NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oakland cafe won't serve cops

Go down

Oakland cafe won't serve cops Empty Oakland cafe won't serve cops

Post by Maddog Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

"My understanding is they're not going to serve police officers," Gallo said.

"I don't agree with that, 100 percent," Gallo added. "I think we need to work together, not against each other."

The cafe opened several months ago at the corner of East 27th Street and Fruitvale Avenue. It isn't your typical coffee shop. Its name is Spanish for "until death."

It's a worker-owned collective with a decidedly anti-establishment bent. A mural and utility box outside the cafe decriy fatal police shootings and law enforcement militarization.

In other words, it probably won't host the next "Coffee with a Cop," especially if it doesn't serve cops.
"I don't think it's fair - they should," said Mildred Jelks of Oakland. "They're protecting them. If somebody breaks in there, who are they gonna call? The police."

But Tenaya Gunter Brown, also an Oakland resident, disagreed.

"I think that if a group of people don't feel safe with a police officer currently on duty, coming into a space, they want people in this neighborhood to be able to feel safe, coming into their space. then that is a choice they should be able to make."

http://www.fox4news.com/news/oakland-cafe-wont-serve-cops

I'm ok with this. What I'm not OK with is a business has a right to discriminate based on the class of the individual. Members of a protected class cannot be discriminated against. Those not in a protected class can. It flies in the face of equal protection under the law.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down