NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blasts from the past.

+4
magica
nicko
Vintage
Syl
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Blasts from the past. - Page 2 Empty Blasts from the past.

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Many things we did as kids have disappeared for the present generation of kids growing up in this technical obsessed world.
A survey now finds that one third of primary school kids have never ridden a bike. scratch
Kids don't play out anymore, it suits the youngsters to be stuck in their rooms playing the latest computer games, it suits the parents because they know they are safe??

We played ropes, ball, hide and seek, just hung out with other kids, getting dirty and doing stuff todays kids would love if they only had the chance.

What other things did you do as a child that todays kids have never had the chance to do?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Blasts from the past. - Page 2 Empty Re: Blasts from the past.

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:Iam going to ask one simple question

I have seen a mountain of antisemitism from Veya

Its always been allowed to stand

I have to accept that and do, considering the forum owner also allows antisemitism to stand. What I do is challenge his antisemitism

I Mean what sort of person posts a cartoon on a thread of antisemitism and uses and classes Anne Frank as not only a slut, but a Jewish slut?

Someone who hates Jews or more so me. The later to get at me. Which if true shows how sad and pathetic they are, because they are proving they are anti-semitic. As they are using the Holocaust as a lightning rod for shock humour. Veya is quintessentially racist and hateful to Israeli Jews and Zionists. People who want a historical homeland. His hate never extends to Islamism. Something far removed that is forcing beliefs. We have jews rightfully reclaim lands from colonial Arab conquerers. In any given situation if European as the colonialists. Veya would condemn the Europeans. When Jews return to their ancestral home. He claims, they are colonialists. That is how fucked up and hateful he is.

Now I put up with daily his hate and Veya is hateful, he sides with terrorists and calls Europeans "Hill shepherds", witch is in reference to demean and be racist towards Europeans and Ben allows hatred and racism against people labelled as white. It shows Bens double standards, because all racism and hate is wrong. As racism against people labelled as black is wrong and Ben allows Veya to constantly be racist and xenophobic to people labbelled white

To me as someone who hates racism and homophobia, sexism etc. I have to put up with this leftist haters doing this daily

I grew a pair, and learnt to understand the best way to comabt this leftist liars, is to expose their hate and constantly ridicule their hate

Wrong thread for this sort of rant. Rolling Eyes

Absolutely right, Syl. I purposely try not to read any of Didge's daft rambling and haven't done so for months. The fool would try to start an argument at a funeral - probably accusing the undertaker of making a "poor" choice of coffin handles - and his manic obsession with having the last word in practically every discussion would be funny were it not so bloody tedious.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

Absolutely right,  Syl. I purposely try not to read any of Didge's daft rambling and haven't done so for months. The fool would try to start an argument at a funeral - probably accusing the undertaker of making a "poor" choice of coffin handles - and his manic obsession with having the last word in practically every discussion would be funny were it not so bloody tedious.

Daft?

Fool?

Is this why you constantly run away from debates with me?

I would never make a mockery of someone dying, but its interesting that you would use death itself, to then use this to attack a poster

I would never argue over a coffin, as its simple wood. as when the body is dead. That is how sadly how little you know about me

When I die, I would rather they simple threw my body to other animals to eat. As when I am dead, my body is going to be better spent feeding others. Sadly most humans do not think this way and are morbid, thinking when dead, their remains should be placed in some expensive wooden box.

You really are such a snobbish ellitist twat

Last edited by Didge on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Syl wrote:

I have to accept that and do, considering the forum owner also allows antisemitism to stand. What I do is challenge his antisemitism

I Mean what sort of person posts a cartoon on a thread of antisemitism and uses and classes Anne Frank as not only a slut, but a Jewish slut?

Someone who hates Jews or more so me. The later to get at me. Which if true shows how sad and pathetic they are, because they are proving they are anti-semitic. As they are using the Holocaust as a lightning rod for shock humour. Veya is quintessentially racist and hateful to Israeli Jews and Zionists. People who want a historical homeland. His hate never extends to Islamism. Something far removed that is forcing beliefs. We have jews rightfully reclaim lands from colonial Arab conquerers. In any given situation if European as the colonialists. Veya would condemn the Europeans. When Jews return to their ancestral home. He claims, they are colonialists. That is how fucked up and hateful he is.

Now I put up with daily his hate and Veya is hateful, he sides with terrorists and calls Europeans "Hill shepherds", witch is in reference to demean and be racist towards Europeans and Ben allows hatred and racism against people labelled as white. It shows Bens double standards, because all racism and hate is wrong. As racism against people labelled as black is wrong and Ben allows Veya to constantly be racist and xenophobic to people labbelled white

To me as someone who hates racism and homophobia, sexism etc. I have to put up with this leftist haters doing this daily

I grew a pair, and learnt to understand the best way to comabt this leftist liars, is to expose their hate and constantly ridicule their hate

Why is it wrong?

Are you now the judge to decide?

Seriously, nothing is ever wrong to debate on and dont ever say what is

It was not even a rant but factual

So why even read it and then reply?

At least it shows it has hit the point, does it not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for that, I enjoy talking about social experiences of years gone by, its nice to look back, especially on the good things you remember, even if life was hard, almost everyone I grew up with was in the same boat, you didn't have much to envy, there were a few who were quite well off in school with us. We used to have a savings club in junior school, the majority would take thruppence or sixpence or a shilling, one or two would bring in 5 shillings, one glrl used to bring a ten shilling note each week, we were all in awe that someone could afford all that.
Before I went to school I used to go to my grans to watch Children's hour, we didn't have a tv, all my aunts and uncles clubbed together and bought the tv for my gran and granpa for their anniversary can't remember which exactly but they were married 70 odd years, anyway after they died we inherited the tv. It was bakerlite, quite big but with a screen about the size of a small tablet now. We had it for a good few years until it could no longer be repaired. We then went to Rediffusion to rent a set, we'd go every week on Saturday to shop and pay the tv rental in town.
I was too young to remember but we all went to the local primary school in the village to watch the Coronation on a tv set up there, one of the local handymen climbed up on the school roof to set up an ariel just for that day, didn't get paid, it was all so communal then, tea and sandwiches as well apparently.
Reminiscing about your past is good for you, so we are told and I think its true. Its nice to hear about others experiences of childhood there are similarities and differences mainly due to being urban or rural. I've had some interesting chats with people who were sent to this area from London during the second world war, the majority loved it once they got used to it, some hated it even if they had good places and people to live with, quite a few liked it so much they came back as soon as they could.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

Absolutely right,  Syl. I purposely try not to read any of Didge's daft rambling and haven't done so for months. The fool would try to start an argument at a funeral - probably accusing the undertaker of making a "poor" choice of coffin handles - and his manic obsession with having the last word in practically every discussion would be funny were it not so bloody tedious.

I made a thread on this a while ago and aas scorned by Eddie and Ben, and the thread was placed in the naughty boys one.
You are spot on. Fred. From memory, Didgs turnsd my thread on Owrn Smith's sacking into an anti semitic rant at Corbyn within 2 or 3 posts.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Angry Andy wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I made a thread on this a while ago and aas scorned by Eddie and Ben, and the thread was placed in the naughty boys one.
You are spot on. Fred. From memory, Didgs turnsd my thread on Owrn Smith's sacking into an anti semitic rant at Corbyn within 2 or 3 posts.

Blasts from the past. - Page 2 Tenor

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Thats a picture oDidge.
Nevef stops bitching and bleating.
And would argue in an empty room.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Angry Andy wrote:Thats a picture oDidge.
Nevef stops bitching and bleating.
And would argue in an empty room.

Blasts from the past. - Page 2 Tenor

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Syl wrote:
nicko wrote:A visit to the "flicks",   a packet of Woodbines,  bag of Chips,  and still have change from half a crown Laughing

Half a crown could buy a great night out back then. Laughing

I can remember the day decimalisation was introduced in the UK. I was very young, working in a nightclub behind the bar, everyone, staff and customers alike were relying on everyone else to be honest with the money exchanges....we soon got the hang of it though.
Odd how everything suddenly shot up in price though.

We went Saturday morning flicks, the got bag of chips and crackling after, whilst walking home, great.

When mum and dad took us a pictures we sat in the gods I loved it lol.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I used to help out in a friends parent's pub,(legally a bit young but it was a country pub), you get to know the rounds and can price them quickly after a bit of practice and you can do the change, then along came decimalisation. I don't know why figures faze me after working in the pub with no cash register just a drawer to keep the money in and as a Saturday girl in Woolworths working with those big cash registers that you had to press the keys and the price of each thing would flag up, you had to work it all out though.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Vintage wrote:I used to help out in a friends parent's pub,(legally a bit young but it was a country pub), you get to know the rounds and can price them quickly after a bit of practice and you can do the change, then along came decimalisation. I don't know why figures faze me after working in the pub with no cash register just  a drawer to keep the money in and as a Saturday girl in Woolworths working with those big cash registers that you had to press the keys and the price of each thing would flag up, you had to work it all out though.

My first job when I left school at 15 was working in Manchester Piccadilly Woolworths store.
I had a job at Telephone house, but the training didn't start till March, so I got the Woollies job to bridge the gap till the training started.

I was put on the stationary counter, there must have been thousands of items, all of which we had to add up in our heads, I cant imagine kids of today doing that without a calculator. Laughing

I hated it though, the older woman I worked with was really bossy, so I left after a couple of weeks and started working at the local Co-op. That was a great job, one of the jobs I did there was slicing and measuring butter and cheese on an old fashioned cheese cutter, then wrapping it up in greaseproof paper ready to be sold.
The people I worked with were lovely, when my telephonist training was due to start they told me to pick anything I liked off the shelves as a leaving present.
I chose a bar of Pears soap because to me that was quite a luxury. They laughed and added a big box of chocolates.

Funny how memories like this never fade.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm

My friend was on the makeup counter at the front of the store, very cool, I was right at the back working on household stuff mats, brushes etc and on light bulbs and Christmas decorations in the run up to Christmas didn't mind that, still at the back but in the centre more going on. You had to try every light bulb you sold in a socket on the counter.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:38 am

I remember when Woolies tried the lightbulbs before selling them, pity shops dont still do that.
I have bought many a bulb that doesn't actually work when I get it home.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 am

Easy to check a bulb, hold up to light and see if filament is unbroken.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm

nicko wrote:Easy to check a bulb, hold up to light and see if filament is unbroken.

I do that Nicko, but sometimes the bulb is the type that's opaque and you cant see...I also do the shake test, if it makes a tinny sound its broke....I have still bought duds though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I suppose the best way to check is just to plug it in !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Yep...the old ideas are sometimes the best. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 pm

What a great thread! Well done Syllabus.

I used to love playing “Jacks”. Where you threw a little bouncy ball and had to pick up the metal spiky things.

That was a terrible explanation! I can do write I can Blasts from the past. - Page 2 3489511464
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Just thought when I was selling light bulbs, people used to know what ask for - wattage, now I don't have a clue with the new bulbs unless they have wattage on them as well, apparently 370 lumens =
40 watts and you can switch them on and off 8000 times !.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 am

eddie wrote:What a great thread! Well done Syllabus.

I used to love playing “Jacks”. Where you threw a little bouncy ball and had to pick up the metal spiky things.

That was a terrible explanation! I can do write I can Blasts from the past. - Page 2 3489511464
Thank you Miss Eddie.

I played Jacks too, good game. Snakes and ladders, dominoes, and the ever popular scrabble, which I still play.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 am

Vintage wrote:Just thought when I was selling light bulbs, people used to know what ask for - wattage, now I don't have a clue with the new bulbs unless they have wattage on them as well, apparently 370 lumens =
40 watts and you can switch them on and off 8000 times !.
The bulbs now cost about £8 and are supposed to last 25 years.....they dont,. Rolling Eyes
Just bought one and needed an old fashioned 100w.....eventually worked out that equivalent is now 20w.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am

I loved Ludo.

We used to play flick cards, stand cards against the wall and pick a card to see if you can knock it down.

Ball in a stocking. Hitting it around you whilst up against a wall.

Wow I remember it like yesterday.

Happy days being a kid.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

And the coffin probably wouldn't have even had handles Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 am

Anyone of a certain age remember the nit nurse in school?
Like others on here many of our activities were church based jumble sales were a big part of growing up. Then there was the annual trip to the local beach and fun fair, you can go there everyday these days, its not very far at all, about an hour on the bus.
I remember rushing to get in the sea, still cold from the winter, then sitting on a rock wrapped in my towel, teeth chattering while trying to eat soggy tomato and cucumber sandwiches laced with sand.
You'd saved pennies all year to go on the shows afterwards carefully deciding which you'd go on because you only had so much to spend. The smell of the salt air, grease on the machinery, candyfloss, rock and doughnuts all mixed together. Screams and laughter from the rides especially the caterpillar where a hood would come over the cars half way round and if you were a certain age steal a kiss undercover.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2