NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated

3 posters

Go down

Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated Empty Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Barbara Bush, who died Tuesday at the age of 92, has been remembered as a dutiful spouse and a proud mother to two conservative presidents. Bush’s actual influence on their policy views has mostly been opaque, with the conspicuous exception of a story shared in 2010 by George W. Bush upon the release of his memoir. W. said his mother once showed him her miscarried fetus “in a jar,” which turned him against abortion for life. It’s an unfortunate anecdote, not least because Barbara Bush’s legacy on reproductive freedom is hardly that of a pro-life proponent. In fact, her outspoken opposition to politicizing abortion was a significant departure from both her son’s ardent anti-abortion politics and those of her husband, George H.W. Bush.

During H.W. Bush’s presidential campaigns, Bush would coyly decline to answer questions about her personal views on abortion. “I’m not going to tell you my opinion,” she’d say to reporters, or, “I’m not running for President, so I am not going to tell you my position on abortion. But I would love to tell you what George’s is.” Many heard this as a tacit admission that she supported abortion rights. If she agreed with her husband’s anti-abortion stance, which was the far more accepted position within their party, why wouldn’t she just say so? Her reticence on the issue was a very quiet appeal to pro-choice Republicans and independents who might have otherwise felt uncomfortable voting for her husband. It was also rather brave: In 1988, when he won the presidential election, Republican support for abortion rights was lower than it had ever been or has ever been since.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/barbara-bush-once-told-the-gop-to-ease-up-its-anti-abortion-policies.html

Really never understood how some people are so rabidly anti-abortion. Anyone care to enlighten me? (I mean from an actual abortion opponent, I don't want to hear any strawman stuff that I've heard a million times already.)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated Empty Re: Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated

Post by Original Quill Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Barbara Bush had publicly announced she was pro-choice. It was a knife in the Republican heart.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated Empty Re: Did Barbara Bush support abortion rights? It's complicated

Post by eddie Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 pm

I don’t get the anti-abortion argument either so I can’t throw any light on it.
She was from a different generation though and those fuckers had some odd ideas at times.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:38 pm

eddie wrote:I don’t get the anti-abortion argument either so I can’t throw any light on it.
She was from a different generation though and those fuckers had some odd ideas at times.  

The abortion debate stems from the belief that an unborn child is a human being, deserving of all rights and privileges of a person and citizen. The problem is, no one has ever determined at what point life begins. Why the point of conception? It's an arbitrary, moral decision, having no basis in fact or science. It's really a Roman Catholic idea, going back to the day when the Church collected taxes based on population.

If you make the arbitrary decision that life begins at conception, then of course abortion is murder. That is how many RW'ers justify killing of OB's who perform abortions. Eye for an eye, says them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down