NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students

5 posters

Go down

University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students Empty University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:28 am

University bosses have banned lecturers from using capital letters when assigning work to their students out of fear it might upset them.

The memo sent out to staff at Leed's Trinity journalism department suggested that using uppercase letters may 'scare them into failure', reports the Express. It also included some tips on how they should address their students from now on, such as writing in a friendly tone, steering clear of overbearing language and negative instructions. Critics have slammed the idea because it suggests that the 'snowflake' generation are being overindulged throughout their education.

The list of instructions states that it aims to increase student levels of engagement while offering lecturers a list of do's and don'ts as well as prohibited terms.  

The memo, obtained by the newspaper, says: 'Despite our best attempts to explain assessment tasks, any lack of clarity can generate anxiety and even discourage students from attempting the assessment at all.'

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6402933/University-bosses-order-lecturers-stop-using-capital-letters.html

Back to top Go down

University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students Empty Re: University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students

Post by nicko Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 am

Unbelievable !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students Empty Re: University bosses order lecturers to stop using capital letters when setting assignments because it might upset snowflake students

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:33 pm

For God's sake...they will be teaching journalism students that spelling and grammar are of no importance next!

Mind you, as someone who was a visiting tutor to journalism students at two universities, I was never fully convinced that their degrees were not in the Mickey Mouse category.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

How do capital letters offend? And what is the "snowflake generation"?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Original Quill wrote:How do capital letters offend?  And what is the "snowflake generation"?

it's not really a snowflake generation it just the British 
all these Phenomenon are Uniquely British 
the issue is not Gen Y or Leftwing or anything else (because we have those things in Oz and USA but not this Rubbish)
what All these things have in common is they are British and largely it is the Only thing they have in common 
so the Cause based on logic and reason is British-ness
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Seems much ado about nothing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 am

The "Bard" would agree !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:How do capital letters offend?  And what is the "snowflake generation"?

the issue is not Gen Y or Leftwing or anything else (because we have those things in Oz and USA but not this Rubbish)
what All these things have in common is they are British and largely it is the Only thing they have in common 

BS Veya. I don't know much about the Australian side of things but the non-binary, screaming on Uni campuses, attempts to stop people speaking at Uni campuses, demanding statues of old heroes be taken down and all the rest of the nonsense from the so-called 'Snowflakes' (a term I think of as a nothing more than a blanket, divisive and pointless insult used by the Right, but whatever) is as prevalent in the US as it is the UK. I doubt I'd have to look far to find it creeping into Aus though.

The reason you see and hear more about it here is because the prevalence of conservative (small c) minded British posters who tend to moan the most about this sort of thing.

Watch RW loud mouth commentators likes Steven Crowder or Ben Shapiro on Youtube or any number of Fox reporters and you'll hear the same coming from the States too.

You do tend to let your animosity toward the British cloud everything you write, you know Rolling Eyes
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 am

I had noticed that !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I know that 'snowflake' is a derisive term of the Right, for the Left. It's like the Left calling righty's 'knuckledraggers'.

But lately I have seen 'snowflake' used to mean something with which I quite agree. My criticism of the left is that they are too soft and delicate. They don't have the stomach for a good fight.

Obama manifested this, and at first I attributed it to the obsequiousness of blacks in American society. But when lefty's failed to beat the crap out of Sen. Mitch McConnell when he held up judicial appointments, particularly for the Supreme Court, I realized that lefty's really are weak-willed snowflakes.

I still have no idea what is offensive about use of capital-case letters.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 am

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

BS Veya. I don't know much about the Australian side of things but the non-binary, screaming on Uni campuses, attempts to stop people speaking at Uni campuses, demanding statues of old heroes be taken down and all the rest of the nonsense from the so-called 'Snowflakes' (a term I think of as a nothing more than a blanket, divisive and pointless insult used by the Right, but whatever) is as prevalent in the US as it is the UK. I doubt I'd have to look far to find it creeping into Aus though.

The reason you see and hear more about it here is because the prevalence of conservative (small c) minded British posters who tend to moan the most about this sort of thing.

Watch RW loud mouth commentators likes Steven Crowder or Ben Shapiro on Youtube or any number of Fox reporters and you'll hear the same coming from the States too.

You do tend to let your animosity toward the British cloud everything you write, you know Rolling Eyes

AND that's the issue!!!!

I don't give a fuck about the trans stuff the issue ALL the articles highlight is HOW FUCKING pathetic British Society is.
that is the REAL social issue that's the ROOT CAUSE 

and I hear SWEET fuck all of this Shit coming out of the United states. 
Maybe YOU do cause your trying to Find Comparisons that don't Highlight How True and Deeply Fucked the 'British Culture of Whinging' is !!!!
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 am

Jonathan is Left wing as well and has done a study of many US universities

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 am

ABOUT THE CODDLING OF THE AMERICAN MIND

A New York Times Notable Book

The New York Times bestseller!

Something has been going wrong on many college campuses in the last few years. Speakers are shouted down. Students and professors say they are walking on eggshells and are afraid to speak honestly. Rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide are rising—on campus as well as nationally. How did this happen?

First Amendment expert Greg Lukianoff and social psychologist Jonathan Haidt show how the new problems on campus have their origins in three terrible ideas that have become increasingly woven into American childhood and education: What doesn’t kill you makes you weaker; always trust your feelings; and life is a battle between good people and evil people. These three Great Untruths contradict basic psychological principles about well-being and ancient wisdom from many cultures.  Embracing these untruths—and the resulting culture of safetyism—interferes with young people’s social, emotional, and intellectual development. It makes it harder for them to become autonomous adults who are able to navigate the bumpy road of life.

Lukianoff and Haidt investigate the many social trends that have intersected to promote the spread of these untruths. They explore changes in childhood such as the rise of fearful parenting, the decline of unsupervised, child-directed play, and the new world of social media that has engulfed teenagers in the last decade. They examine changes on campus, including the corporatization of universities and the emergence of new ideas about identity and justice. They situate the conflicts on campus within the context of America’s rapidly rising political polarization and dysfunction.

This is a book for anyone who is confused by what is happening on college campuses today, or has children, or is concerned about the growing inability of Americans to live, work, and cooperate across party lines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:29 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

AND that's the issue!!!!

I don't give a fuck about the trans stuff the issue ALL the articles highlight is HOW FUCKING pathetic British Society is.
that is the REAL social issue that's the ROOT CAUSE 

and I hear SWEET fuck all of this Shit coming out of the United states. 
Maybe YOU do cause your trying to Find Comparisons that don't Highlight How True and Deeply Fucked the 'British Culture of Whinging' is !!!!

The British culture of whinging is fine Laughing

What is the root cause of?

I love a good moan myself. Don't get so worked up about it; whatever happened to the Aussie culture of being laid back and chilled out? Wink

Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:08 am

It by-passed Veya a long time ago, he's always been anti British. I just laugh at him now, he's so pathetic !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:02 am

As ever, all this fuss was an exaggeration. The Right getting excitable as ever...

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/leeds-trinity-university-banned-capital-letters-fact-check/
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 am

Eilzel wrote:As ever, all this fuss was an exaggeration. The Right getting excitable as ever...

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/leeds-trinity-university-banned-capital-letters-fact-check/

How is that any different when the view was to still mollycoddle the students?

Why was a memo needed in the first place?

Seriously?

Sounds more like damage limitation by the University

And you bought it hook line and sinker

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am

The fact remains Les, there are students who have "lost it" !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:44 am

nicko wrote:The fact remains Les,   there are students who have "lost it" !

A tiny minority, nicko. This is nothing new Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Eilzel wrote:

What percentage and based on what evidence to claim its a tiny minority?

The facts are this, the memo was put out based on some absurd view to make it inclusive.

Inclusive to who exactly?

In other words, such a view will be formed from students complaining or off the charts insane leftist academics

So explain why a view would form to remove Capital letters,. from a view not to hurt students and went to all teachers in this university?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Thor wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

The facts are this, the memo was put out based on some absurd view to make it inclusive.

In other words, such a view will be formed from students complaining or off the charts insane leftist academics

So explain why a view would form to remove Capital letters,. from a view not to hurt students and went to all teachers in this university?

No one was told to remove capitals, they'll still use them in correct way they ought to be used. Just not fully capitalised words and sentences, which will simply conform to academic standards.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:04 am

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

No one was told to remove capitals, they'll still use them in correct way they ought to be used. Just not fully capitalised words and sentences, which will simply conform to academic standards.

Now you are just making things up as you go along, as where does it say that in the memo?

The sooner we sack such incompetant teachers the better, for the future of our next generations

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:14 am

Thor wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Now you are just making things up as you go along, as where does it say that in the memo?

The sooner we sack such incompetant teachers the better, for the future of our next generations

Click on the link I posted up there Rolling Eyes
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 am

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Does that show the memo?

No, so what does your link show?

Show me the memo?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 am

Thor wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Does that show the memo?

Show me the memo?

The original story also does not actual SHOW the memo, it only quotes from it. Regardless, it is clear that the REASON for not Capping ALL letters (and I appreciate the irony of me doing so here, but no one can ever claim you to be a sensitive snowflake, right didge Wink ) is NOT to avoid upset at CAPS themselves, but to avoid CONFUSION, which can be stressful.

At the end of the day, using ALL CAPS does NOT conform to academic conventions anyway (how many non-fiction books have YOU read that use all caps to highlight parts?) so this is really to ensure teachers conform to the accepted standard.

Even IF it is a little over reaction to student's concerns, it is hardly earth shatteringly terrible, and really just another silly excuse to beat on teachers and students alike - because the Right does fucking hate education, doesn't it Rolling Eyes
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:58 am

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Does that show the memo?

Show me the memo?

The original story also does not actual SHOW the memo, it only quotes from it. Regardless, it is clear that the REASON for not Capping ALL letters (and I appreciate the irony of me doing so here, but no one can ever claim you to be a sensitive snowflake, right didge Wink  ) is NOT to avoid upset at CAPS themselves, but to avoid CONFUSION, which can be stressful.

At the end of the day, using ALL CAPS does NOT conform to academic conventions anyway (how many non-fiction books have YOU read that use all caps to highlight parts?) so this is really to ensure teachers conform to the accepted standard.

Even IF it is a little over reaction to student's concerns, it is hardly earth shatteringly terrible, and really just another silly excuse to beat on teachers and students alike - because the Right does fucking hate education, doesn't it Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day this was done to reduce anxiety to the students

Or did you not read this even on your own link

Now I do not get upset over the fact that you deny and down play antisemitism from the left and pure PC crap from the left and offer zero evidence for your claims. Where evidence shows in fact it is now a major problem on both issues. I simple expose your lies and dishonesty on this. 

It was the reasons behind the claims, which again was a the view, that as seen somehow caplocks is offensive

Its not and this is playing to the fragility of students

What is mindboggling is your constant defense of idiocy and hate when it comes from the left

When it comes from the right, the people on the right on here do not defend this

You have become the Tommy of the left

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:07 am

Thor wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Does that show the memo?

Show me the memo?

The original story also does not actual SHOW the memo, it only quotes from it. Regardless, it is clear that the REASON for not Capping ALL letters (and I appreciate the irony of me doing so here, but no one can ever claim you to be a sensitive snowflake, right didge Wink  ) is NOT to avoid upset at CAPS themselves, but to avoid CONFUSION, which can be stressful.

Now I do not get upset over the fact that you deny and down play antisemitism from the left and pure PC crap from the left and offer zero evidence for your claims. Where evidence shows in fact it is now a major problem on both issues. I simple expose your lies and dishonesty on this. 

It was the reasons behind the claims, which again was a the view, that as seen somehow caplocks is offensive

What is mindboggling is your constant defense of idiocy and hate when it comes from the left

When it comes from the right, the people on the right on here do not defend this

The problem with you is making assumptions and then stating them as fact.

The capslock itself is not being claimed as 'offensive'. The use of ALL CAPS is being viewed as a cause for lack of clarity, and the lack of clarity is why some might get anxious about the question they are supposed to answer. I don't really think it is a problem either way; I do see it is a fuss over nothing considering the big problems actually faced by our country and the world Rolling Eyes
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 am

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

The capslock itself is not being claimed as 'offensive'. The use of ALL CAPS is being viewed as a cause for lack of clarity, and the lack of clarity is why some might get anxious about the question they are supposed to answer. I don't really think it is a problem either way; I do see it is a fuss over nothing considering the big problems actually faced by our country and the world Rolling Eyes

Bullshit, as they certainly went off anxiety, which you are ignoring. The view is again that using Caplocks, is a form or shouting. So its no surprise, that this would be viewed by leftist teachers, to curtail based on the fragility of students. You want to deny this is the reality of the memo. 

Its you making assumptions all the time.

Like I say, the right and left should join to combat problems, but because you and some other lefties are complete pompous elitist snobs. Thinking only leftist views are the best. Places you with such an arrogance, you defend this sort of crap and deny it even is a problem, when it is. Playing into the fragility of people, when we need to help them become strong and independent.

To me, only by working together and stop pandering to such stupdity, we will ensure a brighter and stronger youth of the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 am

Thor wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

Bullshit, as they certainly went off anxiety, which you are ignoring. The view is again that using Caplocks, is a form or shouting. So its no surprise, that this would be viewed by leftist teachers, to curtail based on the fragility of students. You want to deny this is the reality of the memo. 

Like I say, the right and left should join to combat problems, but because you and some other lefties are complete pompous elitist snobs. Thinking only leftist views are the best. Places you with such an arrogance, you defend this sort of crap and deny it even is a problem, when it is. Playing into the fragility of people, when we need to help them become strong and independent.

To me, only by working together and stop pandering to such stupdity, we will ensure a brighter and stronger youth of the future.

I never said there wouldn't be anxiety - as you see in the section I bolded in the quote.

To the first section of your post I bolded - where does it said that explicitly?

To the second section I bolded - do you not think your views are the best? Are you actively arguing with someone while not believing you are right? If you think you are right, which I presume you do, then we are equal, both thinking we know best Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:

I never said there wouldn't be anxiety - as you see in the section I bolded in the quote.

To the first section of your post I bolded - where does it said that explicitly?

To the second section I bolded - do you not think your views are the best? Are you actively arguing with someone while not believing you are right? If you think you are right, which I presume you do, then we are equal, both thinking we know best Wink

I see the point went over your head. As constantly the left claim their views are superior to the right and do so often on here.

When to me there is good views held by both sides

Hence the elitist pompous stance held by some of the left

Why would there be anxiety over Caplocks and to thus avoid them?

The memo was based on this aspect

This came from one of the teachers that expose this, unless you think they are lying?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down