NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?

+5
Maddog
Vintage
Syl
nicko
Eilzel
9 posters

Go down

Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?  Empty Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 am

Its really piss poor when people lie over the famine

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/did-churchill-cause-the-bengal-famine/

Even more priceless, when he is clearly a marxist, which said beliefs are responsible for morer deaths in the 20th century than anything else and he does not condemn that. Talk about double standards

I do not doubt that Churchill held racist views, but again, does that deny him being classed as a great leader?

Be interested to what people think?

Back to top Go down

Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?  Empty Re: Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?

Post by Eilzel Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:00 am

People have to be judged according to their time. I've no doubt Churchill held views I'd find abhorrent; so would Attlee, Nelson, Drake and many another great figure in British history.

But of course quoting him isn't racist, as it wouldn't be to quote any other great figure whose main achievements were not persecution of others.

People need to see people in the contextof their time. Otherwise every person alive today risks being the villain of tomorrow.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?  Empty Re: Is It Offensive to Quote Sir Winston Churchill?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am

Eilzel wrote:People have to be judged according to their time. I've no doubt Churchill held views I'd find abhorrent; so would Attlee, Nelson, Drake and many another great figure in British history.

But of course quoting him isn't racist, as it wouldn't be to quote any other great figure whose main achievements were not persecution of others.

People need to see people in the contextof their time. Otherwise every person alive today risks being the villain of tomorrow.

The voice of reason and why I respect you loads, even if at times we are at odds and I be an arse to you.   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 am

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:People have to be judged according to their time. I've no doubt Churchill held views I'd find abhorrent; so would Attlee, Nelson, Drake and many another great figure in British history.

Well put Eilzel, you said what I think, only you said it in fewer words. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Well said Eilzel, said it all really.
Everyone can have an opinion, so in my opinion this professor has a very closed mind and a lack of understanding, something an academic shouldn't have.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Syl wrote:

Maybe his brevity will catch on around here?

I know some English dude said it was the soul of wit. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Maybe his brevity will catch on around here?

I know some English dude said it was the soul of wit. tongue  

He did, but even he tended to often use 10 words when one would have done. study

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Ghengis Khan had some pretty good quotes, he wasn't white of course but I wonder how this Professor would see them.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Vintage wrote:Ghengis Khan had some pretty good quotes, he wasn't white of course but I wonder how this Professor would see them.

Indeed. Shall we redfine "Alexander the Great" as Alexander the murderer?

Or shall we look at his achievements, when he was the first multicuturalist?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

I thought the whole point in quoting someone was that they put the idea really well. It should be about the message, not about who said it.

Pretty much every founding father of America owned slaves, and they wrote the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. constitution - still fairly widely quoted Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 pm

I think people should stop being offended by every single thing.

It’s getting boringly repetitive and quite frankly, stops people being themselves.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 pm

eddie wrote:I think people should stop being offended by every single thing.  

It’s getting boringly repetitive and quite frankly, stops people being themselves.

I am sorry, but I am offended, by your use of the word offended and now feel offended and need help not being offended over you being offensive.

Sorry, I got lost in the middle of that, who exactly was offended here?

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Churchill. American mum, British dad. 

Transatlantic love is a popular theme.
I was bitten by the bug too.  flower

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Thor wrote:
eddie wrote:I think people should stop being offended by every single thing.  

I am sorry, but I am offended, by your use of the word offended and now feel offended and need help not being offended over you being offensive.

Sorry, I got lost in the middle of that, who exactly was offended here?

Laughing

Hahahahahaha nice. Cool
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:30 am

study

Re:  'Professor' Snowflake in the O/P  :

IF he is genuinely "offended" by everything that somebody said back somewhen...

Maybe he should just piss off, go away and smell the roses, and 'grow a pair' while he's at it..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:24 am

Thor wrote:

The voice of reason and why I respect you loads, even if at times we are at odds and I be an arse to you.   Laughing

Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down