NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm sorta against the death penalty..........

+5
eddie
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
Cass
Maddog
9 posters

Go down

I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... Empty I'm sorta against the death penalty..........

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

But I am willing to make an exception in this case.

As her mother listened on the telephone, 9-year-old Faith Battaglia pleaded with her father.

"No, daddy, please don't, don't do it!" the child begged.

Mary Jane Pearle yelled into the phone for Faith and her 6-year-old sister, Liberty, to run. Then Pearle heard gunshots.

On Thursday, her ex-husband, John David Battaglia is set for execution for the May 2001 slayings of their daughters.

"Merry ... Christmas," Battaglia told Pearle from his Dallas apartment, the words of the holiday greeting derisively divided by an obscenity. She heard more gunshots, then called 911.

Faith was shot three times and Liberty five. Hours later, Battaglia was at a nearby tattoo shop getting two large red roses inked on his left arm to commemorate his daughters. It took four officers to subdue and arrest him when he walked outside. A fully loaded revolver was found in his truck and more than a dozen firearms were recovered from his apartment.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/John-David-Battaglia-Set-to-Die-for-Killing-Daughters-Ages-9-and-6-472007593.html

The execution is set for tomorrow baring the governor stepping in, and that aint happening.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... Empty Re: I'm sorta against the death penalty..........

Post by Syl Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:13 am

Good riddance.
I wish we had the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes.
Its quick, efficient, cheap, and saves the families of the victims of always being reminded that their childs murderer is still enjoying life.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... Empty Re: I'm sorta against the death penalty..........

Post by Cass Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 am

I remember this. He has a little bit of a blank about this does he? No you don’t you utter piece of evil. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Bye.

Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 am

Everybody is for the death penalty, only each wants to call the shots as to who, how and what for.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:Everybody is for the death penalty, only each wants to call the shots as to who, how and what for.

Not everyone is for the death penalty....some say its inhumane.
Then add that they want to see the perpetrator suffer for as long as possible instead of having a quick check out. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Everybody is for the death penalty, only each wants to call the shots as to who, how and what for.

Then add that they want to see the perpetrator suffer for as long as possible instead of having  a quick check out. Rolling Eyes

Let me cross-examine him or her. Eventually, we'll find a place where they will say: Well...maybe in that case...

All people are for the death penalty; you just have to find the conditions.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

What he did was unthinkable. Putting him to death is just revenge.

I prefer them to get life, and given hard labour.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 pm

magica wrote:What he did was unthinkable. Putting him to death is just revenge.

Of course it is.  Revenge is retribution.  Retribution has long been one (perhaps the first) of the four justifications for penalty in criminal justice sanctions: Retribution, Deterrence, Removal, and Rehabilitation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Not true. I'm against the death penalty.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Syl wrote:

Then add that they want to see the perpetrator suffer for as long as possible instead of having  a quick check out. Rolling Eyes

My reasoning is that nobody has the right to kill another person, even a person who has killed others.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Lots of folks are against the death penalty. Quill is just babbling per as usual.

My problem with it is the State often gets the wrong man. I don't have enough faith in them to only kill guilty people. That's why in this case I'm not bothered. There is no question this is the man who killed those girls and it was done to put his wife through hell on earth.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

My reasoning is that nobody has the right to kill another person, even a person who has killed others.

Let's go into the conference room.  i'll find your exceptions and conditions. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

The other issue is that it's so cowardly. I bet the jury wouldn't vote for execution if they were told they had to personally kill the defendant. It's all done remotely whilst nobody is in the room. Chemicals are never directly injected by anyone, and even if someone's shot, nobody knows who fired the fatal bullet.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Lots of folks are against the death penalty. Quill is just babbling per as usual.  

My problem with it is the State often gets the wrong man.  I don't have enough faith in them to only kill guilty people.  That's why in this case I'm not bothered.  There is no question this is the man who killed those girls and it was done to put his wife through hell on earth.  

I'll bet you would not hesitate to use one of your many guns to stop what you thought was a bank robbery, or a someone on a shooting rampage, Redneck. Even if you didn't understand what was going on, you'd come out a-blazin'.

We've all got our own execution style, but the result is the same.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The other issue is that it's so cowardly. I bet the jury wouldn't vote for execution if they were told they had to personally kill the defendant. It's all done remotely whilst nobody is in the room. Chemicals are never directly injected by anyone, and even if someone's shot, nobody knows who fired the fatal bullet.

Gd. point. Yes, the operative word is antiseptically.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:18 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The other issue is that it's so cowardly. I bet the jury wouldn't vote for execution if they were told they had to personally kill the defendant. It's all done remotely whilst nobody is in the room. Chemicals are never directly injected by anyone, and even if someone's shot, nobody knows who fired the fatal bullet.

Ive often thought that too.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:25 pm

I agree. People say stoning is medieval, but many still want the death sentence. Can't have it both ways.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:04 pm

eddie wrote:

For a start the jury dont vote for a death sentence , they vote to find a person guilty or not guilty.
Its up to the legal system to decide what the punishment should be.

And I imagine many people who have lost loved ones through a particularly evil act, like the one in the OP...would be very happy to pull the switch or administer the poison themselves.

Obviously they never will, because its up to the authorities to do that, and that's only right.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 pm

And what is that if it isn't wanting revenge?
You want them to suffer for decades....the death penalty gets rid of them quickly and efficiently.

Which punishment do you think is more revengeful?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

For a start the jury dont vote for a death sentence , they vote to find a person guilty or not guilty.

And I imagine many people who have lost loved ones through a particularly evil act, like the one in the OP...would be very happy to pull the switch or administer the poison themselves.

Obviously they never will, because its up to the authorities to do that, and that's only right.

In the US don't they have juries to decide if the death penalty should be imposed or not?

Pulling a switch is killing someone by remote control. Would they be prepared to stab or strangle the person? I don't actually agree that many people would be prepared to kill someone who murdered their loved one.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

In the US don't they have juries to decide if the death penalty should be imposed or not?

Pulling a switch is killing someone by remote control. Would they be prepared to stab or strangle the person? I don't actually agree that many people would be prepared to kill someone who murdered their loved one.

It's different depending on the state.

I think there are plenty of people that could kill people that murdered their loved one.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think a lot of people who have had their kids raped and murdered would be prepared to kill the one who did it if they could legally do so.
I don't think it would be right....that should be left to the authorities to get rid in a detached and painless way.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Syl wrote:

And what is that if it isn't wanting revenge?
You want them to suffer for decades....the death penalty gets rid of them quickly and efficiently.

Which punishment do you think is more revengeful?

I don't care if its revenge. Death sentence gives them a quick release, I want them to suffer.

Also I don't think anyone could sit and watch a hanging without being affected. The screws when they had to take the accused to the death chamber hated it. They were affected. Someone has to do it, could you in all honesty.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 am

But you say the death penalty is just exacting revenge...then go on to say you  want the guilty to suffer.

My thoughts are I dont care to drag out their suffering, I care more about the victims feelings than the perpetrators.

For eg, take one of the worst child murder cases in the last 50 years, Brady and Hindley, making the headlines for decades and putting the dead childrens families through hell every time....had they been hanged in the 60's the families wouldnt have had to be constantly reminded that they were still around, and in Hindleys case, fighting for her freedom.

I respect your opinion Mags, I just dont agree with it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:57 am

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think a lot of people who have had their kids raped and murdered would be prepared to kill the one who did it if they could legally do so.
I don't think it would be right....that should be left to the authorities to get rid in a detached and painless way.

I'm a bit of a psycho. Not only could I kill someone that did this to my kids, but I could do it to someone who did it to kids I didn't even know.

But I would have to know that they did it. Not just have the state say they did it, but I would have to be sure in my mind that they did it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 am

I get where you're at, but I just can't believe in the death penalty.

I do want them to suffer, if its revenge, so be it. So is death sentence.

I think on this we will have to agree to disagree.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

I'm a bit of a psycho. Not only could I kill someone that did this to my kids, but I could do it to someone who did it to kids I didn't even know.

But I would have to know that they did it. Not just have the state say they did it, but I would have to be sure in my mind that they did it.  

Mags asked if I could honestly do it myself....l dont know, but I would support anyone who was legally entitled to.

Obviously guilt would have to be proven without a shadow of a doubt.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:05 am

magica wrote:I get where you're at, but I just can't believe in the death penalty.

Yep. No problem.

I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... 4086978286
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:12 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Mags asked if I could honestly do it myself....l dont know, but I would support anyone who was legally entitled to.

And the shadow of doubt thing is the problem. I know we have executed innocent people (at least innocent of the crime they were convicted of). We have let people off of death row with new evidence or science being applied. I thinks that's why the people that have to drag people to the chambers probably have some issues. I'm not sure they always think they are dragging a guilty man to his death. In that case the state is doing everyone involved an injustice to act like they are all for "law and order".

However, in this case there is no doubt. If they want to turn him loose in a field with me and my 7mm mag, I'll give him 5 seconds and take him down, clean my rifle and go have a beer.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

And the shadow of doubt thing is the problem. I know we have executed innocent people (at least innocent of the crime they were convicted of). We have let people off of death row with new evidence or science being applied. I thinks that's why the people that have to drag people to the chambers probably have some issues. I'm not sure they always think they are dragging a guilty man to his death. In that case the state is doing everyone involved an injustice to act like they are all for "law and order".  

However, in this case there is no doubt. If they want to turn him loose in a field with me and my 7mm mag, I'll give him 5 seconds and take him down, clean my rifle and go have a beer.  
This case and other cases of child murder, child rape and murder, mass killings, terrorist murders, other cases where there is NO possible doubt, cases where the guilty will never be released...legal execution....not you in a field with a gun. Rolling Eyes

If there is any doubt, and even with advanced dna testing human error can botch things up....then life in prison should be the option.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 am

Syl wrote:
magica wrote:I get where you're at, but I just can't believe in the death penalty.

Yep. No problem.

Haha I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... 859118666
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:47 am

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:
Yep. No problem.

Haha I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... 859118666
Reported for excessive violence. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:27 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

This case and other cases of child murder, child rape and murder, mass killings, terrorist murders, other cases where there is NO possible doubt, cases where the guilty will never be released...legal execution....not you in a field with a gun. Rolling Eyes

If there is any doubt, and even with advanced dna testing human error can botch things up....then life in prison should be the option.

Piñata Style Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
I'm sorta against the death penalty.......... 2347854014
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 am

Syl wrote:But you say the death penalty is just exacting revenge...then go on to say you  want the guilty to suffer.

My thoughts are I dont care to drag out their suffering, I care more about the victims feelings than the perpetrators.

For eg, take one of the worst child murder cases in the last 50 years, Brady and Hindley, making the headlines for decades and putting the dead childrens families through hell every time....had they been hanged in the 60's the families wouldnt have had to be constantly reminded that they were still around, and in Hindleys case, fighting for her freedom.

And that would have been the end of hope for Winnie Johnson. In the end she never found out where Keith was buried, but she had hope whilst Brady and Hindley were still alive. Does executing someone really bring closure anyway? I doubt they need to be reminded of what happened.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You mean you wouldn't necessarily trust a jury to come to the right decision after hearing the evidence? How then would you ever be sure they were guilty?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:57 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

That would make you as bad as him. You would have no excuse for what you did.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

You mean you wouldn't necessarily trust a jury to come to the right decision after hearing the evidence? How then would you ever be sure they were guilty?

Sometimes there is NO doubt at all...eg, this case, in the UK the moors murders, Lee Rigby's killing, numerous cases where guilt has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, where the guilty should never be allowed freedom.

The death penalty should only be given to the most heinous of cases...and that would be up to the judge not the jury to decide if it was ever reintroduced in this country....which I doubt it will be, it seems to be against prisoners human rights to lock them up for long whatever they do here. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:But you say the death penalty is just exacting revenge...then go on to say you  want the guilty to suffer.

And that would have been the end of hope for Winnie Johnson. In the end she never found out where Keith was buried, but she had hope whilst Brady and Hindley were still alive. Does executing someone really bring closure anyway? I doubt they need to be reminded of what happened.

Exactly, they don't need to be reminded.
Regular full page headlines about how their childrens murderers were getting on  was one sure way to do it.

Winnie hoped she would find the truth because the murderers were still alive and taunting her from prison...had they died they couldn't have done that.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Sometimes there is NO doubt at all...eg, this case, in the UK the moors murders, Lee Rigby's killing, numerous cases where guilt has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, where the guilty should  never be allowed freedom.

The death penalty should only be given to the most heinous of cases...and that would be up to the judge not the jury to decide if it was ever reintroduced in this country....which I doubt it will be, it seems to be against prisoners human rights to lock them up for long whatever they do here. Rolling Eyes

Tell that to Jeremy Bamber, who will be in prison for life, despite several appeals.

You mean the only way to be sure that someone's guilty is if they confess or are caught in the act? If you're saying that only those who's guilt is established beyond any doubt should be executed, you're then questioning any jury verdict who finds someone guilty of murder. If someone is found guilty, the assumption is that they're actually guilty.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Regular full page headlines about how their childrens murderers were getting on  was one sure way to do it.

Winnie hoped she would find the truth because the murderers  were still alive and taunting her from prison...had they died they couldn't have done that.

I mean they don't need anything to remind them. Winnie wanted to know where Keith was buried, and she hoped she would find out. If they had been executed she wouldn't have had that hope - which kept her going.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Winnie hoped she would find the truth because the murderers  were still alive and taunting her from prison...had they died they couldn't have done that.

I mean they don't need anything to remind them. Winnie wanted to know where Keith was buried, and she hoped she would find out. If they had been executed she wouldn't have had that hope - which kept her going.
Hope kept her going because Brady and Hindley gave her false hope...they toyed with her, for decades.
She died broken hearted, as did Ann West, who vowed she wouldn't die before Hindley, who callously wrote to Mrs West asking her to stop trying to block her possible release from prison because she wasn't a bad person.

Mrs Wests family was tortured by the fact Hindley would be released one day, they campaigned endlessly...sadly Ann West  died in her 60's broken hearted.

I know the families of those kids would never get over the way their children were tortured and murdered, but imo keeping the proven guilty alive makes it worse.
We wont agree...we never have on the subject of the death penalty.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

http://www.fox4news.com/news/u-s-world/dallas-dad-who-killed-daughters-taunts-wife-at-execution

He was an ass to the end.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Maddog wrote:http://www.fox4news.com/news/u-s-world/dallas-dad-who-killed-daughters-taunts-wife-at-execution

It's probably best not to go and watch someone being executed anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Maddog wrote:http://www.fox4news.com/news/u-s-world/dallas-dad-who-killed-daughters-taunts-wife-at-execution

Yup. Vindictive piece of scum. No tears shed at all here.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Maybe she needed this to help her move on, but she will never recover.

In days gone by, public executions were apparently a great family day out. Originally set up a a deterrent they soon turned into carnival type events like the Terror during the French Revolution. The last public execution in England was 1868 I think but the US had it’s last one in 1936.

I don’t know how I would feel if I was put in her position as to whether I would want to be there.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Cass wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Maybe she needed this to help her move on, but she will never recover.

In days gone by, public executions were apparently a great family day out. Originally set up a a deterrent they soon turned into carnival type events like the Terror during the French Revolution. The last public execution in England was 1868 I think but the US had it’s last one in 1936.

I don’t know how I would feel if I was put in her position as to whether I would want to be there.

There's been plenty of guillotine knitters on forums....
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Executions, watching a hanging, burning at the stake or hanged drawn and quarter were the people entertainment.

They took food, their kids and had a right jolly up, women did knitting in France at the beheadings. Makes you think how could they, but those were the times.

Horrible in my opinion.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down