NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Evening Fun

+6
Vintage
Original Quill
Maddog
@lex
Syl
Cass
10 posters

Go down

Sunday Evening Fun Empty Sunday Evening Fun

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:09 am

Well kids, don’t try this at home. After a great weekend babysitting, Mr. C and I are happily chugging along home when we had a blowout. Fun, fun, fun. Luckily we managed to get off the highway and onto the slip road. Just waiting for recovery. I highly recommend you have roadside assistance. And am glad we always travel with water and clean underwear!

Picture of The Princess because I needed some happiness.

Sunday Evening Fun Bfb4ed10
Sunday Evening Fun Ab6e8210
Sunday Evening Fun C1f7ad10
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Sunday Evening Fun Empty Re: Sunday Evening Fun

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:02 am

Well they arrived and changed it out for the spare and we are on the road home.

The bonus to all of this, is that I now know what the inside of a tire looks like. One of life’s mysteries is solved.

And Mr. C is getting a supersized jack for Christmas. Don’t tell him. I want it to be a surprise afro
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Cass, first of all, because she is so gorgeous, I have to say what a lovely baby your little grand daughter is.
I know you are going to have the best times of your life with her...grandkids are such a gift. No matter how much we love our children, grandchildren bring another dimension into or lives.....and if they ever get too much, you can always give em back at the end of the day...perfection. Laughing

Thank God you are both all right after the blow out, it's a scary thig to happen, but alls well that ends well.

That happened to us a couple of years ago on a windy Welsh road. We had no spare (this car was only equipped to hold one of those temporary kits but it was useless) the mobile didn't work because we were in such a remote area, and it was getting dusk....it was a bloody nightmare.

That tyre was like ours....shredded, glad that everything was sorted in the end for you. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by @lex Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:19 pm

What a sweet little angel. Cass, you are blessed.
@lex
@lex
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Not providing spare tires in cars is silly, but maybe the car companies figure the typical American can't change a tire anymore?

What in the hell is a slip road?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:28 pm

And the kiddo is a cutie pie.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Beautiful, happy grand child.  Is she growing?

Thank god you have AAA, Cass.  Having lived for years in Arizona, I know how hot August can be.  But, be careful where you pull over...you are also in the monsoon season.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Syl wrote:Cass, first of all, because she is so gorgeous, I have to say what a lovely baby your little grand daughter is.
I know you are going to have the best times of your life with her...grandkids are such a gift. No matter how much we love our children, grandchildren bring another dimension into or lives.....and if they ever get too much, you can always give em back at the end of the day...perfection. Laughing

Thank God you are both all right after the blow out, it's a scary thig to happen, but alls well that ends well.

That happened to us a couple of years ago on a windy Welsh road. We had no spare (this car was only equipped to hold one of those temporary kits but it was useless) the mobile didn't work because we were in such a remote area, and it was getting dusk....it was a bloody nightmare.

That tyre was like ours....shredded, glad that everything was sorted in the end for you. x

Thank you. Having fun with her. Still mostly sleeping but she’s so alert when she is awake. So mostly I did cleaning and laundry and dinner prep for them. They’re still trying to find the routine. They learned the hard lesson that late nights out plus alcohol plus baby plus working the next day is a thing of the past lol.

It wasn’t until this morning that I realized that we could’ve died. Mr. C’s army defensive driving classes really paid off. Longest 20 seconds of my life as you know x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 pm

@lex wrote:
What a sweet little angel. Cass, you are blessed.

Thank you stranger. Hope you are well xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Maddog wrote:Not providing spare tires in cars is silly, but maybe the car companies figure the typical American can't change a tire anymore?

What in the hell is a slip road?  

We had the spare but not the jack. If we had it he could’ve changed it but the rescue guy also had one of those thingys that gets the wheel nuts off in seconds. When we bought our Hyundai brand new in 2016 Mr. C got them to eventually thrown in a proper spare and kit and not the useless temporary one. It’s just a way of them getting more money from you now. In the UK we only ever bought one brand new car back in 2003 and a spare wasn’t included there as well.

Slip road is Brit speak for exit ramp.

Thank you. Hope you get one soon x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:Beautiful, happy grand child.  Is she growing?

Thank god you have AAA, Cass.  Having lived for years in Arizona, I know how hot August can be.  But, be careful where you pull over...you are also in the monsoon season.

Thank you. She is growing. Her long legs really pack a punch when she kicks. A career in soccer awaits her if Daddy gets his way.

Yes we get it through our insurance. It was dark but luckily we were in the right lane and 1/2 mile from an exit that had room on the side (but still assholes came raging by even though our hazards could be seen clearly). Luckily no monsoon (it’s been very poor this year as I’m sure your daughter has said but forecast says maybe more). I was more concerned about needing to pee and the rescue guy was asking Mr. C where ya from and what brought you here and I’m screaming inside because I’m not going in the bushes where there are HUGE NASTY SNAKES. Luckily I was chatting with Lez (thank you different time zones) and another friend so they kept me occupied until we got on our way and could get to a gas station.

We also cleaned up our mess unlike most idiots. I get it if it’s in the middle of the highway or in the median, that would be far too dangerous but on the shoulder??? Come on people.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Cass wrote:
Sunday Evening Fun C1f7ad10

Toooo cute. You should make that your profile Pic me Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:25 am

Thanks Didge but I think I’ll keep the one I’ve got. It’s pretty much similar to the only other one I’ve ever had and when things went wonky here a while ago, Veya made it for me. But thank you again for your kind words.

Where is Veya by the way? I miss him.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:39 am

Cass wrote:Thanks Didge but I think I’ll keep the one I’ve got. It’s pretty much similar to the only other one I’ve ever had and when things went wonky here a while ago, Veya made it for me. But thank you again for your kind words.

No idea. The last he was here, he had met a lovely lady. So I hope they are both happy and together enjoying life. Maybe that is the reason he is not on these days. 

I know Ben and eddie can contact him for you if you like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:58 am

phildidge wrote:
Cass wrote:Thanks Didge but I think I’ll keep the one I’ve got. It’s pretty much similar to the only other one I’ve ever had and when things went wonky here a while ago, Veya made it for me. But thank you again for your kind words.

No idea. The last he was here, he had met a lovely lady. So I hope they are both happy and together enjoying life. Maybe that is the reason he is not on these days. 

I know Ben and eddie can contact him for you if you like?

Ah yes I remember seeing that a while ago but I wasn’t around much then. Thanks for the reminder! And I hope he’s all loved up in the outback I love you
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Beautiful baby Cass, I wouldn't want to put her down, just cwtch her all day.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 pm

She really is a pretty baby! Not all babies are so pretty. My two came out looking like bald monkeys.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 pm

My two Boys looked like shrivelled Carrots, my Daughter, smooth as a Peach !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:33 am

Vintage wrote:Beautiful baby Cass, I wouldn't want to put her down, just cwtch her all day.

Thank you x It was hard to leave her but we are up there again over Labor Day weekend. We are lucky that they don’t live in another state or country!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:36 am

eddie wrote:She really is a pretty baby! Not all babies are so pretty. My two came out looking like bald monkeys.

Thank you x

Senior came out looking all red and mad and shocked, Junior was all squished and a bit blue and a bit like Winston Churchill Laughing

They’ve turned into handsome chaps though.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 am

nicko wrote:My two Boys looked like shrivelled Carrots, my Daughter, smooth as a Peach !

Lol!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 am

Well when Mr. C took the tire in there was no obvious puncture or nail so they reckon it was just the intense heat. I gotta admit it's made me a bit paranoid about driving the truck there while it’s so stinking hot. Today at work it was 102 pale
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Cass wrote:Well when Mr. C took the tire in there was no obvious puncture or nail so they reckon it was just the intense heat. I gotta admit it's made me a bit paranoid about driving the truck there while it’s so stinking hot. Today at work it was 102 pale

Switch it out with the spare, if you have any inkling that something might be wrong.  Or...take no chances and throw it out.  If experts can't give you a definitive answer as to what went on--they "reckon"?? That sounds occult--I wouldn't take chances with my granddaughter.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:She really is a pretty baby! Not all babies are so pretty. My two came out looking like bald monkeys.

Thank you x

Senior came out looking all red and mad and shocked, Junior was all squished and a bit blue and a bit like Winston Churchill  Laughing

They certainly have. My son is pretty handsome...my daughter looks like one of those St Trinian’s kids, all freckles and crooked hair. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:56 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Thank you x

Senior came out looking all red and mad and shocked, Junior was all squished and a bit blue and a bit like Winston Churchill  Laughing

They certainly have. My son is pretty handsome...my daughter looks like one of those St Trinian’s kids, all freckles and crooked hair. Rolling Eyes

She's downplaying them -- they could both be models, they're absolutely beautiful. Which feels like a weird thing to say about a young man I'm not related to, but he's quite the dapper chapper and I'm sure the girls have lots of time for him.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:06 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

She's downplaying them -- they could both be models, they're absolutely beautiful. Which feels like a weird thing to say about a young man I'm not related to, but he's quite the dapper chapper and I'm sure the girls have lots of time for him.

I know. I managed a look at some pics back yonder. Really good lookin' family, both sides.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:13 am

Thank you Quill. Here’s a photo of my daughter, on a rare occasion, looking a bit more  “put together”.
She was on holiday with her dad.

Sunday Evening Fun Bf35f210
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:29 am

Cass wrote:
Well when Mr. C took the tire in there was no obvious puncture or nail so they reckon it was just the intense heat. I gotta admit it's made me a bit paranoid about driving the truck there while it’s so stinking hot. Today at work it was 102 pale

Idea

As 'counter-intuitive' as it may sound at first,  under-inflated tyres ('tires' in the US..) are more inclined to blow out, (more room for the air to heat up and expand, more friction, more flexing/movement in sidewalls --  yabber yabber, blah blah..).

As well as maintaining enough tread depth and watching out for general tyre condition,  the most viable option is to keep the tyre pressures around the top of the carmaker's recommended pressures --  a pound or 3 over won't hurt, but a few pounds under the manufacturers minimum will contribute to both blowouts and 'slow leaks', as well as pinch flats..

Then again, there's always that well known mantra to use when things still go bellyup despite the best laid plans and maintenance ==  "shit happens !"
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am

'Wolfie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Idea

As 'counter-intuitive' as it may sound at first,  under-inflated tyres ('tires' in the US..) are more inclined to blow out, (more room for the air to heat up and expand, more friction, more flexing/movement in sidewalls --  yabber yabber, blah blah..).

As well as maintaining enough tread depth and watching out for general tyre condition,  the most viable option is to keep the tyre pressures around the top of the carmaker's recommended pressures --  a pound or 3 over won't hurt, but a few pounds under the manufacturers minimum will contribute to both blowouts and 'slow leaks', as well as pinch flats..

Then again, there's always that well known mantra to use when things still go bellyup despite the best laid plans and maintenance  ==  "shit happens !"

Not to mention that properly inflated tires boost your vehicle's fuel economy, helping the planet and your bank balance. I remember when Republicans ridiculed Obama for saying that proper tire inflation helps fight global warming, but he was right.

Properly inflated tires are like shoes that fit properly. If you slide around in your shoes, you spend a lot more energy walking than if your shoes stay put. Tires are the same way -- low tires slip around on the road instead of gripping it properly.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:10 am

eddie wrote:Thank you Quill. Here’s a photo of my daughter, on a rare occasion, looking a bit more  “put together”.
She was on holiday with her dad.

Sunday Evening Fun Bf35f210

So beautiful. Like the pic of her brother, perfect features. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:16 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
'Wolfie wrote:
Idea

Then again, there's always that well known mantra to use when things still go bellyup despite the best laid plans and maintenance  ==  "shit happens !"

Not to mention that properly inflated tires boost your vehicle's fuel economy, helping the planet and your bank balance. I remember when Republicans ridiculed Obama for saying that proper tire inflation helps fight global warming, but he was right.

Properly inflated tires are like shoes that fit properly. If you slide around in your shoes, you spend a lot more energy walking than if your shoes stay put. Tires are the same way -- low tires slip around on the road instead of gripping it properly.

Honestly guys we had no indication except it got a bit vibraty before it blew which is why he moved into the right lane and slowed down. He’s paranoid to point of annoyance about checking things before we go on a longish journey.

So who knows how it happened? But I never ever want to go through it again.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:17 am

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Thank you x

Your son and “Jeff” ( Razz ) are cute. As “Jeff” gets older she looks more like you!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Cass wrote:So who knows how it happened? But I never ever want to go through it again.

I'd wanta know. I'd want to hear at least a theory or two. That's a very harsh environment down there.

Do you carry an emergency kit (water, food, first-aid, flashlight, necessary tools, etc.)? When I lived there, I often asked myself, what happens if you don't have this car and the AC? You could be dead in an hour.

Just sayin'.....

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
'Wolfie wrote:
Idea

Properly inflated tires do give you better fuel economy, but not better traction.

Letting air out actually improves traction.

Doesn't help the tire any though.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:So who knows how it happened? But I never ever want to go through it again.

I'd wanta know.  I'd want to hear at least a theory or two.  That's a very harsh environment down there.

Do you carry an emergency kit (water, food, first-aid, flashlight, necessary tools, etc.)?  When I lived there, I often asked myself, what happens if you don't have this car and the AC?  You could be dead in an hour.

Just sayin'.....

You know that people survived in AZ prior to AC don't you?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'd wanta know.  I'd want to hear at least a theory or two.  That's a very harsh environment down there.

Do you carry an emergency kit (water, food, first-aid, flashlight, necessary tools, etc.)?  When I lived there, I often asked myself, what happens if you don't have this car and the AC?  You could be dead in an hour.

Just sayin'.....

You know that people survived in AZ prior to AC don't you?

And the Hopi and Apaches as well.  They all took special precautions that are completely forgotten today.  We are only beginning to rethink them, in the present.

That's why I brought up an emergency kit...you anticipate the problems you'll meet, and prepare for them.  A lot of that means going back to yesteryear. Know what an Arizona room is?...a screen porch, and the only place you could sleep in the late summer.  A second home at Roosevelt Lake? Ice houses. High ceilings. Windows away from the sun's path. Parasols...or sun screens in vehicle windows. Fans. Closed fireplace. Open windows at night and put a damp sheet over it to create cooler air.

But anticipating it is the main thing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down