NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family History

5 posters

Go down

Family History Empty Family History

Post by Vintage Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am

I wondered if anyone knows the answer to this rather long question:

Mary & John marry they have two children Mark and Jo, after awhile they divorce.
Mary then marries David and they have a child Jenny,
John also remarries, and - he and his wife Ann have a child Paul.

Mark, Jo & Jenny are half siblings on one side as are Mark ,Jo and Paul on the other.

Is there any recognised relationship between Jenny and Paul? Are they step siblings?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Family History Empty Re: Family History

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Vintage wrote:I wondered if anyone knows the answer to this rather long question:

Mary & John marry they have two children Mark and Jo, after awhile they divorce.
John also remarries,  and - he and his wife Ann have a child Paul.

Mark, Jo & Jenny are half siblings on one side as are Mark ,Jo and Paul on the other.

Is there any recognised relationship between Jenny and Paul?  Are they step siblings?

God knows. I'm just grateful I don't have to keep up to date with the family Christmas card list.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Vintage wrote:I wondered if anyone knows the answer to this rather long question:

Is there any recognised relationship between Jenny and Paul?  Are they step siblings?

step-sibling. Noun. (plural step-siblings) The offspring of one's stepfather or stepmother who is not the offspring of one's mother and is not the offspring of one's father. The stepchild of one's father or mother which is not one's half-sibling.
https://www.yourdictionary.com/step-sibling

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am

Is there any recognised relationship between Jenny and Paul?  

Are they step siblings?

GREAT conundrum! And it's topical, cos of the huge rise in so called blended families of modern times, Vintage.  
Yes you can call them step-siblings as a courtesy title, if you like.
But in truth there are more degrees of separation between jenny & paul, than the usual meaning of 'stepsiblings'

For pedantic accuracy, they are actually 'stepsiblings to each others' stepsiblings'.  Smile

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Eg, like the wives of Prince William & Harry …... 
..... I've sometimes seen Kate & Meghan described as sisters in law.
But strictly speaking, they are not.  

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:56 pm

From people I've already asked is that there is no legal relationship, I'd like to think there was but I think not. I've tried working it out on paper and if you consider each marriage partner becomes a step parent to all the other children bar their own, Jenny and Paul would be step siblings .
Maybe Quill will know for sure. Thanks for your answers. I already have a complicated family from generations back.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Its the sort of poser where I would need a pen, paper, time and a clear head to try to fathom. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Syl wrote:Its the sort of poser where I would need a pen, paper, time and a clear head

to try to fathom. Laughing

You could even try it with some real life examples. Assume there is something big at stake - like a multimillion pounds inheritance. 

Eg  Rupert Murdoch who has several ex-wives & kids. Wendy Deng gave him 2 more kids. Latest wife Jerry Hall has several offsprings  .....and Jerry was married to Mick Jagger who has many offsprings from many women … & so it goes on.

Quirks of fate & legal loopholes could see stepkids inherit more from a man's will than his biological ones. A good lawyer helps! Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Laws of intestate succession cover most of those. Might be a few lawsuits...but, anyway, I'm sure ol' Rupert has got it covered.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down