NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range.

+6
Vintage
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
JulesV
Ben Reilly
Syl
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range. - Page 2 Empty M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range.

Post by Syl Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sold in small, medium or large, fits from age 4 years and over.

MARKS and Spencer has come under fire for “facilitating medievalism” by selling hijabs for girls as young as four.

The retail giant was condemned by anti-extremism campaigners and customers alike for choosing “profits over values” after it emerged M&S was selling child-size hijabs for £6 each as part of its school uniform range.

Maajid Nawaz, the founder of the Quilliam counter extremism organisation, accused M&S of effectively telling young girls it was “immodest” to show their hair.

He wrote on Twitter: “M&S facilitates medievalism by selling children’s hijabs in the schoolwear category.

“It's their right to choose profit over values. But it's our right to shame them for doing so."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1030681/Marks-and-Spencer-hijabs-school-uniform-range-quilliam-organisation-womens-rights
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range. - Page 2 Empty Re: M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Original Quill wrote:When I was a kid, a half century or more ago, Catholic schools had uniforms.  Grey skirts and white blouse, boys with dark blue cords and white shirts.  It was a Catholic thing.  We never thought a thing about it.

If it's "accepting the unacceptable because of religion," it's an old, old practice, nothing new.

But did they wear those uniforms after they left school or after school when out with friends on the weekend?

So its nothing to with an old practice

This is about a store pandering to poor religious beliefs. One that is demeaning and misogynistic towards women.

I have said this countless times. Its the belief that is a choice, as the hijab, is nothing more than the uniform to that belief.

Hence those who wear, belief they have to wear, or will face the consequences in an after life.

That is then not even a choice, but coercion.

Now the same applies to Nuns, who believe they have to wear

Hence both being wrong

Nobody should be coerced into wearing something, through the most appalling lie they will suffer if they do not.

This store is exploiting a market, but simple has no care about what the hijab stands for.

The opppression of women

Back to top Go down

M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range. - Page 2 Empty Re: M&S are selling hijabs as part of it's school uniform range.

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:When I was a kid, a half century or more ago, Catholic schools had uniforms.  Grey skirts and white blouse, boys with dark blue cords and white shirts.  It was a Catholic thing.  We never thought a thing about it.

If it's "accepting the unacceptable because of religion," it's an old, old practice, nothing new.

But did they wear those uniforms after they left school or after school when out with friends on the weekend?

This is about a store pandering to poor religious beliefs. One that is demeaning and misogynistic towards women.

I have said this countless times. Its the belief that is a choice, as the hijab, is nothing more than the uniform to that belief.

Hence those who wear, belief they have to wear, or will face the consequences in an after life.

Hence both being wrong

Nobody should be coerced into wearing something, through the most appalling lie they will suffer if they do not.

This store is exploiting a market, but simple has no care about what the hijab stands for.

The opppression of women

Not women, children. Online feedback describes the size medium as suitable to fit a 4 year old.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Hence both being wrong

The opppression of women

Not women, children. Online feedback describes the size medium as suitable to fit a 4 year old.

I mean women and girls, in my point and even more girls being brainwashed to think they should wear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Didge wrote:But did they wear those uniforms after they left school or after school when out with friends on the weekend?

Yes, pretty much. Of course, the Catholic kids didn't really mingle with the regular school kids. But you'd see them in the stores or game arcades, wearing the dark blue cords and short-sleeved white shirts, and say, 'there go the St. Mary's kids.'

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:But did they wear those uniforms after they left school or after school when out with friends on the weekend?

Yes, pretty much.  Of course, the Catholic kids didn't really mingle with the regular school kids.  But you'd see them in the stores or game arcades, wearing the dark blue cords and short-sleeved white shirts, and say, 'there go the St. Mary's kids.'

What rubbish, as i went to an a Brother De La Salle, all Boys Catholic school.

I certainly mingled with kids from the orchestras I played in and the sports that I played with out side them. As many kids did. Many of whom, were not Catholics.

So your claim is utter nonsense, as per usual

Again, none wore their uniform when out in the evening, on the weekends, or when they finally left the school

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yes, pretty much.  Of course, the Catholic kids didn't really mingle with the regular school kids.  But you'd see them in the stores or game arcades, wearing the dark blue cords and short-sleeved white shirts, and say, 'there go the St. Mary's kids.'

I certainly mingled with kids from the orchestras I played in and the sports that I played with out side them. As many kids did. Many of whom, were not Catholics.

Again, none wore their uniform when out in the evening, on the weekends, or when they finally left the school

I'm just saying that what I'm hearing here does not conform to my memories.  I remember when Jim Maginni came to public school, over from St. Mary's, it was the first cross-over that we in our class ever experienced.  I knew Jim independently, because our dad's were friends.

Our football teams didn't even play together...we had our public school programs, and they had their parochial school league.  Same with band.  Same with thespian society.  Of course, that may have been what the Catholic schools were promoting, and the uniforms were a part of that.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

I'm just saying that what I'm hearing here does not conform to my memories.  I remember when Jim Maginni came to public school, over from St. Mary's, it was the first cross-over that we in our class ever experienced.  I knew Jim independently, because our dad's were friends.

Our football teams didn't even play together...we our our public school programs, and they had their parochial school league.  Same with band.  Same with thespian society.  Of course, that may have been what the Catholic schools were promoting, and the uniforms were a part of that.

Are you, or were you ever a Catholic?

If not, then you really would have no idea.

Even if you did, it would then only relate to a small number of people you knew

Whilst there certainly was anti-irish sentiment that I saw and experinced growing up, most people I knew got along with people whether catholic or not. Being irish, we grew up around Indians and afro-caribbean communities in South London

Again nobody went out in their uniforms on a night out or the weekend. If they did come from a sports event wearing one, then they had the shit ripped out of them

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Syl wrote:

Would you think it acceptable if  M&S introduced burkas in their school uniform essentials for primary school girls?
Young children should not be brain washed into believing they should cover their heads and hair up to prevent males from leering at them....and if their parents are so misguided they believe their kids should be covered, a major UK retailers should not be pandering to them...imo.

Totally agree, it is encouraging and enabling a backward practice.

Once again people are accepting the unacceptable because of religion.

I think you feel stronger than I do about women wearing head and face coverings Eilzel, my opinion is IF it's their own choice to do so they should not be denied that choice  or made to feel uncomfortable by it.
To tell an adult what not to wear in their own time is as bad as telling them what they can wear imo.
Children have yet to make their minds up and shouldn't be forced into wearing something that really is totally inappropriate for them

But we have no way of knowing who is and isn't forced to wear it.

My issue is with the religion tbh. It expects it of a woman but not a man. They are also undeniably uncomfortable in certain weather conditions too yet women at best feel obliged to wear them to please their god. It is truly awful imo. But I care far more about children being made to wear it than I do women choosing to.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think you feel stronger than I do about women wearing head and face coverings Eilzel, my opinion is IF it's their own choice to do so they should not be denied that choice  or made to feel uncomfortable by it.
To tell an adult what not to wear in their own time is as bad as telling them what they can wear imo.
Children have yet to make their minds up and shouldn't be forced into wearing something that really is totally inappropriate for them

But we have no way of knowing who is and isn't forced to wear it.

My issue is with the religion tbh. It expects it of a woman but not a man. They are also undeniably uncomfortable in certain weather conditions too yet women at best feel obliged to wear them to please their god. It is truly awful imo. But I care far more about children being made to wear it than I do women choosing to.
Me too Eilzel, and tbh I think M&S should get a backbone and refuse to stock them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Didge wrote:Are you, or were you ever a Catholic?

No, I'm not Catholic. I've already confessed (no pun intended) that this is only my experience. But whether I'm inside the group, or outside, I still observe that (1) the school picks the uniforms; and (2) the Catholic kids willingly wear them.

So, again, it appears that both sides willingly acquiesce. A store like M & S is totally outside the loop of choice or decision-making.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:

No, I'm not Catholic.  I've already confessed (no pun intended) that this is only my experience.  But whether I'm inside the group, or outside, I still observe that (1) the school picks the uniforms; and (2) the Catholic kids willingly wear them.

So, again, it appears that both sides willingly acquiesce.  A store like M & S is totally outside the loop of choice or decision-making.

So you observed a very minute amount of Catholics you know

Not the bases for any study is it?

Just as much as my experince

The idea that schools picks uniforms, has its very bases in religion and control.

It also hase a bases in something called pride, something, I would have thought, you would be against, being a leftist.

Hence the view to take credit, off the pupil, for their achievements. As if they had made that pupil be intelligent. When they only played a minor part.

The reality is this. The only way you are going to help people co-exist, is if they are allowed to dress in what ever they feel comfortable with. Uniforms and religious rules restrict this.

As to cthaolic schools were happy to wear. i can tell you, that, most of us, abused the rules on said uniforms.

Hence in my experince, your claim, is again based on a flase premise.

Its based on your own experince, of not having attended a catholic school, nor know many catholic students

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:

No, I'm not Catholic.  I've already confessed (no pun intended) that this is only my experience.  But whether I'm inside the group, or outside, I still observe that (1) the school picks the uniforms; and (2) the Catholic kids willingly wear them.

So, again, it appears that both sides willingly acquiesce.  A store like M & S is totally outside the loop of choice or decision-making.

Here uniforms are worn by most schools no matter what their faith is, I went to a protestant school but we had to wear uniforms of shirt, tie, jumper skirt for girls trousers for boys in the school colours of maroon and light blue...and a blazer.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Here uniforms are worn by most schools no matter what their faith is, I went to a protestant school but we had to wear uniforms of shirt, tie, jumper skirt for girls trousers for boys in the school colours of maroon and light blue...and a blazer.

We don't have anything like that. In the public High School I went to, we only had fraternity jackets with an insignia on it. They made us put a patch over the insignia because they thought it was a sign of status (it was).

Our school (and most in the US) go in the complete opposite direction of uniforms. They want students to blend in.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Syl wrote:
*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
Syl wrote:

M&S are middle of the road, they always have been, but they are luxury personified compared to the most popular UK high street stores like Primark and Aldi.

I prefer Tesco, the people who shop at M&S are poncy.

How rude. snobby

He was joking. He bloody loved M&S and you won’t find anyone more snobby about certain food items than him! He spends about £20 on a bag of coffee beans. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Religious dress/symbols etc should have no part of schooling, no crosses, no star of David, no Crescent, no hijabs, no kippah, no topknot, no ringlets, no beards.
Wear it at home or socially if you must, grow your hair/facial hair when you leave education if you feel you must.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

How rude. snobby

He was joking. He bloody loved M&S and you won’t find anyone more snobby about certain food items than him! He spends about £20 on a bag of coffee beans. Rolling Eyes

Do they have M&S in America.?
I actually love their food halls....sadly the clothes have gone downhill lately, which is why so many of their stores are closing down.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:15 am

No, he loved M&S over here. He wanted to find some special secret beer made by them that no one had ever discovered....

I got bored and fucked off to the crisp aisle.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:38 am

eddie wrote:No, he loved M&S over here. He wanted to find some special secret beer made by them that no one had ever discovered....

Lol...they do some great crisps and party snacks.
Most of their food is nice, but if you haven't tried them buy their millionaires deserts....they are often included in their 'dine in' offers.....heaven. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:43 am

eddie wrote:No, he loved M&S over here. He wanted to find some special secret beer made by them that no one had ever discovered....

Here, you should order from this Eddie, its close to me in Wye

https://www.thewoodenspoon.co.uk/

They do whiskey jams  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

I actually love their food halls....sadly the clothes have gone downhill lately, which is why so many of their stores are closing down.

No, they don't.  Although I've only known M & S as a clothing store, if it's as you say it would be comparable with only Target or Walmart here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

No, they don't.  Although I've only known M & S as a clothing store, if it's as you say it would be comparable with only Target or Walmart here.

I may be wrong but I think our Asda is owned by Walmart.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yes, asda was acquired by Walmart in a take-over in 1999. But I find it hard to think of stores with both a dry goods and grocery component, like M & S. I can only think of Target, which is French owned, and Walmart.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes, asda was acquired by Walmart in a take-over in 1999.  But I find it hard to think of stores with both a dry goods and grocery component, like M & S.  I can only think of Target, which is French owned, and Walmart.

We have a few stores that sell both, Asda also sell clothes and food.
We have some M&S stores which sell only one or the other, but most of the ones I know combine food and clothes ...which makes life easier.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2