NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ni**er District?

+5
Original Quill
Syl
Ben Reilly
eddie
Maddog
9 posters

Go down

Ni**er District?  Empty Ni**er District?

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Lawmakers and civil rights leaders on Tuesday condemned Harford County Del. Mary Ann Lisanti’s use of a racial slur during an after-hours gathering at an Annapolis bar — and House Speaker Michael Busch stripped her of two leadership assignments.

Lisanti, a Democrat in her second term from Havre de Grace, apologized Tuesday morning to the House Democratic Caucus for using the slur and released a statement asking for forgiveness.

“I deeply apologize to the citizens of my district, people of Maryland, all of my colleagues in the Maryland General Assembly and everyone reading this for my word choice several weeks ago,” Lisanti said. “I am sickened that a word that is not in my vocabulary came out of my mouth. It does not represent my belief system, my life’s work or what is in my heart.”
Lisanti reportedly told a white colleague in late January at Annapolis Cigar that when he campaigned last fall in House District 26 in Prince George’s County on behalf of a candidate, he was knocking on doors in a “n----- district.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-delegate-apology-20190226-story.html

This is because she is a Republ........... No wait. That won't work.

This is because she is from the Sou...........No wait. That won't work either.  

Ni**er District?  2190311264

Last edited by Maddog on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Ni**er District?  Empty Re: Ni**er District?

Post by eddie Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Hmmmm. Just as I always thought. Left or right, they’re all human!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:54 pm

eddie wrote:Hmmmm. Just as I always thought. Left or right, they’re all human!

You dont engage in the righteousness fallacy that is so popular these days.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Maddog wrote:

You dont engage in the righteousness fallacy that is so popular these days.

Well I don’t tend to like gangs or gang mentality and to make a wide-sweeping generalisation about a whole group of people is just really, really stupid.
Plus, I have a hard time knowing exactly what the truth is whenever I hear a story.

I wasn’t there, so I don’t really know...I can only make an educated guess which is always subject to change.

Plus! I don’t always trust articles and some of the media.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

There does seem to be a lot more racism from the right than from the left, at least to me.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:02 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:There does seem to be a lot more racism from the right than from the left, at least to me.

That may well be true. But not always and not in every area or country, perhaps?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Whoever she is, I dont believe for one minute that a word can slip out of your mouth accidentally like that.
She probably uses the word all the time when she isn't in the public eye.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm

eddie wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:There does seem to be a lot more racism from the right than from the left, at least to me.

That may well be true. But not always and not in every area or country, perhaps?

Absolutely not. Joe Biden said some things about Obama that were construed as racist. And it was a Republican operative who exposed David Duke's racism when he ran for office as a Democrat. I'm just saying in general.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Syl wrote:Whoever she is, I dont believe for one minute that a word can slip out of your mouth accidentally like that.
She probably uses the word all the time when she isn't in the public eye.

Exactly. She can’t even own her own flaw, not a person I’d ever respect.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Since the commencement of the Southern Strategy, Republicans own the franchise.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Well I agree that humans are humans, but racists are racists. As they follow a racist ideology or mindset

Both are instilled within people from an early age, but being human does not necessarily make someone racist

As to this coming from the left. Why would that be a surprise?

We have an ongoing problem of antisemitism that stems from the Far left

Most racist people though come from the right.

This person should be rightly condemned and have no sympathy that she has faced consequences for this

As there is no place for hateful racism in today's society and it always needs to be called out

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:11 am

Original Quill wrote:

Since the commencement of the Southern Strategy, Republicans own the franchise.

Mary Ann Lisanti has her own franchise.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:43 pm

There is always more racism and hate from republicans.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Maddog wrote:“I am sickened that a word that is not in my vocabulary came out of my mouth."

if it's not in her vocabulary then how did it come out of her mouth, was it put there by someone else?
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:03 pm

Lurker wrote:There is always more racism and hate from republicans.
So what's the split, 60-40?  70-30?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Maddog wrote:
Lurker wrote:There is always more racism and hate from republicans.
So what's the split, 60-40?  70-30?

Well considering the US was born from diversity and is a diverse nation

Why are Republicans against diversity?

Ni**er District?  Republicans_democrats_racial_demographic_change

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Washington Post wrote:Yes, Rep. Meadows, black people have willingly worked for racists

By Michelle Singletary February 28 at 7:23 AM

There was a moment during Michael Cohen’s testimony about his 10-year employment with Cheeto-Faced Ferret-Wearing Shit Gibbon that made my blood boil.

It wasn’t what the former personal attorney for Trump said but what a white congressman implied, which was that in no way would a black person ever work for a known racist.

It was the most asinine assertion during the whole Cohen spectacle — and that’s saying a lot.

Cohen repeatedly testified during a congressional hearing that he heard Trump make racist comments.

“Mr. Trump is a racist,” Cohen said. “He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a ‘s---hole.’ This was when Barack Obama was president of the United States.”

Cohen said of Trump: “While we were once driving through a struggling neighborhood in Chicago, he commented that only black people could live that way.”

Then there was this: “He told me that black people would never vote for him because they were too stupid.”

To counter these accusations, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) trotted out Lynne Patton, a black woman who worked for the Trump family and Trump’s presidential campaign and is an official with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meadows had Patton stand behind him and said she submitted a comment for the record saying Trump is not racist.

“You made some very demanding comments about the president that Ms. Patton doesn’t agree with,” Meadows said during the hearing. “She says, as a daughter of a man born in Birmingham, Alabama, that there is no way she would work for an individual who was racist.”

Then Meadows said: “I’ve talked to the president more than 300 times. I have not heard a racist comment from the president.”

Alexi McCammond
✔️
@alexi
This exchange with Rep. Meadows and Lynne Patton is absurd. You cannot disprove (alleged) racism by saying a black woman *surely* wouldn't work for someone racist. This is just an absurd argument, regardless of the veracity of Cohen's claims.

It is ridiculous — during Black History Month, no less — for Meadows to assert that a black person wouldn’t willingly work for a racist.

All you have to do is read case files at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Racists generally don’t broadcast their bias.

Academic research papers have looked at workplace discrimination, finding that racism takes all forms — not just in what we hear people say.

“Current research investigating discrimination within the workplace has revealed the disturbing fact that racial ‘microaggressions’ are frequent, pervasive and cause significant harm to both individuals and organizations,” wrote one researcher for Vanguard University of Southern California in a paper about racism in the workplace. “ ‘Microinsults’ are more covert styles of verbal and nonverbal communication that lack sensitivity toward issues faced by minorities. For example, when an African American employee is promoted within an organization, other employees often believe that the promotion was based upon affirmative action rather than intelligence or competency.”

Blacks have worked for racists throughout American history. Many dare not say so for fear of losing their livelihood — or, worse, their lives. They may even stand up for a known racist to further their career.

It’s entirely possible Patton never heard Trump say a single racist thing. But to showcase her as proof the president never said or did anything racist is absurd.

And would Patton have a reason to overlook racist actions by Trump?

“Patton, who revels in the limelight, has drawn criticism for her quick rise in the administration, culminating in a $160,000-a-year post despite having no housing expertise,” Washington Post reporter Tracy Jan wrote.

Read more: Why did a GOP congressman invite this HUD official to stand behind him at the Michael Cohen hearing?

Rep. Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.) was livid that Meadows used Patton as evidence that Trump isn’t racist.

“To prop up one person from our entire race of black people and say that nullifies that is totally insulting,” Lawrence said during the hearing.

I worked with an editor who never said a racist thing to my face, but she was indeed a racist in how she treated me. My interactions with her still haunt me. It was one of the lowest points in my career. I was an intern at my first newspaper job in Baltimore, and there were many days her disparate treatment of me compared with the white interns sent me to the bathroom in tears.

I didn’t quit my internship. I stayed and endured her racist supervision because I needed the job and I didn’t want to lose my scholarship. I was finally removed from her supervision after many complaints. But no action was taken against her. She continued to be promoted and lauded.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/02/28/yes-rep-meadows-black-people-have-willingly-worked-racists/?utm_term=.f7f297f93d02

Why shucks...sum o' my bes frens is niggas...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Washington Post wrote:Yes, Rep. Meadows, black people have willingly worked for racists

By Michelle Singletary February 28 at 7:23 AM

There was a moment during Michael Cohen’s testimony about his 10-year employment with Cheeto-Faced Ferret-Wearing Shit Gibbon that made my blood boil.

It wasn’t what the former personal attorney for Trump said but what a white congressman implied, which was that in no way would a black person ever work for a known racist.

It was the most asinine assertion during the whole Cohen spectacle — and that’s saying a lot.

Cohen repeatedly testified during a congressional hearing that he heard Trump make racist comments.

“Mr. Trump is a racist,” Cohen said. “He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a ‘s---hole.’ This was when Barack Obama was president of the United States.”

Cohen said of Trump: “While we were once driving through a struggling neighborhood in Chicago, he commented that only black people could live that way.”

Then there was this: “He told me that black people would never vote for him because they were too stupid.”

To counter these accusations, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) trotted out Lynne Patton, a black woman who worked for the Trump family and Trump’s presidential campaign and is an official with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Meadows had Patton stand behind him and said she submitted a comment for the record saying Trump is not racist.

“You made some very demanding comments about the president that Ms. Patton doesn’t agree with,” Meadows said during the hearing. “She says, as a daughter of a man born in Birmingham, Alabama, that there is no way she would work for an individual who was racist.”

Then Meadows said: “I’ve talked to the president more than 300 times. I have not heard a racist comment from the president.”

It is ridiculous — during Black History Month, no less — for Meadows to assert that a black person wouldn’t willingly work for a racist.

All you have to do is read case files at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Racists generally don’t broadcast their bias.

Academic research papers have looked at workplace discrimination, finding that racism takes all forms — not just in what we hear people say.

“Current research investigating discrimination within the workplace has revealed the disturbing fact that racial ‘microaggressions’ are frequent, pervasive and cause significant harm to both individuals and organizations,” wrote one researcher for Vanguard University of Southern California in a paper about racism in the workplace. “ ‘Microinsults’ are more covert styles of verbal and nonverbal communication that lack sensitivity toward issues faced by minorities. For example, when an African American employee is promoted within an organization, other employees often believe that the promotion was based upon affirmative action rather than intelligence or competency.”

Blacks have worked for racists throughout American history. Many dare not say so for fear of losing their livelihood — or, worse, their lives. They may even stand up for a known racist to further their career.

It’s entirely possible Patton never heard Trump say a single racist thing. But to showcase her as proof the president never said or did anything racist is absurd.

And would Patton have a reason to overlook racist actions by Trump?

“Patton, who revels in the limelight, has drawn criticism for her quick rise in the administration, culminating in a $160,000-a-year post despite having no housing expertise,” Washington Post reporter Tracy Jan wrote.

I worked with an editor who never said a racist thing to my face, but she was indeed a racist in how she treated me. My interactions with her still haunt me. It was one of the lowest points in my career. I was an intern at my first newspaper job in Baltimore, and there were many days her disparate treatment of me compared with the white interns sent me to the bathroom in tears.

I didn’t quit my internship. I stayed and endured her racist supervision because I needed the job and I didn’t want to lose my scholarship. I was finally removed from her supervision after many complaints. But no action was taken against her. She continued to be promoted and lauded.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/02/28/yes-rep-meadows-black-people-have-willingly-worked-racists/?utm_term=.f7f297f93d02

Why shucks...sum o' my bes frens is niggas...

Quill...a genuine question and one that I ask in the knowledge that you, at least, won't fly off the handle and starting yelling "racist English swine" at me: How is it that the 'n' word (one which I personally never, ever use) is so widely regarded as one of the foulest racist word imaginable, but one the use of which is almost de rigueur among so many black people in the music industry?
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Fred M. wrote:Quill...a genuine question and one that I ask in the knowledge that you, at least, won't fly off the handle and starting yelling "racist English swine" at me: How is it that the 'n' word (one which I personally never, ever use) is so widely regarded as one of the foulest racist word imaginable, but one the use of which is almost de rigueur among so many black people in the music industry?

Legitimate question, Fred.  It has to do with history, not just use of the word-symbol.

Nigger is a variant of Niger, or Nigrum, which means 'black' in Latin.  Not offensive...in fact, very respectable use of Latiin language...very much in the way it is used in medicine and law.

Africans themselves have an accent, called ebonics, which gives them a distinct sound when speaking English.  With them, the word came out nigger.  It was their genuine pronunciation of the word niger, with the flattened 'i' (English pronounce 'aye', not 'eh').

In America, whites, when they wanted to tease or mock blacks, would use the ebonics pronunciation as a sort of 'put-down'.  They were mocking the inferiors, by speaking inferior language.  Thus in the mouths of whites it was an insult.  It retained the stigma of the inferiors.

Some, if not most blacks realized this eventually.  Some stopped using the pronunciation, some continue out of habit, and others use it deliberately (mocking back, sts).  But only in the mouths of the whites is it interpreted as truly intending insult.  In the mouths of blacks, today, it can even exhibit a degree of pride in their background and heritage. (Sometimes I get a kick out of speaking with a Scottish accent, as that is my heritage—like that.)

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Fred M. wrote:Quill...a genuine question and one that I ask in the knowledge that you, at least, won't fly off the handle and starting yelling "racist English swine" at me: How is it that the 'n' word (one which I personally never, ever use) is so widely regarded as one of the foulest racist word imaginable, but one the use of which is almost de rigueur among so many black people in the music industry?

Legitimate question, Fred.  It has to do with history, not just use of the word-symbol.

Nigger is a variant of Niger, or Nigrum, which means 'black' in Latin.  Not offensive...in fact, very respectable use of Latiin language...very much in the way it is used in medicine and law.

Africans themselves have an accent, called ebonics, which gives them a distinct sound when speaking English.  With them, the word came out nigger.  It was their genuine pronunciation of the word niger, with the flattened 'i' (English pronounce 'aye', not 'eh').

In America, whites, when they wanted to tease or mock blacks, would use the ebonics pronunciation as a sort of 'put-down'.  They were mocking the inferiors, by speaking inferior language.  Thus in the mouths of whites it was an insult.  It retained the stigma of the inferiors.

Some, if not most blacks realized this eventually.  Some stopped using the pronunciation, some continue out of habit, and others use it deliberately (mocking back, sts).  But only in the mouths of the whites is it interpreted as truly intending insult.  In the mouths of blacks, today, it can even exhibit a degree of pride in their background and heritage.  (Sometimes I get a kick out of speaking with a Scottish accent, as that is my heritage—like that.)

Thanks, Quill, I've learned a lot from that.

I realised that the root was the Latin 'niger' and also assumed that the Spanish word for black, 'negro' (my conversational Spanish used to be pretty good and as a military reservist at the time of the Falklands war I feared being recalled and posted to a rock full of penguins to eavesdrop on Argie radio traffic!) also played a role, given the incursions of the Conquistadores in the Caribbean and South America.

But the actual evolution of the word in relation to its modern usage was entirely new to me...and absolutely fascinating.

BTW, I'm also part Scottish (and am even entitled to wear a clan tartan) but wouldn't dare attempt to speak in the accent. In fact, at a local Burns Night dinner a few weeks ago I foolishly agreed to deliver Rabbie Burns's "Address to the Haggis" after it had been piped in in the traditional manner...but did so in the English version with a slight Yorkshire accent!

Flamboyantly producing an Arabic ceremonial dagger (a memento of my African travels) in order to slice up the noble beastie at the appropriate moment almost made the piper choke on his chanter!!!!!!!!

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Some, if not most blacks realized this eventually.  Some stopped using the pronunciation, some continue out of habit, and others use it deliberately (mocking back, sts).  But only in the mouths of the whites is it interpreted as truly intending insult.  In the mouths of blacks, today, it can even exhibit a degree of pride in their background and heritage.  (Sometimes I get a kick out of speaking with a Scottish accent, as that is my heritage—like that.)

Plenty of young whites use the phrase nigga, and blacks are just fine with it.

You need to get out of the house a little more.

You can't use it, but a 25 year old white person can. White folks can't put the "er" on the end.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You can't use it, but a 25 year old white person can. White folks can't put the "er" on the end.  

Ah, but old whites in England have better manners.........
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Ah, but old whites in England have better manners.........

Probably. Us Septics are a bit unrefined. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 am

Maddog wrote:White folks can't put the "er" on the end.

What complete bullshite. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:White folks can't put the "er" on the end.  

What complete bullshite.  Rolling Eyes
Go ahead quill. Walk around town using the word n---er. Please get it on video.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I have some Black relatives, they sometimes call each other n---er, but I would never do it .
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:08 pm

nicko wrote:I have some Black relatives, they sometimes call each other n---er, but I would never do it .

Nope.  Quill leads a very sheltered life.  I sometimes wonder if he ever leaves the house. 

Old white guys just need to leave all forms of the n word alone, at least in daily use. Young folks can say they are hanging with their niggas, but even that won't set well with some of the older black folks.  

I have two white nephews that hang with a lot of black folks (one is having a child with one). They use the term interchangeably with homies.  Another term us old white guys don't pull off very well.   Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Maddog wrote:
nicko wrote:I have some Black relatives, they sometimes call each other n---er, but I would never do it .

Nope.  Quill leads a very sheltered life.  I sometimes wonder if he ever leaves the house. 

Old white guys just need to leave all forms of the n word alone, at least in daily use. Young folks can say they are hanging with their niggas, but even that won't set well with some of the older black folks.  

I have two white nephews that hang with a lot of black folks (one is having a child with one). They use the term interchangeably with homies.  Another term us old white guys don't pull off very well.   Cool

Fred asked a specific question as to how a certain language-usage pattern emerged. No question, cultural habits are always changing. But to address how things are today does not answer Fred's question about the history/origins of it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Fred M. wrote:BTW, I'm also part Scottish (and am even entitled to wear a clan tartan) but wouldn't dare attempt to speak in the accent. In fact, at a local Burns Night dinner a few weeks ago I foolishly agreed to deliver Rabbie Burns's "Address to the Haggis" after it had been piped in in the traditional manner...but did so in the English version with a slight Yorkshire accent!

Been to Scotland many times. But I would never try to use my limp Scottish accent there. I'd be too embarrassed.

Besides, that's my intake time, not time for display of what I've learned. Truth be told, for a part of my PhD dissertation I had to interpret ancient inflections of both English and French, in order to read and understand original sources. For example, to read Mary Stuart's letters--she spoke (and spelt) with a thick Q-Celtic accent. What it must have been like to hear her. And who tries to understand a London accent without understanding the aspirated consonant? And the English 'peak' their vowels, while Americans flatten them. So there's a lot of preparation just to read ancient texts.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Fred M. wrote:BTW, I'm also part Scottish (and am even entitled to wear a clan tartan) but wouldn't dare attempt to speak in the accent. In fact, at a local Burns Night dinner a few weeks ago I foolishly agreed to deliver Rabbie Burns's "Address to the Haggis" after it had been piped in in the traditional manner...but did so in the English version with a slight Yorkshire accent!

Been to Scotland many times.  But I would never try to use my limp Scottish accent there.  I'd be too embarrassed.

Besides, that's my intake time, not time for display of what I've learned.  Truth be told, for a part of my PhD dissertation I had to interpret ancient inflections of both English and French, in order to read and understand original sources.  For example, to read Mary Stuart's letters--she spoke (and spelt) with a thick Q-Celtic accent.  What it must have been like to hear her.  And who tries to understand a London accent without understanding the aspirated consonant?  And the English 'peak' their vowels, while Americans flatten them.  So there's a lot of preparation just to read ancient texts.

"Heyoop lad...weers ta bahn?" roughly translates as "hello lad...where are you going?" in my native Barnsley/Yorkshire dialect ( or "whither art thou bound?" in medieval English).

It would be interesting to know how future generations will be able to interpret present-day textspeak and emoticons!

It's almost a case of back to hieroglyphics.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Maddog wrote:

I would not be surprised if associating the words "hanging" and "n*****s" in the same sentence took on a far different meaning in certain Southern States.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Fred asked a specific question as to how a certain language-usage pattern emerged.  No question, cultural habits are always changing.  But to address how things are today does not answer Fred's question about the history/origins of it.

His question was about contemporary usage, homie!
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:13 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Fred asked a specific question as to how a certain language-usage pattern emerged.  No question, cultural habits are always changing.  But to address how things are today does not answer Fred's question about the history/origins of it.

His question was about contemporary usage, homie!

More specifically, how contemporary usage came to be. Textual reading of Fred's question is not complete.

Fred M. wrote:How is it that the 'n' word (one which I personally never, ever use) is so widely regarded as one of the foulest racist word imaginable, but one the use of which is almost de rigueur among so many black people in the music industry?

He was asking a question that inevitably contemplated the evolution of the term, and why is has certain peculiarities. To ask how an arrow came to be lodged in a wall, you've got to go back to when and where the arrow was launched. To learn how a word is used today, you've got to back to it's origins.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down