NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Germany bans children's smartwatches

Go down

Germany bans children's smartwatches Empty Germany bans children's smartwatches

Post by Guest Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 am

A German regulator has banned the sale of smartwatches aimed at children, describing them as spying devices. It had previously banned an internet-connected doll called, My Friend Cayla, for similar reasons. Telecoms regulator the Federal Network Agency urged parents who had such watches to destroy them. One expert said the decision could be a "game-changer" for internet-connected devices.

"Poorly secured smart devices often allow for privacy invasion. That is really concerning when it comes to kids' GPS tracking watches - the very watches that are supposed to help keep them safe," said Ken Munro, a security expert at Pen Test Partners.

"There is a shocking lack of regulation of the 'internet of things', which allows lax manufacturers to sell us dangerously insecure smart products.

"Using privacy regulation to ban such devices is a game-changer, stopping these manufacturers playing fast and loose with our kids' security," he added.

In a statement, the agency said it had already taken action against several firms offering such watches on the internet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42030109

Back to top Go down

Germany bans children's smartwatches Empty Re: Germany bans children's smartwatches

Post by Cass Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

As with any technology, if it’s out there, it can be hacked.

Phone tracker apps are pretty much the same. Why aren’t the Germans banning those as well?

Personally I think it should be left up to the parent if they want to be able to track their child or not.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Germany bans children's smartwatches Empty Re: Germany bans children's smartwatches

Post by Guest Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Cass wrote:As with any technology, if it’s out there, it can be hacked.

Phone tracker apps are pretty much the same. Why aren’t the Germans banning those as well?

Personally I think it should be left up to the parent if they want to be able to track their child or not.

I agree its up to the parents to deicide and you make a good point on trackers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down