NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life

4 posters

Go down

Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life Empty Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:06 am

Winston Churchill is best known as a wartime leader, one of the most influential politicians of the twentieth century, a clear-eyed historian and an eloquent orator. He was also passionate about science and technology.

Aged 22, while stationed with the British Army in India in 1896, he read Darwin's On the Origin of Species and a primer on physics. In the 1920s and 1930s, he wrote popular-science essays on topics such as evolution and cells in newspapers and magazines. In a 1931 article in The Strand Magazine entitled 'Fifty Years Hence'1, he described fusion power: “If the hydrogen atoms in a pound of water could be prevailed upon to combine together and form helium, they would suffice to drive a thousand-horsepower engine for a whole year.” His writing was likely to have been informed by conversations with his friend and later adviser, the physicist Frederick Lindemann.

During the Second World War, Churchill supported the development of radar and Britain's nuclear programme. He met regularly with scientists such as Bernard Lovell, the father of radio astronomy. An exchange about the use of statistics to fight German U-boats captures his attitude. Air Chief Marshal Arthur 'Bomber' Harris complained, “Are we fighting this war with weapons or slide rules?” Churchill replied, “Let's try the slide rule.”2

He was the first prime minister to employ a science adviser, hiring Lindemann in the early 1940s. The science-friendly environment that Churchill created in the United Kingdom through government funding of laboratories, telescopes and technology development spawned post-war discoveries and inventions in fields from molecular genetics to X-ray crystallography.

Despite all this, it was a great surprise last year, while I was on a visit to the US National Churchill Museum in Fulton, Missouri, when the director Timothy Riley thrust a typewritten essay by Churchill into my hands. In the 11-page article, 'Are We Alone in the Universe?', he muses presciently about the search for extraterrestrial life.

He penned the first draft, perhaps for London's News of the World Sunday newspaper, in 1939 — when Europe was on the brink of war. He revised it lightly in the late 1950s while staying in the south of France at the villa of his publisher, Emery Reves. For example, he changed the title from 'Are We Alone in Space?' to 'Are We Alone in the Universe?' to reflect changes in scientific understanding and terminology. Wendy Reves, the publisher's wife, passed the manuscript to the US National Churchill Museum archives in the 1980s.

Riley, who became director of the museum in May 2016, has just rediscovered it. To the best of Riley's knowledge, the essay remained in the Reves's private collection and has never been published or subjected to scientific or academic scrutiny. Imagine my thrill that I may be the first scientist to examine this essay.

Here I outline Churchill's thinking. At a time when a number of today's politicians shun science, I find it moving to recall a leader who engaged with it so profoundly.

http://www.nature.com/news/winston-churchill-s-essay-on-alien-life-found-1.21467
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life Empty Re: Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 am

That is very interesting to read. Though not surprising in regards to science. When he backed the cryptographers at Bletchley Park, after receiving a letter from them headed by Alan Turning.

Back to top Go down

Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life Empty Re: Essay discovered in which Winston Churchill muses about possibility of alien life

Post by eddie Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 am

Who doesn't believe in aliens? Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Don't forget that Churchill's highest level of security rating gave him access to much if not most of the information being collated by both the RAF and USAF in relation to unexplained aerial phenomenon such as "foo fighters" during and immediately after WW2.

I bet the old boy knew far, far more about "little green men" than any of us thought.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:59 pm

eddie wrote:Who doesn't believe in aliens? Razz

I think it's unlikely that we're the only planet with life -- however, I wonder how likely it is that right now, there are many other planets that have intelligent life. There are so many variables that make it unlikely.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

I think it's unlikely that we're the only planet with life -- however, I wonder how likely it is that right now, there are many other planets that have intelligent life. There are so many variables that make it unlikely.

What's that now? scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

What's that now? scratch

Not that hard to understand, edds Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

What's that now? scratch

Not that hard to understand, edds Smile

It's not that unlikely that I'd likely understand it much, but more than likely I'll understand it later when the aliens come.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Okay, let me try to explain it more simply.

Do I think life exists elsewhere in the universe? Yes, it probably does.

Do I think intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe? That I'm more doubtful about.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Okay, let me try to explain it more simply.

Do I think life exists elsewhere in the universe? Yes, it probably does.

Do I think intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe? That I'm more doubtful about.

I knew what you meant and we've had this conversation before somewhere.
All those billions of stars and no other intelligent life? What are the odds?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 pm

well there aint much by way of intelligent life HERE ...is there....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down