NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sport involving animals

5 posters

Go down

Sport involving animals Empty Sport involving animals

Post by Vintage Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:09 pm

There were 'only' three equine fatalities at Cheltenham this year. Is this really acceptable in this day and age? Should animals be dying in a sport to amuse and excite people and of course make money out of it in prize money, winning bets and of course in the case of the three horses put down insurance pay offs.  How different it would be if the jockeys of fallen horses were put down at the same time or at least if there were human races where participants could be so badly injured they had to be euthanised.  Horse don't normally jump unless they have to, all that weight on such graceful legs, a slight misjudgement and its dead, neither do they normally run until their lungs and/or, nasal blood vessels haemorrhage. The only thing worse than racing is show jumping.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sport involving animals Empty Re: Sport involving animals

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Vintage wrote:There were 'only' three equine fatalities at Cheltenham this year. Is this really acceptable in this day and age? Should animals be dying in a sport to amuse and excite people and of course make money out of it in prize money, winning bets and of course in the case of the three horses put down insurance pay offs.  How different it would be if the jockeys of fallen horses were put down at the same time or at least if there were human races where participants could be so badly injured they had to be euthanised.  Horse don't normally jump unless they have to, all that weight on such graceful legs, a slight misjudgement and its dead, neither do they normally run until their lungs and/or, nasal blood vessels haemorrhage. The only thing worse than racing is show jumping.

Okay, how well do you think these horses would be cared for if not for the many sports that use horses?

Nobody intends for the horses to die Vintage and many jockeys love the horses they ride and care for them very much

I fail to see how where accidents happen, that you think the Jockeys should also be put down. Jockeys have also died from within this sport and nobody called for their horse to be put down when that happen, did they? If the horses did not have any joy or want to do this, they simple would refuse the jump or even race

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Oh and by the way, horse meat is delicious. Far healthier that beef.

This is what happens when it comes to animals. Peopple never care actually about them, when they tuck into eating meat. They only become attached based on how they warm to certain animals. I mean if chickens and Turkey's were not as perceived to ugly as they are. People would also feel as you do here with horses Vintage

Every single person has a pet peeve with certain species. Whether that be spiders, moths, etc. People come more to love the beauty of an animal. Which then comes to make them humanise that animal and find empathy for them

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 pm

the problem as didge alludes to
is that without horse sports there wouldn't be domestic horses.
a horse is 10 times the cost in maintenance of a quadbike and not as effective or reliable. a good horse can be over 100 times the cost of a top of the line quadbike.

More regulation of horse sports, more safety measures for the horses, etc is definitely something that should be happening.

Steeple Racing should be banned, the combination of racing and jumping is too high risk.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:54 am

Vintage wrote:There were 'only' three equine fatalities at Cheltenham this year. Is this really acceptable in this day and age? Should animals be dying in a sport to amuse and excite people and of course make money out of it in prize money, winning bets and of course in the case of the three horses put down insurance pay offs.  How different it would be if the jockeys of fallen horses were put down at the same time or at least if there were human races where participants could be so badly injured they had to be euthanised.  Horse don't normally jump unless they have to, all that weight on such graceful legs, a slight misjudgement and its dead, neither do they normally run until their lungs and/or, nasal blood vessels haemorrhage. The only thing worse than racing is show jumping.

I think horse racing is cruel,  yes.   I've seen footage of horses snapping legs, and it's awful.   They don't have the density of bone to take the jumps and riders.   And once they're used up, they go for dog meat.   They're pretty much useless as pets, as they're invariably damaged both physically and emotionally.   I had a friend who owned a retired racehorse called Frankie.   He was a leggy chestnut and lovely in nature but so highly strung and nervous he used to do injuries to himself and was always ill.   She couldn't ride him.   Then one day he just died.

I grew up around horses and I've been riding since I was eight. Horses will, believe it or not, bend over backwards to willingly do what humans want them to. With the right bonding, they'll be a loyal as a dog. Think back to how many war horses fought and died in the most terrible battles, brave and courageous and willing to gallop into the fray as their riders. Horses do this. They love to please once you have that bond. And they will do all you ask, so long as they trust you.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 am

Well said H/T !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

I don't bet on the Grand National or anything like that on the grounds that it's cruel.

On a positive note, a huntsman has been convicted of assault and illegally hunting with dogs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-47560101

Ammat only got a fine, but he's now got a criminal record - good.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down