NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener

+2
Vintage
eddie
6 posters

Go down

An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener Empty An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:43 pm

To help make a deaf 6-year-old feel welcomed, an entire elementary school learned sign language.

An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener 943t5-school-learns-sign-language-for-deaf-student-1

Morey Belanger is Dayton Consolidated School's first deaf student.

So, the school installed a hearing assistive system and implemented extra teacher training to incorporate sign language into every classroom. Sign language posters line the walls of hallways, and students have learned how to sign more than 20 words.
Many of the teachers began to learn sign language on their free time.

"Morey helped all of them to learn the alphabet," Principal Kimberly Sampietro told ABC News. "The kids have just really embraced her. They look up to her, they want her around, and they want to partner with her."

To celebrate the students' hard work, the school invited a real-life princess who knows ASL to come speak to students.

"We wanted to show our students that this isn't something they can only speak with Morey," said Sampietro. "We wanted to show them that signing happens in all kinds of settings."
When Cinderella came to sing to the entire school, Morey helped with the singing and the signing.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/3340/An-Entire-School-Learned-Sign-Language-To-Welcome-A-Deaf-Kindergartener

Video on link

Back to top Go down

An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener Empty Re: An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener

Post by eddie Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Many children over here learn Makaton, a child-friendly version of BSL. It’s a great thing to learn.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener Empty Re: An Entire School Learned Sign Language To Welcome A Deaf Kindergartener

Post by Vintage Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 pm

It should be taught in all primary schools I think.
I have learned the alphabet in sign and I did start to learn some signing but never did get far with that but if you have long enough I can spell it out.
I really must try again.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Growing up in Berkeley, it was not mandatory, but most of the population did learn it.  In addition to the University, Berkeley was the home of the California School for the Deaf and Blind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_School_for_the_Blind

Many high school students signed up for internships there.  They acquired the ability to sign, and it spread to all of the students.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 am

How wonderful of that school to be so proactive and welcoming.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:45 am

Smile

I've heard of classes of school kids around here learning Auslan when they've had deaf kids joining them.

But I wouldn't know if any schools have done so on a school-wide basis..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 am

My daughter learned basic signing as a junior leader for a deaf Brownie.
She then did it as a university module for her degree.
She is now mentoring a deaf year 12 during a pre uni event..

Did you know in England there are regional signing 'accents?
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Andy wrote:My daughter learned basic signing as a junior leader for a deaf Brownie.
She then did it as a university module for her degree.
She is now mentoring a deaf year 12 during a pre uni event..

Did you know in England there are regional signing 'accents?

Regarding your last sentence, yes I knew that. I learned BSL for two years and every teacher had a slightly different sign for different things - not the “big” stuff, but small things like town names and things like “post office”. There are about five different signs for post office, for example.

American signing is completely different to English signing too. In the U.S they sign mostly using one had whereas we use two.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down