NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain

5 posters

Go down

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Empty Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 am

Piers Morgan has ripped into Cosmopolitan magazine for 'celebrating morbid obesity' after it featured plus-size model Tess Holliday on its front cover.

The Good Morning Britain host, back in the studio today after a six-week break, was involved in a fiery debate with the glossy mag's editor Farrah Stoor, who defended the cover for promoting a positive body image.

Mr Morgan, 53, called the move 'dangerous' as Britain endures an ongoing obesity crisis, with an epidemic of overweight people costing the NHS billions each year.

He slammed the magazine in a tweet last week, causing Mrs Holliday, who weighs 300 pounds, to hit back and call him 'small minded'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6125949/Piers-Morgan-accuses-Cosmo-editor-celebrating-morbid-obesity-Tess-Holliday-cover.html

Back to top Go down

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Empty Re: Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am

Basketball

Piers Morgan is one of the last people who should be criticising other obese people...

His head alone must weigh over a hundred pounds, with all of the crap he parks in there..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Empty Re: Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:01 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Basketball

Piers Morgan is one of the last people who should be criticising other obese people...

His head alone must weigh over a hundred pounds, with all of the crap he parks in there..

It has made him a millionaire, though...

Buggered if I can see why, but there must be a lesson in there somewhere.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 pm

He’s got a point. Isn’t 300 pounds pretty heavy for a woman of her stature?

And I bet there are NO fat people employed at cosmopolitan.

And I bet no woman, who is defending her, wants to look like her either.

It’s all hypocritical shit aimed at making fatter people but their magazine (and their offshoot products, obviously).

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEHuDRdkXs

Well this is definately a case for the erosion of an individual freedom

Free speech

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I saw this cover yesterday in prime position on a supermarket shelf, asked my OH what he though....I cant repeat his reply.

Obviously the girl is incredibly overweight and looks awful (to me) and it may make morbid obesity, even more acceptable, and God knows there is enough of it about anyway.

But.....I also think women are programmed to think they should be perfect just like the girls on the covers of glossy high end mags, (who have been airbrushed beyond recognition anyway)
So to see an obviously imperfect body strutting her stuff (even though she too has been airbrushed to hide the cellulite that comes with morbid obesity) just may give some women confidence and realise us women dont all have to look like supermodels to be considered attractive.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Syl wrote:I saw this cover yesterday in prime position on a supermarket shelf, asked my OH what he though....I cant repeat his reply.

Obviously the girl is incredibly overweight and looks awful (to me) and it may make morbid obesity, even more acceptable, and God knows there is enough of it about anyway.

But.....I also think women are programmed to think they should be perfect just like the girls on the covers of glossy high end mags, (who have been airbrushed beyond recognition anyway)
So to see an obviously imperfect body strutting her stuff (even though she too has been airbrushed to hide the cellulite that comes with morbid obesity) just may give some women confidence and realise us women dont all have to look like supermodels to be considered attractive.

I think that smoking should never be advertized, nor should the bodies of super slim supermodels. Where also here this is dangereous to advertize such an unhealthy lifestyle. All of them are unhealthy lifestyles

Eddie was right in what she said and this is more about exploiting the rising obesity situation in the west.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:I saw this cover yesterday in prime position on a supermarket shelf, asked my OH what he though....I cant repeat his reply.

I think that smoking should never be advertized, nor should the bodies of super slim supermodels. Where also here this is dangereous to advertize such an unhealthy lifestyle. All of them are unhealthy lifestyles

But superslim models have been and always will be the norm when advertising beauty products and clothes.
Many of the girls have admitted they are/were anorexic or bulimic when they modelled, even slim girls are told they are too fat and to lose weight by a lot of the high end fashion houses.

Fashion and health concerns by the ones who control the fashion industry have never gone hand in hand.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Eddie was right in what she said and this is more about exploiting the rising obesity situation in the west.
But superslim models have been and always will be the norm when advertising beauty products and clothes.
Many of the girls have admitted they are/were anorexic or bulimic when they modelled, even slim girls are told they are too fat and to lose weight by a lot of the high end fashion houses.

Fashion and health concerns by the ones who control the fashion industry have never gone hand in hand.

Hence why I say such advertizement should be banned when it is promoting ill health in people Syl

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Hence why I say such advertizement should be banned when it is promoting ill health in people Syl

You will never ban adverts promoting fashion and beauty though...its a bazillion £££ industry. Some fashion houses have pledged not to use dangerously thin girls who are obviously either anorexic or stuffed with coke.....but they still use zero size models all the time.
I think air brushing should be banned though, its selling a lie.

I just watched the interview, I agreed with most of what the Cosmo editor said, she isnt promoting obesity, she is just saying that even fat girls can be attractive.....I doubt anyone will strive to look like that woman on the cover, but its good that she isnt hidden away too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

You will never ban adverts promoting fashion and beauty though...its a bazillion £££ industry. Some fashion houses have pledged not to use dangerously thin girls who are obviously either anorexic or stuffed with coke.....but they still use zero size models all the time.

I just watched the interview, I agreed with most of what the Cosmo editor said, she isnt promoting obesity, she is just saying that even fat girls can be attractive.....I doubt anyone will strive to look like that woman on the cover, but its good that she isnt hidden away too.

Well why not have good looking people smoking and drinking on the front cover Syl?

I dont agree with anything the cosmo editor said and she is exploiting a very poor line to use this that somehow being unhealthy is beautiful

Like i said, Cosmo should have done what they do on the advertisement of cigs. Show the harm obesity does to the body

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well why not have good looking people smoking and drinking on the front cover Syl?

I dont agree with anything the cosmo editor said and she is exploiting a very poor line to use this that somehow being unhealthy is beautiful

Like i said, Cosmo should have done what they do on the advertisement of cigs. Show the harm obesity does to the body

Magazines dont promote smoking and drinking on the cover the same way Cosmopolitan hasn't had a fat woman stuffing her face on the cover.

The editor made it plain she wasnt promoting obesity as a healthy option ....she said this woman had a healthy energetic lifestyle in spite of her weight. She also pointed out that how could she be promoting obesity when this cover is one in a million, the other 99.9% are of thin or normal sized women.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Magazines dont promote smoking and drinking on the cover the same way Cosmopolitan hasn't had a fat woman stuffing her face on the cover.

The editor made it plain she wasnt promoting obesity as a healthy option ....she said this woman had a healthy energetic lifestyle in spite of her weight. She also pointed out that how could she be promoting obesity when this cover is one in a million, the other 99.9% are of thin or normal sized women.

It does not matter, stuffing her face is what has created this unhealthy oversized body

They might as well have had her tucking into a large cake

She is promoting obseity and exploiting a view that some how big is beautiful. Its not in any capacity health wise

Its like saying people who smoke are beautiful and healthy

They are not and I bet every smoker will agree with me

Its setting a dangeroeus precedent, that is okay to be unhealthy and like I said, you might as well have people smoking and drinking on the front cover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

she has a beautiful face imo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

she has a beautiful face imo

Which is the point. How much more beautiful would she look, if she was a healthy weight?

I mean they would never post up a picture of the average over weight person?

They choose someone who does have a pretty face which is the point, to then try and make out obesity is okay and that is looks beautiful

It does not, she just looks facially beautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

It does not matter, stuffing her face is what has created this unhealthy oversized body

She is promoting obseity and exploiting a view that some how big is beautiful. Its not in any capacity health wise

Its setting a dangeroeus precedent, that is okay to be unhealthy and like I said, you might as well have people smoking and drinking on the front cover

How do you think many models on front covers keep their weight down...they smoke and drink, take laxatives, starve themselves, use drugs......thats how they keep skinny.
This months cover obviously eats too much to be the size she is.....so whats the difference?

No one is promoting obesity, I havent read the actual inside story, but I would bet the woman is not giving cookery tips or nutrition advice..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

How do you think many models on front covers keep their weight down...they smoke and drink, take laxatives, starve themselves, use drugs......thats how they keep skinny.
This months cover obviously eats too much to be the size she is.....so whats the difference?

No one is promoting obesity, I havent read the actual inside story, but I would bet the woman is not giving cookery tips.

Which is wrong as well and should be banned. As it sets a dangeroeus precedent on an unhealthy lifestyle. Which as you said leads to grls becoming anorexic.

Why then make the problem worse by going to the other extreme end of the spectrum and advertize people unhealthly over weight? It just going to then make people feel its okay to be overweight.

I mean they choose her for one reason, her pretty face and they would never choose the average person overweight

Hence its a con like it is with zero size models. As that is not the reality of the general public and thus leads to unhealthy life choices

At the end of the day I back people to do what they want with their own bodies, but to advertize this is as bad as when smoking used to be advertized

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Well this girl is a pretty successful model despite her weight, obviously her pretty face helps, but then skinny models have to have pretty faces too if they want to work.

All glossy mags are cons, simply because they portray the women who are promoting beauty and fashion as looking perfect, which is why I think air brushing is just as important in stopping the myth that girls and women should look a certain way.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I agree with myself thats it's a good thing to show someone very different on the cover.
Its a one off....it'll be ages before another fat girl is featured.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

No one is promoting obesity, I havent read the actual inside story, but I would bet the woman is not giving cookery tips.

Which is wrong as well and should be banned. As it sets a dangeroeus precedent on an unhealthy lifestyle. Which as you said leads to grls becoming anorexic.

Why then make the problem worse by going to the other extreme end of the spectrum and advertize people unhealthly over weight? It just going to then make people feel its okay to be overweight.

I mean they choose her for one reason, her pretty face and they would never choose the average person overweight

Hence its a con like it is with zero size models. As that is not the reality of the general public and thus leads to unhealthy life choices

At the end of the day I back people to do what they want with their own bodies, but to advertize this is as bad as when smoking used to be advertised

So what you mean is let them do what they want, but preferably keep them hidden.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Syl wrote:Well this girl is a pretty successful model despite her weight, obviously her pretty face helps, but then skinny models have to have pretty faces too if they want to work.

All glossy mags are cons, simply because they portray the women who are promoting beauty and fashion as looking perfect, which is why I think air brushing is just as important in stopping the myth that girls and women should look a certain way.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I agree with myself thats  it's a good thing to show someone very different on the cover.

That is the point is more to do with their faces. You wont find them choosing girls with perceived less pretty or ordinary looks as zero models or what ever you call this kind of model? A 300 pound model?

So its a con, and its trying to fool people into an unhealth precedent by the pretty faces chosen to model such body looks

That is your choice Syl that you think its a good think. The very fact girls more and more are self harming based off perceived looks and suffering depression says to me. That its creating far more problems with both sides of the spectrum

What they should advertize is health, excercize and not based on facial looks, but to see people happy living healthily

If you want to show acceptance, then you chose people who are ordinary looking, from many different ethnic groups in everyday walks of life, that look after themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

At the end of the day I back people to do what they want with their own bodies, but to advertize this is as bad as when smoking used to be advertised

So what you mean is let them do what they want, but preferably keep them hidden.

Where did I say that Syl?

Never did, so please do not make false claims, to things I never said

Thank you

I was talking about advertizement

My view has been the same throughout. Do not use advertizement to promote unhealthy living chocies. Where i think this should be extended to surgary foods, sweets and drinks etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Even I would say that this lady is a bit on the large side even on the scale of body types. That said every skinny person isn't anorexic or bulimic or even a careful eater, just as a 'fat' person isn't always a careless eater or lying on a couch all day stuffing pies and cream cakes.
For some people in either category there's a lot more to it. If it was so easy to be the perfect body style I doubt that many people would be overly skinny or overly fat, and there wouldn't be so many unhappy people about. I agree we have a problem with processed foods containing too much sugar and fats
also substitute sugar and fats (cheaper) and portion sizes.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:Well this girl is a pretty successful model despite her weight, obviously her pretty face helps, but then skinny models have to have pretty faces too if they want to work.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I agree with myself thats  it's a good thing to show someone very different on the cover.

That is the point is more to do with their faces. You wont find them choosing girls with perceived less pretty or ordinary looks as zero models or what ever you call this kind of model? A 300 pound model?

So its a con, and its trying to fool people into an unhealth precedent by the pretty faces chosen to model such body looks

That is your choice Syl that you think its a good think. The very fact girls more and more are self harming based off perceived looks and suffering depression says to me. That its creating far more problems with both sides of the spectrum

What they should advertize is health, excercize and not based on facial looks, but to see people happy living healthily

If you want to show acceptance, then you chose people who are ordinary looking, from many different ethnic groups in everyday walks of life, that look after themselves.

The sentence I highlighted....thats the very reason I think it's a good idea to have women who dont fit the normal idea of female beauty in the spotlight for positive reasons.
Not every woman is slim, pretty, tall, confident and so on. I just think featuring a woman so far away from the normal woman who fronts Cosmo covers would be empowering to women who know they are not perfect.
Thats not encouraging anyone to stuff themselves and pile on pounds, it's proving that to be different is acceptable too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

The sentence I highlighted....thats the very reason I think it's a good idea to have women who dont fit the normal idea of female beauty in the spotlight for positive reasons.
Not every woman is slim, pretty, tall, confident and so on. I just think featuring a woman so far away from the normal woman who fronts Cosmo covers would be empowering to women who know they are not perfect.
Thats not encouraging anyone to stuff themselves and pile on pounds, it's proving that to be different is acceptable too.

So you think advertizing bad health is going to help those already with mental health issues?

I think advertizing a woman who is clearly massively overweight, sends out all the wrong signals to young people. When already obesity is a major concern to this country. Not only to the health of individuals but to the cost of the NHS. Its not going to help those with mental health issues and could just substitute one problem for another.

There is no massive tax on obseity, as there is with buying cigarettes

There is nothing wrong with slightly overweight and would never object to this, where even more a health lifestyle was promoted. Promoting someone so overweight, who is clearly damaging her own body and massively reducing her life expextancy, is sending out all the wrong signals on health. Again use ordinary people. This woman is not ordinary but massively and dangereously overweight

So yes it is encouraging a poor unhealthy lifstyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

So you think advertizing bad health is going to help those already with mental health issues?

I think advertizing a woman who is clearly massively overweight, sends out all the wrong signals to young people. When already obesity is a major concern to this country. Not only to the health of individuals but to the cost of the NHS. Its not going to help those with mental health issues and could just substitute one problem for another.

There is nothing wrong with slightly overweight and would never object to this, where even more a health lifestyle was promoted. Promoting someone so overweight, who is clearly damaging her own body and massively reducing her life expextancy, is sending out all the wrong signals on health. Again use ordinary people. This woman is not ordinary but massively and dangereously overweight

No one is advertising bad health, they are advertising an alternative body shape which may make other overweight women feel more accepted in a society that grades a woman by her looks.
Cosmopolitan isnt a healthy eating guide, it's always offered alternative views and controversial opinions.

In any case, once the magazine is opened no doubt there will be many ads encouraging the more normal idea of female beauty.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

No one is advertising bad health, they are advertising an alternative body shape which may make other overweight women feel more accepted in a society that grades a woman by her looks.
Cosmopolitan isnt a healthy eating guide, it's always offered alternative views and controversial opinions.

In any case, once the magazine is opened no doubt there will be many ads encouraging the more normal idea of female beauty.

Advertising a picture of someone unheathly overweight is seriously wrong

So lets put this to the test

Do you want to pust these people on the front cover of Cosmos?

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Z

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVenU4CRJmJ85BLZrIjYakbLnsx3edUIm-DfrA655LSDL60nz8

Or why not alongside the photo of the 300 pound model, show a picture of what its done to her insides?

Or put a disclaimer about the health risks of obsesity

Are you willing to do that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 pm

No, but then would you put a pic of this lady on the front of the magazine?

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Old-lady-in-bikini%5B1%5D

Yet there is no outcry when incredibly skinny girls are on the cover.

Odd that the one time a fat girl is published there is so much distaste.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Syl wrote:No, but then would you put a pic of this lady on the front of the magazine?

Cosmopolitan Editor Defends Cover Featuring Plus-Size Model Tess Holliday | Good Morning Britain Old-lady-in-bikini%5B1%5D

Yet there is no outcry when incredibly skinny girls are on the cover.

Odd that the one time a fat girl is published there is so much distaste.

So you would not put a picture of the two I proposed to you and that it then has nothing to do with the actual body size, but clearly how pretty she as an individual looks. Meaning her body size is basically irrelevant and she is chosen to be on the cover base on her pretty facial features. In other words its a con based around the body and its all based on her facial looks

You know my view already that I am against also promoting size zero people. So I have no idea why you want to bring that up?

The view here is about promoting an unhealthy image to people,espcially those younger. They are then going to think, that is okay to be seriously over weight. Which is already happenning by these poor and ill informed people on the web. Who claim its healthy to be so overweight.

So it sets a bad precedent. That is why I have said that advertizers should not promote bad health style choices and products

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 pm

She isnt on the cover to promote health though is she?
Just as incredibly skinny models are not promoting a healthy lifestyle....yet when was the last time you/most people objected to underweight cover girls.

The bottom line is put a fat girl on the cover of a magazine and people take notice.
So the editor has played a blinder, plus imo it will give overweight women everywhere a bit of a boost.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Syl wrote:She isnt on the cover to promote health though is she?
Just as incredibly skinny models are not promoting a healthy lifestyle....yet when was the last time you/most people objected to underweight cover girls.

The bottom line is put a fat girl on the cover of a magazine and people take notice.
So the editor has played a blinder, plus imo it will give overweight women everywhere a bit of a boost.

She is promoting though an unhealthy imagie by her body size

Why do you keep going on about skinny, when I think that is promoting an unhealth image as well?

Yeah, I agree people will take notice and think its okay to be seriously overweight

That is bad advertizement

As people seriously overweight should be encouraged to lose weight

Just like i should be encouraged to stop smoking

Posting a picture of someone seriously overweight and only done so on how facially pretty they are, is misleading and dangerously the wrong message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Well we will have to agree to disagree.
I repeat the woman isnt on the cover encouraging others to get fat, she is fat, no denying that, and thats why everyone is discussing her.

My point remains that its good to have alternatives sometimes, it will make other women who are not blessed with societies idea of perfection, encouragement that they dont have to be perfect (IE SLIM) to be accepted.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Syl wrote:Well we will have to agree to disagree.
I repeat the woman isnt on the cover encouraging others to get fat, she is fat, no denying that, and thats why everyone is discussing her.

My point remains that its good to have alternatives sometimes, it will make other women who are not blessed with societies idea of perfection, encouragement that they dont have to be perfect (IE SLIM) to be accepted.

As you wish

But you are missing the point Syl, that it will encourage a bad healthy lifestyle (there are even websites that promote to be overweight and feel great)

I mean voluptuous, no problem, but this is someone that is 300 pounds and seriously a health risk to herself

So is that a good alternative?

Not by any margin

So nobody is saying they have to be perfect and even then this is a poor reflection on many people overweight.

As I say, they choose someone very pretty

If you want to normalize how people look, then show everyday people and not based on how stunningly pretty they are

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:20 pm

It would be nice if that happened, but we are talking about the beauty/fashion business, so apart from the very odd exception (like this one) the standard look of continuous perfection will always sell more than the mediocre.

I know this is different but to me it may help others.

This year one of the stars of Strictly come dancing is Paralympic Lauren Steadman, she was born without a complete right arm.

There is talk that very soon gay men and women may be partnered with each other on the show instead of the traditional male and female partnerships.
Stepping away from the norm is good, it gives encouragement to others who dont fit the traditional mould.

And before you say they are not victims of their own lifestyle I agree, but thats not the point I'm trying to make.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Syl wrote:It would be nice if that happened, but we are talking about the beauty/fashion business, so apart from the very odd exception (like this one) the standard look of continuous perfection will always sell more than the mediocre.

I know this is different but to me it may help others.

This year one of the stars of Strictly come dancing is Paralympic Lauren Steadman, she was born without a complete right arm.

There is talk that very soon gay men and women may be partnered with each other on the show instead of the traditional male and female partnerships.
Stepping away from the norm is good, it gives encouragement to others who dont fit the traditional mould.

And before you say they are not victims of their own lifestyle I agree, but thats not the point I'm trying to make.

Well there is a good way to deal with that

Dont fuel their incompetance by buying their product Cosmos or other such magazines, as they continually promote bad health lifestyles

To me advertizing someone seriously overweight to be seen as a good thing. Is like I say as poor as advertizing smoking

The examples you give are not bad health life choices. So to compare them is rather silly to me Syl

So I am all for more diversity in like I say seeing everyday life

Like this

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Its not silly though, its pointing out that to be accepted you can also be different from the norm.

In your video most of the women were beautiful no matter where they originated from, there were a couple of older ladies...still beautiful, and just one overweight girl.

I think that proves my point more than yours. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Syl wrote:Its not silly though, its pointing out that to be accepted you can also be different from the norm.

In your video most of the women were beautiful no matter where they originated from, there were a couple of older ladies...still beautiful, and just one overweight girl.

Its completely silly to advertize an unhelathy lifestyle

Like i said you might as well advertize girls with actual anorexia and say its a beautiful body image syl

I could go further and say you could show people who self harm and claim its a beautiful body image

See where I am going with this?

So it does not prove your point in any way

She was not seriously overweight the one girl in the vid   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:Its not silly though, its pointing out that to be accepted you can also be different from the norm.

Like i said you might as well advertize girls with actual anorexia and say its a beautiful body image syl

I could go further and say you could show people who self harm and claim its a beautiful body image

So it does not prove your point in anyway

You keep saying they are promoting an unhealthy lifestyle by showing a fat girl on the cover, thats not what they have done though. She isnt on there being interviewed about her food intake or her health.
Where did they say its good to look like that....they featured a woman who just happens to be obese, but that shouldn't define who she is.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

So it does not prove your point in anyway

You keep saying they are promoting an unhealthy lifestyle by showing a fat girl on the cover, thats not what they have done though. She isnt on there being interviewed about her food intake or her health.
Where did they say its good to look like that....they featured a woman who just happens to be obese, but that shouldn't define who she is.

But it is unhealthy. So it does not matter as to why they have done it. As again its going to send the wrong message. Just as it would if they actually posted someone with anorexia.

Can you not see that, seriously Syl?

Again its up to people what they do with their bodies, but to advertize unhealthy body images, is not in anyway sensible. Like I said there is groupos out there that actually think its healthy to be seriously overweight. Its sending all the wrong messages out to people. They may feel they look beautiful and I am sure some do, but again its unhealthy and that is not something you should advertize through beauty magazines

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Have a read Syl

https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/normalisation-of-plus-size-risks-hidden-danger-of-obesity-study-finds

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Didge wrote:Have a read Syl

https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/normalisation-of-plus-size-risks-hidden-danger-of-obesity-study-finds

Night

The reaction Cosmo have had since using an obese woman as a cover sort of proves that obesity is not being normalised, and its certainly not being encouraged.
I bet the majority of normal sized people who  saw that cover  commented unfavourably about her size.

Most people know that being overweight is not healthy,  education is the key, but like it or not obese people are here and they need to be catered for.

Are manufacturers of clothes supposed to pretend big people dont exist, or dont deserve to be dressed nicely? Of course they will promote outsized clothes because there is a market for them, people wear them from  necessity not a choice.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:Have a read Syl

Night

The reaction Cosmo have had since using an obese woman as a cover sort of proves that obesity is not being normalised, and its certainly not being encouraged.
I bet the majority of normal sized people who  saw that cover  commented unfavourably about her size.

Most people know that being overweight is not healthy,  education is the key, but like it or not obese people are here and they need to be catered for.

Are manufacturers of clothes supposed to pretend big people dont exist, or dont deserve to be dressed nicely? Of course they will promote outsized clothes because there is a market for them, people wear them from  necessity not a choice.

Well again that is just wrong as again its advertizing unhealthiness

Like I said, not once would you back comos to use a girl suffering with anorexia.

The reason is obvious.

It’s not fine to be fat. Celebrating obesity is irresponsible

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/10/fat-pride-obesity-public-health-warnings-dangerous-weight-levels

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 pm

She writes this, and also talks about the problems she has had in her life. Personally I think she is admirable....and like she says, she so much more than just a fat model.

''Fat' is in the title of my new book because, well, I'm fat. I have chosen to 100% reclaim the word. The reality is I am fat, but I'm also so many other things: A mum, model, author. That word is not the one thing I am, it's a part of many things I am.

There’s such a stigma against people who look like me that we’re unhealthy or lazy. I usually tell people: 'I challenge you to keep up with me in a day in my life, work all of this, then go home take care of my children and see how you fare.'

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body/health/a12264575/tess-holliday-fat-friend-open-letter/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Syl wrote:She writes this, and also talks about the problems she has had in her life. Personally I think she is admirable....and like she says, she so much more than just a fat model.

''Fat' is in the title of my new book because, well, I'm fat. I have chosen to 100% reclaim the word. The reality is I am fat, but I'm also so many other things: A mum, model, author. That word is not the one thing I am, it's a part of many things I am.

There’s such a stigma against people who look like me that we’re unhealthy or lazy. I usually tell people: 'I challenge you to keep up with me in a day in my life, work all of this, then go home take care of my children and see how you fare.'

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body/health/a12264575/tess-holliday-fat-friend-open-letter/

There is stigma by some people, but that then does not mean people try to change the understanding of how unhealthy it is to be seriously overweight. Any abuse or discrimination is wrong. Critical advise is justfied, just as you did with me smoking

Personally I think there is like with many people seriously obese, underlining mental health issues with depression and lack of self esteem. This seems to be a belief it will help them combat their condition. Which is further from the case. Many who are obses are unhappy with how they are and those who were previously say this was stopping them changing. Which is very worrying. I mean there is no "smoke acceptance" and for good reason. Its unhealthy, but some of these people are wrongly trying to make something unhealthy, be something that is seen to be good and acceptable.

That is totally irresponsible

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:She writes this, and also talks about the problems she has had in her life. Personally I think she is admirable....and like she says, she so much more than just a fat model.

There is stigma by some people, but that then does not mean people try to change the understanding of how unhealthy it is to be seriously overweight. Any abuse or discrimination is wrong. Critical advise is justfied, just as you did with me smoking

Personally I think there is like with many people seriously obese, underlining mental health issues with depression and lack of self esteem. This seems to be a belief it will help them combat their condition. Which is further from the case. Many who are obses are unhappy with how they are and those who were previously say this was stopping them changing. Which is very worrying. I mean there is no "smoke acceptance" and for good reason. Its unhealthy, but some of these people are wrongly trying to make something unhealthy, be something that is seen to be good and acceptable.
That is totally irresponsible.

I hear you, but no one is saying fat is good, Cosmo isnt saying fat is good either, they simply put ONE model who happens to be fat on their cover ONCE.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

I hear you, but no one is saying fat is good, Cosmo isnt saying fat is good either, they simply put ONE model who happens to be fat on their cover ONCE.

But many of these people seriously obese, think it is acceptable health wise and often argue against known medical knowledge. That is many pushing back on medical facts. This is seen in the link I posted from the Guardian. Where they use terms like fat pride. have a go at cancer research for simple pointing out the dangers and risks. It shows the dangerous and poor belief that is forming around this. So puting this on the cover is irresponsible, as they would never do the same with anorexia.

Why?

Because it would be promoting an unhealthy condition and dangerous lifestyle

That is being irresponsible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Anyway I am going to bed

Night Syl

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Night Didge, sleep well.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down