NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists

+5
Tommy Monk
eddie
Raggamuffin
Syl
Victorismyhero
9 posters

Go down

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists Empty 'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists

Post by Guest Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 am

‘Selfitis’ is a genuine mental condition and people who feel compelled to continually post pictures of themselves on social media may need help, psychologists have warned.

The term was first coined in 2014 to describe obsessive selfie-taking in a spoof news story which suggested the American Psychiatric Association was considering classifying it as a disorder.

Following on from the hoax, researchers at Nottingham Trent University and Thiagarajar School of Management in India decided to investigate whether there was any truth in the phenomenon.

They have now confirmed the ‘selfitis’ does indeed exist and have even developed a ‘Selfitis Behaviour Scale’ which can be used to assess its severity.

Dr Mark Griffiths, Distinguished Professor of Behavioural Addiction in Nottingham Trent University’s Psychology Department, said: “A few years ago, stories appeared in the media claiming that the condition of selfitis was to be classed as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association.

“Whilst the story was revealed to be a hoax, it didn’t mean that the condition of selfitis didn’t exist. We have now appeared to confirm its existence and developed the world’s first Selfitis Behaviour Scale to assess the condition.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/15/selfitis-obsessive-need-post-selfies-genuine-mental-disorder/

Back to top Go down

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists Empty Re: 'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 am

psychobabble
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists Empty Re: 'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:34 am

and why is it posted under "science" ?
Psychology is NOT a science

it doesnt obey the "scientific principles"

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am

Lord Foul wrote:psychobabble

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists Tumblr_mphliyWFnx1s4rha3o2_250

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:36 am

Lord Foul wrote:and why is it posted under "science" ?
Psychology is NOT a science

it doesnt obey the "scientific principles"

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists 200

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Selfitis and duck gob seem to go hand in hand.
Peoples obsession with capturing themselves on camera anytime, anyplace anywhere is very odd.
Its all connected with vanity and yearning for other peoples approval imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:54 pm

It's the endless photos that annoy me. The constant posturing and pouting and filtering.

I have a Facebook mum who constantly posts photos of her fourteen year old in full make-up, with a posy of flowers round her head a-la filter filth, and wearing next to nothing with the title:

"My beautiful daughter".

Yes she's lovely. But what has she done to make you feel proud?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:32 pm

eddie wrote:It's the endless photos that annoy me. The constant posturing and pouting and filtering.

I have a Facebook mum who constantly posts photos of her fourteen year old in full make-up, with a posy of flowers round her head a-la filter filth, and wearing next to nothing with the title:

"My beautiful daughter".

Yes she's lovely. But what has she done to make you feel proud?

Ouch

Your distain should be for the mother and not the child.

The point here is that people feel they have lost the ability to have courage and respect.

They now think that posting pictures, is a way to gain respect and not deeds what people do

Hence recognition is sadly now based on how well people look

Its great that a parent loves her child. That should never be used against anyone or that they are proud that they look lovely. What has to be addressed is how now we have become so vain. Its not her daughters fault, how her mother acts. Her daughter will have learnt this from her or her father or relatives and friends

Just saying and the reality is, to me that parents today are to blame. That they have allowed the internet, to become their babysitter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm

I really don't like that pouting nonsense. It makes women look like complete airheads.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Didge I totally agree it's the mother and not the child.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:Didge I totally agree it's the mother and not the child.

Indeed Eddie

I am actually worrried now how children are being raised.

They will have the lowest self esteem in history

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Didge I totally agree it's the mother and not the child.

Indeed Eddie

I am actually worrried now how children are being raised.

They will have the lowest self esteem in history

Yep. I think you're right.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Syl wrote:Selfitis and duck gob seem to go hand in hand.
Peoples obsession with capturing themselves on camera anytime, anyplace anywhere is very odd.

Good evening Syl...

I have no idea what 'duck gob' is...?

But is the rest of what you said really that surprising/odd, given that the overwhelming vast majority of those who are doing it, have grown up being filmed/photographed by their parents and then having these images being critiqued/shown off etc...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Good evening Syl...

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists 3489511464

hahahaha, it's where girls/women pout their lips unnaturally. it seems fashionable to have lip fillers to plump out the lips and make them fuller but it gives the impression of a ducks bill cos they stick out and look stupid. that and their eyes widened to saucer size makes them just look like vacant imbeciles to my mind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 pm

gelico wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Good evening Syl...

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists 3489511464

hahahaha, it's where girls/women pout their lips unnaturally.  it seems fashionable to have lip fillers to plump out the lips and make them fuller but it gives the impression of a ducks bill cos they stick out and look stupid.  that and their eyes widened to saucer size makes them just look like vacant imbeciles to my mind

Define natural?

What is the bench mark?

The only imbicilles that come to mind, is those that state what others should look as you do.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Totally agree!

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:44 am

cyclops

Them there 'psychologists' can be pretty good at "stating the bleeding obvious" with some of these ground-shaking research efforts, when they put their minds to it...

Must have had too much spare time on their hands, and maybe a random research grant floating around, burning a hole in their collective pockets..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Good evening Syl...

But is the rest of what you said really that surprising/odd, given that the overwhelming vast majority of those who are doing it, have grown up being filmed/photographed by their parents and then having these images being critiqued/shown off etc...?

Just seen this post....Good evening Tommy.
Gelico explained Duck gob...here is an example, seems its been going on longer than first thought.  Laughing

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists 0f7ad53d4a553be663fdeaa252d63a72
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Having once been rudely (and quite viciously) elbowed aside by a selfie stick wielding Asian lady as I stood in awe before Rubens' masterpiece The Adoration of the Magi in King's College Chapel, Cambridge, I can only agree with the thread title.

Once suitably disposing of my unwanted presence, she proceeded to take endless photos of herself gurning like a village idiot with one of the world's greatest paintings reduced to a mere backdrop.

As Rene Artois would have said, "stupid woman..."
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Having once been rudely (and quite viciously) elbowed aside by a selfie stick wielding Asian lady as I stood in awe before Rubens' masterpiece The Adoration of the Magi in King's College Chapel, Cambridge, I can only agree with the thread title.

Once suitably disposing of my unwanted presence, she proceeded to take endless photos of herself gurning like a village idiot with one of the world's greatest paintings reduced to a mere backdrop.

As Rene Artois would have said, "stupid woman..."

Razz

Some people are so rude.

I know its not on the same scale, but I can imagine how you felt because I once worked in a club in the Isle of Man, at the end of season, to draw in customers who were now thin on the ground, the management decided to hire a stripper.
I was a floor waitress, and the abuse I got from salivating men when I was doing my job serving drinks if I happened to inadvertently block their view was very hurtful. snobby

Not sure why your story brought back that memory....but it did.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I've taken a few selfies, but had the common sense to realize that no one really wants to see my face. I don't even want to see my face.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:57 pm

'Selfitis’ - the obsessive need to post selfies - is a genuine mental disorder, say psychologists Img_8910
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down