NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French'

4 posters

Go down

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Empty Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French'

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:55 pm

A waiter fired for being "aggressive, rude and disrespectful" has insisted there was nothing wrong with his manner - he was just being “French”.

Deserved or not, France’s reputation for producing surly waiters who eye customers with suspicion, indeed disdain, is known the world over and has stood the test of time.

Now one waiter has taken that reputation to another level by appearing to claim that a grumpy “garçon” is a cherished French national trait, not a sign of unprofessional conduct.

Guillaume Rey, who worked at a Vancouver restaurant on Canada's Pacific coast, filed a complaint with British Columbia's Human Rights Tribunal against his former employer, saying he is the victim of "discrimination against my culture".

The restaurant, operated by Cara Operations, accused Mr Rey of breaching its code of conduct; it argued that he persisted in unacceptably rude behaviour despite verbal and written performance reviews and that it had no option but to fire him.

However, Mr Rey said his employer was being culturally colour blind as the French approach just "tends to be more direct and expressive".

Au contraire, his "direct, honest and professional personality” was, he insisted, drummed into him at French hospitality school and he was simply following their guidelines.

Grumpiness aside, both parties agreed Mr Rey was good at his job.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/26/waiter-fired-rude-says-just-french/

Back to top Go down

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Empty Re: Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French'

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Hahaha...that is sooo true.  Rudeness is just a hallmark with waiters in Paris.  Mon dieu, so manee stupideed Angleesh I must put up weeth.

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Quinessential-french-waiter-rianna-stackhouse

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Empty Re: Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French'

Post by eddie Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Doesn’t matter what he thought he was being, rudeness isn’t a part of any job description unless you’re into S&M.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:37 pm

He sounds like an arrogant sod to me.

When we went to Paris a few years ago I found the waiters to be really nice and patient.
One (knowing we were English) waved and shouted 'Tara' when his shift finished....he looked like a younger version of Lionel Blaire, but he was definitely French. Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' 0nhRCnYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:Hahaha...that is sooo true. Rudeness is just a hallmark with waiters in Paris. Mon dieu, so manee stupideed Angleesh I must put up weeth.

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Quinessential-french-waiter-rianna-stackhouse

Good grief that is NOT an approachable demeanour!! snob
Got arrogance & snootiness written all over that visage.
He'd probably instantly frogmarch you out the building if you ever did owt chavvy .... like request some ketchup for your canapes & hors doevres. snobby

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Offtopic but his pic reminded me of another French guy with an equally haughty look. I was reading up about Queen Victoria's children recently and I came across this pic of a napoleonic prince who requested marriage to princess Beatrice,  QV's youngest daughter. She turned him down! king

Waiter fired for being too rude says he was 'just being French' Napoleon_prince_imperial_large

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In all seriousness tho, I'm sure this is just lazy stereotyping. Most people were quite polite and helpful to us during all our holidays in France! Smile

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down