NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans

5 posters

Go down

Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans Empty Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans

Post by Guest Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Universities that use "no platforming" and "safe spaces" to shut down free speech could face action from the new higher education regulator, the Government has announced. Jo Johnson, the universities minister, said young people and students need to "accept the legitimacy of healthy vigorous debate" as he outlined plans for the Office for Students (OfS).

According to the Times, this could include powers to fine, suspend or deregister universities if they do not meet a statutory duty to commit to free speech in their governance documents. But any proposals will form part of a consultation to help establish how the OfS will operate in its regulation of English universities.

It will be able to hold universities to account on their duty to secure free speech, ensuring it is upheld by staff, student unions and student societies, the Department for Education (DfE) said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/19/universities-told-must-commit-free-speech-new-plans/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/14/90-percent-universities-restricting-free-speech-study-finds/

Back to top Go down

Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans Empty Re: Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans

Post by Guest Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Too bad that ruling doesn't apply to online forums

Back to top Go down

Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans Empty Re: Universities told they 'must commit to free speech' under new plans

Post by eddie Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:Too bad that ruling doesn't apply to online forums

In what way have we impeded your right to speak freely?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Says the one who thinks he is shutting people up by putting them on ignore.
He even threatened a mod the other day. Razz

People who bang on about free speech should be prepared to hear it as well as speak it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Syl wrote:Says the one who thinks he is shutting people up by putting them on ignore.

People who bang on about free speech should be prepared to hear it as well as speak it.

Yeah. We know it, he doesn't.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Actually this isn't unusual on forums.
Quite a few people who like to shout loudly about their own views are very picky when it comes to listening to others.

Aren't forum folk odd? What a Face
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 pm

I forget. Doesn't the UK have laws prohibiting expressions of Fascist/Nazi beliefs and symbols?

Isn't that an antinomy? How do they handle that?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm

eddie wrote:

whoa whoa whoa sweetheart

i never said newsfix needs it

here at newsfix we are a haven for the verbally oppressed, a veritible bastion of discourse and intellectual banter, free speech abounds with every letter type and word spoken

i was thinking more like twitter and facebook where you get arrested and imprisoned for the wrong opinion

do you think newsfix impedes peoples right to speak freely??

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:I forget.  Doesn't the UK have laws prohibiting expressions of Fascist/Nazi beliefs and symbols?

Isn't that an antinomy?  How do they handle that?

Well we obviously have hate speech laws Quill.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Says the one who thinks he is shutting people up by putting them on ignore.

can you inform syl she requested i put her on ignore

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
eddie wrote:

can you inform syl she requested i put her on ignore

Fibber. Laughing

smelly-bandit wrote:
i dont care about your opinion syl, its mostly irrelevant to me

i do care about the fact that you think i need to respect and obey your opinion though

Syl wrote
My opinion is obviously not irrelevant to you as you seem overly keen in dissecting many of my posts, that more often than not differ greatly from yours.....thankfully.

I care about the respect of people I myself respect, which would count you out.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
smelly-bandit wrote
you have a very large opinion of yourself

dont confuse me responding to you with me respecting your opinions.

if you do not want me to respond to you then your wish is my command

i will place on you the ignore list and you will no longer be bothered by me.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Too bad that ruling doesn't apply to online forums

Rolling Eyes

You're singing to the choir there, dipshit...

Take your idiotic complaints to some of those forums that are actively against "free speech"..

InaFlap, the NRA, KKK, and ISIS, could all be much more suitable candidates.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 am

"In a flap is against free speech"? That just shows your ignorance !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:55 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
eddie wrote:

whoa whoa whoa sweetheart

i never said newsfix needs it

here at newsfix we are a haven for the verbally oppressed, a veritible bastion of discourse and intellectual banter, free speech abounds with every letter type and word spoken

i was thinking more like twitter and facebook where you get arrested and imprisoned for the wrong opinion

do you think newsfix  impedes peoples right to speak freely??

Firstly, don't call me sweetheart. Really.

Secondly, you said "online forums" - Facebook and Twitter aren't classed as forums and besides that, you were talking about here, your last question and all the whining you've done presently and previously, proves that.

And in answer to your last question: No.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm

And he didn't come back to admit he lied about me either.
No doubt because he has me on ignore,,,,though I doubt it. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down