NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clean homes cause cancer

3 posters

Go down

Clean homes cause cancer  Empty Clean homes cause cancer

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 am

RAISING kids in ultra-clean homes increases their risk of developing the most common form of childhood cancer, a major review found.

Failing to breastfeed, giving birth via C-section and cocooning babies away from other tots also make it more likely.

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is preventable if children’s immune systems are “primed” by their first birthday, experts said.

This can be done by exposing them to germs through breastfeeding, vaginal birth, or playing with dirty toys and other kids. The findings are published in the journal Nature Reviews Cancer.

Study leader professor Mel Greaves, who has studied the disease for 30 years, said: “Most cases of childhood leukemia are likely to be preventable.

“New parents should be less fussy about common infections and encourage social contact in the first year of life.”

“They should let their baby mix with as many children as possible — play with the same toys, touch each other. I’d also encourage breastfeeding.”

Kids can only develop the disease if they are born with a particular genetic mutation, which occurs randomly in one in 20 pregnancies.

But it is “triggered” when a child, who has not been exposed to bugs in the first year of their life, catches a viral infection, such as flu.

more at source
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/kids-raised-in-ultraclean-homes-face-greater-risk-of-leukemia-study/news-story/292b4d0413a23455a1b87c4b78ffbf2e
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Clean homes cause cancer  Empty Re: Clean homes cause cancer

Post by eddie Fri May 25, 2018 8:05 pm

I actually dont get it. How can being clean cause cancer?
I’m not saying though, that some people aren’t way OTT with cleaning, I’d agree with that sentiment.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 pm

eddie wrote:I actually dont get it. How can being clean cause cancer?
I’m not saying though, that some people aren’t way OTT with cleaning, I’d agree with that sentiment.

It's not being clean which is the issue.

Delayed infection hypothesis
There is some evidence that a common infection, such as influenza, may indirectly promote emergence of ALL.[6][4] The delayed-infection hypothesis states that ALL results from an abnormal immune response to infection in a person with genetic risk factors. Delayed development of the immune system due to limited disease exposure may result in excessive production of lymphocytes and increased mutation rate during an illness. Several studies have identified lower rates of ALL among children with greater exposure to illness early in life. Very young children who attend daycare have lower rates of ALL. Evidence from many other studies looking at disease exposure and ALL is inconclusive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_lymphoblastic_leukemia#Cause
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm

You’re gonna get a virus or a bug if you’re gonna get it, let’s face it. I have spent years cleaning up the vomit of my kids when they’ve had bugs (and my ex was always bloody getting sickness bugs from work) and I never, ever caught them.
I think some people are more susceptible to certain illnesses. Some people are always getting colds and I never do - though I get a headache and achey limbs for a day so I may get a “weak” version of it.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 8:52 pm

eddie wrote:You’re gonna get a virus or a bug if you’re gonna get it, let’s face it. I have spent years cleaning up the vomit of my kids when they’ve had bugs (and my ex was always bloody getting sickness bugs from work) and I never, ever caught them.
I think some people are more susceptible to certain illnesses. Some people are always getting colds and I never do - though I get a headache and achey limbs for a day so I may get a “weak” version of it.

The point is that it's thought a delayed immune system because of lack of exposure to bugs, etc, can be a cause for the cancer.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:You’re gonna get a virus or a bug if you’re gonna get it, let’s face it. I have spent years cleaning up the vomit of my kids when they’ve had bugs (and my ex was always bloody getting sickness bugs from work) and I never, ever caught them.

The point is that it's thought a delayed immune system because of lack of exposure to bugs, etc, can be a cause for the cancer.

Yes, I’m gathering that now, but my point is, I don’t think I buy it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, I’m gathering that now, but my point is, I don’t think I buy it.

I'm not convinced either tbh.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down