NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure

5 posters

Go down

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure Empty Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure _106329445_hi053349608

Brunei should be "chucked out" of the Commonwealth if it does not revoke its anti-LGBT laws, shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry has said.

The South-East Asian nation introduced strict Islamic laws this week that make gay sex punishable by stoning to death.

Dozens of protesters chanted "shame on you" outside the Brunei-owned Dorchester hotel in London on Saturday.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he had expressed "deep UK opposition" to the new laws to Brunei's government.

But the Foreign Office said "threatening to kick countries out of the Commonwealth" was not the "best way" to encourage Brunei to uphold its human rights obligations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47840686

Repeat after me, NewsFix right-wingers -- the fact that the left stands against discrimination against Muslims does not mean that the left thinks Muslims are always right. Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure Empty Re: Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure

Post by Vintage Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Personally at first thought I would throw them out but then you wouldn't have any leaverage. the boycott of hotels and anything Brunei is a good idea though I fully support it, even though I don't stay at hotels.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure Empty Re: Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Vintage wrote:Personally at first thought I would throw them out but then you wouldn't have any leaverage. the boycott of hotels and anything Brunei is a good idea though I fully support it, even though I don't stay at hotels.

That's a good point, though I don't know how much being in the Commonwealth means to the government of Brunei, to be fair.

Boycotting whatever they're trying to sell would probably work.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:08 am

Am against boycotts to nations, as you effect the entire people of that nation. Based on the acts of the Sultan and his cronies.

Agree with kicking out of the Commonwealth and targetting boycotts of the Sultans properties and buisnesses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:15 am

Throw them out of the Commonwealth (but let’s face it, other Commonwealth countries’ human rights record stink to high heaven and they’re still in so I highly doubt it would happen), but yes boycotting hotels and other businesses owned by them or where they have an interest. Thank goodness this is generating a lot of protests.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure 1399249160

The Sultan of Brunei is a fuckwit;  as well as a Sharia dictator..

His father was considered one of the wealthiest men in the world in the 1970s and 80s;  because of their oil exports..

In the 1990s a large portion of the former Sultan's family fortune was handed to his sons and nephews (one of whom alone subsequently lost $12 billion$ in shonky investments..).

While they are still billionaires, their family fortune is probably only half of what it was 30 years ago.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Labour says kick Brunei out of the Commonwealth over new Islamic anti-gay laws; Conservatives demure 1399249160

The Sultan of Brunei is a fuckwit;  as well as a Sharia dictator..

His father was considered one of the wealthiest men in the world in the 1970s and 80s;  because of their oil exports..

In the 1990s a large portion of the former Sultan's family fortune was handed to his sons and nephews (one of whom alone subsequently lost $12 billion$ in shonky investments..).

While they are still billionaires, their family fortune is probably only half of what it was 30 years ago.

I rather fancy myself in his rather fetching suit and hat, though. Presiding at our local parish council in such a regal manner appeals to my sense of the ridiculous.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Boycotts can focus the attention of the people of the particular nation and can lead to protests and changes of direction by their governments - sometimes anyway if they aren't to cowed by the regime.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down