NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People

+3
Ben Reilly
'Wolfie
Cass
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Empty Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People

Post by Guest Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 pm

For a second time, a Texas judge has sentenced Ethan Couch to 10 years' probation for a wreck that killed four people.
The teenager was spared jail due to "affluenza" - being too wealthy to realise the consequences of his actions.

The ruling in Fort Worth on Wednesday was the same previously made by the judge, despite prosecutors once more attempting to argue he should go to prison.
But instead of the 20-year prison sentence demanded, Couch has been ordered by a judge to attend a private £275,200-a-year rehabilitation centre, paid for by his parents.
The teen was driving an SUV three times over the drink-drive limit with seven friends after stealing beer from a supermarket.
While driving 70mph in a 40mph zone they struck another vehicle that had stopped by the side of the road with a flat tyre.
Its driver and three people who had come to her assistance were killed. Two of Couch's passengers were seriously injured- one can no longer move or speak.
Despite the severity of the incident, psychologist, Dr G Dick Miller, testified in court that Couch had been so indulged by his parent growing up that they never established boundaries for his behaviour.
The condition is not recognised by the American Psychiatric Association as a diagnosis.
A year previous to the accident he had been found in a parked vehicle with an unconscious and naked 14-year-old girl, an incident his parents never punished him for.
The sentence handed out by Boyd last year outraged the victims' families.
Florida psychologist Dr Gary Buffone called the verdict "laughable".
He said: "Not only haven't the parents set any consequences, but it's being reinforced by the judge's actions."
Eric Boyles, who lost his wife Hollie, 52, and daughter Shelby, 21, said money had saved the boy a prison sentence.
He said: "Ultimately today, I felt that money did prevail. If [he] had been any other youth, I feel like the circumstances would have been different."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/06/ethan-couch-spared-jail-a_n_4737472.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Empty I always do a search; I could've of sworn that we'd discussed this specific topic/case before 2014...

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 12:26 am

News May 26 2016, 1:49 pm ET

Mom of 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch Indicted for
Helping Son Escape to Mexico

by Corky Siemaszko
The mother of the Texas teenager who infamously invoked an "affluenza" defense while on trial for a fatal drunken-driving crash was indicted Thursday for helping her son escape to Mexico.
Tonya Couch, who is charged with hindering apprehension and money laundering, was indicted by a Tarrant County grand jury, NBC News has confirmed. 
Tonya Couch heads to the defense table before her bond reduction hearing" 

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 160526-tonya-couch-hearing-103p_32fbeb148144f0e8594db522f8233a57.nbcnews-ux-320-320
Tonya Couch, front right, heads to the defense table before her bond reduction hearing on Jan. 11, 2016, in court in Fort Worth, Texas. David Kent / Star-Telegram via AP, pool
 Couch, according to police, withdrew $30,000 from a bank account and then fled across the border with her then 18-year-old son Ethan in December.
The pair was nabbed just before New Year's Day in Puerto Vallarta, where they had tried to blend in with the many Americans celebrating the holiday season in the coastal resort city.                 
Couch was brought back to the United States in January and released from the Tarrant County Jail after posting a $75,000 bond. She remains under electronic surveillance and has to submit to weekly check-ins and undergo regular drug testing.
Ethan Couch, now 19, is currently occupying a cell in the Tarrant County Lon Evans Correction Center. 
Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 160526-ethan-couch-hearing-102p_32fbeb148144f0e8594db522f8233a57.nbcnews-ux-320-320
Ethan Couch is brought into court for a hearing at Tim Curry Justice Center in Fort Worth, Texas, on April 13, 2016. Max Faulkner / Star-Telegram via AP, pool

Ethan Couch was 16 on June 15, 2013, when he got drunk at a party and drove into a group of people on a roadside in Burleson, Texas, killing four and injuring two others out of a possible 9 by standers.
Even though he admitted to the crime and and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, the teenager managed to avoid jail — and was sentenced instead to 10 years probation — after his lawyers convinced a judge he was a victim of his privileged upbringing and unable to tell right from wrong.
Under the terms of his probation, Ethan Couch was not supposed to drink. But after video surfaced which showed him at a party where it appeared alcohol was served, he fled south across the border with his mother, Tonya, to avoid being jailed.
They were nabbed on Dec. 28 after several weeks on the lam.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mom-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-indicted-helping-son-escape-mexico-n580961
This young 16yr old cretin killed 4 people and nearly killed 9 others and missed his probation appointment - was seen partying against the judges admonition, not be drinking again - fled to Mexico and this is what the judge awarded him for punishment Evil or Very Mad  
Judge Orders Texas 'Affluenza' Teen to Serve Nearly 2 Years in Jail
Couch was convicted of four counts of intoxication manslaughter stemming from the deadly June 15, 2013 wreck in Burleson, Texas. In addition to the four dead, nine others were injured.
This just doesn't smack of 'TEXAS' justice to this gray head?

Back to top Go down

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Empty Re: Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People

Post by Cass Fri May 27, 2016 1:28 am

2 Years???????? What the actual hell????

Sickening, absolutely sickening. I am almost lost for words Sad
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Empty Re: Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People

Post by 'Wolfie Fri May 27, 2016 4:15 am

Idea

Such kinds of 'affluenza' injustice aren't unique to places like Texas or Florida, either...

Several years ago, a young woman driving drunk on Mona Vale road in the northern suburbs of greater  Sydney spun her little Ford Laser hatchback out and slammed it backwards into a stone wall/cutting at grossly excessive speed..
She killed a passenger she had in the back of that car (a hatchback, remember -- no third-row seat, let alone any seatbelts..), and severely injured a couple of unrestrained teenage girls on the back seat.

NOT ONLY did she serve no jail time (effectively only convicted on DUI and culpable driving, she would have lost her license for a year or two, and paid a hefty fine..),  but because she was from a wealthy and 'high profile' North Shore family, a local Police Sergeant decided to have her name protected and not made public -- presumably to save the family any "shame" and embarrassment..

That anonymity/confidentiality order was further extended by the judge/magistrate in her subsequent court case...

18 MONTHS LATER, she was again charged and convicted with further drink driving offences -- again with those previous identity-protection orders carried over to her new conviction !      Arrow

"ONE LAW for the wealthy and privileged, and another for everyone else.."
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 am

Please tell me you didn't just lump us in with Florida...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Please tell me you didn't just lump us in with Florida...

Well, Texas is a big place. It's not like it's all Harris County.

As to Couch, with all the hoopla in the media, all he did was break probation by going to Mexico.  It's not as if he robbed a bank, or something.

Everybody's all upset about this case because of the original defense, and his release.  That part is over.  This a minor infraction.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Please tell me you didn't just lump us in with Florida...
Well, Texas is a big place.  It's not like it's all Harris County.

As to Couch, with all the hoopla in the media, all he did was break probation by going to Mexico.  It's not as if he robbed a bank, or something.

Everybody's all upset about this case because of the original defense, and his release.  That part is over.  This a minor infraction.

I'm beginning to feel like you are 'sight impaired' and I am your 'seeing eye dog' Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 60th_thblind2-Copy  

What part of the original OP court case article did you 'MISS READING' this time ...wait - wait; did you even bother to read it at all?
Surely not, our you'd know that the Mad  never mind! 
I'll just end up explaining many times over - where it is - why you missed it - what the judge ordered - why this is STILL VERY RELEVANT ...yada - yada - yada.

And the topic isn't able to move forward because I/we keep having to BACK TRACK to keep you current! Rolling Eyes  Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 1094176690

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Well, Texas is a big place.  It's not like it's all Harris County.

I'm beginning to feel like you are 'sight impaired' and I am your 'seeing eye dog' Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 60th_thblind2-Copy  

What part of the original OP court case article did you 'MISS READING' this time ...wait - wait; did you even bother to read it at all?
I'll just end up explaining many times over - where it is - why you missed it - what the judge ordered - why this is STILL VERY RELEVANT ...yada - yada - yada.

And the topic isn't able to move forward because I/we keep having to BACK TRACK to keep you current! Rolling Eyes  Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 1094176690

Read the title of the thread. It's not about me.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

Read the title of the thread.  It's not about me.

And yet you were telling 4ever all about Didge the other day.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Quiil that's all you ever say when you're found to be wrong. Change the record, or your reading glasses Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 4:18 pm

eddie wrote:Quiil that's all you ever say when you're found to be wrong. Change the record, or your reading glasses Rolling Eyes

Perhaps we should talk again about your resignation, eds. You are constantly in the middle of these "right/wrong" (according to your gang) accusations, which is usually an indication of a cyber war. We have Irn who is doing an excellent job in the GMT zone, backed up by Victor, a fair-minded, if misguided conservative. Laughing I really don't think we need 3 mods in that corner of the globe.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Quill I don't have a gang. Grow up.

And isn't it telling that even though 4ever says the same thing to you I just did, you're too bloody scared to answer her post?

And here comes the excuse about why you answered me like that and not 4ever but I think it's obvious you stick lime glue to the people who frighten you most.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 4:27 pm

eddie wrote:Quill I don't have a gang. Grow up.

And isn't it telling that even though 4ever says the same thing to you I just did, you're too bloody scared to answer her post?

You just contradicted yourself. You immediately refer to your gang for support. THAT is what is telling.

You don't see the forest for the trees.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill I don't have a gang. Grow up.

You just contradicted yourself.  You immediately refer to your gang for support.  THAT is what is telling.  

You don't see the forest for the trees.

I do hope someone will come along and explain that as I have no idea what you're taking about.

Still doesn't answer why you are scared to tackle certain people: it hasn't gone unnoticed and I am quite suprised at your lack of balls, actually.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Quiil if you have a problem with me making a quip about you not reading properly and about reading glasses and you think I should RESIGN because of that....then frankly I can only say:

WHAT A BIG BABY YOU ARE. Go get your mummy to talk to my mummy. Rolling Eyes

Fucking hell. Sorry I picked on you and made you cry.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 5:01 pm

eddie wrote:Quiil if you have a problem with me making a quip about you not reading properly and about reading glasses and you think I should RESIGN because of that....then frankly I can only say:

Resign, eds.  That's all I asked for.

If you want to play in the sandbox, you can't pretend to preach as a mod.  You have a conflict of interest.  We have enough mods in the UK.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quiil if you have a problem with me making a quip about you not reading properly and about reading glasses and you think I should RESIGN because of that....then frankly I can only say:

Resign, eds.  That's all I asked for.

If you want to play in the sandbox, you can't pretend to preach as a mod.  You have a conflict of interest.  We have enough mods in the UK.

I sincerely hope you say that to Vic when he plays in the sandbox or Irn when he's playing in the sandbox with Didge - but you won't, because you only have a problem with women advising you - when they're agreeable you like them, and you leave them alone.
You're colours are showing lately.

Honestly, you act like a big baby sometimes.

But I'll tell you what; put it to a vote. I don't mind. I won't cry about it, as long as you don't.

So you still haven't tackled 4ever for being actually, ruder to you, than I was.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

And yet you were telling 4ever all about Didge the other day.

Of all the posts on this thread about you and you pick on mine.

Deary me Quill. What does that say about you and your "weird obsession" with getting me to resign.....(it's not a real job btw)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

But what you seem unable to "DO" {as you've proved on most every thread todate} is to read the entire post - and that is where you impale yourself with misinformation and get stuck in redundancy because you ASSUME something that isn't CURRENT information!  Rolling Eyes 

This is what I typed when I'd placed the current article into the prior post from
I always do a search; I could've of sworn that we'd discussed this specific topic/case before 2014...
Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Empty by 4EVER2 Yesterday at 6:26 pm
Oh - HELL, YES...if you'd looked at the date of the article - if you'd taken the time to do any reading of any of this information but --- TOO TRUE TO FORM YOU DO NOT DO THAT!  Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2190311264
And yet here you are ...yet again waging an ignorant rant at Eddie about something that you could have rectified had you just taken the time to READ Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2387050134

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 5:44 pm

4Eva wrote:But what you seem unable to "DO" {as you've proved on most every thread todate} is to read the entire post - and that is where you impale yourself with misinformation and get stuck in redundancy because you ASSUME something that isn't CURRENT information!

That's just the current myth that you and your gang are chattering up about presently. Its the most convenient myth for you and your ilk because, frankly, you cant refute things I say.

I am committed to truth, and y'all are pretty much committed to mutual grooming. Consequently, in most issues, things shape out that I end up correct and y'all end up with gangs. What does that look like: I end up with answers and y'all end up harping Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 3408175593 all around me.

You can reach into your bag of myths, but what I have just described fits with rare elegance.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2787774761 Ya' the sad truth that it's your inability to read - to follow a thread that has such a herky-jerky, JAKE-BRAKE way off killing a topic Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 919144451

Gang my ass... Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2023022481

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 27, 2016 7:33 pm

4EVER2 wrote:

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2787774761 Ya' the sad truth that it's your inability to read - to follow a thread that has such a herky-jerky, JAKE-BRAKE way off killing a topic Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 919144451

Gang my ass... Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2023022481

You call it 'tag-team". I call it ganging. It's the same thing. Politics mostly...sometimes it's personal. Here the conservatives were the first to coalesce.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Sweet Jesus ...for the one guy around here that I could count on to have a clear/factual/adult discussion - you've taken this topic off into some diatribe about your own agenda with the number of mods from England, and Eddie specifically Suspect

WTF...come on Quill, bring it back down to earth Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2728977919

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 pm

This twat in op should face proper sentencing for his crimes.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
This twat in op should face proper sentencing for his crimes.

Couldn't agree with you more, Tommy; and this is where I'd hoped we'd be shredding the ability of this Texas - court system to side step the lax attitude of the JUDGE {yet AGAIN} giving this alcoholic kid a slap on his wrist for vehicle homicide and that's ALL.

Well, it's situations & cases like this that have brought down other seated judges and if these families push hard enough I'm quite sure that this dumb butt will become 'un-benched' shortly! 
Infuriating how this spoiled - bottom feeder has been treated so softly Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri May 27, 2016 9:43 pm

California Edit
In the state of California, depending on the degree of recklessness and whether alcohol was involved, a person could be charged with progressively more serious offenses: vehicular manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, or second-degree murder. In any of these cases, the prosecution must prove that the driver committed some wrongful act (which could be a felony, a misdemeanor, an infraction, or a lawful act that might cause death) and that the wrongful act caused the collision and the death of the victim. Murder charges are usually reserved for the most egregious cases, such as a convicted DUI offender who drives recklessly while intoxicated and thereby causes a fatal collision.

Georgia Edit
In the state of Georgia, vehicular homicide is more properly known as homicide by vehicle. It is defined, by statute, as the unlawful killing of another person using a vehicle. To be guilty of the offense, the perpetrator does not have to have an intent to kill, malice aforethought, or premeditation.[10]

There are two degrees of vehicular homicide:

First degree homicide by vehicle

This is a felony that, upon conviction, will result in a sentence of between 3 and 15 years of imprisonment (or between 5 and 20 years for habitual violators), with no parole for at least 1 year.

A homicide is first degree homicide by vehicle if the driver "unlawfully met or overtook a school bus; unlawfully failed to stop after a collision; was driving recklessly; was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; failed to stop for, or otherwise was attempting to flee from, a law enforcement officer; or had previously been declared a habitual violator".[10]

Second degree homicide by vehicle
This is a misdemeanor that, upon conviction, will result in a sentence of up to 1 year (which may be suspended), a fine of up to US$1,000, or both. Second degree homicide by vehicle encompasses all other homicides by vehicle, involving any other violation of the laws governing motor vehicles, that are not classed as first degree homicides.[10]

Louisiana Edit
In the state of Louisiana, vehicular homicide is defined as the killing of a human being while operating a motor vehicle, or other means of conveyance, under the influence of alcohol and/or controlled substances. The minimum punishment is a fine of at least $2,000 (not more than $15,000) and 5–30 years in prison.

And in uk...

1) Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs

This is the most serious drink driving offence. As the level of alcohol consumption increases, so does the severity of the penalty.

The maximum penalty is an unlimited fine and/or 14 years imprisonment; an obligatory disqualification for at least two years (three years if there is a relevant previous conviction); and the obligatory endorsement of the driver’s licence with 3-11 penalty points. The minimum custodial penalty is one year imprisonment.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Clipped from your CA section: Murder charges are usually reserved for the most egregious cases, such as a convicted DUI offender who drives recklessly while intoxicated and thereby causes a fatal collision.
Yes, that would be assuredly on every state within my countries DUI listed offenders case law; but - BUT the defense attorney was allowed to plead a case based on this worthless young bastards
a.) age 16 at the time of the accident {underage and should not have been drinking period}
b.) to use the 'Affluenza' as his defense

And the dumb ass judge went along with it and gave him 2 - 10yr probation sentences with stipulations {but it's all back up there in the original post from 2014 provided by KD or someone else that was a member at that time}

I just pulled that original article and post forward as it was germane for the topic and normally there are an assortment of posts attached that will have other members POV's already posted about this topic. 

I could have sworn that you & I & Sassy had discussed this some where else on here since my membership joining date in Feb. ??? but when I did a word search it didn't pull forward Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2387050134

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri May 27, 2016 11:35 pm

First degree homicide by vehicle

This is a felony that, upon conviction, will result in a sentence of between 3 and 15 years of imprisonment (or between 5 and 20 years for habitual violators), with no parole for at least 1 year.

A homicide is first degree homicide by vehicle if the driver "unlawfully met or overtook a school bus; unlawfully failed to stop after a collision; was driving recklessly; was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; failed to stop for, or otherwise was attempting to flee from, a law enforcement officer; or had previously been declared a habitual violator".
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 12:18 am

Tommy Monk wrote:First degree homicide by vehicle

A homicide is first degree homicide by vehicle if the driver "unlawfully met or overtook a school bus; unlawfully failed to stop after a collision; was driving recklessly; was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; failed to stop for, or otherwise was attempting to flee from, a law enforcement officer; or had previously been declared a habitual violator".
Now - Now ...don't go getting all technically bound up with examples about a case or two that you've heard or read about; there are so many different finite details for each case and in this one specifically:
a.) he was a juvenile
b.) he was allowed to plead a deal before the judge {now I can't remember if there was a jury trial or not} No
c.) this was in 'TEXAS' where a boy-will-be-a-boy and a drinking boy is just part of the way a young man passes the test into manhood down there
I happen to know a mayor of a municipality population 85,000 that had 4 DUI convections on him that were not discharged but he wasn't sentenced for any of them - he was fined - he was still driving on a suspended drivers license - he'd had 4 others written off as diversions {all within 10 yrs time} ...so our DUI laws are only as good as the judges are to adjudicate the sentencing that is allowed for such offences.
Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2787774761  Powerful people and Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Money-stack-smiley-emoticon make adjustments to the laws that people like you and I aren't able to get away with; not that I'd ever be so utterly stupid as to drink or drive.

Speaking of which; do you remember that topic that you and I and Sassy had cussed & discussed this very issue --- about 2 - 3 months ago ...driving me nuts! I know we've talked about this very thing but I can't remember what the topic title was confused  

His case was transferred to the adult system in April. Prosecutors had said the sentence was the maximum Couch could receive under terms set when his case was transferred to an adult court from the juvenile system.
Lawyers for Couch had argued it was excessive.
Attorneys for Couch and prosecutors could not comment on the judge's move due to a gag order he imposed in the case.
At his trial in juvenile court in 2013, a psychologist testifying on his behalf said Couch was so spoiled by his wealthy parents that he could not tell right from wrong. The psychologist described the affliction as "affluenza," and the term quickly became a media buzzword.
Couch was found guilty of intoxication manslaughter and sentenced to 10 years of probation in the juvenile system, a penalty that sparked outrage from critics who ridiculed the affluenza defense and said his family's wealth had helped keep him out of jail.
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-texas-judge-upholds-nearly-two-year-jail-term-for-affluenza-teen-2016-5
And if this had been transferred to this case to the 'ADULT' system ...why then couldn't the JUDGE re-examine the original 2-10yr probation sentence and THROW THE DAM BOOK AT HIM?   Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 12:26 am

I'm not looking at a case or two... I'm quoting the guidelines for all cases!

If he was under the age for drinking then that is just another crime to add to the list... not an excuse..
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 1:37 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I'm not looking at a case or two... I'm quoting the guidelines for all cases!
If he was under the age for drinking then that is just another crime to add to the list... not an excuse..
Well, you certainly have become a 'LAW PROFESSOR' without a leg to stand on then Rolling Eyes

"quoting the guidelines for all cases!" Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2387050134
Just doesn't happen in this country since there are specific adjudicated cases {on the law books from prior years} that have been heard and set a precedence for any new court proceedings - and then there are the 'NEW LAWS' that get passed that modify what each jurisdiction has decided within those local/country/state guidelines as well - then there are the states own supreme court rulings that have established other rulings {either in support/upheld the lower court or ruled against the lower court} and then as I've told you and KEEP TELLING YOU - the age of the accused marked him a juvenile and that has it's own set standards of rules and penalty phase that the judge should have gone by ...but he allowed the defense team to use the 'Affluenza' excuse!

Read this and do try to obsorb it dear Tommy: Our legal system in AMERICA IS NOT A ONE SIZE FITS ALL - IT VARIES FROM STATE TO STATE - FROM COUNTY TO COUNTY - FROM CITY TO CITY!  Stop trying to box it into something that you prefer! Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 3143589420

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 28, 2016 3:21 am

Nobody has any answer for this:

Quill wrote:All he did this time around was break probation by going to Mexico. It's not as if he robbed a bank, or something.

Everybody's all upset about this case because of the original defense, and his release. That part is over. This a minor infraction.

He was sentenced to probation the first time. On breaking the terms of probation, the judge got another bite at the apple.

CNN wrote:After Couch serves whatever jail term [Judge] Salvant decides as a probation condition, Couch will be released -- again, on probation. He wouldn't face additional jail time unless he violated the probation terms from that point forward.

The Judge repeated the probation and ordered an additional rehab program. Nothing to see children. Move along, now.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 28, 2016 4:47 am

4EVER2 wrote:Sweet Jesus ...for the one guy around here that I could count on to have a clear/factual/adult discussion - you've taken this topic off into some diatribe about your own agenda with the number of mods from England, and Eddie specifically Suspect

WTF...come on Quill, bring it back down to earth Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2728977919

Awww...did I not turn out to be your Prince Charming? Sucha Pitty.

Wimmin! Always trying to change you!! Fortunately, I have a mind of my own. Razz

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2Q==

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 11:29 am

I'm just quoting what I found and saying what I think should have happened in my opinion

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I'm just quoting what I found and saying what I think should have happened in my opinion
It's really hard to explain where you go 'off track' with your line of thoughts if you never provide the link/article and source for your "quoting what I found" ...when you make statements that I know to be in complete error. 

And it's very frustrating, Tommy - because you have in the past brought an article into a discussion that was rife with pure BS and written by a blogger that could care less that you would repeat his ignorance as well.  So, please ...always bring your 'SOURCE' along with you and we can look at what/where you read; there are as many fake/worthless places as there are great and reliable ones out there. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 12:42 pm

You do talk twaddle...

Here is where I found what I quoted...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Original Quill wrote:
CNN wrote:After Couch serves whatever jail term [Judge] Salvant decides as a probation condition, Couch will be released -- again, on probation. He wouldn't face additional jail time unless he violated the probation terms from that point forward.
The Judge repeated the probation and ordered an additional rehab program.  Nothing to see children.  Move along, now.
What link & date was that quoted segment from CNN that you used?

The reason I'm asking is:
Yes, Couch violated his probation - even before he fled to Mexico ...it was what promoted the fleeing - his MOTHER knew the FB/Twitter posts had exposed his & his parents deception to the court and he was violating his probation.

But upon his return: in April Couch was turned over to the Adult Court System, since he'd turned 18 ...why would a judge only give him such a light sentence for killing 4 humans during the DUI event = 2 years incarceration time? 

That's the sequence of events that 'we' who have read and followed this case, just can't fathom and telling us to "move along children" is really beneath you and pure asinine BS!  But continue with that line of posting and I will move along and you will become one of those that seem worthy of contempt around here! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 12:45 pm

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/drink_driving/penalties-for-drink-driving.html

Here is where I found the UK law stuff...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:You do talk twaddle...

Here is where I found what I quoted...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

Well, hells - bells...let me put this into gutter speak that you enjoy and can fully grasp;
you are a FUCK WIT and I do try to be polite but you and your FUCK WIT ways just go beyond pushing the FUCK WIT buttons
Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Villag11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 12:55 pm

I am a fuk wit for thinking the twat should have faced jail...?

I am a fuk wit for showing examples in law (both usa and uk  law) Where the twat should have faced jail...?

But you also think that the twat should have faced jail... don't you...!?

So... are you saying that you are a fuk wit too...!?

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 28, 2016 1:33 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
The Judge repeated the probation and ordered an additional rehab program.  Nothing to see children.  Move along, now.
What link & date was that quoted segment from CNN that you used?

Donno, didn't record. If you have any problem finding an article, simply highlight & lift a sentence or two, and put it in Google search. The precise wording will track down the article.

4EVA wrote:The reason I'm asking is:
Yes, Couch violated his probation - even before he fled to Mexico ...it was what promoted the fleeing - his MOTHER knew the FB/Twitter posts had exposed his & his parents deception to the court and he was violating his probation.

Yes, he was videoed drinking and it was put on a site. There was no deception; he just got busted.

4Eva wrote:But upon his return: in April Couch was turned over to the Adult Court System, since he'd turned 18 ...why would a judge only give him such a light sentence for killing 4 humans during the DUI event = 2 years incarceration time? 

On his return, he was 19-years old so they transferred him to adult court. The transfer was for custodial purposes only, and had no effect on his sentence. He did have to suffer the consequences for breaking probation (drinking). He was ordered to go into an expensive (around $275,000) rehab program.

4Eva wrote:That's the sequence of events that 'we' who have read and followed this case, just can't fathom and telling us to "move along children" is really beneath you and pure asinine BS!  But continue with that line of posting and I will move along and you will become one of those that seem worthy of contempt around here! Rolling Eyes

Read, and not understood. I've been around here a lot longer than you pal, and explained things a lot better.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 1:52 pm

FIRST RULING - 2014 >
The ruling in Fort Worth on Wednesday was the same previously made by the judge, despite prosecutors once more attempting to argue he should go to prison.
But instead of the 20-year prison sentence demanded, Couch has been ordered by a judge to attend a private £275,200-a-year rehabilitation centre, paid for by his parents.
Couch and Mommy dearest fled to Mexico

Then > But upon his return: in April Couch was turned over to the Adult Court System, since he'd turned 18 ...why would a judge only give him such a light sentence for killing 4 humans during the DUI event = 2 years incarceration time

If you don't know and 'YOU' don't care to be part of this adult discussion any longer then by all means just avoid the entire topic 'PAL' ...

Don't know how far that burr got wedged up your arse but it seems to be causing you serious attitude problems --- but your gender do seem to be suffering from mass amounts of that around here  Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2686688521

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Play in the sandpit politely please, children.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 2:49 pm

eddie wrote:Play in the sandpit politely please, children.
Rolling Eyes

Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People Resized_threads-dead-meme-generator-thread-s-dead-baby-09bf2d

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 28, 2016 2:58 pm

4EVA wrote:Then > But upon his return: in April Couch was turned over to the Adult Court System, since he'd turned 18 ...why would a judge only give him such a light sentence for killing 4 humans during the DUI event = 2 years incarceration time?

Double jeopardy, idiot. WTF do they teach in Kansas, smoke-a-rope? Try the Fifth Amendment:

US Constitution wrote:"[N]or shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb . . . ."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 3:33 pm

Double jeopardy, idiot. WTF do they teach in Kansas, smoke-a-rope? Try the Fifth
Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2387050134 Sad, such a sad thing to see when you've dissolved into the ranting - immature behavior that the others have stated you exhibit ...

WOW, I had such high hopes you were above that! Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm

to respond would be gratuitous. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 28, 2016 10:59 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:I'm just quoting what I found and saying what I think should have happened in my opinion
It's really hard to explain where you go 'off track' with your line of thoughts if you never provide the link/article and source for your "quoting what I found" ...when you make statements that I know to be in complete error. 

And it's very frustrating, Tommy - because you have in the past brought an article into a discussion that was rife with pure BS and written by a blogger that could care less that you would repeat his ignorance as well.  So, please ...always bring your 'SOURCE' along with you and we can look at what/where you read; there are as many fake/worthless places as there are great and reliable ones out there. Razz

I posted the two links I quoted from... one for the USA law and one for the UK law...

I know in the USA you have varying laws/punishments on a variety of things between states etc... but it appeared to me from what I did read, that each state did differentiate between the accidental killing of someone while driving and while being totally unintentional and accidental and driver otherwise being fully compliant with the law and rules/regulations etc... and the accidental killing of someone while driving and while there were other criminal factors involved...

From what I read... if a driver "accidentally" killed others while driving but was drunk or high on drugs... then this will not be treated as an innocent accident... but treated much the same as an intentional killing of someone while driving... and treated as a murder and felony... and prison sentence would be inevitable!!!

Now... as you have rubbished everything I posted about this... Maybe you could show us some credible site with the information on what would be the general rules on law and expected sentencing for someone who caused death while driving drunk or high on drugs...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 11:45 pm

Now... as you have rubbished everything I posted about this... Maybe you could show us some credible site with the information on what would be the general rules on law and expected sentencing for someone who caused death while driving drunk or high on drugs...?
Are you carrying a 'mouse' around in your pocket?
To WHOM is the 'US' that you are referencing there?

Listen Tommy, I do appreciate your thirst for information about our vast/quirky laws over here but you really need to focus on this single issue Wink 
This under age worthless juvenile delinquent and why his first judge opted to give him so much latitude with that 'AFFLUENZA' defense and only probation - then when he busted that and fled - he returned to be awarded only a 2 year sentence for killing 4 people.

Quill, seems to think that it would be a double jeopardy because he can't be tried twice; I'm asking WTF - he wasn't tried at all - the judge sentenced him - this was handled as a DUI case ONLY, something our QUILL can't manage to read - has completely ignored and yet managed to go off topic to just befuddle the entire topic about 'tag teaming/attacking a MOD/women are pissy/and just a insane rant that netted nothing of merit to the topic.  
Though a trial is the most high profile phase of the criminal justice process, most criminal cases are resolved well before trial -- through "guilty" or "no contest" pleas, plea bargains, or dismissal of charges. In particular, most DUI cases do not reach the trial stage. In the majority of these cases, the arraignment usually represents the first and last time the defendant will be in court, as most DUI offenders choose to plead guilty or enter into a plea bargain in order to avoid a trial, especially if the government's evidence is strong -
 http://dui.findlaw.com/dui-cases/dui-trial.html#sthash.0Rae4NxK.dpuf
So even though I'm not as fluent in legalize as our resident Quill {legal eagle minded dude} I'm doing the best that I am able to keep explaining this to you.  So QUIT trying to read any thing British Law into this - will ya!  Good Grief, man...and then tell me I'm 'WAFFLING' ~~~

Do you grasp the concept of 'TRAFFIC COURT'?  That this was his first DUI - underage drinking offence and having the opportunity to keep it under the 'juvenile court procedures his ass was saved in so many ways.  So the bat rasturd judge gives him 10 years probation with 'you must attend a alcoholic program and your parents have to pay for it, yada-yada-yada' --- and you know the rest of the story!

But when they catch him/them and they are forced to return; this is where the great state of TEXAS and this judge only giving this 18yr old Couch 2 years of jail time --- Ethan Couch Spared Jail Again Due To 'Affluenza' After Killing Four People 2190311264 

I have no answer Tommy; it's beyond belief and I hope that this judge gets disbarred - thrown out of the Texas legal system and never allowed to hear another legal brief EVER! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

You are one ignorant cunnus.  Of course Couch was tried (as a juvenile)--where do you think the affluenza defense was plead?--and received the sentence he did.  You can't receive a sentence without a trial (a trial in this sense is the whole proceeding from arraignment to sentencing).  duh.  Do you think you can work backwards and redo the sentencing part?  That's what double jeopardy is there for.

If you don't like the way things are done, you go on this bullshit rampage venting your rage.  You make up more shit than Donald Trump.  Nobody fookin' cares.

Tommy is asking the legitimate questions.  You don't even know enough to realize it.  He wants to know what are the standards of the law when the defendant driver is drunk, and someone is killed.  It's called vehicular homicide.

NOLO answers the question this way:

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Vehicular-manslaughter.htm wrote:Many states recognize different degrees of vehicular manslaughter. Statutes typically authorize more severe punishment for vehicular manslaughter convictions involving drunk or drugged drivers, as opposed to convictions based on non-DUI traffic offenses. For example, in Georgia, a driver who causes a death while intoxicated can be charged with first-degree vehicular homicide, a felony carrying up to fifteen years in prison. But a driver who causes a death while committing a moving traffic offense (such as failure to maintain lane position), is guilty of second-degree vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor carrying a maximum of a year in jail.

Penalties for vehicular manslaughter (both misdemeanors and felonies) differ greatly from state to state. In Alabama, for example, a person convicted of vehicular manslaughter based on DUI faces a maximum of five years in prison, while a person in Minnesota convicted of the same offense faces up to thirty years’ incarceration.

This doesn't begin to consider the juvenile side of the case.  Since the crash occurred before he was 18-years old, Couch was tried as a juvenile.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next