NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook to offer users new gender options

3 posters

Go down

Facebook to offer users new gender options  Empty Facebook to offer users new gender options

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:01 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/facebook-to-offer-users-new-gender-options/story-fnjwnhzf-1226826887539

YOU don’t have to be just male or female on Facebook anymore. The social media giant is adding a customizable option with about 50 different terms people can use to identify their gender as well as three preferred pronoun choices: him, her or them.
Facebook said the changes, launched on Thursday, initially cover the company’s 159 million monthly users in the US and are aimed at giving people more choices in how they describe themselves, such as androgynous, bi-gender, intersex, gender fluid or transsexual.

“There’s going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to mean nothing, but for the few it does impact, it means the world,’’ said Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, who worked on the project and is herself undergoing gender transformation, from male to female. On Thursday, while watchdogging the software for any problems, she said she was also changing her Facebook identity from Female to TransWoman.

“All too often transgender people like myself and other gender nonconforming people are given this binary option, do you want to be male or female? What is your gender? And it’s kind of disheartening because none of those let us tell others who we really are,” she said. “This really changes that, and for the first time I get to go to the site and specify to all the people I know what my gender is.”

Facebook, which has 1.15 billion active monthly users around the world, also allows them to keep their gender identity private and will continue to do so.

The change to the gender selection option is seen as a major step toward acceptance for people who don’t self-identify as male or female, but the high-profile development seemed senseless to those who believe in two genders, no more.

“Of course Facebook is entitled to manage its wildly popular site as it sees fit, but here is the bottom line: It’s impossible to deny the biological reality that humanity is divided into two halves — male and female,” said Jeff Johnston, an issues analyst for Focus on the Family, an influential national religious organisation based in Denver. “Those petitioning for the change insist that there are an infinite number of genders, but just saying it doesn’t make it so. That said, we have a great deal of compassion for those who reject their biological sex and believe they are the opposite sex.”

Masen Davis, executive director of the San Francisco-based Transgender Law Center, said it may be hard for some people to understand the importance of having the ability to select from multiple genders online. But he said many transgender people will be thrilled with the change.

“We applaud Facebook for making it possible for people to be their authentic selves online,” he said.

more at source
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Facebook to offer users new gender options  Empty Re: Facebook to offer users new gender options

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 am

It'd be funny if they just handled it the way they do relationship status:

* Male

* Female

* It's complicated
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Facebook to offer users new gender options  Empty Re: Facebook to offer users new gender options

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:08 am

its a good idea .

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:05 am

I like that they also ask do you want to be she, he or them.  Sort of makes the rest redundant   Smile
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:52 am

Another reason to stay away.

Back to top Go down

Facebook to offer users new gender options  Empty Facebook sex changes: which one of 50 genders are you?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Until now Facebook users have had to choose "male" or "female" as a gender when signing up for an account, but from today people will be able to select one of 50 options including "intersex" and "androgynous".

The site also allows users to select a gender-neutral pronoun, so the site would suggest to friends that they "wish them a happy birthday" rather than "wish him a happy birthday".

Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, who helped implement the changes and is herself undergoing gender transformation from male to female, told AP: "There's going to be a lot of people for whom this is going to mean nothing, but for the few it does impact, it means the world. All too often transgender people like myself and other gender nonconforming people are given this binary option, do you want to be male or female? What is your gender? And it's kind of disheartening because none of those let us tell others who we really are. This really changes that, and for the first time I get to go to the site and specify to all the people I know what my gender is."

The list of 50 gender options in full

Agender
Androgyne
Androgynes
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans Female
Trans Male
Trans Man
Trans Person
Trans*Female
Trans*Male
Trans*Man
Trans*Person
Trans*Woman
Transexual
Transexual Female
Transexual Male
Transexual Man
Transexual Person
Transexual Woman
Transgender Female
Transgender Person
Transmasculine
Two-spirit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10637968/Facebook-sex-changes-which-one-of-50-genders-are-you.html

I don't even know what half these genders are and what the differences are between them? Facebook to offer users new gender options  Smile144

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Merged the topics.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Merged the topics.

Thanks Ben, sorry, must have missed the original thread Facebook to offer users new gender options  Doh10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Merged the topics.

Thanks Ben, sorry, must have missed the original thread Facebook to offer users new gender options  Doh10

That's fine, I've seen this happen more often as we become a more active forum. I've even started searching the site before I post anything new Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Genderfluid??  Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Just to add something about the site activity -- I posted this less than a month ago:

* We've averaged more than 50 posts per day. Again, last December was our most active month for posting, but this month is well on pace to eclipse that mark (which was 7,774). We've also averaged nearly five new topics started per day.

Now it's more like 94 posts per day with just over six new topics. :D
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Tess. wrote:Genderfluid??  Shocked 

I know Tess, I've lead a sheltered life I know but I don't know what the majority of these mean?! What is the difference between a Trans Female and a Trans*Female??? Facebook to offer users new gender options  Confus29

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:13 pm

I think that's ridiculous to be honest. Surely someone is either man or woman; if you have a sex change you identify as the one you changed to.

Anything else is just complicating matters and purposefully setting yourself aside as an 'other'?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Just to add something about the site activity -- I posted this less than a month ago:

* We've averaged more than 50 posts per day. Again, last December was our most active month for posting, but this month is well on pace to eclipse that mark (which was 7,774). We've also averaged nearly five new topics started per day.

Congratulations Ben, it's really taken off.  You have a great forum, really enjoying posting here Facebook to offer users new gender options  Love_h54x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Eilzel wrote:I think that's ridiculous to be honest. Surely someone is either man or woman; if you have a sex change you identify as the one you changed to.

Anything else is just complicating matters and purposefully setting yourself aside as an 'other'?

Hey Les  I love you xxx

Do you know what these terms mean? Is it my age, my sheltered life???!! Facebook to offer users new gender options  Questi29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:21 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Just to add something about the site activity -- I posted this less than a month ago:

Congratulations Ben, it's really taken off.  You have a great forum, really enjoying posting here Facebook to offer users new gender options  Love_h54x

Thanks! I really enjoy your contributions  Cool 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Eilzel wrote:I think that's ridiculous to be honest. Surely someone is either man or woman; if you have a sex change you identify as the one you changed to.

Agree, just tell us what you want to be called he, she or them
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 am

feelthelove wrote:

Hey Les  I love you xxx

Do you know what these terms mean? Is it my age, my sheltered life???!! Facebook to offer users new gender options  Questi29

Not most of them- unnecessarily complicating matters imo.

^Good to see the forum on the rise Ben  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:06 am

what a totally pointless exercise..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 am

They missed off Pansexual

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:40 pm

NemsAgain wrote:They missed off Pansexual

They did??!!! Facebook to offer users new gender options  Google16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down