NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'

2 posters

Go down

Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'  Empty Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

A Hove cafe owner has faced criticism after admitting he turned down a job applicant because "British people have a poor work ethic".

Jullian Preston-Powers, who is a supervisor at Intenso Espresso in Hove, East Sussex, went even further on his remarks after they were uncovered.

He said that the "very poorest type of employee is a British one, full stop".

Job applicant Victoria Atkins, 22, was scheduled to come in for a trial shift but sent a text to Mr Preston-Powers asking to reschedule after she was "soaked" in the rain on the way in.

He responded by rescinding his offer of a trial shift and adding that a "poor work ethic... is highly synonymous with being British".

The cafe owner sent a series of messages to Miss Atkins, including one where he championed one staff member who hadn't had a day off in three years because that was normal for "thin, healthy people who don't eat bacon".

He wrote: "Sorry you are having a stressful morning. It's probably better you did not succeed in getting the job because you can never be late for or miss work at our business. Ever.

"We are British, but generally cannot ever manage to hire British due to poor work ethics."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/07/hove-cafe-owner-turns-applicant-british-people-have-poor-work/

Back to top Go down

Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'  Empty Re: Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'

Post by Syl Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm

"he championed one staff member who hadn't had a day off in three years because that was normal for "thin, healthy people who don't eat bacon".

That about sums his mentality up. Rolling Eyes
What he really means is British people are less likely to be treated like crap for less than minimum wage.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'  Empty Re: Cafe owner turns down job applicant because 'British people have a poor work ethic'

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 pm

"I'd had a really bad morning and just asked if I could rebook the trial shift.

"I'd taken the bus and left plenty of time, but due to delays I soon realised I would be late.

"By this time I was soaking wet because the bus only went half way, and my friend lives on the same road as the cafe so I went there to shower and dry off.

"I was already a couple of hours late so asked if I could go at a later date, which is when he said no.

"Don't get me wrong, I understand why he didn't let me just do another shift, but his comments about British people having no work ethic were shocking."

She added that the comment about eating bacon left her "very, very offended."

i don't get that,,,,''i was already 2 hours late so i went to my friends who lives in the same road as the cafe'',,,,,,DER! why not just go the cafe and apologise so the boss can see for himself the state she's in. you don't decide to ring and try to reschedule something that you're already two hours late for.

what's wrong with using a fucking brolly?

self entitled bint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

gelico wrote:"I'd had a really bad morning and just asked if I could rebook the trial shift.

"I'd taken the bus and left plenty of time, but due to delays I soon realised I would be late.

"By this time I was soaking wet because the bus only went half way, and my friend lives on the same road as the cafe so I went there to shower and dry off.

"I was already a couple of hours late so asked if I could go at a later date, which is when he said no.

"Don't get me wrong, I understand why he didn't let me just do another shift, but his comments about British people having no work ethic were shocking."

i don't get that,,,,''i was already 2 hours late so i went to my friends who lives in the same road as the cafe'',,,,,,DER!  why not just go the cafe and apologise so the boss can see for himself the state she's in.  you don't decide to ring and try to reschedule something that you're already two hours late for.

self entitled bint

Indeed Gelico, the title is misleading, as she clearly was turned down for being late.

I agree she should have gone into see him soaked and asked to reschedule. As i am sure he would not have expected anyone to worked when drenched. Also why did she not text before she was late, when she went to showed at her friends and dry off? Kind of sounds very fishy the whole story she is giving here.

He though has some poor views himself, which are appalling and dont think he is going to do his cafe any good buisness advertisement this way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 pm

You know, edds works with a lot of Romanians and Polish and a couple Italians, and she's always saying the English IN GENERAL have a poorer work ethic than the immigrants.

Workers' rights are important, but the workers should be expected to work hard. Hell, they should have the self-respect to work hard without someone telling them to.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm

gelico wrote:"I'd had a really bad morning and just asked if I could rebook the trial shift.

i don't get that,,,,''i was already 2 hours late so i went to my friends who lives in the same road as the cafe'',,,,,,DER!  why not just go the cafe and apologise so the boss can see for himself the state she's in.  you don't decide to ring and try to reschedule something that you're already two hours late for.

self entitled bint

I agree, she sounds like a waste of space, but he is very wrong to brand all Brits with the same brush.

Can you imagine the furore if an employer branded all Chinese as gambling addicts or all Pakistani's as child molesters?
It's just wrong to separate and divide people into groups, oddly though when it's the Brits who are being lumped together it doesn't warrant the same reaction....even in Britain. Rolling Eyes

For the record I have worked with lots of different nationalities....there were good workers and useless ones in all.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down