NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform

Go down

Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform Empty Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:19 pm

LONDON (AP) — The leader of the Roman Catholic church in England and Wales says government cuts to social welfare are a "disgrace" and have left people facing hunger and destitution.

Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols, soon to be made a cardinal by Pope Francis, told the Daily Telegraph that the way social benefits are handed out "has become more and more punitive."

He said: "For a country of our affluence, that quite frankly is a disgrace."

The Conservative-led government has slashed billions from public spending in a bid to curb Britain's deficit. But its critics say cuts to unemployment, housing and disability benefits are disproportionately hitting the poor.

Nichols said a safety net intended to "guarantee that people would not be left in hunger or in destitution has actually been torn apart."

http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-archbishop-slams-uk-welfare-reform-212829725.html

...Good on him for speaking out.

Back to top Go down

Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform Empty Re: Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 pm

well i hope his comments are noted but i doubt very much they will be sadly this government don't care about the poor as long they are lining their pockets

Back to top Go down

Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform Empty Re: Catholic archbishop slams UK welfare reform

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:well i hope his comments are noted but i doubt very much they will be sadly this government don't care about the poor as long they are lining their pockets

That's true that they will ignore his comments, but it's good that a senior religious figure as spoken out about this, and what Christianity should be all about tbf.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Catman wrote:
Maine coon lover wrote:well i hope his comments are noted but i doubt very much they will be sadly this government don't care about the poor as long they are lining their pockets

That's true that they will ignore his comments, but it's good that a senior religious figure as spoken out about this, and what Christianity should be all about tbf.

yes it is  Smile 

you really should stop eating that popcorn you know you will put on weight  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:
Catman wrote:

yes it is  Smile 

you really should stop eating that popcorn you know you will put on weight  Razz 

Laughing 

I bet Ann Widdicombe, and other Catholic Tories, they won't welcome these comments at all!  Razz 

They might have to examine their conscience's!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down