NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far do you walk every day?

+6
Ben Reilly
HoratioTarr
eddie
Maddog
Raggamuffin
Syl
10 posters

Go down

How far do you walk every day? Empty How far do you walk every day?

Post by Syl Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm

So...a campaign has been launched to urge people to exercise more, walking especially is being encouraged.
10,000 steps a day is the target they are setting for every day in March.. Shocked

I bought a pedometer so I could keep track of my walking steps per day....so far I have peaked at 5,000....half the recommended amount....and that's more walking than I usually do in winter.

How far do you reckon you walk in a day?  
How far do you walk every day? Graphics-walking-046875
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How far do you walk every day? Empty Re: How far do you walk every day?

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Miles. I walk around a lot at work. I have a pedometer so I might measure how far I walk.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Not as much as I should, but I ride a bike. As it warms up I will get in the 100 mile a week range.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Miles and miles. I walk at work, to the bus stop at work and everywhere or anywhere I want to go. I don’t drive, never have, so I am really physically quite fit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:54 pm

eddie wrote:Miles and miles. I walk at work, to the bus stop at work and everywhere or anywhere I want to go. I don’t drive, never have,  so I am really physically quite fit.

You don't drive?

Weirdo! cyclops tongue Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Miles. I walk around a lot at work. I have a pedometer so I might measure how far I walk.

The steps don't half mount up...I only sauntered round my local precinct then did a food shop....and I almost did half my allotted amount.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Maddog wrote:Not as much as I should, but I ride a bike. As it warms up I will get in the 100 mile a week range.  

I'm a bit of a fair weather walker and exerciser too, its hard to build up motivation when its freezing..
100 miles cycling pw is good.....and if we do the 10,000 steps per day that adds up to between 30 and 35 miles a week too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Syl wrote:So...a campaign has been launched to urge people to exercise more, walking especially is being encouraged.
10,000 steps a day is the target they are setting for every day in March.. Shocked

I bought a pedometer so I could keep track of my walking steps per day....so far I have peaked at 5,000....half the recommended amount....and that's more walking than I usually do in winter.

That's not bad for an older person. I've got a fitness tracker and I've done the 10,0000 but it's a killer, and takes a good few hours. I take the dog out every day and do between 4,000 and 6,000 per day. Add housework and shopping onto that and that's enough for me thanks very much.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:So...a campaign has been launched to urge people to exercise more, walking especially is being encouraged.

That's not bad for an older person.   I've got a fitness tracker and I've done the 10,0000 but it's a killer, and takes a good few hours.   I take the dog out every day and do between 4,000 and 6,000 per day.   Add housework and shopping onto that and that's enough for me thanks very much.

I think we are around the same age Laughing
I don't tend to let age get in the way of what I want to do anyway, I don't think that's the right attitude....I didn't kayak till I was over 60, and I'm pretty good at it. I am probably as active now as I have ever been....since giving up work I took up cycling and  walking more, granted I do more in the summer than in the winter, oddly I don't vary in weight though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

That's not bad for an older person.   I've got a fitness tracker and I've done the 10,0000 but it's a killer, and takes a good few hours.   I take the dog out every day and do between 4,000 and 6,000 per day.   Add housework and shopping onto that and that's enough for me thanks very much.

I think we are around the same age Laughing
I don't tend to let age get in the way of what I want to do anyway, I don't think that's the right attitude....I didn't kayak till I was over 60, and I'm pretty good at it. I am probably as active now as I have ever been....since giving up work I took up cycling and  walking more, granted I do more in the summer than in the winter, oddly I don't vary in weight though.

I think 5000 steps is just fine
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:Miles and miles. I walk at work, to the bus stop at work and everywhere or anywhere I want to go. I don’t drive, never have,  so I am really physically quite fit.

You don't drive?

Weirdo!  cyclops tongue Wink

I have been called that and worse, many times.
I grew up in London then lived in and around the green belt area so never needed to drive.

I love walking actually. Headphones on, block out the world and off I go.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You don't drive?

I grew up in London then lived in and around the green belt area so never needed to drive.

I think I have almost run you over a couple of times on my bike, because you have your headphones on and can't hear me saying "on your left! Smile
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You don't drive?

I think I have almost run you over a couple of times on my bike, because you have your headphones on and can't hear me saying "on your left! Smile

Hey! I’m very road-savvy Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 pm

me too. Although I have got a driving licence but haven't driven for years. Fortunately, I enjoy walking

i did a care round the other day and the woman with me had a pedometer on and said we had clocked up 25k+ steps. I looked it up on google and it was 9.47 milels.

Not sure how they work that out though. I mean Arnie Whassisface and Danny DeVito could both do 25,000 steps but they wouldn't cover the same distance now would they?

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 pm

I was really pleased today to see that I got in 500 steps!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:41 pm

When I was living in Sydney I used to do 10 to 15 thousand, but I used to catch public transport to work and walk the dogs more. now I live in the country I drive to work and the dogs have plenty of yard to get their exercise, I'm not sure how many but it would be quite a bit less probably only 5000 or so
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:15 am

How far do you walk every day? 4251754078

How far I might walk can vary a lot from day to day...

Many days it will be way less than 5km,  probably less than 5,000 steps (which equates to about 4km or so..).

Other days I can easily walk 10 or 15 km, which would mean around 12 to 18,000 + steps..

Get out and do some serious hiking, and you could easily clock up over 20 kms around here, which would add up to 30,000 steps or more on a long day --  a long time since I've done that, though.  My average over recent years will probably be well under 10,000 these days --  I really do need to get out and double (even triple..) my current averages..

As for driving, I don't drive every day, but my license does say that I can drive anything with two axles with a gross weight up to 16 tonnes.         How far do you walk every day? 3356277174
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 am

I'm a biker, too.  I have a Cannondale SR-2000 for road work, and a Trek Mountain for off-road.  The two are different kinds of exercise...so, no common denominator.

My place backs up to the Golden Gate Recreation Area, so I get rides like this...

How far do you walk every day? Gopr0254-33

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm

I pride myself in being able to drive anywhere. I passed my driving test in Slough FFS!

I used to love driving round London, the sheer maniac feel of it. And if you can drive there you can drive feckin' anywhere. I can't bear these weedy women drivers who let us other gals down...won't drive on the motorway, too scared to drive abroad...can't parallel park. Don't get behind a wheel then.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:44 pm

I tried twice to learn to drive. I found that I drive far too fast and my mind wanders off far too often for me to be able to concentrate.
I also got majorly pissed off when my driving instructor kept making me go round this particular roundabout.
There was nothing round, about it.
It was an oblongabout, a bloody weird shaped oval thing and I wasn’t very good at navigating the shape of it and I kind of mounted it twice...and one of those times I was going a bit too fast.

So. I don’t like driving and driving doesn’t like me.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm

eddie wrote:I tried twice to learn to drive. I found that I drive far too fast and my mind wanders off far too often for me to be able to concentrate.
I also got majorly pissed off when my driving instructor kept making me go round this particular roundabout.
It was an oblongabout, a bloody weird shaped oval thing and I wasn’t very good at navigating the shape of it and I kind of mounted it twice...and one of those times I was going a bit too fast.

to be fair, one should really try to be sober when driving

might seem a bit boring but it's usually safer

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I pride myself in being able to drive anywhere.  I passed my driving test in Slough FFS!  

I used to love driving round London, the sheer maniac feel of it.  And if you can drive there you can drive feckin' anywhere.   I can't bear these weedy women drivers who let us other gals down...won't drive on the motorway, too scared to drive abroad...can't parallel park.    Don't get behind a wheel then.
I hate motorways, and I will only attempt to parallel park if no one else is around.
I wont drive abroad either, the maniacs drive on the wrong side of the road....whats all that about? Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:22 pm

gelico wrote:

me too.  Although I have got a driving licence but haven't driven for years.  Fortunately, I enjoy walking

i did a care round the other day and the woman with me had a pedometer on and said we had clocked up 25k+ steps.  I looked it up on google and it was 9.47 milels.

Not sure how they work that out though.  I mean Arnie Whassisface and Danny DeVito could both do 25,000 steps but they wouldn't cover the same distance now would they?

scratch
Blimey, you must be very fit, thats a long way to walk.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

gelico wrote:

me too.  Although I have got a driving licence but haven't driven for years.  Fortunately, I enjoy walking

i did a care round the other day and the woman with me had a pedometer on and said we had clocked up 25k+ steps.  I looked it up on google and it was 9.47 milels.

Not sure how they work that out though.  I mean Arnie Whassisface and Danny DeVito could both do 25,000 steps but they wouldn't cover the same distance now would they?

scratch

Idea

Those figures you will find on Google are basically bulldust --  primarily because they will have worked on some average/generic pace length..

To work out your actual pace/stride, you need to walk a set number of steps (e.g. 40, 50, or 100 steps --  enough to average out any irregularities in your natural pacing/length of stride..) at a normal walking pace;  measure that distance, then divide it by the number of steps..

Good pedometers will have you go through a set-up function where it measures your stride, and calculates a more accurate distance covered;  whereas a cheap/budget pedometer simply counts the number of steps taken,  then makes some pretty broad (and basically meaningless..) "rough guesses" on "distance" and "calories burnt", calculated on some average figures entered into their basic algorithms.

I know that my natural pace/stride length on flat and even ground, when I'm not tired or fatigued, is just under 80 cm (0.8 metres), so I will take just over 1250 steps to cover 1 kilometre (~ 0.625 miles) --  let's say 1300 steps/kilometre,  which is close enough to 2100 steps to the mile...

So, if I did 25,000 steps, I will have walked close to 19 kms, or over 11 miles..  Assuming it was all flat --  shorter steps over hilly terrain will shorten the distance again (while getting your heart rate up, providing more cardio' benefits, and burning more calories..).

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I pride myself in being able to drive anywhere.  I passed my driving test in Slough FFS!  

I used to love driving round London, the sheer maniac feel of it.  And if you can drive there you can drive feckin' anywhere.   I can't bear these weedy women drivers who let us other gals down...won't drive on the motorway, too scared to drive abroad...can't parallel park.    Don't get behind a wheel then.
I hate motorways, and I will only attempt to parallel park if no one else is around.
I wont drive abroad either, the maniacs drive on the wrong side of the road....whats all that about? Evil or Very Mad

Oh don't set you know who off you colonial racist white hag!! How far do you walk every day? 859118666 How far do you walk every day? 859118666 How far do you walk every day? 2113235493 How far do you walk every day? 3143589420
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am

eddie wrote:I tried twice to learn to drive. I found that I drive far too fast and my mind wanders off far too often for me to be able to concentrate.

Horse and cart? lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 am

Original Quill wrote:I'm a biker, too.  I have a Cannondale SR-2000 for road work, and a Trek Mountain for off-road.  The two are different kinds of exercise...so, no common denominator.

My place backs up to the Golden Gate Recreation Area, so I get rides like this...

How far do you walk every day? Gopr0254-33

Cool

I have a couple of mountain bikes here, and I a kayak for the local creeks, but they haven't seen much use  --  something else I need to get back into...      Embarassed

When it comes to energy consumption/cardio' benefits,  I reckon on :
1 hour running, hard bicycling, serious swimming (e.g over 600 cals/hour..)  ==  2 hours jogging, consistent/steady swimming, steady kayaking/canoeing, steady/mixed bicycling, hill walking/ tramping  ==  3 hours steady walking, aquarobics, easy bicycling, easy paddling  ==  4 hours easy walking, aimless paddling (only ~ 150 --> 160 cals/hour..).
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Horse and cart? lol!

Yeah...but I’d still forget where I’d parked it. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Do you burn more calories if you do it like an Egyptian?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Purchase a Horse-Slapper™️ cart locator.  Then follow the commotion.  Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh don't set you know who off you colonial racist white hag!! How far do you walk every day? 859118666 How far do you walk every day? 859118666 How far do you walk every day? 2113235493 How far do you walk every day? 3143589420

Less of the white if you don't mind, I'm more a pale tan. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:42 pm

According to my pedometer, I did about 19,000 steps yesterday and slightly fewer today. I should be as thin as a rake! Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:According to my pedometer, I did about 19,000 steps yesterday and slightly fewer today. I should be as thin as a rake! Laughing

That's well over 10 miles by my calculations....that's a fair distance.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:According to my pedometer, I did about 19,000 steps yesterday and slightly fewer today. I should be as thin as a rake! Laughing

I walk around a lot at work. I haven't included walking around the house. It'll be a lot less tomorrow anyway. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I walk around a lot at work. I haven't included walking around the house. It'll be a lot less tomorrow anyway. Laughing

I only did 3 thousand today...I was really disappointed. No
In my defence I don't wear it in the house though...so I must have done a lot more really. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm getting a pedometer and sticking it in the car Laughing

Seriously I'm getting one and then going to try to walk as much as I can.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am

I thought you had bad knees! affraid
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

I thought you had bad knees!    affraid

I have something which causes intermittent problems with joints - any joint, not just knees. However, when I don't have it, I'm fine! I take drugs to control it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

Anyway, yesterday I wasn't at work so I did a lot less. I did measure how many steps it took to walk to my favourite cafe and back, and it equated to about two miles, which is about right.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Yesterday we went to York to see grandson, I swear we walked about 5 miles, mainly because we got lost in all the olde worlde streets and couldn't find we had parked the car....I forgot to wear my pedometer though. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I thought you had bad knees!    affraid

I have something which causes intermittent problems with joints - any joint, not just knees. However, when I don't have it, I'm fine! I take drugs to control it.

Yeah, I have knees that play up from time to time. But at the mo, they are fine. The worst problem for me is the old injury from a torn plantar fascia. That gives me gyp.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Syl wrote:Yesterday we went to York to see grandson, I swear we walked about 5 miles, mainly because we got lost in all the olde worlde streets and couldn't find  we had parked the car....I forgot to wear my pedometer though. Rolling Eyes

We went to Haworth yesterday...took the dog. Had a good old walk. What a lovely old atmospheric place that is. So pretty. All cobbles and old church yards and olde worlde shoppes.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:17 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Yesterday we went to York to see grandson, I swear we walked about 5 miles, mainly because we got lost in all the olde worlde streets and couldn't find  we had parked the car....I forgot to wear my pedometer though. Rolling Eyes

We went to Haworth yesterday...took the dog.   Had a good old walk.   What a lovely old atmospheric place that is.  So pretty.  All cobbles and old church yards and olde worlde shoppes.

I love Haworth, some of my cards are still for sale in one of the little gift type shops on the high street.
I got mixed up with Hebden Bridge and Haworth last week.....they are both quaint little villages.
Love it in the summer, lots of nice Tea rooms, and a great park to wander round too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 am

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

We went to Haworth yesterday...took the dog.   Had a good old walk.   What a lovely old atmospheric place that is.  So pretty.  All cobbles and old church yards and olde worlde shoppes.

I love Haworth, some of my cards are still for sale in one of the little gift type shops on the high street.
I got mixed up with Hebden Bridge and Haworth last week.....they are both quaint little villages.
Love it in the summer, lots of nice Tea rooms, and a great park to wander round too.

Hebden Bridge has more shops. Haworth is really just that very steep high street. We ate in the pub that's supposed to be really haunted. Food was great.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Hebden Bridge has more shops.   Haworth is really just that very steep high street.  We ate in the pub that's supposed to be really haunted.  Food was great.

I love both places...Uppermill is another quaint little place we go to a lot.
I know the pub you mean. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Hebden Bridge has more shops.   Haworth is really just that very steep high street.  We ate in the pub that's supposed to be really haunted.  Food was great.

i've spent many a happy hour walking to uppermill, via the garden centre then under the viaduct, along the canal path, across the stepping stones, through the little parkway and into the little high street. quaint library, delightful little tea room - happy days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

my late SIL used to live in Hebden Bridge on a canal boat. they loved it

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

i've spent many a happy hour walking to uppermill, via the garden centre then under the viaduct, along the canal path, across the stepping stones, through the little parkway and into the little high street. quaint library,  delightful little tea room - happy days

We did that very walk yesterday Gelico, though I don't do the stepping stones now I walk round, they make me dizzy.

We usually end up having a bottle of Prosecco and something to eat at Java......its a great place to spend an afternoon summer or winter. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down