NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse)

3 posters

Go down

Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse) Empty Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse)

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 pm

(CNN)WARNING: This story contains graphic language.

Failing Cheeto-Faced Ferret-Wearing Shit Gibbon's closest aides have taken extraordinary measures in the White House to try to stop what they saw as his most dangerous impulses, going so far as to swipe and hide papers from his desk so he wouldn't sign them, according to a new book from legendary journalist Bob Woodward.

Woodward's 448-page book, "Fear: Trump in the White House," provides an unprecedented inside-the-room look through the eyes of the President's inner circle.

From the Oval Office to the Situation Room to the White House residence, Woodward uses confidential background interviews to illustrate how some of the President's top advisers view him as a danger to national security and have sought to circumvent the commander in chief.

Many of the feuds and daily clashes have been well documented, but the picture painted by Trump's confidants, senior staff and Cabinet officials reveal that many of them see an even more alarming situation — worse than previously known or understood. Woodward offers a devastating portrait of a dysfunctional Trump White House, detailing how senior aides — both current and former Trump administration officials — grew exasperated with the President and increasingly worried about his erratic behavior, ignorance and penchant for lying.

Chief of staff John Kelly describes Trump as an "idiot" and "unhinged," Woodward reports. Defense Secretary James Mattis describes Trump as having the understanding of "a fifth or sixth grader." And Trump's former personal lawyer John Dowd describes the President as "a fucking liar," telling Trump he would end up in an "orange jump suit" if he testified to special counsel Robert Mueller.

"He's an idiot. It's pointless to try to convince him of anything. He's gone off the rails. We're in crazytown," Kelly is quoted as saying at a staff meeting in his office. "I don't even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I've ever had."

CNN obtained a copy of Woodward's book, scheduled for release September 11. The explosive revelations about Trump from those closest to him are likely to play into the November midterm election battle. The book also has stunning new details about Trump's obsession with the Russia probe, describing for the first time confidential conversations between the President's lawyers and Mueller. It recounts a dramatic session in the White House residence in which Trump failed a mock Mueller interview with his lawyers.

Woodward sums up the state of the Trump White House by writing that Trump was an "emotionally overwrought, mercurial and unpredictable leader." Woodward writes that the staff's decision to circumvent the President was "a nervous breakdown of the executive power of the most powerful country in the world."

Circumventing the President

The book opens with a dramatic scene. Former chief economic adviser Gary Cohn saw a draft letter he considered dangerous to national security on the Oval Office desk.

The letter would have withdrawn the US from a critical trade agreement with South Korea. Trump's aides feared the fallout could jeopardize a top-secret national security program: the ability to detect a North Korean missile launch within just seven seconds.

Woodward reports Cohn was "appalled" that Trump might sign the letter. "I stole it off his desk," Cohn told an associate. "I wouldn't let him see it. He's never going to see that document. Got to protect the country."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html

I know that's a huge quote, but the article is much longer. It's a fascinating and terrifying read, actually. If you believe it, you have to believe that the president of the United States is immature, ignorant and petulant.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse) Empty Re: Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse)

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 pm

I already believe that the president of the United States is immature, ignorant and petulant.

Can I also add “chaotic”, to that list?

And may I also add, that a “chaotic” mind can be a good thing if you’re not immature, ignorant and petulant.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse) Empty Re: Book: Trump's staff literally steals documents from him to protect U.S. national security (and it gets worse)

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:08 pm

eddie wrote:I already believe that the president of the United States is immature, ignorant and petulant.

Can I also add “chaotic”, to that list?

And may I also add, that a “chaotic” mind can be a good thing if you’re not immature, ignorant and petulant.

I agree. I was just astounded that staffers have gone to the length (on more than one occasion, apparently) of actually stealing government documents from the president for fear of the chaos they'd create if he signed them.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 pm

That is mind boggling to be honest, but is it legal?
I know that’s kind of beside the point but I had to ask.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 pm

eddie wrote:That is mind boggling to be honest, but is it legal?
I know that’s kind of beside the point but I had to ask.

That's a very interesting question. I think in some cases it's probably against the law, and I would think in every case it would be grounds to get fired. Really sort of underscores how dramatic a situation this has become.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 pm

I get that, but will any of it be admissible in any court case or legal proceeding? That’s the shit of it all.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 pm

eddie wrote:I get that, but will any of it be admissible in any court case or legal proceeding? That’s the shit of it all.

Okay, bunch of ifs for you. IF Trump is impeached by Congress, and IF the impeachers wanted to make the case that Trump is unfit for the office, I think this book would likely be introduced to underscore the chaos of his administration.

However, I would think they'd want more original-source evidence, such as staffers actually testifying to Congress that they stole documents from Trump's desk.

This book might steer them in that direction, or it might be used as supplementary evidence.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Well, if he’s truly got stuff to hide and is as evil as we read about, then I hope he is brought to justice.

That’s all I can say about that, as Forrest Gump rightly said.

Oh and one other thing....most rich and powerful people always get out of the shit. So don’t hold your breath Ben Reilly.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:12 am

The book is by Bob Woodward, of All the President's Men fame. He has ties to Washington regulars, particularly military types.

I'm particularly interested in the story of Gen. Maddice, Secretary of Defense, refusing an assassination of Assad. Not out of warm feelings for Assad, but I would like to know where the military stands should push come to shove. With Trump, our survival may depend upon the military stepping in.

That has been a concern.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down