NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced

+6
nicko
Original Quill
Syl
Tommy Monk
Andy
Ben Reilly
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced Empty As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm

We're not so bothered about out-of-wedlock pregnancies or menstruation anymore, but new taboos are seen emerging: Not voting, overusing water and letting kids have too much screen time are among them.

https://www.ozy.com/opinion/new-taboos/92771

Are there any taboos we shouldn't have gotten rid of? Or do we need other new ones?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced Empty Re: As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced

Post by Andy Sat May 18, 2019 9:19 pm

The belief that the far right, or the rather more fluffy name, the popularist movement are inherently dangerous to world peace.
That belief is being hidden.

Last edited by Andy on Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced Empty Re: As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Andy wrote:The belief that the far right, or the rather more fluffy name, the popularist movement are inherently dangerous to world peace.

It's sort of like reverse PC, isn't it? But could you go more into the world peace thing?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Andy wrote:The belief that the far right, or the rather more fluffy name, the popularist movement are inherently dangerous to world peace.

Am confused Andy.

You want to make it taboo, that the belief that the Far right is inherantly dangereous to world peace?

Is that not defending the Far right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 18, 2019 9:27 pm

phildidge wrote:

Am confused Andy.

You want to make it taboo, that the belief that the Far right is inherantly dangereous to world peace?

I thought he just meant that's an emerging new taboo, but I may have misunderstood.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Am confused Andy.

I thought he just meant that's an emerging new taboo, but I may have misunderstood.

This is about taboo's right?

Why say the "belief" that the far right is inherantly dangereus is taboo to say.

That is how I read that

Anyway, nothing should be taboo to talk about

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 18, 2019 9:32 pm

I have clarified my post.  The belief that the far right are evil is  being suppressed by those who have adopted a friendlier, more acceptable name , the populariist movement, to hide the real danger.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Andy wrote:I have clarified my post.  The belief that the far right are evil is  being suppressed by those who have adopted a friendlier, more acceptable name , the populariist movement, to hide the real danger.

Thanks for clarifying Andy. Though I dont think it should be hidden, but actually talked about

To me, you reason against poor ideas, not ignore them or label them taboo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 pm

In America, there's still a pretty strong taboo against swearing in front of children. I don't see that nearly as much in England, though I imagine some people still think it's really bad to do that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm

But, you see everyone who doesn't subscribe exactly to your views as being 'far right'...!

You class many people as being 'popilulist', but you then class 'populist' as also bring 'far right'...!

You class Brexit voters as being 'anti immigrant racist xenophobes' etc, which are things that you also consider to be 'far right' traits...!

I support secular democracy, the complete control of which to be returned to the British people through our national parliament via our democratically elected representatives by us leaving the EU, I want and end to free movement and return to a controlled immigration system where we have a points based system based on skills and our national needs, I also want removal of foreign criminals and tightening up of asylum system... I support the NHS and a welfare system, I want a well funded and less bureaucratic and less politically correct police force, I support our armed services of course, and I also want a trimming down of govt and local govt bureaucracy and huge reduction in wasteful spending on non govt organisations and pet projects and fake charities etc... resulting in more money for our public services and lower taxes for all...!

I also think that our justice system is too soft on crime, and I think we should build more prisons and change the way the whole system works...

Sensible ideas and proposals, you might think...?

But to Andy... I AM A FAR RIGHT NAZI!!!

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Some things should obviously remain taboo, if it breaks the law that's a good indication of what should be taboo in society ...but I think discussing any taboo's should never be taboo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Syl wrote:Some things should obviously remain taboo, if it breaks the law that's a good indication of what should be taboo in society ...but I think discussing any taboo's should never be taboo.

Even breaking laws can be a sign that things must change. Remember when desecrating the flag was against the law? Now, its sewn into the seat of jeans worn by every teenager.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 pm

I just gave Tommy a Green, anyone think I'm wrong ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm

As far as can see, there are some people who are died in the wool left or right as the case may be, then there are people who tend to the left but agree with some right ideas and some people who are definitely right but agree with some left ideas. Then we have people in the centre who can lean right or left depending on the issue to me these are the people who are the most likely to make a good decision because they think about the issue neutrally not from a particular political ideological starting point.
No Nicko I don't think you were wrong there.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Some things should obviously remain taboo, if it breaks the law that's a good indication of what should be taboo in society ...but I think discussing any taboo's should never be taboo.

Even breaking laws can be a sign that things must change.  Remember when desecrating the flag was against the law?  Now, its sewn into the seat of jeans worn by every teenager.
That's true Quill, and laws can and do change as society evolves which is why talking openly about taboo subjects should always be encouraged.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 26, 2019 12:08 am

I don’t like taboo subjects. I don’t really have any tbh.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 am

Vintage wrote:As far as  can see, there are some people who are died in the wool left or right as the case may be, then there are people who tend to the left but agree with some right ideas and some people who are definitely right but agree with some left ideas. Then we have people in the centre who can lean right or left depending on the issue to me these are the people who are the most likely to make a good decision because they think about the issue neutrally not from a particular political ideological starting point.

I have looked a lot into political philosophy, and always ended up on the left because I think the heart and soul of lefty thinking is simply that our societies should be organized in whichever way results in the best quality of life for the most people.

I don't think it's moral for some people to lavish in more wealth than they could ever spend while others live short, miserable lives, simply because they were born in the wrong place, or to the wrong parents, or without the ability to become educated or skilled, etc.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 26, 2019 12:52 am

eddie wrote:I don’t like taboo subjects. I don’t really have any tbh.
I dont either, I cant think of any subject I wouldn't talk about if it was being discussed seriously.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:I don’t like taboo subjects. I don’t really have any tbh.
I dont either, I cant think of any subject I wouldn't talk about if it was being discussed seriously.

Green from me because I agree and you’re also very pretty. As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 1942856362
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 26, 2019 1:19 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Green from me because I agree and you’re also very pretty. As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 1942856362
Hahaha As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 2385359624  and.so are you.x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 26, 2019 1:20 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Hahaha As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 2385359624  and.so are you.x

As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 1069003512
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun May 26, 2019 1:23 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Vintage wrote:As far as  can see, there are some people who are died in the wool left or right as the case may be, then there are people who tend to the left but agree with some right ideas and some people who are definitely right but agree with some left ideas. Then we have people in the centre who can lean right or left depending on the issue to me these are the people who are the most likely to make a good decision because they think about the issue neutrally not from a particular political ideological starting point.

I have looked a lot into political philosophy, and always ended up on the left because I think the heart and soul of lefty thinking is simply that our societies should be organized in whichever way results in the best quality of life for the most people.

Everyone can claim to agree with your (good intentioned but incredibly vague and wooly) statement above...

Can you elaborate a bit...?

I don't think it's moral for some people to lavish in more wealth than they could ever spend while others live short, miserable lives, simply because they were born in the wrong place, or to the wrong parents, or without the ability to become educated or skilled, etc.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun May 26, 2019 1:31 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Everyone can claim to agree with your (good intentioned but incredibly vague and wooly) statement above...

Can you elaborate a bit...?

Actually, not everybody can claim to agree with my statement.

If you believe some people are born better than others, you may very well believe that those people inherently deserve a better life than their inferiors.

If you believe everyone should "know their place," you don't want happiness for those who defy societal expectations about them.

If you insist upon creating rules regulating behavior that isn't harmful but which you find offensive in some way -- homosexuality immediately springs to mind -- you're again favoring happiness for some, but not others.

I think that is the real division between what I call the true left and the true right -- the left believes in a system that makes everyone as happy as is possible, while the right believes in elevating some and keeping others underfoot.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 am

“SOME people on the right”
Then your last paragraph is fair.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

If you believe some people are born better than others, you may very well believe that those people inherently deserve a better life than their inferiors.

We are all born, and we are all different... we are all going to have our own lives... and they are always going to be different too...

If you believe everyone should "know their place," you don't want happiness for those who defy societal expectations about them.

I believe that everyone should HAVE A PLACE... and happiness is where you find it...!

If you insist upon creating rules regulating behavior that isn't harmful but which you find offensive in some way -- homosexuality immediately springs to mind -- you're again favoring happiness for some, but not others.

There are countless rules in place that are regulating behaviour etc... and plenty of behaviours that you and most others would think offensive and should have rules against, while not being harmful etc...

And I'm not trying to regulate homosexuality... so you are just waffling bollocks again here...!

I think that is the real division between what I call the true left and the true right -- the left believes in a system that makes everyone as happy as is possible, while the right believes in elevating some and keeping others underfoot.

The left believe in a fantasy utopia system that makes only the left happy... while they also believe in elevating some (that THEY choose as being deserving)... while keeping others (of THEIR choosing) underfoot...!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun May 26, 2019 12:49 pm

nicko wrote:I just gave Tommy a Green,  anyone think I'm wrong ?

Thanks for the green!

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

But, you see everyone who doesn't subscribe exactly to your views as being 'far right'...!

You class many people as being 'popilulist', but you then class 'populist' as also bring 'far right'...!

You class Brexit voters as being 'anti immigrant racist xenophobes' etc, which are things that you also consider to be 'far right' traits...!

I support secular democracy, the complete control of which to be returned to the British people through our national parliament via our democratically elected representatives by us leaving the EU, I want and end to free movement and return to a controlled immigration system where we have a points based system based on skills and our national needs, I also want removal of foreign criminals and tightening up of asylum system... I support the NHS and a welfare system, I want a well funded and less bureaucratic and less politically correct police force, I support our armed services of course, and I also want a trimming down of govt and local govt bureaucracy and huge reduction in wasteful spending on non govt organisations and pet projects and fake charities etc... resulting in more money for our public services and lower taxes for all...!

I also think that our justice system is too soft on crime, and I think we should build more prisons and change the way the whole system works...

lol!

For syl...

To normal people, I sound like a bit of a socialist and quite sensible, in my above post...

While, to the rabid left wing lunatics... like Andy... the above = far right/nazi...!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 am

I must be pretty normal because I cant see much wrong with your post.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri May 31, 2019 6:31 am

Nether can I !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Tommy said:

Can anyone see anything wrong with any of that?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

We are all born, and we are all different... we are all going to have our own lives... and they are always going to be different too...

I believe that everyone should HAVE A PLACE... and happiness is where you find it...!

There are countless rules in place that are regulating behaviour etc... and plenty of behaviours that you and most others would think offensive and should have rules against, while not being harmful etc...

And I'm not trying to regulate homosexuality... so you are just waffling bollocks again here...!

The left believe in a fantasy utopia system that makes only the left happy... while they also believe in elevating some (that THEY choose as being deserving)... while keeping others (of THEIR choosing) underfoot...!!!

No, as a lefty, I believe in a society that is compassionate to all, provides opportunity and a safety net for all, protects those who lack the power to protect themselves, and allows for individuals to pursue their own notion of happiness, so long as they're not victimizing anyone.

That's not a utopia, and it elevates everyone while oppressing no-one.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 pm

eddie wrote:Tommy said:

Anyone?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:27 pm

eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:Tommy said:

Anyone?

I can Twisted Evil

Mostly minor quibbles, but:

* I support free movement in general, so I would want to know what Tommy means by "controlled immigration"

* I don't think criminals should be removed from incarceration in the UK (or the U.S., for that matter) to other countries. I think it is a duty of any nation to enforce its laws, so if you allowed someone to come into your country and they committed a crime, you should take responsibility for policing your own jurisdiction

* After hearing stories of black kids dragged into police vans and beaten for no reason in London, I would want to know more about what Tommy means by a less PC police force

* I'd want to know more about what government spending Tommy considers wasteful
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:04 pm

1. End to free movement and tighter controls and checks on people applying to immigrate into UK... points based system put in place too, which is selective on skills.

2. I'm talking about removal of foreign criminals who have managed to slip into the country, and removal of those who have committed serious crime here in UK but only after they have served their prison time here first.
Plus... if point 1 was enforced properly then there would be much less criminals arriving in the first place!

3. It was PC policing that allowed gangs of Pakistani Muslim child rapists to carry on with impunity here in UK for over a decade!
I want our police to concentrate less on diversity targets and numbers etc, and be freed up from bureaucracy to be able to do their job properly!

4. I have already said... stick to funding public services and end funding of quangos, think tanks, fake charities and pet projects.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 pm

If they are already criminals in their original country they should have them back.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:47 pm

12.7% of the QUALIFIED NHS staff are non British.
Many will return home. Stats from Oct 2018.
What plans are there to recruit replacements?
How can you both support Brexit and Farage, yet at the same time demand a nationalised NHS, when Farage has already vowed to replace it with an insurance based system. Which will benefit his insurance broking sponsor, Aaron Banks.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:00 pm

From my earlier post...

"...I also want a trimming down of govt and local govt bureaucracy and huge reduction in wasteful spending on non govt organisations and pet projects and fake charities etc... resulting in more money for our public services and lower taxes for all...!"

Andy... it is EU rules that force the opening up of taxpayer funded public services to be bid for contracts to run large swathes of them!!!

Once we leave the EU... we can vote for governments that keep public services in the public sector!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Looks like Andy has run away... again...!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Still no reply from run away Andy...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

Most of those laws are in force already.
Foreign criminals are already removed - except for very minor peccadiloes.
Asylum laws are already tight.
The points based system of importing skills is in operation.

And why on earth do you want non govt charities to be abolished? This is totalitarian wickedness on your part, TM.  No - I mean..... if you believe in personal freedom, why would  you want to stop people volunteering to raise money for charity in their spare time, thru sponsored walks, crowd funding, etc. 

If you are looking to make savings, why don't you save on the astronomical amounts of funding the MOD gets which totally dwarfs the amounts charities get? 
Simply because you are not fond of the sort of people in society who would need charity in the first place.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

A small percentage of foreign criminals and bogus asylum seekers are removed.

And I never said I wanted any charities banned... you obviously don't understand what I said...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 pm

I am glad you have finally admitted you are a far right Nazi.
It's what we knew all along
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Andy wrote:I am glad you have finally admitted you are a far right Nazi.
It's what we knew all along

Please explain what it is that I said, that you think is a definition of "far right nazi"...!!!???

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:A small percentage of foreign criminals and bogus asylum seekers are removed.

And I never said I wanted any charities banned... 
you obviously don't understand what I said...!

Strange how you have to keep clarifying yourself endlessly, and saying some posters do not 'understand' you.
On the contrary, I think some of us *understand* you only too well.

Why do you find it necessary to mention charities at all?????  As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 2190311264 
You justify it by saying only fake charities should be targeted.
But once again, I put it to you that there is already provision within the current laws to deal with fake charities.
It is already a serious crime to set up bogus charities, so we don't have to leave the EU in order to be able to deal them.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:32 pm

You want to remain in the eu ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Jules wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:A small percentage of foreign criminals and bogus asylum seekers are removed.

And I never said I wanted any charities banned... 
you obviously don't understand what I said...!

Strange how you have to keep clarifying yourself endlessly, and saying some posters do not 'understand' you.

Why do you find it necessary to mention charities at all?????  As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 2190311264 
But once again, I put it to you that there is already provision within the current laws to deal with fake charities.
It is already a serious crime to set up bogus charities, so we don't have to leave the EU in order to be able to deal them.

What do you mean by "we" here...!!!???

Thought you were in Canada/USA...!!!???

So... please explain how the UK leaving the EU includes you... as in "we"...!!!???

lol!

And I will clarify my earlier point on "fake charities"... what I mean by this is so called "charities" who aren't really running on monies raised by voluntary donations from willing individuals and/or monies raised through other means of fundraising activities that generate voluntary donations and legitimate revenue streams...

I'm talking about those who are hijacking huge sums of taxpayer funds that are handed to them by govt and councils, without any consent of the taxpayers themselves!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Jules wrote:

What do you mean by "we" here...!!!???

Thought you were in Canada/USA...!!!???

So... please explain how the UK leaving the EU includes you... as in "we"...!!!???

lol!

And I will clarify my earlier point on "fake charities"... what I mean by this is so called "charities" who aren't really running on monies raised by voluntary donations from willing individuals and/or monies raised through other means of fundraising activities that generate voluntary donations and legitimate revenue streams...

I'm talking about those who are hijacking huge sums of taxpayer funds that are handed to them by govt and councils, without any consent of the taxpayers themselves!!!

A picture paaints a thousand words. Razz
As old taboos fade, new ones are embraced 15602910

Just to point out though, Jules is English living in England Tommy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 pm

I seem to remember that jules has posted that she is in canada/USA...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

I seem to remember that jules has posted that she is in canada/USA...

Nope, I never said that. Ever!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Andy wrote:I have clarified my post.  The belief that the far right are evil is  being suppressed by those who have adopted a friendlier, more acceptable name , the populariist movement, to hide the real danger.
anti semites are evil, anyone who votes for the current labour party is an antisemite, therefore they are evil
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next