NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats

+6
Raggamuffin
nicko
Andy
Syl
Fred Moletrousers
Eilzel
10 posters

Go down

Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats Empty Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 3:22 am

Voters punished the two main parties over Brexit as the Conservatives and Labour both suffered early losses in the English local council elections.

The Conservatives had been expecting a a tough night amid frustration at Theresa May's failure to take Britain out of the EU as planned.

But Labour also struggled, losing seats amid confusion among voters over the party's stance on Brexit.

In contrast the Liberal Democrats were on course for a strong performance, with predictions it could make as many as 500 gains, while the Greens and Ukip were also picking up seats.

By 3am, the Conservatives had lost 49 seats and Labour was down 29, while the Lib Dems were up 45, the Greens had gained 11 and Ukip four.

With some analysts predicting Tory overall loses of 800 seats or more, Brexit Minister James Cleverly said he would be "happy" if they could be held to 500.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/03/local-elections-2019-results-councils-tory-party-loss/

Guess this shows that people think the Tories and Labour are useless

Back to top Go down

Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats Empty Re: Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats

Post by Eilzel Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 am

Between these and the EU votes the Conservatives are facing humiliation.

Labour deserve to suffer too.

The surprising turn out for LDs, Greens and Independents could suggest a lot of support for Brexit opposing parties too. Though it could also just be a way of slapping the big two into action.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats Empty Re: Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 am

Eilzel wrote:Between these and the EU votes the Conservatives are facing humiliation.

Labour deserve to suffer too.

The surprising turn out for LDs, Greens and Independents could suggest a lot of support for Brexit opposing parties too. Though it could also just be a way of slapping the big two into action.

My attitude towards the two main parties now is "a plague on both your houses."

I voted for the independent candidate in my local council elections.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am

A bit of a shock??

Yeah if you live in a leftwing echo chamber.

Too bad farages Brexit party wasn't operational in time for this

They would have been the big winners

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am

The greens probably enjoyed a surged from that stupid protest in london

Libdems have their usual rabble who vote for them and probably gained some from labour and tories becasue they are useless parties who have been exposed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:A bit of a shock??

Yeah if you live in a leftwing echo chamber.

Too bad farages Brexit party wasn't operational in time for this

They would have been the big winners

Well of course its a shock that the Libs won so many seats at the cost of the Tories and labour

The LIbs have been dead in the water since they got into bed with the Tories

Even more surprising is the amount of seats the greens gained

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 03, 2019 4:38 pm

The green candidate got in here....first time ever. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Syl wrote:The green candidate got in here....first time ever. cheers

Does that mean no more central heating for you guys???

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:The green candidate got in here....first time ever. cheers

Baby steps Smelly....baby steps.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

You better set it lower to offset my central heating which will be cranked all the way up

The planet thanks you for your sacrifice

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

You better set it lower to offset my central heating which will be cranked all the way up

I'm sure your kids and grandkids wont thank you though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

I'm sure your kids and grandkids wont thank you though.

Well apparently the planet is going to explode............. Because climate change, so that's the ungrateful children and grandchildren problem solved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Don't faint, I voted Conservative.
It was a LOCAL, council election, and I used my head to make the massive distinction between local and national politics.
Our 2 local Conservative councillors are doing a great campaigning job  against a  development of a new 1200 house estate where there is a total lack of infrastructure, roads, schools, doctors, shops and hospitals.
I will vote Labour or Lib Dems in the European elections
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 am

Andy wrote:Don't faint, I voted Conservative.
It was a LOCAL, council election, and I used my head to make the massive distinction between local and national politics.
Our 2 local Conservative councillors are doing a great campaigning job  against a  development of a new 1200 house estate where there is a total lack of infrastructure, roads, schools, doctors, shops and hospitals.

Very fair of you that, Andy Smile

I'm glad the Liberals have shown they aren't completely out in the wilderness yet. Might even have an opportunity to prove themselves credible once again - one day Neutral
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 am

Liberal vote is just a protest vote. At a General Election they'll be ignored !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 04, 2019 5:36 am

nicko wrote:Liberal vote is just a protest vote.   At a General Election they'll be ignored !

A bit like UKIP and eventually this new 'Brexit Party' then Wink

At least the Liberals have tasted power in the last decade. And with Labour and Conservative loathed by increasing numbers I think smaller parties will do much better in future GEs.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat May 04, 2019 8:33 am

Crazy isn't it? I see that Uttlesford District Council has been taken over by a local residents group for much the same reason.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat May 04, 2019 9:04 am

Basketball

Whoever wins your next national election,  it looks more and more like Britain's next guvm'nt will again be a 'coalition'  to allow either side to govern  ?!?

Giving more influence to "horse trading" from the minor/'cross bench' parties..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 04, 2019 9:16 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Basketball

Whoever wins your next national election,  it looks more and more like Britain's next guvm'nt will again be a 'coalition'  to allow either side to govern  ?!?

Giving more influence to "horse trading" from the minor/'cross bench' parties..

Some may not like it. They better get use to the idea Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat May 04, 2019 9:47 am

You might find Brexit does better than expected !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Tactical voting is 100% valid, kid. flower  Gotta box clever. Cool
And local politics is different to the national one, correct.
You have a good heart, Andy, so you cannot do wrong in my eyes.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Wasn't it great to see the racist UKIP part getting honked. Batten's endorsement of Tommy Yaxley Lennon Robinson sure worked in their favour.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 04, 2019 11:10 pm

So you vote Tory in local election, because they are against the building of new homes that are needed for people in your area... but you vote labour in national elections and are pro EU/free movement/mass immigration etc, which is responsible for the shortage of housing, and the very cause of the plans to build all this new housing, that you are against the building of...!!!???

WTF!!!???

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun May 05, 2019 5:50 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

So you vote Tory in local election, because they are against the building of new homes that are needed for people in your area... but you vote labour in national elections and are pro EU/free movement/mass immigration etc, which is responsible for the shortage of housing, and the very cause of the plans to build all this new housing, that you are against the building of...!!!???

WTF!!!???

Rolling Eyes

More obfuscation and outright bullshit from poor clueless little Tommy...

The big problems with a lot of those new privately-funded developers housing estates/ 'sub-divisions' over there are pretty much the same as in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand  :

First off, they pander to the top half of the market  --  meaning no new housing for the bottom half,  where the great bulk of homelessness, housing unaffordabilty, and "mortgage stress" is to be found..

And secondly, like in Andy's example, many of these new housing estates are being set up as new 'satellite' suburbs,  with no transport, services or infrastructure being allowed for.

Once again Tommy shoots himself in the foot, more concerned with attacking his foes rather than looking at what they actually said..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am

Monkey brain yet again putting foot in mouth with no.local knowledge.
The proposed houses will NOT be affordable to locals.
They are NOT for people in the area.
They will be for London commuters and London  residents looking for a cheaper alternative.
There are insufficient roads.
There are too few schools.
Insufficient doctors in the area.
Hospital Is already in crisis.
No proposed shops.
Traffic is already gridlocked locally.
Wildlife is threatened.
The area cannot sustain another 5000 people, 2500 cars, 3000 children.
That is why EVERY party locally, including the elected. council, are voting it down.
The only person.to benefit would be the 'farmer'/landowner who lives 150 miles away.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am

I have nothing against new towns being built if they're proper towns with shops, doctors, leisure facilities, proper access, etc. I don't see the point of just building a load of new houses either in the middle of nowhere or pretty much joined on to an existing town.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 am

Greenie from me, Raggs.
You 'get'  it as well.
The proposed 1200 houses would be built on the only green lung in the area, which is a designated area of outstanding natural beauty.

Barely 25 miles away, they are currently building a new town, Ebbsfleet Garden City, which is going to be 28000 houses, an international.railway station and all the shops ,etc that a new town requires.
When completed, it will be magnificent.

https://ebbsfleetdc.org.uk
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun May 05, 2019 10:45 am

Andy wrote:Monkey brain yet again putting foot in mouth with no.local knowledge.
The proposed houses will NOT be affordable to locals.
They are NOT for people in the area.
They will be for London commuters and London  residents looking for a cheaper alternative.
There are insufficient roads.
There are too few schools.
Insufficient doctors in the area.
Hospital Is already in crisis.
No proposed shops.
Traffic is already gridlocked locally.
Wildlife is threatened.
The area cannot sustain another 5000 people, 2500 cars, 3000 children.
That is why EVERY party locally, including the elected. council, are voting it down.
The only person.to benefit would be the 'farmer'/landowner who lives 150 miles away.

London is full of foreigners through the mass immigration that you support... which is why housing is so expensive in London...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 05, 2019 12:52 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:London is full of foreigners through the mass immigration that you support... which is why housing is so expensive in London...

Nonsense. New York and San Francisco are more expensive, and they're not presently immigrant-loaded.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun May 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Bit of a shock, Both Labour and Tories lose seats in elections and the Lib Dems Gain seats 1399249160

The most expensive, and least affordable, residential real estate in the world, for 2018 was listed as

1. Hong Kong
2. Sydney
3. Vancouver
4. Auckland

Ahead of New York, LA, San Francisco...
While Shanghai and Moscow are also in there with London..

If Tommy's frequent bulldust complaints about imagined "immigration" problems had any credence, than London, Paris and Berlin would have topped the list !
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 05, 2019 1:45 pm

wolf wrote:Ahead of New York, LA, San Francisco...
While Shanghai and Moscow are also in there with London..

Among those you mention, wolf, I can only speak to New York, LA, San Francisco...all places I have lived. New York and LA, I understand. Manhattan is the product of the Otis Elevator Co. Going vertical packed a lot more people in.

LA...there's no excuse for. It is so spread out...and there's plenty of room still to grow. Not only is the LA basin not filled, but there is still room in the west Valley and in the high desert country to the east.

But SF is land-locked, on a peninsula, and is getting pretty dense. They are starting to go vertical like Manhattan, but that's iffy in earthquake country.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun May 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Arrow

There's an interesting item floating around on YouTube on why real estate prices are so high in Auckland...

One of the factors is that Auckland is a coastal city, with around half the city's municipal area being water,  allied with a high demand from people wanting to live and work within the city limits..

Other major cities with similar conditions include Sydney, Melbourne, Vancouver, Seattle, Hong Kong/Macau..

And San Francisco.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down