NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of ‘Drag Kids’—and the Death of Gay Culture

Go down

The Rise of ‘Drag Kids’—and the Death of Gay Culture Empty The Rise of ‘Drag Kids’—and the Death of Gay Culture

Post by Guest Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Last month, the CBC—Canada’s public television network—ran a lavishly publicized documentary about “four kid drag queens as they prepare to slay on Montreal stage.” This was marketed as child-friendly content. Indeed, the CBC promoted the documentary, titled Drag Kids, on its “CBC Kids News” channel as a fun look at children who “sashay their way into the spotlight.”

For me, as a gay man, watching the documentary was traumatic. The interviewed parents defend themselves against accusations they are abusing their children by encouraging them to dress up in drag. But to do so, the parents must purport to separate drag from sex and sexuality, which is simply ahistorical. They define drag as “a way of expression,” and assure everyone that “there’s nothing sexual to it” (a premise that the CBC clearly embedded in the marketing around the documentary). The kids themselves are very much on message. One remarks, “I was called gay-boy, but I did nothing but dress up.”

That last remark actually brought tears to my eyes—though not for the reasons you might think. I cried not because of the homophobia directed against that little boy for dressing in drag. No, I cried instead because we now inhabit a culture that denies our real gay history of gender revolt—from the British “Molly Houses” of the 18th century (where homosexual men dressed up and held mock weddings and birthings), to the drag queens who threw the first rocks at Stonewall and invented gay liberation.

I thought a lot about that. And then I decided that as a gay man and drag queen, it was time to just, well, give up. After years of propaganda to the effect that sex is meaningless and “gender expression” is all that matters, it’s now official: Gay is gone.

https://quillette.com/2019/08/10/the-rise-of-drag-kids-and-the-death-of-gay-culture/

Back to top Go down

The Rise of ‘Drag Kids’—and the Death of Gay Culture Empty Re: The Rise of ‘Drag Kids’—and the Death of Gay Culture

Post by eddie Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Not sure I really understand what the author of this article is on about, if I’m honest.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down