NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behind the shutter: How photographer Ronaldo Schemidt captured one of the defining images of the Venezuela crisis

Go down

Behind the shutter: How photographer Ronaldo Schemidt captured one of the defining images of the Venezuela crisis Empty Behind the shutter: How photographer Ronaldo Schemidt captured one of the defining images of the Venezuela crisis

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am

Behind the shutter: How photographer Ronaldo Schemidt captured one of the defining images of the Venezuela crisis TELEMMGLPICT000154276519_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaRL1kC4G7DT9ZsZm6Pe3PehAFAI_f6ud569StXyOKH0
José Víctor Salazar Balza catches fire amid violent clashes with riot police during a protest against president Nicolas Maduro in Caracas CREDIT: RONALDO SCHEMIDT/AFP

José Víctor Salazar Balza is engulfed by flames as he and thousands of other protesters clash with riot police in Caracas.

It is May 3, 2017 and the 28-year-old is one of the many Venezuelans who took to the streets to oppose moves by President Nicolas Maduro widely interpreted as an escalation towards dictatorship.

"A motorcycle of the National Guard exploded during a clash between demonstrators and government forces during a protest on the streets," AFP photographer Ronaldo Schemidt told The Telegraph. "It was lying on the floor, on fire, surrounded by young people. One of them hit the tank, sparking an explosion."

That's when Mr Salazar caught fire. The photographer was standing a few metres away with his back to him. Feeling the heat of the flames, he pulled his camera up, turned around and shot "something".

"All that, took just a few seconds, so I didn’t know what I was shooting. I was moved by instinct, it was very quick. I didn’t stop shooting until I realised what was going on. There was somebody on fire running towards me."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/01/behind-shutter-photographer-ronaldo-schemidt-captured-one-defining/

Back to top Go down