NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theres a moose loose about my hoose.

+9
'Wolfie
Cass
JulesV
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
eddie
HoratioTarr
nicko
Syl
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Theres a moose loose about my hoose. Empty Theres a moose loose about my hoose.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:22 am

Well its a mouse not a moose, but its causing havoc.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Theres a moose loose about my hoose. Empty Re: Theres a moose loose about my hoose.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 am

Its under the kitchen sink....noticed shredded biodegradable bags and mouse poo 3 nights ago.
Against my better judgment OH bought 2 mouse traps and set them....one went off an hour ago.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Theres a moose loose about my hoose. Empty Re: Theres a moose loose about my hoose.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 am

I have to keep sending posts because for some reason I am getting timed out and losing them.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

Anyway....trap went off, I almost cried because mice are really very cute. By the time OH found a cloth suitable to move the trap, the mouse had freed itself, so its probably crawled off to die.
OH and I are not speaking. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

I have you picture on a stool, like in the old "Fred Quimby" cartoons of "Tom and Jerry"

Thooooomas

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 am

Didge wrote:I have you picture on a stool, like in the old "Fred Quimby" cartoons of "Tom and Jerry"

Thooooomas

lol!

Im not actually scared of mice Didge, obviouly I dont want them in the house though.
This one was coming out at night and leaving quite a mess in the cupboard....it possibly brought all its family, lots of poo.
I just hate the thought of it being injured.
I would have preferred it to have died straight away in the trap.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 am

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:I have you picture on a stool, like in the old "Fred Quimby" cartoons of "Tom and Jerry"

Thooooomas

lol!

Im not actually scared of mice Didge, obviouly I dont want them in the house though.
This one was coming out at night and leaving quite a mess in the cupboard....it possibly brought all its family, lots of poo.
I just hate the thought of it being injured.
I would have preferred it to have died straight away in the trap.

I think you missed my point Sly.

You have a very kind heart though as seen.x

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 am

No i get your point....but i am fearless, no shrieking and standing on chairs for me.....unless its a spider . Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm

The mouse came back, so either it wasn't really hurt or it has family.

Any tips for catching a mouse that would be painless for it?
Its gets in a cupboard, but seems to be getting in under the cupboard, I don't fancy having to pull apart the fitted cupboards or floorboards to see exactly which crack its getting in from.

It definitely likes stilton cheese.Theres a moose loose about my hoose. ParchedTartArcticseal-size_restricted
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Get a Cat? Mind you if it's anything like mine he sometimes brings them in alive and drops them at my feet, and sits there looking pleased with himself.
When they move he catches them and takes them outside to kill them, he then brings them in again and leaves them dead by my feet !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:54 pm

We don't own a cat but next doors cat is here more than there....and she is totally disinterested.
Also....the mouse is so far only has run of the cupboard inside, and I don't want to put mini (the cat) in there.

I have just ordered humane mouse traps from Homebase, so am going to collect them in a bit.
Not sure if they will work....but I will soon find out. Smile
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Syl wrote:Well its a mouse not a moose, but its causing havoc.

Some advice. Don't bother with humane traps. They don't work. If they've been breeding the only thing that will get rid is poison. We had a problem with mice some years ago when a neighbour moved a huge outhouse. The mice living beneath it scattered and swarmed into the surrounding houses. We tried everything. The only thing that got rid was the poison. It takes up to a month to work. But it does work. Then you have the problem of the bodies. In summer it creates fly infestations. It really was horrible. I spent my time being hysterical over it. Thank God hubby isn't squeamish!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Some advice.  Don't bother with humane traps.  They don't work.   If they've been breeding the only thing that will get rid is poison.   We had a problem with mice some years ago when a neighbour moved a huge outhouse.  The mice living beneath it scattered and swarmed into the surrounding houses.   We tried everything.  The only thing that got rid was the poison.  It takes up to a month to work.  But it does work.    Then you have the problem of the bodies.   In summer it creates fly infestations.   It really was horrible.  I spent my time being hysterical over it.   Thank God  hubby isn't squeamish!

Horatio, baby doll.... I’d have been EXACTLY the same. affraid
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Well I have bought the humane ones and set them...so I will see what happens.
A few years ago we had a rat....next door (semi detached) had rats in their loft...OH even removed a dead one because the man was squeamish. Soon after I kept hearing the pitter payer of tiny feet in my loft, tbh I left them to it. What I couldn't see didn't bother me.
Then one night I heard a clatter sliding down a pipe...late that night I opened the kitchen cupboard door and a rat as big as a bloody cat was shuffling about in there.
Obviously I wasn't going to grab it...so I shut the door and next day we set a trap....unfortunately it only caught its tail, and it disappeared, where we never knew.
But.......soon after we could smell something horrible, like a mix of glue and gas, it was obviously decaying somewhere under the floorboards.
The next weeks were a nightmare, because we kept finding maggots...I HATE maggots as much as spiders.
We paid a ratcatcher to come and scout round...he said we were luckuy as there didn't see to be any signs of further rats, but unless we took up the floorboards in the kitchen and lounge we would not find the dead rat...so we had to live with it for weeks.

I masked the smell with Yankee candles.
Yankee candles now make me feel physically sick.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Maggots make me want to actually vomit. They are the spawn of flies and flies are THE filthiest things ever.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Syl wrote:Well I have bought the humane ones and set them...so I will see what happens.
A few years ago we had a rat....next door (semi detached) had rats in their loft...OH even removed a dead one because the man was squeamish. Soon after I kept hearing the pitter payer of tiny feet in my loft, tbh I left them to it. What I couldn't see didn't bother me.
Then one night I heard a clatter sliding down a pipe...late that night I opened the kitchen cupboard door and a rat as big as a bloody cat was shuffling about in there.
Obviously I wasn't going to grab it...so I shut the door and next day we set a trap....unfortunately it only caught its tail, and it disappeared, where we never knew.
But.......soon after we could smell something horrible, like a mix of glue and gas, it was obviously decaying somewhere under the floorboards.
The next weeks were a nightmare, because we kept finding maggots...I HATE maggots as much as spiders.
We paid a ratcatcher to come and scout round...he said we were luckuy as there didn't see to be any signs of further rats, but unless we took up the floorboards in the kitchen and lounge we would not find the dead rat...so we had to live with it for weeks.

I went into my bathroom one day and it was swarming with bluebottles. I nearly had a fucking fit. Turns out a mouse had died under the bath. Mice can crawl through a gap the size of a pencil. After I had stopped screeching, my bloke disposed of the insects and the mouse.

Another time, there was one in the back room. They move so quickly, that's what gives me the jeebies, not the actual mice. I saw it at the same time it saw me, and there was this momentary impasse where mouse eyed woman, then it must have thought...Fuck this! And it zipped along the skirting board, while I let out an involuntary shriek so loud, the dog freaked out, fled via the gap between my knees and nearly knocked me flying. I nearly bust a gut scrabbling to get out of that room.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 pm

eddie wrote:Maggots make me want to actually vomit.  They are the spawn of flies and flies are THE filthiest things ever.  

I'll second that. Can't bear them. They live precisely 6 seconds in our house. I always have a supply of fly spray
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Syl wrote:No i get your point....but i am fearless, no shrieking and standing on chairs for me.....unless its a spider . Shocked

Spiders don't bother me. I won't kill them. Usually get a glass and capture them to put 'em outside.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Well I have bought the humane ones and set them...so I will see what happens.

I went into my bathroom one day  and it was swarming with bluebottles.   I nearly had a fucking fit.   Turns out a mouse had died under the bath.   Mice can crawl through a gap the size of a pencil.     After I had stopped screeching, my bloke disposed of the insects and the mouse.

Another time, there was one in the back room.   They move so quickly, that's what gives me the jeebies, not the actual mice.   I saw it at the same time it saw me, and there was this momentary impasse where mouse eyed woman, then it must have thought...Fuck this!   And it zipped along the skirting board, while I let out an involuntary shriek so loud, the dog freaked out, fled via the gap between my knees and nearly knocked me flying.  I nearly bust a gut scrabbling to get out of that room.

lol!

Though tbh I don't know why I'm laughing. geek

Obviously the blue bottles were maggots that have matured.
When we had the decaying rat we went to Wales and stayed away for a week or so...just to escape the smell.
When we came back there were dozens of dead bluebottles dotted about...horrible things, but even they are preferable to maggots. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

I will let you know if these humane mouse traps work.

I have also cleared the cupboard of all plastic, dusters, J cloths, in fact everything that I think mice may chew on.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

Some advice.  Don't bother with humane traps.  They don't work.   If they've been breeding the only thing that will get rid is poison.   We had a problem with mice some years ago when a neighbour moved a huge outhouse.  The mice living beneath it scattered and swarmed into the surrounding houses.   We tried everything.  The only thing that got rid was the poison.  It takes up to a month to work.  But it does work.    Then you have the problem of the bodies.   In summer it creates fly infestations.   It really was horrible.  I spent my time being hysterical over it.   Thank God  hubby isn't squeamish!

I have a humane trap and it does work - a mouse went in it after the cheese, and I released it at the bottom of the garden.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I have a humane trap and it does work - a mouse went in it after the cheese, and I released it at the bottom of the garden.

Thanks Rags....that has given me hope.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Thanks Rags....that has given me hope.

You might have to wait a little while before the mouse realises there are goodies in the trap. Laughing It's better than killing them though. Also, I have caught many mice in my house in a glass or whatever, so it can be done. I think my cat used to bring them in. You have to be persistent though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

You catch mice in jar???
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm

eddie wrote:You catch mice in jar???

Yes, or a glass or whatever. They only need to stay still for one second and you can put it over them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:You catch mice in jar???

Yes, or a glass or whatever. They only need to stay still for one second and you can put it over them.

Have you ever seen them move. Like oiled weasels. I'd like to see you do this. Get it on YouTube and monetize it. You'll make a fortune.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Syl wrote:I will let you know if these humane mouse traps work.

I have also cleared the cupboard of all plastic, dusters, J cloths, in fact everything that I think mice may chew on.

I think it depends on whether they're breeding. Just one mouse will do it. But when you have dozens, they don't work and the mice aren't stupid. They learn to stay away.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm

get a 12 bore
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Have you ever seen them move.   Like oiled weasels.  I'd like to see you do this.  Get it on YouTube and monetize it.  You'll make a fortune.

Some of them move very fast and others aren't as fast. If they're scared they might stay still just for a moment and then you can get them. I can catch flies in a glass too. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Have you ever seen them move.   Like oiled weasels.  I'd like to see you do this.  Get it on YouTube and monetize it.  You'll make a fortune.

Some of them move very fast and others aren't as fast. If they're scared they might stay still just for a moment and then you can get them. I can catch flies in a glass too. Laughing

Your talent knows no bounds!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Your talent knows no bounds!  

She’s Mr Myagi from karate kid.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 pm

A few years ago you told us you had this very same problem and your hubby killed the mouse. Must be that this new one has come to avenge the death of his big brother. Be afraid! Suspect

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:26 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

I went into my bathroom one day  and it was swarming with bluebottles.   I nearly had a fucking fit.   Turns out a mouse had died under the bath.   Mice can crawl through a gap the size of a pencil.     After I had stopped screeching, my bloke disposed of the insects and the mouse.

Another time, there was one in the back room.   They move so quickly, that's what gives me the jeebies, not the actual mice.   I saw it at the same time it saw me, and there was this momentary impasse where mouse eyed woman, then it must have thought...Fuck this!   And it zipped along the skirting board, while I let out an involuntary shriek so loud, the dog freaked out, fled via the gap between my knees and nearly knocked me flying.  I nearly bust a gut scrabbling to get out of that room.

I am now very traumatized. OH MY GOD.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:28 am

Vic, would you use no;6 shot, or SSG? If you can get 3inch Alphamax BB that would do the job !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

solid slug nicko Wink
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Jules wrote:

A few years ago you told us you had this very same problem and your hubby killed the mouse.  Must be that this new one has come to avenge the death of his big brother. Be afraid! Suspect

A few years ago it was a rat not a mouse, so this is small cheese in comparison. (no pun intended) Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

One of the humane traps has been nudged slightly, but so far little mouse has not gone in.
I have put Stilton cheese in them...they seem to like it, but I might buy some chocolate spread in case they fancy a desert tonight. Theres a moose loose about my hoose. 3922118137
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Vic, "lethal ball" would leave a hole in the floor, a "spread" would be more effective !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:25 pm

eddie wrote:
Maggots make me want to actually vomit.  They are the spawn of flies and flies are THE filthiest things ever.  

Laughing

That means some places you would undoubtedly love to work, then, could include :

Zoos,
Farms,
Stables,
Grain silos,
Food factories,
Compost plants,
Sewerage plants,
Garbage dumps,
Abattoirs,
Hospitals,
Morgues..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Syl wrote:One of the humane traps has been nudged slightly, but so far little mouse has not gone in.
I have put Stilton cheese in them...they seem to like it, but I might buy some chocolate spread in case they fancy a desert tonight. Theres a moose loose about my hoose. 3922118137

We use peanut butter. Works every time.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:32 pm

I put Maggots on hooks for fishing. When it's cold you put a Maggot on your Tongue to warm it up, makes 'em wriggle more !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:36 pm

nicko wrote:I put Maggots on hooks for fishing.    When it's cold you put a Maggot on your Tongue to warm it up,   makes 'em   wriggle more !

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo No pale Theres a moose loose about my hoose. 1363015401
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

nicko wrote:I put Maggots on hooks for fishing.    When it's cold you put a Maggot on your Tongue to warm it up,   makes 'em   wriggle more !

Theres a moose loose about my hoose. Emotigal-fainting-t-w-yram-copyright_zpsec561ef2
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Theres a moose loose about my hoose. Trrfd
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 am

I was told that it's not dangerous to put Maggots in your mouth because they produce Ammonia and that kills all germs ! True or not ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

nicko wrote:I was told that it's not dangerous to put Maggots in your mouth because they produce Ammonia and that kills all germs !     True or not ?

true, although too much ammonia is no good ... but i think that would be a LOT of maggots
Theres a moose loose about my hoose. 3974176704
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Well so much for the humane mouse traps.

It worked, a mouse went in after the food, it ate it all, the other end closed so the mouse was trapped....but its dead. Sad

It cant have suffocated because there are 4 airholes in the tube, I think it must have had a heart attack or something.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I visited a Maggot farm once, the smell of Ammonia, and rotten meat and fish,nearly knocked me out !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Syl wrote:Well so much for the humane mouse traps.

It worked, a mouse went in after the food, it ate it all, the other end closed so the mouse was trapped....but its dead. Sad

It cant have suffocated because there are 4 airholes in the tube, I think it must have had a heart attack or something.

Perhaps the food was not very nice and it died of disappointment?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Syl wrote:Well so much for the humane mouse traps.

It happens Syl. We’ve had the humane ones too and they’ve died. It’s not nice but it’s for the best x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next