NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barbara Windsor has alzheimers.

5 posters

Go down

Barbara Windsor has alzheimers. Empty Barbara Windsor has alzheimers.

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 pm

London born actress Barbara Windsor has been suffering from dementia for 4 years, her husband and manager revealed today.
The bubbly, cheeky star, now aged 80, has been performing since the age of 12 and is considered to be a genuine national treasure.

So sad.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/701697/barbara-windsor-alzheimers-husband-scott-mitchell-eastenders-cast-carry-on

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Barbara Windsor has alzheimers. Empty Re: Barbara Windsor has alzheimers.

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Just in case someone has no idea who she is, this is her in one of her trademark 'Carry on' saucy roles when she was young.
She later went on to be a more serious actress.
Barbara Windsor has alzheimers. Dame-Barbara-Windsor-age-80-Carry-On-husband-young-photos-1023766
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 pm

It's horrible to hear of anyone with that crippling and disabling illness. She's 80 so was lucky to get to that age before it struck. I hope its something I never get.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm

magica wrote:It's horrible to hear of anyone with that crippling and disabling illness. She's 80 so was lucky to get to that age before it struck. I hope its something I never get.

I don't think she was lucky to get to that age without developing dementia Mags, I think anyone of any age is unlucky if they get it.
Its not inevitable that old people will suffer from mental illness.....many people much older than her die with clear minds, its the luck of the draw.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I was curious to what % of people will contact some form of dementia as they age.
Figures are increasing....and set to double in the next 25 years.

"The number of people with dementia in the UK is forecast to increase to over 1 million by 2025 and over 2 million by 2051. This is a worse case scenario, under an assumption that there are no public health interventions and changes are driven by an ageing population alone.

There are over 40,000 people with early-onset dementia (onsest before the age of 65 years) in the UK.

The total population prevalence of dementia among over 65s is 7.1% (based on 2013 population data).

This equals one in every 79 (1.3%) of the entire UK population, and 1 in every 14 of the population aged 65 years and over.

Compared to the 2007 estimates, the current prevalence consensus found there are slightly more people with dementia in the youngest (65 to 69) and oldest (90+) age bands and slightly fewer in the intermediate age groups."

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-us/policy-and-influencing/dementia-uk-report
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Yes but many get it in their 60s or less, that's what I mean. To get to 80 if you've got to get it, is better than being young.

I think Dementia is horrible, as I've said many times.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm

magica wrote:Yes but many get it in their 60s or less, that's what I mean. To get to 80 if you've got to get it, is better than being young.

I think Dementia us horrible, as I've said many times.

Its a horrible illness Mags, it's like losing someone years before they actually die.

I posted some figures above.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm

It is, my nan had it, she lived to 95, we lost her years before with it. I wished many times she could pass, she had no quality of life, its heart breaking.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 pm

If anyone has been reading in the papers or listening to the reports  today about the news that was released yersterday of Barbara Windsor suffering from Alzheimers.. it's really sad.

She now is not always aware of who her husband of many years is, gets confused about whether she is married, and has started to act odd when out.

She worries and asks him 'do the public know I'm not well' sometimes. Crying or Very sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Aww always sad, dementia.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Shame its horrible to see someone vital loose their way like that. We looked after my mother in law, a very determined and opinionated woman (cough) for 12 years, it was increasingly difficult because of how those characteristics manifested themselves in the condition.
In other words she was difficult before but after----------
It was still sad to see her going down hill. We'd sit for a while in the evenings talking about many years past as if it had just happened, that made her happy and animated again. In respite she was sedated to the eyeballs very unpleasant. Hopefully Babs will have the money for good help.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Always a shame when you see someone so vibrant become so unwell and dependent.

Just as an aside, my late father met her at a party once and they’re shared a saucy encounter..... Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 12, 2018 12:18 am

eddie wrote:Always a shame when you see someone so vibrant become so unwell and dependent.

Just as an aside, my late father met her at a party once and they’re shared a saucy encounter..... Razz
Lol, she always came across as a lady who would be up for a saucy encounter or two.

I bet she was a real fun person to be around, everyone who speaks about her always says how genuine and nice she is, she treats everyone she meets the same, and has no airs and graces.

She sounds lovely.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 12, 2018 12:23 am

Vintage wrote:Shame its horrible to see someone vital loose their way like that. We looked after my mother in law, a very determined and opinionated woman (cough) for 12 years, it was increasingly difficult because of how those characteristics manifested themselves in the condition.
In other words she was difficult before but after----------
It was still sad to see her going down hill. We'd sit for a while in the evenings talking about many years past as if it had just happened, that made her happy and animated again. In respite she was sedated to the eyeballs very unpleasant. Hopefully Babs will have the money for good help.
Thats sad, I think some peoples personality can change drastically when they are suffering from dementia, but others just seem to be more of what they have always been,,,ie, a quiet person could withdraw even more into themselves, or a more forceful personality  can be quite intimidating without normal social constraints to stop them.

When my mum was in the nursing home one man had to be removed because he thought nothing of whacking the other people with his stick.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 am

Alzheimers, the cruel disease where the body outlives the mind. Strikes seemingly randomly and must be a very scary, lonely disease for the sufferer.

She has worked solidly for over 60 years. So one assumes she's put something by for a rainy day? It's about to get VERY 'rainy' - nursing homes don't come cheap.

She once fraternised with murderous gangsters - maybe the friends & relatives of these crooks could chip in if funds are low.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 am

I don't buy into this myth that she was a national treasure. She wasn't a very good actress imo. Certainly not a patch on the other great EastEnders matriachs - the formidable Mo Slater, Pauline Fowler and Pat Butcher.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 12, 2018 11:53 am

Jules wrote:I don't buy into this myth that she was a national treasure. She wasn't a very good actress imo.  Certainly not a patch on the other great EastEnders  matriachs - the formidable Mo Slater, Pauline Fowler and Pat Butcher.

The label 'National treasure' is banded about quite a lot nowadays, but I do think she probably deserves the title.
She has been performing in this country for almost 70 years, self styled and self made (with help from a very over bearing mother)
She may not be in the Meryl Streep class of acting, but she is real, honest, likeable, fun and feisty, and she seems to be a what you see is what you get kind of woman, and that's very appealing to audiences.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat May 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Syl wrote:
Jules wrote:I don't buy into this myth that she was a national treasure. She wasn't a very good actress imo.  Certainly not a patch on the other great EastEnders  matriachs - the formidable Mo Slater, Pauline Fowler and Pat Butcher.

The label 'National treasure' is banded about quite a lot nowadays, but I do think she probably deserves the title.
She has been performing in this country for almost 70 years, self styled and self made (with help from a very over bearing mother)
She may not be in the Meryl Streep class of acting, but she is real, honest, likeable, fun and feisty, and she seems to be a what you see is what you get kind of woman, and that's very appealing to audiences.

I think the reason I feel lukewarm about her is because there are so many others who appear better than her - I gave some examples.

My best soap character by a million miles was Blanche in Corrie. A total legend!! Where was her damehood (and she did not hobnob with ruthless gangsters!)

BW's 5 abortions do not endear her either. (Even tho I've nothing against abortions per se, and I'm aware it's no one's business.) But 5?

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Blanche was a brilliant character, Maggie  Jones who played her, played her to perfection.
Maybe she didn't get any honours because, brilliant though she was, she didn't have a body of work anywhere near as long or as varied as Barbara Windsor.

Five abortions are excessive, and she regretted them, she spoke openly about them.
I suppose if we dissect anyones private life, if they have been honest about their behaviour, and not tried to hide it as so many do.....not many would come out smelling of roses.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Her 'warts-&-all' book earned her megabucks. She was an astute businesswoman.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Maybe she wrote it, as many people do write their autobiography, to face her demons and come clean with the public, who she always felt she owed a lot to....who knows.
The fact that it made her money proves how popular she is.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down