NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser

5 posters

Go down

Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser Empty Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 pm

President George W. Bush’s former chief strategist Matthew Dowd on Sunday likened Christians in Arizona who are using religion to discriminate against LGBT people to Islamic terrorists.

Last week, Arizona’s legislature passed a bill that would allow business owners to assert religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate against gay and lesbian customers.

On Sunday, ABC’s Martha Raddatz asked Dowd to predict if Gov. Jan Brewer (R) would sign the bill into law.

“I think, in the end, Gov. Brewer is probably going to veto this because it seems like an easy veto for her to do because of everything that’s going in the business economy there,” Dowd explained.

“This is one of those problems when people use religion as a way to sort of enforce discriminatory practices,” he continued. “People used religion back in the 1860s when they defended slavery. They used religion to defend slavery.”

“We’ve used religion to go to war. People have criticized Islam because they use religion to fight people and kill people. This is the problem with that [bill].”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/23/former-bush-aide-arizona-anti-gay-christians-use-religion-like-islamic-terrorists/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser Empty Re: Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm

There's already a thread on this subject as well!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser Empty Re: Christians Pushing Arizona Anti-Gay Bill Likened to Islamic Terrorists by Former Bush Adviser

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Could you provide a link?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

yes they are so like islamic terrorists, they have been blowing people up... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

That's a related story, but not the same story. That story doesn't contain the commentary from this prominent Bush adviser, and this story doesn't quote the business community -- it's another perspective on the story.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:26 pm

funny how wanting equality is seen as terrorism...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:26 pm

heavenly father wrote:yes they are so like islamic terrorists, they have been blowing people up... Smile 

No, they're using their religion as a justification to treat people poorly.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:yes they are so like islamic terrorists, they have been blowing people up... Smile 

they are asking for equal rights, that's all..they are not murdering anyone..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

They're asking for special rights -- the special right to discriminate against people who they have a problem with because of religion. A Christian should be expected to be able to shop at a store run by an atheist without being discriminated against on the basis of their religious faith.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

They're asking for special rights -- the special right to discriminate against people who they have a problem with because of religion. A Christian should be expected to be able to shop at a store run by an atheist without being discriminated against on the basis of their religious faith.

they are asking for the right to sell their good and services to whom ever they wish, why isn't that equality..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

they are asking for the right to sell their good and services to whom ever they wish, why isn't that equality..

They are asking for the right NOT to sell their goods and services to certain people they don't like, which is not equality.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 pm

they should have the right to refuse sale or service, that is equality..

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

That's a related story, but not the same story. That story doesn't contain the commentary from this prominent Bush adviser, and this story doesn't quote the business community -- it's another perspective on the story.

I still think that one thread would have sufficed.

Anyway, all this nonsense about gay people is getting on my nerves - the US and UK shouldn't need all these daft laws one way or another. I doubt many businesses would want to discriminate anyway because it means losing business.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm

heavenly father wrote:they should have the right to refuse sale or service, that is equality..

Well then there should be a law which says that anyone can refuse sales or service based on any reason at all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
heavenly father wrote:they should have the right to refuse sale or service, that is equality..

Well then there should be a law which says that anyone can refuse sales or service based on any reason at all.

I agree there should if equality mattered... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I mean, why do they need that law? Does that mean if a gay bloke went into a small shop to buy a can of drink, the shopkeeper can tell him to bog off because he's gay? What kind of idiot would do that anyway?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

I mean, why do they need that law? Does that mean if a gay bloke went into a small shop to buy a can of drink, the shopkeeper can tell him to bog off because he's gay? What kind of idiot would do that anyway?

i said that when it came up before as a rule shops want to sell it keeps them open but if they find someone threatening or what ever the right to refuse should be available to them ..

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm

heaveniy father wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

i said that when it came up before as  a rule shops want to sell it  keeps them open but if they find someone threatening or what ever the right to refuse should be available to them ..

Yes, and that could apply to anyone, whether they were gay or not. If gay people are going around being threatening, I could understand it, but is that the case?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
heaveniy father wrote:

i said that when it came up before as  a rule shops want to sell it  keeps them open but if they find someone threatening or what ever the right to refuse should be available to them ..

Yes, and that could apply to anyone, whether they were gay or not. If gay people are going around being threatening, I could understand it, but is that the case?

absolutely and to be honest how would the shop owner know they were gay...it all something and nothing really but shops should be able to refuse just as their basic rights..

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

heaveniy father wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

absolutely and to be honest how would the shop owner know they were gay...it all something and nothing really but shops should be able to refuse just as their basic rights..

I would have thought that shops could already refuse to serve someone who was causing trouble. That's certainly the case in the UK.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Surprised 

I CAN only assume that you were born after the introduction of anti-discrimination laws, Ragamuffin...

IN which case, I would refer you back to the anti-"black" restrictions that were allowed in the USA and Australia up until the 1960s, and South Africa into the 1980s..

There were plenty of such "idiots" ho supported such discrimination back then !    Basketball 

Well we're supposed to be more enlightened these days, aren't we?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

you could just as easily say, i'm sorry they are out of stock or what ever reason you would like to give and refuse that way, it really is a fuss about nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
heaveniy father wrote:

i said that when it came up before as a rule shops want to sell it keeps them open but if they find someone threatening or what ever the right to refuse should be available to them ..

Suspect 

THE hell you did, heavenly father !!!

Now you're changing your own quotes on the run..

That's even more ridiculous than trying to redefine the word "equality" !    :-:bravo:-: 

check back through the previous thread and you will find it, oh i forgot trolls can't read, trolls don't contribute trolls just insult... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:32 pm

there are many ways they could refuse sale without showing their was any issue with, sexuality, colour or what ever,... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm

heaveniy father wrote:there are many ways they could refuse sale without showing their was any issue with, sexuality, colour or what ever,... Smile 

That would be discrimination. It's been tried and rejected by the US Supreme Court in Burdine v. Texas Department of Community Affairs, 450 U.S. 248 (1981).

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:59 am

I wonder, if this were a Muslim group pushing for this, would the response of some of you be the same??? Always about those crazy Christians.  Seems if you are a Muslim you can do just about anything you damn please in this country.

Beyond me how any American can feel in  a free country anyone should have the right to tell any privately owned business who they have to service or sell to. No matter what the reason. I have been in Yacht Clubs where you have to have a card to get in. Dined in Restaurants where I need a suit and tie to sit.  So what is the difference here? Some people do not want gays in their place of business and others do not want junkies in theirs.  Bottom line is, once the business decision is made, the free market will dictate if it was in fact a good business move or poor.  I know Joey Venuto of Geno’s Steaks didn't let the government dictate to him. Made him millions. That is the way it should be.. Oh BTW.. I have a family member who is gay. He said he doesn't give a crap what they say, his money spends good anywhere and they are making to much of this. He said a Muslim refused to buy a car from him because he was gay. Should he be able to force him into buying the car?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 am

Hotwired wrote:I wonder, if this were a Muslim group pushing for this, would the response of some of you be the same??? Always about those crazy Christians.  Seems if you are a Muslim you can do just about anything you damn please in this country.

Beyond me how any American can feel in  a free country anyone should have the right to tell any privately owned business who they have to service or sell to. No matter what the reason. I have been in Yacht Clubs where you have to have a card to get in. Dined in Restaurants where I need a suit and tie to sit.  So what is the difference here? Some people do not want gays in their place of business and others do not want junkies in theirs.  Bottom line is, once the business decision is made, the free market will dictate if it was in fact a good business move or poor.  I know Joey Venuto of Geno’s Steaks didn't let the government dictate to him. Made him millions. That is the way it should be.. Oh BTW.. I have a family member who is gay. He said he doesn't give a crap what they say, his money spends good anywhere and they are making to much of this. He said a Muslim refused to buy a car from him because he was gay. Should he be able to force him into buying the car?

There's something to be said for just letting people decide who they want to do business with or who they want to provide service to. I don't really get why there needs to be a specific law to say that people can refuse to do business with gay people though. Perhaps there's history to it which I should look up.

I take your point about the free market dictating if it's a good business move or not. People are free to refuse to do business with someone they consider to be a bigot I guess, and they're free to go elsewhere.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 am

Hotwired wrote:I wonder, if this were a Muslim group pushing for this, would the response of some of you be the same??? Always about those crazy Christians.  Seems if you are a Muslim you can do just about anything you damn please in this country.

The difference is you can always put on a suit and tie, but I disagree with them too on principal but they are not quite as bad. And Junkie meaning THEAVING drug addict is fair enough  Rolling Eyes  But not thieving regular drug addicts should be allowed  Neutral 

https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2778-overdressed-mum-barred-from-pool#45498

Well us secularists are still fighting discrimination   ::D:: ::D:: ::D::  Freedom to be unbound by religion. Freedom of Choice
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down