NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male suicide is in the news again.

2 posters

Go down

Male suicide is in the news again. Empty Male suicide is in the news again.

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks to Brit soap Coronation street showing the sudden suicide of one of its most popular characters last night.
It was handled well, producers and actors involved worked with organisations including the Samaritans to treat the storyline with thoughtfulness.

In the UK, over 80 men a week take their own lives, that is three times the number of women who commit suicide,
it's the biggest single cause of death  of men under 45.

This has got people talking, it's being discussed on radio phone ins, it seems everyone knows someone who has killed themselves, and many feel guilt that they didn't see it coming so were unable to help.

"Shocking statistics reveal 84 men take their own life each week.
A suicide statistics report, released last year, by the Samaritans showed there were 6,639 suicides in the UK and the Republic of Ireland (ROI) in 2015.
Of that figure 4,997 were men, meaning 75 per cent of all suicides in 2015 in the UK and the ROI were committed by men.
Despite it being the biggest killer of men under the age of 45, the age group which had the highest rates of suicide were aged between 40 – 44 in the UK."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5911685/male-suicide-rates-uk-awareness-the-samaritans-2018/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Male suicide is in the news again. Empty Re: Male suicide is in the news again.

Post by magica Thu May 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes I was against Corrie doing this at first, but it was done to show how men never discuss their emotions. I hope this helps men everywhere who are depressed and feel they're on their own, they're not. Please speak to someone, let it out.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 5:11 pm

The figures for male suicide in the UK, and probably other so called rich nations, are alarming.
Men so often bottle things up, its a macho thing I think....they don't admit they are depressed, stressed, anxious etc, unlike women who generally talk a lot more about their feelings.

I thought the way Corrie handled it was brilliant. They concentrated on the aftermath instead of sensationalising the actual act, and it is the aftermath of a suicide that's so devastating.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu May 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Yes it is, and so many blame themselves for not seeing the depression.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 10, 2018 5:32 pm

I cant think of anything worse than losing a family member to suicide, especially a youngster.

I have known a woman who committed suicide, and known of a few others, it's just so final, and I'm sure sometimes it's a cry for help that goes too far....but then it's too late.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down