe they have found a way of blocking this.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Why would we want to? No! Stop messing with nature!
It’s fucking nasty.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:44 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Andy wrote:Which will lead to hugely increased numbers of elderly people, lower early mortality rates and a massive and unsustainable  increase in the human population.

Fuck that shit, I want to live forever! Laughing

But yeah, we do need to rein in the size of the global population.

That can easily be arranged... Twisted Evil
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Idea

One "small" clinical study...

With a whole nine test subjects..

Methinks some cash-strapped researchers are chasing some funding to further advance their trials and testing ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:12 pm

'Wolfie wrote: Idea

One "small" clinical study...

With a whole nine test subjects..

Methinks some cash-strapped researchers are chasing some funding to further advance their trials and testing  ?

I think it’s a ghastly idea.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

But if I could have avoided losing my dad at age 60 because of this potential medical breakthrough, that would have been wonderful. I wish he'd gotten to see me marry the love of my life, and had the chance to meet my stepchildren. I know it would have made him really happy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

But if I could have avoided losing my dad at age 60 because of this potential medical breakthrough, that would have been wonderful. I wish he'd gotten to see me marry the love of my life, and had the chance to meet my stepchildren. I know it would have made him really happy.

I take your point because my dad didn’t see my kids grow up, he never knew his granddaughter at all, but I still find the idea icky and a bit Frankensteinish.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:32 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I think it sounds like something that could allow people to live into their 80s and 90s with a much higher quality of life. At a certain point, I do think most people would decide to let themselves age to death, so to speak.

I take your point because my dad didn’t see my kids grow up, he never knew his granddaughter at all, but I still find the idea icky and a bit Frankensteinish.

Isn't most medication designed to prolong and extend life?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Exactly.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

Unfortunately, a sizable part of it is to reduce pain...which inevitably leads to addiction and loss of life.

I don't understand it. Pain is your friend. It's your body talking to you.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Unfortunately, a sizable part of it is to reduce pain...which inevitably leads to addiction and loss of life.

I don't understand it.  Pain is your friend.  It's your body talking to you.

Perhaps you should have surgery without anesthesia.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down