NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report

Go down

CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report Empty CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:00 am

Police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) have “filtered out” allegations of racism from dozens of murder and manslaughter cases that have come before the courts in the last 10 years, a damning report has found.

Since 2000, judges have had a duty to hand down harsher sentences for any offence that can be shown to have been racially or religiously aggravated. But researchers from the think-tank the Institute for Race Relations (IRR) analysed 93 deaths with a known or suspected racial element since the new law came into effect, and found that in more than half of cases, evidence of the defendant’s motivation was stripped out during the investigation or prosecution process.

The report concludes that the criminal justice system still does not have a clear enough understanding of how racism is a contributory factor to serious crime and suggests it is too often being disregarded.

“It [racism] has to be at its most overt and brutal – and uncontaminated by any other external factor – to be accepted by the criminal justice system,” the report concludes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cps-is-ignoring-racist-motivation-in-murder-and-manslaughter-cases-says-damning-report-9102651.html

Back to top Go down

CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report Empty Re: CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 am

perhaps deciding when it was racially motivated is the problem, the report did say it included suspected racial, so if a Jew is mugged in the street and beaten up, how do you decide if they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time or they were attacked because they were jewish.

Back to top Go down

CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report Empty Re: CPS is ignoring racist motivation in murder and manslaughter cases, says damning report

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 am

Because if you read there are other factors that point to them be racial, like one where he states "I am going to kill a Paki"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 am

PhilDidge wrote:Because if you read there are other factors that point to them be racial, like one where he states "I am going to kill a Paki"

i'm sure some are clear cut but many won't be and you cannot assume they were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:54 am

heavenly father wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Because if you read there are other factors that point to them be racial, like one where he states "I am going to kill a Paki"

That is the point, you see that as clear cut, but it was not used by the CPS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:14 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

That is the point, you see that as clear cut, but it was not used by the CPS

I guess they had their reasons as they knew they would get hassle for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down