NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture

5 posters

Go down

BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture Empty BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 am

ONE of the BBC’s most senior journalists has accused the corporation of a “secretive and illegal BBC pay culture” after she found out her male colleagues earned “at least 50 per cent more” than female staff for the same role.

China editor Carrie Gracie has resigned her role in protest over the remuneration culture at the public broadcaster. She wrote an open letter to UK taxpayers who fund the BBC through a licence fee, explaining why the attitude inside the organisation forced her hand.

“My name is Carrie Gracie and I have been a BBC journalist for three decades. With great regret, I have left my post as China editor to speak out publicly on a crisis of trust at the BBC,” she wrote.

“The BBC belongs to you, the licence fee payer. I believe you have a right to know that it is breaking equality law and resisting pressure for a fair and transparent pay structure.”

The fluent Mandarin speaker and 30-year industry veteran said the BBC is not living up to its “stated values of trust, honesty and accountability”.

It comes after it was forced to disclose the salaries of those earning over £150,000 ($A260,000) in July after a new royal charter designed to insure transparency for fee payers.

“For the first time, women saw hard evidence of what they’d long suspected, that they are not being valued equally,” she said.

Gracie wrote that she insisted on equal pay when taking up the prestigious China role which is one of four international editor positions also covering the US, Middle East and Europe.

They are held by two men and two women, however the July disclosures showed US editor Jon Sopel earned between £200,000-£249,999, ($A346,000-$A432,000) while Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen earned £150,000-£199,999 ($A260,000-$A346,000).

Ms Gracie and Europe editor Katya Adler were not on the list, meaning they both earned less than £150,000 ($A260,000).

more at source
http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/bbc-china-editor-carrie-gracie-resigns-over-secretive-and-illegal-pay-culture-at-organisation/news-story/adac7930969d757d2b97abc3de4d30c4
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture Empty Re: BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Something stinks about this story...

The international editor roles mentioned, will undoubtedly have different levels of workload involved, staff to oversee/manage, actual number of stories being worked on etc... plus other perks/bonus/expenses and local living costs/economic factors would also be considerations... so I'm not surprised to see a variation in salary offered for each position...

Also... how many different jobs/salaries does she have at the BBC...?

Because she was hosting a BBC radio show earlier this week... apparently after she had resigned from the BBC... but on this BBC radio show she was hosting, she spent most of her time bleating on about 'gender pay inequality' and berating the BBC!!!

Anyone else smell a rat here...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture Empty Re: BBC China editor resigns over ‘secretive and illegal’ pay culture

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 am

Arrow

All of those people at that level. will be on individually-negotiated contracts...

Next month you might well see her turning up as a foreign correspondent with Sky or CNN..

For her to quit so suddenly, it's also quite likely that she's been talking to the corporate 'headhunters', and already has job offers on the table.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Women should be paid the same as men if they are doing the same job.
They are not... FACT.

That's all there is to it. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm

They are not doing the same job in this case, for the reasons I mentioned... and what about the rest of what I said...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:They are not doing the same job in this case, for the reasons I mentioned... and what about the rest of what I said...?

Well most of what you said was guesswork Tommy.
And as you  mentioned , the BBC show she hosted this week was after she had resigned.

There has been lots of publicity about how women are paid less than their male counterparts at the BBC.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 pm

she resigned from the Role of Editor for China news
that doesn't mean she resigned from All her roles with the BBC
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 pm

That was my point veya... still working for bbc... maybe she shoul declare her whole bbc salary and positions...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:07 am

Tommy Monk wrote:That was my point veya... still working for bbc... maybe she shoul declare her whole bbc salary and positions...?

The BBC admit that two thirds of its top earners are men...with 8 out of 9 of the highest earning over half a million pounds being male.

ITV are no better, they were paying a female  co presenter on the morning show  a third less than her male co presenter.

Its not a new thing, not sure why some people are pissed off because its finally being addessed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am

Not the same as comparing wages of male/female supermarket checkout workers, or shop assistants etc...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

Not the same as comparing wages of male/female supermarket checkout workers, or shop assistants etc...

Who said it was?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:38 am

You seem to think it is...

Forgetting all other potential factors...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:48 am

I am clear in what I said.
Women should be paid the same as their male counterpart if they are both doing the same job.

Be that co presenting a TV programme and being paid 200K pa less, or a female supervisor at the local Asda getting a few quid less in her pay packet than a male supervisor.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 am

And I have highlighted several factors why there may be differences...

If you choose to ignore them... then that is up to you...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 am

the problem is in roles that are 'individual' a big factor in your pay is your ability to negotiate your worth.

I think a lot of the top media roles are going to come down to 'how much you can win in negotiations' .
Although I do think it is strange they pay the men more, they recently have had this down here with the morning shows and one female host dramatically leaving. I think the female host attracts and maintains as many viewers as the male ones and the definitely have more potential for advertising due to the differences in man and women's fashion/clothing.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am

It's also about creative input behind the scenes, and ratings... amongst other things...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 am

“My name is Carrie Gracie and I have been a BBC journalist for three decades..."

But... I've never heard of her...!!!

Although I have heard of the other 3 mentioned...

Jon Sopel, Jeremy Bowen & Kate Adler...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:12 am

Tommy Monk wrote:“My name is Carrie Gracie and I have been a BBC journalist for three decades..."

But... I've never heard of her...!!!

Although I have heard of the other 3 mentioned...

Jon Sopel, Jeremy Bowen & Kate Adler...

That's probably because Gracie is an editor and as such is involved more in news management than as a regular on-screen presenter, reporter or news or current affairs correspondent.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:And I have highlighted several factors why there may be differences...

If you choose to ignore them... then that is up to you...

I haven't ignored them.
You were making assumptions on why she was paid less, show proof she wasn't doing the same job that required the same pay. She claims she was, I don't think the BBC have denied this.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Different jobs..
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Different jobs..

Take you blinkers off Tommy. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Try to see the bigger picture and other factors that are likely involved...

To be honest, I think they are all overpaid...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I agree they are all ridiculously overpaid.

If Holly Willoughby has received a £200,000 RISE to match Philip Schofields pay...(she was unfairly paid less than him for years even though they do the same job btw) the mind boggles at how much they are actually earning.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/24/holly-willoughby-bags-huge-200k-pay-rise-to-finally-match-philip-schofields-this-morning-wage-6874454/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down