NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blasts from the past.

+4
magica
nicko
Vintage
Syl
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Blasts from the past. Empty Blasts from the past.

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Many things we did as kids have disappeared for the present generation of kids growing up in this technical obsessed world.
A survey now finds that one third of primary school kids have never ridden a bike. scratch
Kids don't play out anymore, it suits the youngsters to be stuck in their rooms playing the latest computer games, it suits the parents because they know they are safe??

We played ropes, ball, hide and seek, just hung out with other kids, getting dirty and doing stuff todays kids would love if they only had the chance.

What other things did you do as a child that todays kids have never had the chance to do?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Blasts from the past. Empty Re: Blasts from the past.

Post by Vintage Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:52 pm

We'd go off all day with jam sandwiches and a bottle of water, wandering over fields and through the woods, making 'cabins', the fun was constructing them and transporting stuff to them. Parents didn't really know where we were. Sliding down grassy slopes on pieces of cardboard. anging around the farms doing 'jobs' like collecting eggs from all over including up in the hay loft, feeding chickens, collecting the cows for milking and taking them back out after, they knew exactly where to go so it wasn't difficult, I expect it wouldn't happen now with health and safety. Then having a glass of filtered only creamy milk as 'payment'.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Health and safety aficionados would have a heart attack at some of the things past generations did when they were kids. Razz

We used to make mud pies and play chip shop owner and buyer with mud and pebbles on the nearby croft.
My mum used to clean everything with one bottle of Stardrops......we didn't have a different cleaner for every household job like today.

Lads used to make buggies out of a plank of wood, old pram wheels and a piece of string....feet were used as brakes.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Vintage and Syl, Marbles, Swapping comic books, British Bulldog, Conkers, Knocking Doors and then running, plus all the things you'v mentioned.

Happy days that lasted forever !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:17 pm

a lot of our activities were neighbourhood ones.

harvest festival was celebrated and everyone contributed to the local church we had school assembly etc, dont know if that's still a thing

firework night was usually taken in turns where one of our neighbours or ourselves would host the night, proper bonfire, penny for the guy, fireworks, eateries and drinks

christmas carolling, making presents, making decorations, proper thick snow, church services, loads of neighbour visits and get togethers right throughout the 2 weeks school holidays, it was a busy time

long, long days of summer, over the open air lido, getting red bus rover and going into london and the museums etc, punch and judy shows in the park, garden parties

throught it all though, it was a very rare thing for us all not to sit together round the table at 6.30 for dinner

ps, anyone remember french skipping,

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Oh happy days. All of the above, I loved the run up to Christmas, helping my mother to make puddings and the cake. Getting the Christmas tree, all the workers had one for free on the last working day, usually a 6ft one. Then the whole family plus a few strays around the table Christmas Day, tv and parlour games in the evening.
Reading my brother and sister's comic the Eagle and Girl .
We used to do a lot of skipping on your own or in groups with a really long rope or two ropes don't know what it was called or I don't remember anyway. Towards the end of primary school it was kiss chase at that time I didn't really get the point didn't want to kiss the boys, not then anyway bit of a lte developer maybe. Thinking about that I can't believe how mature a few of the girls were and had boyfriends.

Last edited by Vintage on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Second thoughts)

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:29 pm

nicko wrote:Vintage and Syl,    Marbles,   Swapping comic books,  British Bulldog, Conkers, Knocking Doors and then running, plus all the things you'v mentioned.

Happy days that lasted forever !

Lol Nicko, can you believe that conkers are now banned from some schools because of the danger element.

Comics were great...Bunty and Judy were my two favourites, I guess you don't know about those two though. Laughing
We always got the Beano and Dandy annuals every Christmas.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 pm

gelico wrote:

harvest festival was celebrated and everyone contributed to the local church we had school assembly etc, dont know if that's still a thing

firework night was usually taken in turns where one of our neighbours or ourselves would host the night, proper bonfire, penny for the guy, fireworks, eateries and drinks

christmas carolling, making presents, making decorations, proper thick snow, church services, loads of neighbour visits and get togethers right throughout the 2 weeks school holidays, it was a busy time

long, long days of summer, over the open air lido, getting red bus rover and going into london and the museums etc, punch and judy shows in the park, garden parties

throught it all though, it was a very rare thing for us all not to sit together round the table at 6.30 for dinner

Your childhood memories, along with Vintage and Nicko's sound idyllic.

What's French skipping?
We used to do the double rope skipping, quite hard till you got the knack.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Vintage wrote:Oh happy days. All of the above, I loved the run up to Christmas, helping my mother to make puddings and the cake. Getting the Christmas tree, all the workers had one for free on the last working day, usually a 6ft one. Then the whole family plus a few strays around the table Christmas Day, tv and parlour games in the evening.
Reading my brother and sister's comic the Eagle and Girl .
We used to do a lot of skipping on your own or in groups with a really long rope or two ropes don't know what it was called or I don't remember anyway. Towards the end of primary school it was kiss chase at that time I didn't really get the point didn't want to kiss the boys, not then anyway bit of a lte developer maybe. Thinking about that I can't believe how mature a few of the girls were and had boyfriends.

I was like you, a late developer, I was 17 when I had my first kiss.
Before that I had a couple of crushes on boys I knew wouldn't be interested in me.....sort of a safety measure till I was ready to pucker up. Blasts from the past. 1069003512
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

What's French skipping?

this sort of thing, you can do it on your own but in the playground the chairs would be people.  a certain sequence of jumps are done at ankle level, then it's raised to knee level, then thighs then waist then chest.  once the person fucks up and gets it wrong it's someone elses go.

there was a sequence of steps and jumps accompanied by a rhyme or whatever.

innocent fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3oqpgdfiZo

Last edited by gelico on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Who remembers...women in headscarves to cover their hair rollers....dryers, heated rollers, hair straighteners were in short supply in the 60s.

Stiff net underskirts soaked in sugared water to make them stick out more.

Pony tails.

Prawn cocktail starter and Black forest gateau desert being a real treat in a restaurant.

Good manners being the norm.

Kids allowed to play out till dusk.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

What's French skipping?

this sort of thing, you can do it on your own but in the playground the chairs would be people.  a certain sequence of jumps are done at ankle level, then it's raised to knee level, then thighs then waist then chest.  once the person fucks up and gets it wrong it's someone elses go.

there was a sequence of steps and jumps accompanied by a rhyme or whatever.

innocent fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3oqpgdfiZo

Well I'm glad you added the link, I was totally confused before I saw it. Razz
Never played that Gels.....we just did the standard skipping, or double ropes if one was feeling particularly agile.

I tried skipping a couple of weeks ago, sons girlfriends son is into it....I couldn't get past 4 turns, for some reason I have forgotten how to jump and turn the rope at the same time. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Syl wrote:Who remembers...women in headscarves to cover their hair rollers....dryers, heated rollers, hair straighteners were in short supply in the 60s.

lol yes

no

Pony tails.

yep

Prawn cocktail starter and Black forest gateau desert being a real treat in a restaurant.

it still is as far as i'm concerned

totally

yes, that too

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 pm

I do remember it as idyllic, there were obviously bad times but on the whole I felt so secure family or friends were always at hand to help out. We didn't of course have so much information in those days just regional stuff on the news and a bit of national stuff. I remember once I was quite small but old enough to understand enough to be afraid, our house was situated in the middle of the village so that if you looked out of our living room window you could see right down the road to the  edge of it, one way anyway. A news report that I happened to hear was about a murderer who had escaped from a jail in London and was on the run, for some reason I thought he may make it to our village (I think I'd been watching the Sunday serial of Great Expectations) I was convinced enough for a couple days to sit by the living room window and keep watch in case he came up the road, I didn't  seem to consider he may come in the top end of the village which was more or less behind the house! Not sure what I was going to do if he had turned up. At the time we had a lot of people visiting the village for various reasons, tramps, door to door salesmen, saw my first Sikh in real life that way, he was selling various brushes out of an enormous case, there were many others but he's the only one I really remember, oh and the Encyclopedia salesman, my parents invested in a set for me the year before in my eleven plus year and it was an investment for them. Ice cream was an occassional treat.
I also remember going to wedding receptions in the local halls in a couple of the nearby villages, always the same to eat, ham and tongue with salad then trifle, with a fasinating little glass of sherry for the toasts, which I was eventually allowed a tiny taste of. I also remember children sitting quietly at the tables until every one had finish and we were allowed to move about a bit,. then after a bit of a catch up between the adults it was off home clutching your piece of weddding cake.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Cor I remember all the above.

Playing out all day in the holidays coming in for dinner then out again.

Playing many games like knock done ginger, he, tin tan Tommy and more.

Book and skate, skate with a Dandy/Beano annual on top and going down the hill. Feet were the brakes. I came off many a time. How we missed the cars I don't know, I think we had someone down the bottom to tell us when it was clear. Not many had cars then.

Two balls up against the wall. Also hand stands on the wall and walking down the wall into a crab, brilliant. We just tucked our skirts in our knickers.

Happy days, we were free.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am

All of the above, cars were so scarce coming through our village we could play tennis against the side wall of our house using the white line for scoring and hear any vehicles coming a long way off. It was a great life, we had very little but then we were mainly in good company, we had very few people to envy in what they had, we sort of accepted it and I believe we were more content. There were also the weekly jumble sales where most of us got our everyday clothes from, new clothes were for me twice a year, Easter and Christmas I'd get a set of brand new clothes for summer and winter
with the help of one of my mother's sisters, who had a good job but no family of her own, she helped out with her nephews and nieces all the time, bless her, she was always well dressed and coiffured and very strict, I think most of us were a little afraid of her. These days the village I was born in has posh people inhabiting it, lawyers, architects, doctors ex various shop keepers and the council tax is expensive. It's all gone now whatever that feeling and life was, its all gone.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 am

Vintage wrote:I do remember it as idyllic, there were obviously bad times but on the whole I felt so secure family or friends were always at hand to help out. We didn't of course have so much information in those days just regional stuff on the news and a bit of national stuff. I remember once I was quite small but old enough to understand enough to be afraid, our house was situated in the middle of the village so that if you looked out of our living room window you could see right down the road to the  edge of it, one way anyway. A news report that I happened to hear was about a murderer who had escaped from a jail in London and was on the run, for some reason I thought he may make it to our village (I think I'd been watching the Sunday serial of Great Expectations) I was convinced enough for a couple days to sit by the living room window and keep watch in case he came up the road, I didn't  seem to consider he may come in the top end of the village which was more or less behind the house!  Not sure what I was going to do if he had turned up. At the time we had a lot of people visiting the village for various reasons, tramps, door to door salesmen, saw my first Sikh in real life that way, he was selling various brushes out of an enormous case, there were many others but he's the only one I really remember, oh and the Encyclopedia salesman, my parents invested in a set for me the year before in my eleven plus year and it was an investment for them. Ice cream was an occassional treat.
I also remember going to wedding receptions in the local halls in a couple of the nearby villages, always the same to eat, ham and tongue with salad then trifle, with a fasinating little glass of sherry for the toasts, which I was eventually allowed a tiny taste of. I also remember children sitting quietly at the tables until every one had finish and we were allowed to move about a bit,. then after a bit of a catch up between the adults it was off home clutching your piece of weddding cake.
Your posts here are really interesting Vintage, thank you.
I can just imagine how you felt as a child, watching and waiting for the escaped murderer to appear in your road.

When I was a kid, if we were having a very rare day out to the seaside, I always thought every car on the road was going to the same place we were.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 am

magica wrote:Cor I remember all the above.

Playing out all day in the holidays coming in for dinner then out again.

Playing many games like knock done ginger, he, tin tan Tommy and more.

Book and skate, skate with a Dandy/Beano annual on top and going down the hill. Feet were the brakes. I came off many a time. How we missed the cars I don't know, I think we had someone down the bottom to tell us when it was clear. Not many had cars then.

Two balls up against the wall. Also hand stands on the wall and walking down the wall into a crab, brilliant. We just tucked our skirts in our knickers.

Happy days, we were free.
Only one family had a car in the street where i grew up.
Uncle Charley (all the kids called him that) always seemed to be cleaning and polishing it, I dont think he drove it much.
Lol about skirts tucked in knickers Mags.....I did the same, not sure why, I could never do a handstand or a cartwheel. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:Who remembers...women in headscarves to cover their hair rollers....dryers, heated rollers, hair straighteners were in short supply in the 60s.

lol yes

no

Pony tails.

yep

it still is as far as i'm concerned

totally

yes, that too
Black forest gateau has apparently made a big comeback lately in lots of posh restaurants.
Blasts from the past. 3922118137
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:55 am

Syl wrote:Many things we did as kids have disappeared for the present generation of kids growing up in this technical obsessed world.
A survey now finds that one third of primary school kids have never ridden a bike. scratch
Kids don't play out anymore, it suits the youngsters to be stuck in their rooms playing the latest computer games, it suits the parents because they know they are safe??

We played ropes, ball, hide and seek, just hung out with other kids, getting dirty and doing stuff todays kids would love if they only had the chance.

What other things did you do as a child that todays kids have never had the chance to do?

You are not a kid anymore

Times move on, so I suggest you also understand kids like things better than they did as you as a child

The simple factor is thsi

You have your beliefs

You are welcome to your beliefs

They should never be enforced

Many kids grow up playing computer games, just when many parents grew up playing British Bulldog. Both were and are seen as dangereous

Just the same over anxious people needing something to whinge about

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:20 am

Who's whinging?

Kids dont change that much, their surroundings might, but given the chance most kids still enjoy simple things if they get the opportunity to experience them.

My grandkids have enjoyed foreign holidays in nice hotels.
The holidays they talk most about  are the ones they spent at the caravan, full days just swimming, on the beach, picnicking, no wifi, no Sky TV, nothing fancy.....but they cant wait to go again...and they are 18 and 21 now.
Many of the parents and grandparents we know say exactly the same thing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 am

Syl wrote:Who's whinging?

Kids dont change that much, their surroundings might, but given the chance most kids still enjoy simple things if they get the opportunity to experience them.

My grandkids have enjoyed foreign holidays in nice hotels.
The holidays they talk most about  are the ones they spent at the caravan, full days just swimming, on the beach, picnicking, no wifi, no Sky TV, nothing fancy.....but they cant wait to go again...and they are 18 and 21 now.
Many of the parents and grandparents we know say exactly the same thing.

Well allow kids to enjoy what they enjoy and not  what you used to enjoy, as they might rightly find it a right bore

So what your family has done, is irrelevant to the hundreds of millions of other children around the world

I mean your view is that all kids play computer games and never play outside.

Some kids actually are full time carers for their parents, but yeah, lets stick with the sterotypes that fit your world view here Syl?

Why not eh?

Again, it does not matter what kids do in their spare times, as long as they at least learn have fun and have at least some excercise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 am

One word for this thread

Cultural pessimism

My cure for this, when it does not effect you or your kids

Get over yourself, as you are living in the past

I suggest you start living in the present and start enjoying yourself

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 am

Whats wrong with remembering things you used to do when you were a kid ? Any one who "disses" this must have had a boring childhood !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 am

I sometimes wish I could "rewind" back to the old days, and press "pause" just for a little time !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 am

nicko wrote:Whats wrong with remembering things you used to do when you were a kid ? Any one who "disses" this must have had a boring childhood !

Can you showed me how I dished anyones childhood?

Never did, my premise is on people trying to think they can rewind the clock and force this onto children today

My view, is stop living in the past and start living in the present

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 am

I feel very sorry for you Didge, for someone to be so consistently curmudgeonly you must be so unhappy.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 am

Vintage wrote:I feel very sorry for you Didge, for someone to be so consistently curmudgeonly you must be so unhappy.

So you think me being constructively critical is the bases for unhappiness then?

Being as people have been exactly constructively critical of how children are today based on the past.

I am very happy and I guess also the rest of the posters are including yourself. So your point was poor and misdirection

Not a cranky and very genereous towards people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am

Didge wrote:
nicko wrote:Whats wrong with remembering things you used to do when you were a kid ? Any one who "disses" this must have had a boring childhood !

Never did, my premise is on people trying to think they can rewind the clock and force this onto children today

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.
Its up to parents to offer opportunities to kids, if a child doesn't have the chance to experience the simple things in life he will be content to be glued to his computer and iPhone hour after hour.

The reason I started the thread was because it was in the news yesterday that a third of all primary school kids had never ridden a bike, which prompted the thought what other things did kids of yesteryear do that kids today don't.

What's so wrong with looking back to your childhood with fond memories anyway? You are the only one who has found fault with it.....grumpypants.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 am

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Its up to parents to offer opportunities to kids, if a child doesn't have the chance to experience the simple things in life he will be content to be glued to his computer and iPhone hour after hour.

The reason I started the thread was because it was in the news yesterday that a third of all primary school kids had never ridden a bike, which prompted the thought what other things did kids of yesteryear do that kids today don't.

What's wrong so with looking back to your childhood with fond memories anyway?

Again you claim the simple things in life????

Its based on your subjective view

So what if a third of kids have never ridden a bike. What is the big deal in that?

Seriously?

What next, ice skating?

Roller blading

Skate boarding?

I mean come on, your argument seems to think, its such a bad thing for children not to ride a bike. When to me, its at least going to decrese the chances of a child dying by a road accident. 

I mean in 2016, 8 children riding bikes were killed in road traffic accidents. 309 seriously injured and 1,664 slightly injured.

Again I never said there is anything wrong in looking back, but lets at least do this in perspective for the times. When you were a child, women could still be legally raped by their husbands. Homosexuals had very little rights. Ethnic groups had very little rights. I could go on. So you want to get nostalgic about the past, dont forget also what is abhorant also about the past

Last edited by Didge on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Syl wrote:Many things we did as kids have disappeared for the present generation of kids growing up in this technical obsessed world.

Play on bomb sites, thank God.

Sadly, there are kids in many other parts of the world who still experience this.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Play on bomb sites, thank God.

Sadly, there are kids in many other parts of the world who still experience this.

Sobering thought Fred.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Didge wrote:
Vintage wrote:I feel very sorry for you Didge, for someone to be so consistently curmudgeonly you must be so unhappy.

So you think me being constructively critical is the bases for unhappiness then?

Being as people have been exactly constructively critical of how children are today based on the past.

I am very happy and I guess also the rest of the posters are including yourself. So your point was poor and misdirection

Constructively critical ? think again my friend, more miserable git.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Vintage wrote:
Didge wrote:

Constructively critical ? think again my friend, more miserable git.

So you cannot even be constructive but rude.

That is fine and you have every right to your views on me

Maybe though, you could actually counter them.

Just a thought mind

The reality is this.

There is nothing wrong with being nostaligic and looking back with fond memories, but they are your memories which everyone should cherish. It does not then mean, that then children have to be the same or act as you or others did in the past. I mean what you are poorly doing. Is not even trying to use empathic intelligence. Of course children are at times going to be more interested in computer games. Just as adults are also.

They are fun. What matters is that children are taught that they should be an outlet to left off steam, just as they did, when they went outside and played. I mean you must realise also in the past, parents struggled to get their children to come in from playing outdoors, as they wanted to continue to have fun. Its no different here. There is also nothing stopping parents ensuring or joining in with their children playing outdoors or indoor activities. So when people complain. They do so forgetting they were also a pain to their parents. 

Addicted to wanting to have fun

All that has really changed, is how and what that fun is.

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

What's wrong so with looking back to your childhood with fond memories anyway?

So what if a third of kids have never ridden a bike. What is the big deal in that?

Seriously?

What next, ice skating?

Roller blading

Skate boarding?

I mean come on, your argument seems to think, its such a bad thing for children not to ride a bike. When to me, its at least going to decrese the chances of a child dying by a road accident. 

I mean in 2016, 8 children riding bikes were killed in road traffic accidents. 309 seriously injured and 1,664 slightly injured.

Again I never said there is anything wrong in looking back, but lets at least do this in perspective for the times. When you were a child, women could still be legally raped by their husbands. Homosexuals had very little rights. Ethnic groups had very little rights. I could go on. So you want to get nostalgic about the past, dont forget also what is abhorant also about the past

Trust you to put a downer on this thread.

No ones moaning about what kids do now, just remembering our childhood.

Did you ever have one or were you straight in as a put down.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm

magica wrote:
Didge wrote:

Seriously?

What next, ice skating?

Roller blading

Skate boarding?

How is it putting a downer here

Actually the starting point was going off about how less children ride bikes

It then went off this to lay claim that things were better in the past for people here.

Neglecting that it was not better for homosexual kids in the past and certainly not for many girls or women

Hardly any cases back then on child sex abuse came to court

No man was ever convicted of rape of his wife

The only thing I see here, is again you acting annoyed over what?

Me pointing out again people thinking the past was some how good, based off that they did as a child. Neglecting the fact, have you ever asked a child what they actually like. Maybe far removed from what you once did?

So grow up and learn this is a debate forum

So as I said to Vintage, I will say to you

The reality is this.

There is nothing wrong with being nostaligic and looking back with fond memories, but they are your memories which everyone should cherish. It does not then mean, that then children have to be the same or act as you or others did in the past. I mean what you are poorly doing. Is not even trying to use empathic intelligence. Of course children are at times going to be more interested in computer games. Just as adults are also.

They are fun. What matters is that children are taught that they should be an outlet to left off steam, just as they did, when they went outside and played. I mean you must realise also in the past, parents struggled to get their children to come in from playing outdoors, as they wanted to continue to have fun. Its no different here. There is also nothing stopping parents ensuring or joining in with their children playing outdoors or indoor activities. So when people complain. They do so forgetting they were also a pain to their parents. 

Addicted to wanting to have fun

All that has really changed, is how and what that fun is.

What you might have found fun in the past, is likely, if you grew up as a kid today. You would also find computer games also fun. More than playing outside

I mean we just won in the last couple of Olympics many medals. This would never have been achieved. If not for the fact, clearly children are encouraged to outdoor activities

Last edited by Didge on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm

my childhood weekends were quite orderly and routine

saturday morning early we were all up, my mum and dad went off to get the weekend shopping and me and my brothers had various chores to complete. when they got back we got pocket money and disappeared to the little shop round the corner to stock up on comics and sweets. lunch was always crusty bread and cheese with salad and pickled onions a sort of ploughmans lunch. after lunch we did whatever we wanted but saturday night saw us all drinking lemonade and having crisps while watching the two ronnies or variety programme or some such.

sunday was early morning swimming then church, then roast dinner (we always had ice cream on sundays from the ice cream van). sunday afternoon was normally going for a walk in a forest somewhere or to the coast (providing there was no football on telly)

back in the day, you always knew when it was a sunday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Didge wrote:
magica wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being nostaligic and looking back with fond memories,  

that's good then, cos that's all anyone was doing on here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm

gelico wrote:
my childhood weekends were quite orderly and routine

saturday morning early we were all up, my mum and dad went off to get the weekend shopping and me and my brothers had various chores to complete.  when they got back we got pocket money and disappeared to the little shop round the corner to stock up on comics and sweets.  lunch was always crusty bread and cheese with salad and pickled onions a sort of ploughmans lunch.  after lunch we did whatever we wanted but saturday night saw us all drinking lemonade and having crisps while watching the two ronnies or variety programme or some such.

sunday was early morning swimming then church, then roast dinner (we always had ice cream on sundays from the ice cream van).  sunday afternoon was normally going for a walk in a forest somewhere or to the coast (providing there was no football on telly)

back in the day, you always knew when it was a sunday

10p bag of sweets?

I am glad Sunday's changed

I hated going to church

I am glad that there ended up being a social life with comedy clubs ect on a Sunday

We always had family time at any meal time. We never had a tele for years and when we did, It was never allowed on at dinner. Except for two reasons. The Olympics and The World Cup.

I am glad you can look back at this Gelico and it reminds me of my childhood. I spent many a day with my siblings and friends in the park or on the stree. But I also remember when Atari first came out and one of my working brothers bought this as a Christmas present for the rest of the family. We never needed to go out much after that. Or would when we played board games like "Risk", "Monopoly", "Campaign", "Runequest (role playing)" etc. They kept us entertained, but we also still played many sports. Which is the thing and only problem I find today. That there is a lack and instilled belief to succeed in sports by a number of parents and teachers. I had this at school and had my siblings as all great long distance runners and walkers. I was great at football and swimming. A difficult combination, to train for.

So the point is more on instilling a belief to win today at sports, where now its drummed into children about taking part by teachers and parents. Its taken away the incentive for many children to want to win and succeed

Last edited by Didge on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm

gelico wrote:
Didge wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being nostaligic and looking back with fond memories,  

that's good then, cos that's all anyone was doing on here

Okay, but did I answer the first point that was also about complaining that children do not do certain things?

I mean thats good how you forgot that post and now think its bad, because the rest of you got nostalgic, thinking I cannot challenge the first thread?

So, can I not now make a view, on the first post, because the rest of you, want to take a trip down memory lane?

Seriously?

So its not what was everyone was doing and I never onced attacked people for their memories did I?

How about you also allow me to make my points eh?

Cos I not being a wind bag, as some of you are here, simple by challenging percieved views

Happy with that, or do I have to conform to you and others whinging that I express my opinions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

I have no idea what you're babbling about, didge - to be honest

Blasts from the past. 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:56 pm

gelico wrote:

I have no idea what you're babbling about, didge - to be honest

Blasts from the past. 2190311264

Maybe you have gone so far back in time, you are thinking like a child

Who knows

All I know, is you, and other ladies have whinged because i expressed views, based on the first post and how some of you have clearly just watched the good film "Blast from the past"

I have no idea why some of you come to a forum, and then whinge, when people make views, that dont fit into your comfort zone

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Didge it was just a fun thread, people writing their memories not debate.

Join in with the fun, not making statements all the time
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm

magica wrote:Didge it was just a fun thread, people writing their memories not debate.

Join in with the fun, not making statements all the time

Have I even stopped those memories being posted?

No

How about you allow me to express my views then also, as I not stopping any of you doing so?

Am I Magica?

I love reading them, its quite nostalgic to read, but surely I can express my views on this?

Seriously?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Iam going to ask one simple question

I have seen a mountain of antisemitism from Veya

Its always been allowed to stand

I have to accept that and do, considering the forum owner also allows antisemitism to stand. What I do is challenge his antisemitism

I Mean what sort of person posts a cartoon on a thread of antisemitism and uses and classes Anne Frank as not only a slut, but a Jewish slut?

Someone who hates Jews or more so me. The later to get at me. Which if true shows how sad and pathetic they are, because they are proving they are anti-semitic. As they are using the Holocaust as a lightning rod for shock humour. Veya is quintessentially racist and hateful to Israeli Jews and Zionists. People who want a historical homeland. His hate never extends to Islamism. Something far removed that is forcing beliefs. We have jews rightfully reclaim lands from colonial Arab conquerers. In any given situation if European as the colonialists. Veya would condemn the Europeans. When Jews return to their ancestral home. He claims, they are colonialists. That is how fucked up and hateful he is.

Now I put up with daily his hate and Veya is hateful, he sides with terrorists and calls Europeans "Hill shepherds", witch is in reference to demean and be racist towards Europeans and Ben allows hatred and racism against people labelled as white. It shows Bens double standards, because all racism and hate is wrong. As racism against people labelled as black is wrong and Ben allows Veya to constantly be racist and xenophobic to people labbelled white

To me as someone who hates racism and homophobia, sexism etc. I have to put up with this leftist haters doing this daily

I grew a pair, and learnt to understand the best way to comabt this leftist liars, is to expose their hate and constantly ridicule their hate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:17 pm

When we became old enough we'd get the bus to the nearest town and go to the 'pictures'. There were three cinemas we could go to, the posh one only showed the latest films and was always busy, then the was another who showed the same films as the posh one but a few weeks later, you'd get your ticket and settle down for the evening, local adverts to watch - and have a giggle at, the Newsreel, always interesting then the 'B' movie, then the main event. Those two were for Friday or Saturday nights before we were old enough to get into discos. Sunday nights were reserved for the 'fleapit' very cheap, you'd be running out of pocket money by then, it always showed horror films on Sunday and the audience was full of people making funny remarks which would have everyone laughing. Maybe a bag of chips or scrumps on the way home. Great days in many ways, although for our families life was generally difficult when you think about it.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:58 pm

A visit to the "flicks", a packet of Woodbines, bag of Chips, and still have change from half a crown Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

Didge wrote:Iam going to ask one simple question

I have seen a mountain of antisemitism from Veya

Its always been allowed to stand

I have to accept that and do, considering the forum owner also allows antisemitism to stand. What I do is challenge his antisemitism

I Mean what sort of person posts a cartoon on a thread of antisemitism and uses and classes Anne Frank as not only a slut, but a Jewish slut?

Someone who hates Jews or more so me. The later to get at me. Which if true shows how sad and pathetic they are, because they are proving they are anti-semitic. As they are using the Holocaust as a lightning rod for shock humour. Veya is quintessentially racist and hateful to Israeli Jews and Zionists. People who want a historical homeland. His hate never extends to Islamism. Something far removed that is forcing beliefs. We have jews rightfully reclaim lands from colonial Arab conquerers. In any given situation if European as the colonialists. Veya would condemn the Europeans. When Jews return to their ancestral home. He claims, they are colonialists. That is how fucked up and hateful he is.

Now I put up with daily his hate and Veya is hateful, he sides with terrorists and calls Europeans "Hill shepherds", witch is in reference to demean and be racist towards Europeans and Ben allows hatred and racism against people labelled as white. It shows Bens double standards, because all racism and hate is wrong. As racism against people labelled as black is wrong and Ben allows Veya to constantly be racist and xenophobic to people labbelled white

To me as someone who hates racism and homophobia, sexism etc. I have to put up with this leftist haters doing this daily

I grew a pair, and learnt to understand the best way to comabt this leftist liars, is to expose their hate and constantly ridicule their hate

Wrong thread for this sort of rant. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Vintage wrote:When we became old enough we'd get the bus to the nearest town and go to the 'pictures'. There were three cinemas we could go to, the posh one only showed the latest films and was always busy, then the was another who showed the same films as the posh one but a few weeks later, you'd get your ticket and settle down for the evening, local adverts to watch - and have a giggle at, the Newsreel, always interesting then the 'B' movie, then the main event. Those two were for Friday or Saturday nights before we were old enough to get into discos. Sunday nights were reserved for the 'fleapit' very cheap, you'd be running out of pocket money by then, it always showed horror films on Sunday and the audience was full of people making funny remarks which would have everyone laughing. Maybe a bag of chips or scrumps on the way home. Great days in many ways, although for our families life was generally difficult when you think about it.

Going to the pictures was one of the highlights of the week for us too.
When I was young my mum would take me, I can still remember some of the great family films we watched together.

It didn't cost an arm and a leg to take the family to the flicks in those days, and like you say, each cinema had their own personality in a way, multi complexes were a thing for the future.

Vintage, have a thanks for the smashing posts you have contributed to this thread....happy memories.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 pm

nicko wrote:A visit to the "flicks",   a packet of Woodbines,  bag of Chips,  and still have change from half a crown Laughing

Half a crown could buy a great night out back then. Laughing

I can remember the day decimalisation was introduced in the UK. I was very young, working in a nightclub behind the bar, everyone, staff and customers alike were relying on everyone else to be honest with the money exchanges....we soon got the hang of it though.
Odd how everything suddenly shot up in price though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next